Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Respected Member

How Long Can I Stay in Manila?

I have met a lady online, she is in Manila.
    I have read a lot of threads here - some seem contradictory and some confuse me!!

I gather I can enter Manila on a 60 day max tourist visa.

I saw in one post that it appears possible to apply in Manila for an extension to the tourist visa.
    However, this post was from a guy who had already married in Manila.

Q1. Is this option actually available to any tourist visa holder.

Q2. What ( if any) would be maximum stay in Manila allowed.

Any help, advice or suggestion will be welcome.

TIA

Arturo

First of all, it would be useful to know where you live and what your nationality is.

However, assuming that you are British/from the UK, you can visit Philippines for up to 21 days (inclusive of arrival and departure days) without a visa.

If you apply to the Philippine Embassy in London, you can obtain a visa (valid for one year) which will allow you to stay for up to 59 days in any one visit.

In either case, you can apply to the Philippine Bureau of Immigration, once you are here, to extend the duration of your visit, two months at a time, up to a maximum of two years.

Officially, I believe that you should hold a flight ticket to exit Philippines at the time that you arrive, which complicates matters if you extend your visit - however, I have never been asked for this at Davao airport.

I arrived here at the beginning of December, on a standard 59 day visa, and without a return flight ticket. My visa has since expired, but I have been extending the duration of my visit every two months.

Spot on but Davao is domestic or can you enter there from abroad?

Quote Originally Posted by keithAngel View Post
    Spot on but Davao is domestic or can you enter there from abroad?
    Davao is an international airport. I think there are flights to Singapore (stopping in Cebu with Cebu Pacific, but not sure you go out of the plane), SilkAir to Singapore (direct), and surely others (like Malaysia, Indonesia and may be Australia).
    Best regards.
    Yves

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    First of all, it would be useful to know where you live and what your nationality is.
    Hi,

I Assumed "...UK Forum" would indicate I was in fact in the UK....should have known better - sorry.

I am UK born and bred and still here!

Thanks for your reply it has helped a lot and removed a lot of doubts and concerns.

Hope I can stick around here and learn more.

Thanks Guys

Quote Originally Posted by Arturo View Post
    I Assumed "...UK Forum" would indicate I was in fact in the UK....should have known better - sorry.
    It's not at all automatic... this forum is accessible worldwide.

And visa stories are directly linked to Citizenship and country of residence, that's why it's important to know to be able to give you an accurate answer.
    Best regards.
    Yves

Banned

Hai

First you say where do you stay currently which citizenship you have... Better you you could have a good suggestions from any tourist agency...

Quote Originally Posted by A_flyer View Post
    Davao is an international airport. I think there are flights to Singapore (stopping in Cebu with Cebu Pacific, but not sure you go out of the plane), SilkAir to Singapore (direct), and surely others (like Malaysia, Indonesia and may be Australia).
    Davao is an International airport, but with very limited number of international flights. SilkAir flights use a triangular route (SIN/CEB/DVO, or SIN/DVO/CEB, depending on the day of the week.) You do have to leave the aircraft at the stopover, but don't pass through immigration. Thus, even if you fly via Cebu, you still perform all the immigration procedures at Davao.

However, assuming that you are British/from the UK, you can visit Philippines for up to 21 days (inclusive of arrival and departure days) without a visa.

If you apply to the Philippine Embassy in London, you can obtain a visa (valid for one year) which will allow you to stay for up to 59 days in any one visit.

In either case, you can apply to the Philippine Bureau of Immigration, once you are here, to extend the duration of your visit, two months at a time, up to a maximum of two years.

Officially, I believe that you should hold a flight ticket to exit Philippines at the time that you arrive, which complicates matters if you extend your visit - however, I have never been asked for this at Davao airport.

I arrived here at the beginning of December, on a standard 59 day visa, and without a return flight ticket. My visa has since expired, but I have been extending the duration of my visit every two months.
    I plan to do this next trip, which is in a few weeks .
    I just returned from Philippines, I had return ticket, but nobody asked or checked it at Manila.

I also hope to extend my visit by two months at a time.
    Has anybody had any problems doing this or can offer any additional advise ?

Regards Toneec

There should be no problem ... just make sure that you apply for your extension before (at least seven days, if possible) your current permission expires.

The only difficulty will be if you are asked for your return ticket on arrival ... but, as with most processes here, I'm sure that a little 'ex-gratia' payment would remove any difficulty.

Oh, another point ... if you do have a visit visa, allowing you an initial stay of 59 days, make sure that the immigration stamp in your passport is marked up accordingly. I have heard of one person who arrived with a visa, but was only stamped for a 21 day stay - he had to pay a penalty when he went to extend close to the 59th day.

I should point out that I did, eventually, receive my 13a (permanent residence) visa on October 2, 2008. This means that I was here for ten months on a repeatedly extended visit.

phil visa

hi all

i have an urgent question
    my friend is coming in the phils with no visa
    just the 21 days standard visit
    but he plans to stay here for 59 days

is it possible that he just applies here in the phils for an extension
    in addition to his standard 21 days visit with no visa?
    so he could stay here for 59 days

also would u know if personal appearance is needed to extend
    and what other tips do u have, re payments process etc
    can we just ask a travel agent to process it for us
    when hes already here

the reason why he isnt getting a phil visa fr uk is coz hes far
    from phil embassy in london coz hes from belfast

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angelina08 View Post
    hi all

when hes already here

thanks
    Yes he can extend his visa before 21 days of stay is over. Personal appearance might be required but you should plan well ahead before leaving the UK so less hassle. Visit the Phils EMbassy website for more information.
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

Can I also add, he will need a valid return ticket to show at immigration airport in Phils.
    Not an expert, I only try to help.

I have never been asked to show a return ticket when arriving at Davao.

Yes, you can extend your stay - I believe that you can even do it at the airport as you arrive.

However, I have only known of extensions applied for at the Bureau of Immigration office. You can apply for a 38 day extension, taking your initial 21 days up to 59. The cost is 3,020 pesos.

Thereafter you can apply for two month extensions up to 18 months or even two years.

If you are not stayaing in Manila there are several field offices around the country which will save you the hike to Manila, even Puerto Princessa in Palawan has one and we get a same day service there without hardly any waiting around, in fact they txt me when to come back, very good service,

wow 3020pesos my last one was 2400pesos in 2007.
    Live your life for a reason and don't worry be happy

if you don't know where you are going then any road will do!!

I should point out that I did, eventually, receive my 13a (permanent residence) visa on October 2, 2008. This means that I was here for ten months on a repeatedly extended visit.
    A word to the wise.. When you report in the first 60 days of this year,MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR PAYMENT RECIEPT..You will need it next year.
    I cant find mine and now I may have to pay a year of fines. Not sure yet.

Thanks Fred - I'm aware of that. What folks may not be aware of - the annual reporting requirement does not apply only to those on resident visas, but anyone who has been in Phils since November 1, and has not left by March 1, is required to report, whether on a resident visa or a visitor visa.

At least you are only charged 310 pesos for the annual report.

Quote Originally Posted by angelina08 View Post
    hi all

when hes already here

thanks
    You can use a local travel agents to extend your stay in the Phils, so not need to go to immigration, normally costs an additional 500 pesos!

what if i am british passport holder already does it mean me and hubby can only stay in the Phils for 21 days? Or they have special thing for expat like me and how about my husband married to expat? we're planning to stay in Phils for 4 weeks hopefully this year.

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

Correct me if I have misunderstood the question in this thread.

I have been here in the Philippines for 13 months now, renewing my visa every 2 months.

I am now allowed to stay here on a tourist visa for 2 years, after which time I must leave the country for an international destination - say, Hong Kong for example, and then I can come back here and stay for another 2 years etc..etc..

I hope I have not misinterpreted the original brief as I am now pretty high on Emperador because Oldham won yesterday!!!!!

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flomike View Post
    what if i am british passport holder already does it mean me and hubby can only stay in the Phils for 21 days? Or they have special thing for expat like me and how about my husband married to expat? we're planning to stay in Phils for 4 weeks hopefully this year.
    As an expat you are allowed to stay in the country for 1 year as a Balikbayan, same as your husband he can stay there for 1 year as a spouse of balikbayan.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlwill View Post
    As an expat you are allowed to stay in the country for 1 year as a Balikbayan, same as your husband he can stay there for 1 year as a spouse of balikbayan.
    Surely if you were a filipino living abroad there would be no restrictions on the amount of time you could spend back in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    Surely if you were a filipino living abroad there would be no restrictions on the amount of time you could spend back in the Philippines.
    I think that would depend on whether you entered the Philippines using your British or Philippines passport, unless of course, you have already applied to the Philippines embassy in London and acquired dual citizenship.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    I think that would depend on whether you entered the Philippines using your British or Philippines passport, unless of course, you have already applied to the Philippines embassy in London and acquired dual citizenship.
    Yes, if you have a dual citizenship you can stay there as much as you want but if you entered using a foreign passport you are only allow to stay maximum of 1 year being a balikbayan.

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IainBusby View Post
    An expat may not have a British citizenship/passport anyway. I don't think it would really matter which passport you enter the Philippines on so long as you can still prove that you still have Philippines citizenship once you are in the country.

Devon - no - Oxford - no - Stalybridge - no - errr - UK

Smile

It's 2 years now.

Al.
    Pressed rat and warthog closed down their shop!

Quote Originally Posted by darren-b View Post
    An expat may not have a British citizenship/passport anyway. I don't think it would really matter which passport you enter the Philippines on so long as you can still prove that you still have Philippines citizenship once you are in the country.
    You are required by Philippine immigration to show both passports upon arrival, they will stamp both passports and you are automatically recognised as a dual citizen!

Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishbride View Post
    You are required by Philippine immigration to show both passports upon arrival, they will stamp both passports and you are automatically recognised as a dual citizen!
    If you are a dual citizen you are not actually required to show both passports upon arrival, especially as it's possible that you only intend to reclaim your Philippines citizenship once you arrive in Manila. You would though need to show proof of Philippines citizenship if you leave the Philippines again using a foreign passport - this doesn't have to be a passport, a certificate from the BI would do.

Banned
    The last time I went Phils. I was using my British passport. I never showed my Phils. passport to Immigrition people cause they never asked for it. I never showed any proof when it's time for me leave the country using my foreign passport.

I came to Manila on the 15th April with a oneway ticket intending to get married here. I was asked by the imigration officer how long I intended to stay to which I replied at least 2 months. He said that he would make out a visa for me. I had no money at the time and he told me where the nearest ATM machine was. When I got back another man was waiting for me who showed me my passport saying he had put 12 month visa. He then asked for 5000p which I knocked him down to 3500. I have since found out that all I got was the entry stamp.
    I never checked too much as I never thought a airport staff would have done this to me.
    I take it that I will now have to get this extended? Will I do this in Manila?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information