PDA

View Full Version : Laptops without drama pls :)

GaryFifer
27th July 2008, 14:50
Hello everyone.:Help1: I saw this subject about purchasing a laptop before :)

Jessica is in Angeles City and she has been offered a laptop for 18,000peso That be great so I can see our baby playing at home.I spend too much cash calling him on phone.The laptop works as a previous neighbour used it to talk to USA bf. My aims are so I can talk to at home with the baby, until fly out to see him

Shes at villa sol subdivision.Whats the system with internet connections there? She says 2000 a month wireless, so she does not require a phone. Does this mean they have hotpoint there?

Thanks for your advice in advance.Very much appreciated.

telford
27th July 2008, 15:15
I'm sure they have smart bro in angeles that only cost 999 and she will only buy wireless router for just 2300 thats netgear brand... if angeles have bayantel,it only cost her 1199 thats already a bundle,internet with telephone.

patti1227
27th July 2008, 15:22
That's great for the both of you! Helps alleviate the longingness.

For the internet connections, Smartbro offers 999.00 a month while Globe offers 795.00. Actually, there are wide choices of internet connection deals to choose from. Prices are subject to change...It will depend on what connection package will suit you best. Hope this helps. :)

andypaul
27th July 2008, 16:57
THe connections are fairly good from my limited experience its best to speak to people in the area who have used the smart and globe version to see who are the most helpful. As the Wife and her friends have had different silly little problems with each mainly due to the local offices of the two respective companies.

Butr the services are pretty decent good enough for messagning and email.

Worth choosing the programs you use to suit the two of you. Best to say have msn, yahoo and skype for example as sometimes one or the other is just not working. In one fo the two countries.

Do you have a phone or PDA which can use messagner or email so if she is online can ask you to go online.

Also make sure she treats this laptop like a 2nd child. Dont let anyone (nephews little bros are the worst in my experience) use it for games, wallpapers and screensavers!!!

Viruses, blue screens of death and general grief are normally the result

GaryFifer
27th July 2008, 17:37
Thank for reply i will keep you updated. Still considering the practical things about it.Thanks for the name SMARTBRO. That gave me something to go on.I wasn't sure of the name.

I have a mobile phone, but at home I use Chikka software program to tell her I go online.Just send a quick little message to her mobile phone.

I am checking out FLV format video tutorials on Smartbro website. I had to install Klite decoder for that. Sure that will come in handy. Can anyone elighten me about their experiences.

keithAngel
27th July 2008, 21:33
:xxparty-smiley-004:

I sent my girlfriend the bbc ipod link but it doesnt work there so no "drama"

GaryFifer
27th July 2008, 22:34
BBC is always drama.Especially if someone swears :action-smiley-081: and they do the on air apology

doonat
28th July 2008, 12:24
18k worth of laptop is not worth it unless it's a bargain sale. first to consider is the battery life since it has been used you dont wanna spend another 6k or more for battery replacement:NoNo:. also at that price i dont think it will perform better as laptop slows down faster in just a couple of months. it may either jeopardize the system's performance particularly the graphics especially if you're planning for cam2cam communication. i suggest you spend another 10k or more for a better performance laptop or better yet buy a new one that costs around 19k-24k :)

andypaul
28th July 2008, 18:06
18k worth of laptop is not worth it unless it's a bargain sale. first to consider is the battery life since it has been used you dont wanna spend another 6k or more for battery replacement:NoNo:. also at that price i dont think it will perform better as laptop slows down faster in just a couple of months. it may either jeopardize the system's performance particularly the graphics especially if you're planning for cam2cam communication. i suggest you spend another 10k or more for a better performance laptop or better yet buy a new one that costs around 19k-24k :)

I agree about the battery life which will decline as the machine ages in most cases.

but the computer slows down after a few months:Erm:

A defrag and a some housekeeping (ie get rid of files and programs not used particulalry ones which run in the background) should sort that out

GaryFifer
28th July 2008, 18:41
Excuse me I am ignorant of the laptops as I never thought of getting one before. To me, it is just another excuse for work to follow me home and bug me.Leave it at the door.

Hmm laptops are tempramental things.How long do the laptop batteries last for?I can imagine dust would cause a problem with small parts. What about the small wires within the screen hinges?I assume these wear down with constant open/close.

Do you think a desktop is a better investment?

andypaul
28th July 2008, 21:11
Excuse me I am ignorant of the laptops as I never thought of getting one before. To me, it is just another excuse for work to follow me home and bug me.Leave it at the door.

Hmm laptops are tempramental things.How long do the laptop batteries last for?I can imagine dust would cause a problem with small parts. What about the small wires within the screen hinges?I assume these wear down with constant open/close.

Depends on the area your Mahal has to give.

Also think of power (both power supply problems and the leccy they use)

Desktops are far easier for a local repair shop to fix.

But laptops as you know are far easier to hide away and lock up.

Laptops are more fragile and you really need someone to check over the laptop. As repairs can be very expensive as the parts are in general harder to fit and more expensive to purchase.

For my Family i prefer laptops but i have checked them all out before handing them over.

doonat
29th July 2008, 03:55
I agree about the battery life which will decline as the machine ages in most cases.

but the computer slows down after a few months:Erm:

A defrag and a some housekeeping (ie get rid of files and programs not used particulalry ones which run in the background) should sort that out

laptops don't usually have high-capacity hard disks and for heavy users like me i usually fill the hard disk in just a few weeks so performance slows down... paging file is compromised and memory can't handle multiple programs running during startup.

desktop is economical, versatile and bulky - can be upgraded if you want to run programs which needs high system requirements (photoshop, games, video editing, etc).. also, parts can be easily replaced.

laptop is portable, easy to use yet expensive, but you can get rid of it easily (students usually go for 2nd hand laptops). and nowadays wi-fi spots can be found everywhere...

for long term investment and power, i go for desktop
for convenience = laptop
social status (here in d phils) = laptops :icon_lol:

LEAHnew
29th July 2008, 06:50

:xxgrinning--00xx3:Desktop would be fine and easily to upgrade compare to laptop some spare hard to find :doh
You mention you have baby so its more practical using desktop, as what Sir andypaul said laptops are fragile:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

LEAHnew
29th July 2008, 06:52

I sent my girlfriend the bbc ipod link but it doesnt work there so no "drama"

I like comedy:D:Rasp::icon_lol::icon_lol:

andypaul
29th July 2008, 20:29
laptops don't usually have high-capacity hard disks and for heavy users like me i usually fill the hard disk in just a few weeks so performance slows down... paging file is compromised and memory can't handle multiple programs running during startup.

desktop is economical, versatile and bulky - can be upgraded if you want to run programs which needs high system requirements (photoshop, games, video editing, etc).. also, parts can be easily replaced.

laptop is portable, easy to use yet expensive, but you can get rid of it easily (students usually go for 2nd hand laptops). and nowadays wi-fi spots can be found everywhere...

for long term investment and power, i go for desktop
for convenience = laptop
social status (here in d phils) = laptops :icon_lol:

Same here in the UK with laptops

Sounds like you need to back up your HDD jeez how much you need to carry about with you:D

Get a Wifi portable hd some of them are hugggee now bug it in your car or pocket.

I used to shoehorn data on my lappys HDD but now as you say with WI FI everywhere and portable data so cheap i can keep much of the data remotely and only pick up as needed.

But saying that it because I also now use solid state drives and to justify it to the bosses (id rather not waste my own money honest i needed 64gb:D) along with the wifi portable storage, and with wlan and 3g + so cheap they dont complain if i use remote storage:D