PDA

View Full Version : What to do if an Issue occurs at work

andypaul
21st July 2008, 20:30
1 Do read your employee hand book and contract, keep them safe and to hand. The Wife worried when she had no reason to, a quick read of the handbook was all she needed to know she was ok.

2 Read up on basic Employee law. Again the Wife worried when had no reason to.

3 Dont say to much if in doubt, if a dispute occurs. make sure you make notes of all that is said, by whom and when. Very important and has stoped many issues at work getting out of hand for me i know from experience.

4 Do make sure you speak to people who have experience of British culture both work and social. The Wife and others at my workplace have had misunderstandings soley based on not understanding the in and out of the british workplace and social behaviour.

5 Always take care with what you say to anyone at work, and who you trust.
Most people are at work bascially for the Money. How many people you got on well enough with while working together dissapeared the mintue you didn't work together? People are in the most more concerned with keeping their jobs (Food on the table and a roof over there heads is important)

6 If something does happen don't panic, seek advice from different sources.
Over the weekend and today the Wife was Worried about what now she can is a harmless issue but was making her very concerned due to a misunderstanding.

Thankfully the Wifes situation was not that serious. But i have noticed several times she has had concerns with issues which i Would not even blink at.

nigel
21st July 2008, 21:32
Great advice! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If people feel they are being harrassed or bullied at work (I suspect this could be a problem for any of us..:Erm: ) they should get witnesses/evidence of it, I work for Royal Mail and they take harrassment seriously these days. If staff were to call me names, write graffitti comments about me 'Nigel is a loser' for example...or give me any kind of unwanted attention, I can make a complaint about them if I want to.

I'm not suggesting people should start complaining about every little unpleasant thing they may hear, work can be stressful and colleagues will lose their temper sometimes. If someone seems to be picking on you though....:Erm:

So where do you guys work? Do they have a 'no harrassment' policy at your workplace?

andypaul
21st July 2008, 22:20
Great advice! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If people feel they are being harrassed or bullied at work (I suspect this could be a problem for any of us..:Erm: ) they should get witnesses/evidence of it, I work for Royal Mail and they take harrassment seriously these days. If staff were to call me names, write graffitti comments about me 'Nigel is a loser' for example...or give me any kind of unwanted attention, I can make a complaint about them if I want to.

I'm not suggesting people should start complaining about every little unpleasant thing they may hear, work can be stressful and colleagues will lose their temper sometimes. If someone seems to be picking on you though....:Erm:

So where do you guys work? Do they have a 'no harrassment' policy at your workplace?

The post office is fairly good with those things i have heard from mates and when i visit some of their big sites up london.

Good point about making sure you dont go overboard just like in school and college you wont like everyone all the time.

I think many companies have a tough no Harrassment rules due to the chances of legal action agaisnt them but some do let them slip a little.

I have noticed many Phills tend to let some things ride as they are so used to the low levels of rights the Phill worker has in phill.

Read up guys and know your rights with out going silly:xxgrinning--00xx3: