Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rice cookers! Are you kidding me?

Are Pia and I the only ones having difficulties with rice cookers?

Before leaving da phils and in anticipation of significant rice consumption when together here, Pia and i bought a rice cooker. It was reportedly the best brand available. Can't recall what it was. Anyway, it burned rice on the 3/4 occasions we used it, then it decided it would not work anymore. Great!!!!

We then bought a Breville rice cooker in Currys and the end of August. It also burned the rice a bit and would usually undercook the rice. Last night the aluminium ring under the actual rice pot, melted shortly after we started it giving off incredibly toxic fumes.

What is going on? Help!
    Be responsible with little so that you can be trusted with much!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Piamed View Post

Before leaving da phils and in anticipation of significant rice consumption when together here, Pia and i bought a rice cooker. It was reportedly the best brand available. Can't recall what it was. Anyway, it burned rice on the 3/4 occasions we used it, then it decided it would not work anymore. Great!!!!

We then bought a Breville rice cooker in Currys and the end of August. It also burned the rice a bit and would usually undercook the rice. Last night the aluminium ring under the actual rice pot, melted shortly after we started it giving off incredibly toxic fumes.

What is going on? Help!
    You been buying overpriced duff stuff.......

A week after Jet arrived, in Septenber 2007, we went to Lidl, and we purchased an Italian made rice cooker.
    It was just about short of a tenner, and it has been working very well since.
    Not a burnt grain of rice anywhere....
    It can also be used as a steamer and Jet, more often than not, makes the most wonderful Leche Flan.....

Respected Member maria_and_matt's Avatar
    rice cookers here are not very good, my rice cooker i got in the philippines changed the plug its already 7 yrs old it still works well. buy pinoyjoke
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, the courage to change the things i can and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people i had to kill because they pissed me off.

Hello mate, we have the Breville one from Curry's Argos etc, just take it back and get another one, we have had no trouble with that one, its the really good one, and we have had it for about 2 years, no problems.

we dont have a rice cooker here but so far we manage to cook rice with no problems..

london well away from those people up norf
    We got one from Argos we use it for rice pasta and Steaming vegatables.

For some reason the cheaper the better seems to be best for this product

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post

same here amigohow are n and pia?

hope pia is doing well miss talking to her, will catch up sometimes

cheers
    ann

Quote Originally Posted by aromulus View Post
    You been buying overpriced duff stuff.......

A week after Jet arrived, in Septenber 2007, we went to Lidl, and we purchased an Italian made rice cooker.
    It was just about short of a tenner, and it has been working very well since.
    Not a burnt grain of rice anywhere....
    It can also be used as a steamer and Jet, more often than not, makes the most wonderful Leche Flan.....
    You are right Dom, although the one bought is da Phils cost about £11 and the one here £24:99. I will take this one back today and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by maria_and_matt View Post
    rice cookers here are not very good, my rice cooker i got in the philippines changed the plug its already 7 yrs old it still works well. buy pinoyjoke
    You, i think you may be right. Hmmn!

Quote Originally Posted by ginapeterb View Post
    Hello mate, we have the Breville one from Curry's Argos etc, just take it back and get another one, we have had no trouble with that one, its the really good one, and we have had it for about 2 years, no problems.
    Thanks mate. I will see what happens. Unfortunately, we cannot find the actual receipt although I have an entry on my bank statement which I will take along.

Quote Originally Posted by kimmi View Post
    we dont have a rice cooker here but so far we manage to cook rice with no problems..
    True! I always cooked rice that way and had no probs. Just thought it might be easier as I expected to be consuming gigantic portions of rice but that has not panned out that way. We eat as much rice as I did on my own before Pia came.

Pia cooked rice in a pot yesterday and it was the best we've had since she came here. Hmmn!

Quote Originally Posted by andypaul View Post

If for some reason we get a refund from Currys. We'll give that a go mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Ann07 View Post
    same here amigohow are n and pia?

hope pia is doing well miss talking to her, will catch up sometimes

cheers
    ann
    Hi amiga. Muzta? How is that cute baby of yours? Pia and I were talking about you with Elenea a few days ago. We will call you soon. We hope to drive up to Scottie soon and seee you Kimmi, Islander, etc. Unfortunately though Pia does not travel well. She wa the same on the Bachelor Express in Mindanao. She hates the smell of our new car! I will buy her a tricycle or a side car we can attach to the bigger one so she does not have that problem.

i bought a cheapy rice cooker in wilkinson so far i dont have a problem in it.
    all things are possible!

She wa the same on the Bachelor Express in Mindanao. She hates the smell of our new car!
    Riding on the Bachelor Express, or the Metro Shuttle, is enough to make anyone feel ill!

Quote Originally Posted by vbkelly View Post
    i bought a cheapy rice cooker in wilkinson so far i dont have a problem in it.
    Cool! I got areplacement today ad it worked really well. I made some nice rice to go with my beef with bamboo shoots. It was so spicy but masarap.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Riding on the Bachelor Express, or the Metro Shuttle, is enough to make anyone feel ill!
    Got a point mate!

my friend here bought me a rice cooker from argos and its only 19.99 its http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...inning--00xx3: it cooks the rice perfect!
    Filipina a born survivor!

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    We cook rice every day. Rice cooker, never, we use a heavy based saucepan.

