PDA

View Full Version : Whats for dinner?

Geraldine
28th July 2008, 12:34
Hi!

Just curious, for the ladies. What do you usually cook for dinner, Filipino or English food? For the men, do you like Filipino dishes?

I used to cook Filipino dishes for dinner but my husband finds it fatty, smelly and bland, like kaldereta, adobo, ginisang mongo, fried pork/fish, beef steak, binagoongan hehehe, menudo, etc. So he ends up making a salad for himself. Then I decided to make 2 different dishes for us. Then I got tired of cooking different meals so now I just prepare salads with grilled fish/chix, sometimes easy Thai/japanese/chinese dishes, pastas and roasts on weekends. At least this way, we both can enjoy it and my son loves spinach salad with fish or chix. Its a shame, my husband doest really like Filipino food.

Cheers.

Ann07
28th July 2008, 15:43
hi geraldine...
my husband is useless in cooking:icon_lol: but he is excellent in cleaning:xxgrinning--00xx3:

i cook all filipino dishes except seafuds , he has allergies:Brick: the only seafuds he cud eat is fish and chips:icon_lol: and the filipino eskabetche. He likes adobo, lumpia, menudo,bola2x that is his fav:xxgrinning--00xx3: chopsuey and filipino style stir fry... BUT HE doesnt like sinigang :doh and dried fish :icon_lol::icon_lol: he always ended up spraying the house everytime after i cooked dried fish:icon_lol::icon_lol:

I like british food as well so we always have british and english food in the table:icon_lol::D I enjoy baking too lol

Ann07
28th July 2008, 15:55
this coming thursday is my father in law's birthday. We invited him to come for his tea. Will make especially marinated leg of lamb, vegetables. roast potatoes and bake him a brithday chocolate cake:Rasp: for starter i will make esp chinese food coz he likes it...:D

he is not fussy anyway ....he will eat what he will be given:xxgrinning--00xx3:

PeterB
28th July 2008, 16:24
Oooo, is there a choice? Our maids just cook what they're used to cooking ... and I eat it (well, some of it)!

aromulus
28th July 2008, 16:45
Oooo, is there a choice? Our maids just cook what they're used to cooking ... and I eat it (well, some of it)!

Maids....???:omg:

KeithD
28th July 2008, 17:29
Well...looks like cats off the menu :Erm:

Ann07
28th July 2008, 17:31
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

A_flyer
28th July 2008, 18:01
Just curious, for the ladies. What do you usually cook for dinner, Filipino or English food? For the men, do you like Filipino dishes?
Cassoulet, fondue, raclette, gateau basque, aligo, tarte au maroual, tripoux, confit de canard, soufflé au grand marnier, and I forgot some... no a lot! :icon_lol:

andypaul
28th July 2008, 18:23
We have a mixture of phill and brit foods, in fact most are fusions. Bit of this and a bit of that.
Rarely is a meal totaly brit or phill in origin.

I guess a bit like us.

GaryFifer
28th July 2008, 18:33
Filipino food is puzzling. Why is everything in vinegar, soy sauce, or using Mama Sitas powder.

And what is British food?Why they call it the English breakfast, English?eggs,sausage, beans, bacon,black pudding. Its the same in Scotland, just a square lorne sausage.

I love the way Chinese do their cooking. little bowls good presentation and little bit of everything. Those little dumplings are fun to make too.

KeithD
28th July 2008, 20:03
Filipino food is puzzling. Why is everything in vinegar, soy sauce, or using Mama Sitas powder.
It helps hide the natural smell of the food that compares with an ICI Chemical plant :rolleyes:

nigel
28th July 2008, 20:12
LOVE Chicken Adobo, LOVE Kare kare, LOVE Lumpia, LOVE Afritada!! LOVE Dried Mangoes!! LOVE Halo Halo!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: Don't Like Balut/pork mask..:NoNo:

andypaul
28th July 2008, 21:20
It helps hide the natural smell of the food that compares with an ICI Chemical plant :rolleyes:

Watch out for the writ from ICL :D

vbkelly
28th July 2008, 21:28
since i came here i cooked filipino foods and my hubby loved it

flomike
28th July 2008, 22:46
I have no problem feeding my husband filipino food he loves it ofcourse except those a bit exotic for him...but I do cook two meal sometimes if I feel like eating rice and smelly fish and using my fingers lol. I cooked and he do the washing up "equal opportunities":Erm:

doonat
29th July 2008, 04:33

british foods are into natural flavors. most of the filipinos can't get away with MSG thats why they resort to mama sita's powder and other instant mix :icon_lol: and if you're not sure about your cooking the soy will take care of the taste :cwm12: adobo all day!

telford
29th July 2008, 05:32
the first time i was in UK, my mother-in-law always cook their usual food.it's ok at first,but i get feed up later on.I miss rice and filipino foods,so i talk to my husband and we buy rice and I cook filipino food,and his mom and dad loves it.so I cook filipino foods every other day and his mom cook brit food every other day.atleast fair to all of us in the house.

maria_and_matt
29th July 2008, 07:54
my 14 yr old son eats everything i eat, including dried fish and salted egg with tomatoes! but my husband will eat english food most of the time! so he cooks his food and i cook ours hahaha

alicat
29th July 2008, 08:03
my hubby loves to cook,which is good for me.
we have different kind of recipe book,
(fil,english,spanish,french,chinese and japanese)
hes the chef of the house..

David House
29th July 2008, 09:51
My wife likes to cook Filipino food, and will often have a big pot of rice available and noodles every day. Sometimes we have Filipino parties when all sorts of wierd dishes get prepared by armies of chattering girls! However she also has enjoyed learning how to prepare British dishes and enjoys them too. She loves a "sunday roast" and pies. She is a good cook and has obtained her food hygiene certificate so can now work in catering, if she chose to. In fact she deputises for the cook in my business when she goes off on holiday and then obviously only prepares very traditional British dishes, although she has been known to vary it a little. Onions in an apple pie once if I recall! For myself I don't really enjoy many of the Filipino dishes. Too little "real" meat, too much fat, too many bones, not enough salt or pepper. I enjoy the ginger in some dishes. Don't get me on dried fish though. That's the devils food for sure, only someone really evil could find that smell attractive.

KeithD
29th July 2008, 09:54
.....Don't get me on dried fish though. That's the devils food for sure, only someone really evil could find that smell attractive.

Reminds me of Manchester :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Geraldine
29th July 2008, 10:28
Thanks for the replies, I am now hungry after reading it :icon_lol:

Thats good to hear that some of you like Filipino food, I love sunday roasts! uummm I can now cook chicken or pork roast with crispy cracklings! In fairness, my husband does eat chopsuey, pancit and fried lumpia. But he doesnt eat much so I end up finishing it all hahaha!

In Filipino parties, they usually have dinuguan (pork cooked in vinegar & pigs blood!) and its so tasty and delicious with soft steamed rice.

I understand why you guys don't like those smelly dried fish or fish sauce, its an acquired taste, just like some of us...we find those smelly blue/goat cheese disgusting.

I better go now...Im starving. :cwm12:

KeithD
29th July 2008, 10:47
...we find those smelly blue/goat cheese disgusting.
:Erm: So do we....only posh sods eat that :rolleyes:

andypaul
29th July 2008, 20:03
the first time i was in UK, my mother-in-law always cook their usual food.it's ok at first,but i get feed up later on.I miss rice and filipino foods,so i talk to my husband and we buy rice and I cook filipino food,and his mom and dad loves it.so I cook filipino foods every other day and his mom cook brit food every other day.atleast fair to all of us in the house.

Sounds like a great household, the best of both worlds:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jane82
31st July 2008, 17:17
We have a mixture of phill and brit foods, in fact most are fusions. Bit of this and a bit of that.
Rarely is a meal totaly brit or phill in origin.

I guess a bit like us.

Like our house. A fusion of any dishes from around the world.

Trying to get my younger brother and sister to eat some Filipino foods too can be quite difficult.

scott&ligaya
31st July 2008, 17:29
Definetly fusion food, we love Malay and Thai, chinese hotpot, korean bbc, miss Singaporean tea, hairy crab in HK, and of course filipino and Brit food. I also enjoy Italian and German foods having worked in both countries in the past.

Now where are my soup noodles and snake broth, mmmmmmm yummy:cwm12::cwm12:

rikyandnina
6th August 2008, 13:24
:) Majority of what i cook is Filipino, but then Filipino food is a mix of Spanish, Chinese and American influences. I'm so lucky because my husband LOVES what i cook and we enjoy good food. He blames me for his expanding waist line, and i said its proof that he's well fed!!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pinoy food that i cooked and my hubby's eaten:

- pinakbet
- adobo
- pancit palabok
- kare kare
- afritada

:doh But help me here guys, i've been struggling where and how to get a replacement for kangkong for sinigang AND what can i replace sili leaves with for tinola??? :rolleyes:

geft
24th January 2009, 23:09
Hi Geraldine

Do you know of any filipino caterer in Worcesteshire who could help with a wedding in April?

Best regards
Geraldine and Eamon

Eljohno
25th January 2009, 02:21
I only like some of the Filipino food with my fav being the thin noddles my wife makes with chicken & veg etc

Alan
25th January 2009, 02:37

Whatever happened to ICI?

Al.:)

pennybarry
25th January 2009, 10:54
Hi!

I used to cook Filipino dishes for dinner but my husband finds it fatty, smelly and bland, like kaldereta, adobo, ginisang mongo, fried pork/fish, beef steak, binagoongan hehehe, menudo, etc. So he ends up making a salad for himself. Then I decided to make 2 different dishes for us. Then I got tired of cooking different meals so now I just prepare salads with grilled fish/chix, sometimes easy Thai/japanese/chinese dishes, pastas and roasts on weekends. At least this way, we both can enjoy it and my son loves spinach salad with fish or chix. Its a shame, my husband doest really like Filipino food.

Cheers.

My Mom always cook beef stew, curry's, tikka masala and tandoori. I cook chinese food- Neuro mien, chao mien, mifun, some filipino dishes like caldereta, mechado, lumpia, murcon and embotido. They don't like sinigang, adobo and seafood but I have loads of seafood at freezer. :Erm:

Jay&Zobel
25th January 2009, 20:25
:)
:doh But help me here guys, i've been struggling where and how to get a replacement for kangkong for sinigang AND what can i replace sili leaves with for tinola??? :rolleyes:

TRY SPINACH! Also good as a replacement in Crispy Kangkong! Works well

mavid
25th January 2009, 20:29
I agree, spinach works well with sinigang. Fiance cooks his own version now, he puts carrots too lol Sinigang ala Brit