Disclaimer: By posting on this web site it is accepted that you have agreed to our Terms. Please DO NOT publish copyrighted material/pictures without the owner’s permission, you are liable for any costs incurred.

Smile do i need to get a visa for a holiday in europe?

hi guys,
    we're planning to go for a holiday in spain or paris with my family this year but im not sure if i will be allowed to go out of UK with my current visa? (spouse visa/leave to remain)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anngrimes78@msn View Post
    hi guys,
    we're planning to go for a holiday in spain or paris with my family this year but im not sure if i will be allowed to go out of UK with my current visa? (spouse visa/leave to remain)
    Yes Ann.

You do need to apply for a Schengen Visa for the country you intend to go to.

I suggest you use the search facility, as the appropriate answer has been posted many times in the past.
    Click this link.. http://filipinaroses.com/showthread....=schengen+visa

All the best

Dom & Jet

hi guys,
    An UK visa is for UK only... it will be useful to go back to UK after the travel.
    For all other countries (outside the ones where a Filipino do not it), you need a visa to enter it. That's the case for all western countries.

The need of the visa is linked to your citizenship and not the country of residence (this just ease the process).

As I suppose you're holding a Filipino citizenship and a Filipino passport, for Spain and France you need a Schengen visa (use the search function in the forum and you will find all the info you need).

Here is a good "visa calculator" (the best I know) to know if you need one: http://www.nwa.com/services/timatic.html
    Best regards.
    Yves

Respected Member

visa

it is correct about schengen visa for europe.

but cyprus is in europe and as long as you are married to british citizen you do not require a visa for philippina asawa.

i have this on typed paper issued to me from the cyprus honary commisioner in manchester.

last year it was a requirment to have one , and it was issued free but dont need one now.

why dont the rest of them make it simple too

john

Respected Member
    Spain since 1988. My wife has been here since June 2006
    My wife has permanent Residencia in Spain (so can visit and live in any Schengen Area country) but she cannot go to UK or even shopping in Gibraltar unless we go first to British Embassy in Madrid, pay 150 euros and she attends an interview.

So don't feel so bad about needing a Schengen Area visa. I would expect that it would be quite a straightforward application.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar54 View Post
    My wife has permanent Residencia in Spain (so can visit and live in any Schengen Area country) but she cannot go to UK or even shopping in Gibraltar unless we go first to British Embassy in Madrid, pay 150 euros and she attends an interview.

So don't feel so bad about needing a Schengen Area visa. I would expect that it would be quite a straightforward application.
    You know that your wife can have for free an EEA family permit to travel to UK?
    I am a British citizen. Can my family members apply for an EEA family permit to join me in the UK?
    Although the UK is also a member of the EEA, the information in this guidance does not, in general, relate to British citizens and their family members.

If a British citizen is living in another EEA country, their non-EEA family members can apply for an EEA family permit to join them on their return to the UK. This is subject to the following conditions:

• The British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK.
    • If the family member of the British citizen is their spouse or civil partner, they are living together in the EEA country or they entered into the marriage or civil partnership and were living together in that EEA country before returning to the UK.
    • The family member is lawfully resident in the EEA country where the British citizen is working.

Read here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...snationals#Q13
    Best regards.
    Yves

Respected Member
    Yves

Quote:-

The British citizen is residing in an EEA Member State as a worker or self-employed person or was doing so before returning to the UK.

I retired from working in UK to live in Spain. The provison you quote does not include people in my category.

I know because I made an appointment with British Embassy in Madrid for an interview, booked and paid for the flights from Malaga and the accommodation. It was only when I called to question what they wanted to know about my 'work record' that I discovered it was required that I must have worked in Spain.

The embassy in effect said tough when I explained I had paid for flights etc and would not accommodate us on the day we had booked.

It maybe they have changed the wording in their info since I made an official complaint about being mislead.

Meaning that if you retire in another European country (than UK), you have no rights? I find this a stupid law...
    My wife has no difficulty to get an EEA family permit and I know another French (a retired one) that had no difficulty to get one for his Filipina wife also.
    Best regards.
    Yves

John study this official document http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...en00770123.pdf
    and use it for discussing with the UK Embassy. Your wife should not pay for a visa to go to UK because you are retired... she should obtain at least an EEA Family Permit.

A workaround would be for you to find a work for 3 months (I.E. some consulting...), then after they can't refuse her.
    Best regards.
    Yves

Respected Member
    Quote 1 :- Meaning that if you retire in another European country (than UK), you have no rights? I find this a stupid law...
    My wife has no difficulty to get an EEA family permit and I know another French (a retired one) that had no difficulty to get one for his Filipina wife also.

I believe when the EU was established it only related to workers (and maybe their families) rights. It has been amended here and there to include others. It is still the case in Spain that workers and their families do not need the Residence Certificate (previously the Residence Card) but retired people do.

Quote 2 :

John study this official document http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...en00770123.pdf
    and use it for discussing with the UK Embassy. Your wife should not pay for a visa to go to UK because you are retired... she should obtain at least an EEA Family Permit.

A workaround would be for you to find a work for 3 months (I.E. some consulting...), then after they can't refuse her.

As I understand it the UK has not signed up to this Declaration so it’s not binding on them. Spain has signed it that's why there is no problem (except getting the paperwork from the various Gov Depts. in Phil) getting a visa for a spouse to come to Spain and settle here. I think the visa application cost 30€ and the 'interview' was a five minute chat with both of us at the counter.

It’s a good idea about getting a job for 3 months but we would still have the requirement that my wife would need to travel 500 KM to Madrid, stay overnight and attend an interview each time she wanted to go to UK or even shopping in Gibraltar.

As a Filipino, she has the right to apply for Spanish nationality when she has held Residencia for 2 years. Therefore, in January 2009 we will start that application. (It may take 3 years). I see it as rather stupid that she now has a Residencia issued by the Spanish but that’s not good enough to allow her to go to UK, but when the Spanish issue her with a Passport that will be good enough. As a former Police Officer, I know the Law is an Ass!

Thanks again Yves

Quote Originally Posted by john sergison View Post
    it is correct about schengen visa for europe.

but cyprus is in europe and as long as you are married to british citizen you do not require a visa for philippina asawa.

i have this on typed paper issued to me from the cyprus honary commisioner in manchester.

last year it was a requirment to have one , and it was issued free but dont need one now.

why dont the rest of them make it simple too

john
    Hi John Sergison
    This is Roy with Vicky in Cyprus.
    I have been trying to contact you for the last couple of weeks. Is it possible to text me or e-mail me on roystewart16athotmaildotcom so that I can call you asap.
    I hope that I am not breaking the forum rules by replying to John in this way. If I have I apologise to the members.

Banned
    hi guys,
    Yes you need to obtain visa as UK is not a part of Schengen states (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Visa). I got mine when I was still in Pinas. I paid travel insurance, travel tax, visa fee, but ticket was free

Thread Information