We use basmati rice, 4 measures of rice, rinsed, add 6 measures of water, add salt, bring to boil stir, cover and simmer as slowly as possible. When all water has evaporated, allow to stand for 5 mins. Result fluffy. perfect rice.

Sorry, I know this will be basic to most people, but when we maried my pinay wife could not cook even rice, now she make it perfectly every time.

Quote Originally Posted by eljean View Post
    my friend here bought me a rice cooker from argos and its only 19.99 its http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...inning--00xx3: it cooks the rice perfect!
    We got the Breville one. I just hope the missus doesn't see the tefal one she loves her tefal pans she got from argos in sale. 55 quid for a rice cooker

I just noticed we may have the same one as Piamed. Sir take it back and make a fuss for the first six months sales of goods act says the shop has to prove it was not a inherent fault. So they should give you a replacment or a full refund.

Dont let them get away with it for the league of rice cookers or LORC as we are known sake. No way should it have done what you have described, I would be making serious complaints as thats a potential fire risk
    Im sure you know dont let them blame it on the makers the shop is responsible. They can take it up with the maker not you.

All i can say is thank God/lab techncian your both ok.

The trick with our rice cooker seems to be..

1. Use extra water

2. Switch off at the wall as soon as it switches from "cook" to "warm".

I still reckon that a saucepan is easier!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavanddal View Post

1. Use extra water

Or ring up the Chinese takeaway

My first 2 days since i arrived here am requested to my hubby to buy a rice cooker and then he bought it from argos...as of now no probs hehe!

Syncronicity I used a rice cooker in the new house today for the first time and i wasnt impressed Im going to get my honey to show me and if its still a sticky glue im going back to my trusty good pot and tight fitting lid version
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

1. Use extra water

use more water (says 1 to 1, i put maybe 2 1/2 or 3 to 1 and turn off when it flicks to warm (never used that)
    we have the breville RC3, used daily(still going strong 14 month later)

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Syncronicity I used a rice cooker in the new house today for the first time and i wasnt impressed Im going to get my honey to show me and if its still a sticky glue im going back to my trusty good pot and tight fitting lid version
    The water and rice ratio as you can imagine is very important.

We mere Whiteys will never be able to grasp it

The Wife and the ladies of her family can make various textures of rice it seems with just the ratio.

From just hearing me loading the rice cooker from the next room she says oh that will be to sticky or what have you

Mostly when you cook the rice in the rice cooker the ratio is one is to one but sometimes it depends whats the variety of the rice.Some variety needs one is to one and a half.
    Regards,

Ping

Quote Originally Posted by Ping View Post
    Mostly when you cook the rice in the rice cooker the ratio is one is to one but sometimes it depends whats the variety of the rice.Some variety needs one is to one and a half.
    Pan-Pan Jasmine ??
    Absit invidia

DISCLAIMER: The information hereinabove may or may not be entirely accurate, relevant, forthright, verifiable, or coherent. KeithAngel, who shall herein be refered to as the 'Shining Beacon of Light', reserves the right to neither confirm, deny, justify, explain, or otherwise acknowledge any inquiry in regards to the validity, genuinity, construction, intent, and/or motive of any statements, gestures, and/or actions whether real, imagined, or transdimensional in origin. Further, the 'Shining Beacon of Light' shall be absolved of any and all legal, moral, and financial responsibilities for damages to life, limb, character, reputation, property, and/or business resulting from the usage, assimilation, incorporation, replication, and/or distribution of said statements whether partial, complete, misquoted, or imagined. This disclaimer remains in effect despite any discrepancies or claims as to its legibility, comprehension, interpretation, subliminal suggestiveness, political affiliation, legality, visibility, and/or physical presence

quite interesting about rice cookers..... never had a problem like that before

What is going on? Help!

so far the rice cooker here that we bought 3 months ago was perfect....well it has booklet upon purchase how to use the rice cooker but i ignore it, i still use the phil version of using the rice cooker, the first time i used it i burned the rice coz i was not used to cook rice...i phoned my aunties how to use it, they say ignore the booklet which says prepare the rice at 1:1....heheheh it wont work...so now my husband and i are enjoying the rice every meal and its perfectly cooked now....

thanks to my lifeline about how to use the rice cooker, i bet ur wife knows how to use the fingers in measuring the rice....

Cheers

i dont have a rice cooker here,but so far i manage to cook
    rice with no problems..i always used basmati rice.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    LOL funny you say that You should have ridden on an air-con bus...It will smell a "little" better

For those who don't know, we have discovered a wonderful alternative to rice for breakfast dinner and tea.

They're called POTATOES and they can be served in little fried strips called "chips" or just boiled or even boiled then broken up into "mash".

They don't even need special cookers. They're wonderful!

For those who don't know, we have discovered a wonderful alternative to rice for breakfast dinner and tea.

They're called POTATOES and they can be served in little fried strips called "chips" or just boiled or even boiled then broken up into "mash".

They don't even need special cookers. They're wonderful!
    hello yeah, mash potato, thats what British people used to serves as their rice..enjoy

We always cooked our rice in the microwave. Always came out perfect in around 20 minutes.
    Over here its even easier..The cook cooks it.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    We always cooked our rice in the microwave. Always came out perfect in around 20 minutes.
    Over here its even easier..The cook cooks it.
    Thats given me a great idea Fred thanks more later................
    Absit invidia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information