PDA

View Full Version : Can you live on 10,000 peso a month?

GaryFifer
31st July 2008, 22:49
A family of five?I read this article here

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/nation/view/20080601-140029/New-poverty-threshold-set-at-P10000-in-NCR

Comments please.

David House
31st July 2008, 23:38
As with everything the answer is "it depends". In rural areas, where food can sometimes be grown or gathered, or fish caught, 10,000 would seem more than enough. In a big city, no chance. Obviously it also depends upon the make up of the family, how many go to school or college and how disciplined they are over drinking etc. The general point though is that life has got a great deal harder for many already very poor people and it is not going to get better for a long time yet. The implications are actually pretty alarming, with a high birth rate meaning always greater mouths to feed and worldwide recession looming with fewer opportunites for OCWs as economies shrink and countries go protectionist.
I just hope the Philippine Government wake up, get their act together and actually do some of the things which are really needed. However I don't see any real prospect of that happening. Not only don't they have the answers, they don't appear to know the questions.

andypaul
1st August 2008, 19:31
As with everything the answer is "it depends". In rural areas, where food can sometimes be grown or gathered, or fish caught, 10,000 would seem more than enough. In a big city, no chance. Obviously it also depends upon the make up of the family, how many go to school or college and how disciplined they are over drinking etc. The general point though is that life has got a great deal harder for many already very poor people and it is not going to get better for a long time yet. The implications are actually pretty alarming, with a high birth rate meaning always greater mouths to feed and worldwide recession looming with fewer opportunites for OCWs as economies shrink and countries go protectionist.
I just hope the Philippine Government wake up, get their act together and actually do some of the things which are really needed. However I don't see any real prospect of that happening. Not only don't they have the answers, they don't appear to know the questions.

I was told by some that the Phillipines was going to enter a boom period last year, just couldn't see it myself. However much i wanted it, for the good people of the country.

A country who relies on other countries having a surplus of jobs in its market has to depend on a healthy world ecomony and have low costs at home.

The new growth industries the call centre and off shoring can also be hit if wages in the target countries drop and wages and costs increase in phill or simply the lack of demand as companies shrink or cease to exist.

Western countries will also start to encourage companies to bring back services to help prop up their own ecomonies.

Mrs Daddy
1st August 2008, 19:37
it is quite scary with this inflation thing not just here but most specially in the philippines.I hope the government in PI will do something about it.

andypaul
1st August 2008, 20:10
The inflation in the Uk and elsewhere is partly being done on purpose with the pumping of billions of pounds, dollars and euros in to the money markets.

The world goverments think of it as a neccsary evil to stop total collaspe of the markets.

So im told.

Of course there is the food and engery price increases due to supply and demand as well.

KeithD
1st August 2008, 20:12
I couldn't manage on 10,000 a day :cwm24:

andypaul
1st August 2008, 20:17
I couldn't manage on 10,000 a day :cwm24:

10,000?

Curly wurlys? Malteasers?

Elephants? Sheep?

A_flyer
1st August 2008, 20:38
If sheeps, ask Rob's help...

keithAngel
1st August 2008, 21:07
My g/f earns ten thousand before stoppages for what amounts to a 54 hour week teaching brother brings in an indeterminate amount and there are 3 kids of school age and mum also in the house.

Rent 4000

transport 500

electric 2000 ish

Internet 1000

leaving after tax not much for food and emergencies and this for a university graduate with a "good " job

KeithD
1st August 2008, 22:17
Wouldn't even cover 1 bet :omg:

keithAngel
1st August 2008, 22:30
Wouldn't even cover 1 bet :omg:

Ah big betty:D

andypaul
1st August 2008, 23:10
Ah big betty:D

Bettys hotpots?

walesrob
1st August 2008, 23:48
10,000 sheep?

Blimey :xxanimal-smiley-085

andypaul
1st August 2008, 23:58
10,000 sheep?

Betty likes a lot of sheep in her hotpots:Erm:

pennybarry
2nd August 2008, 07:53
If you have no kids, you have ricefield, vegetables at garden, load of fruits bearing trees, you use firewoods when cooking, then you still have money for shopping bargain stuffs.:D
But in the Philippines, basic pay is less than that amount, but still they survive. :xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo:

imbazzer
2nd August 2008, 11:41
how lucky and spoiled are we in uk

aromulus
2nd August 2008, 14:01
10,000 sheep?

Ceredigion Leisure Centre........:icon_lol: