PDA

View Full Version : Push email services for mobiles

andypaul
20th July 2008, 15:45
As well as crackberry do people use Push email services like Nokias beta, emoze or seven on their phones?

Intrested in those who use them in Phill as looking at the best services over there for the Wifes Bro and Sis.

aromulus
20th July 2008, 15:54
As well as crackberry do people use Push email services like Nokias beta, emoze or seven on their phones?

Intrested in those who use them in Phill as looking at the best services over there for the Wifes Bro and Sis.

No..............:NoNo:
I use............:23_116_6[1]:

joebloggs
20th July 2008, 16:01
what about pull email services andy :D

who would i want to email ? esp on a mobile, try not to text anyone anymore:D

never used a phone card, moan at the misses if she phones up her family, tell her to use live messenger with web cam :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: phone bill is a low as it can get now :icon_lol:

walesrob
20th July 2008, 16:18

My Sony Ericsson W610i has push-imap, and it works really well. It also worked whilst I was in Philippines, but its quite expensive on PAYG -Vodafone roaming charges are eye-watering, I'll get a Smart SIM next time I'm in Phils and see if I can get it to work with email.

I'm using Google Apps as a second-store for my email (emails get delievered to my Tuffmail account then forwarded onto to Google Apps) I then use my GApps account to get emails on my phone and/or if I'm away from the lappy.

KeithD
20th July 2008, 16:32
I just use normal Outlook on the v1615 :)

Vista sync software keeps it in check with the PC :xxgrinning--00xx3: .....never figured out though why Microsoft have never done software to sync between PC's :Erm:

walesrob
20th July 2008, 16:39
I just use normal Outlook on the v1615 :)

Vista sync software keeps it in check with the PC :xxgrinning--00xx3: .....never figured out though why Microsoft have never done software to sync between PC's :Erm:

Ah, but thats the beauty of using the IMAP protocol, you dont need any software, and emails sent and recieved will update wherever you check your email. When you use IMAP, you are basically connecting directly to you inbox on the mail server and manipulating emails there and then. With POP you download emails from off the server onto your email client/device.

andypaul
20th July 2008, 17:15
The Wifes sister is at Uni up in the big smoke of Manila and having a whole PC is just not practical and a laptop is also a bit of a problem due to security she has found.
Another cousin is also studying at a nearby college and both needed small pcs for coursework and what have you.

So they both have N95 phones which have TV out (a cable supplied with the phone allows many everyday tvs to be connected to the phone outputing whats seen on the screen.
So I sorted them out with software to provide office 2007 prog view/editing of word,excel and powerpoint. PDf viewer and creator, iM and email client.
I then sent out two bluetooth wirless keyboards.
They have now two decent basic little pcs they can literally put in their pockets (apart from the tvs:D)

This along with solar powered backup battries has also been very useful.

Also looked at sending over an old windows Smartphone i have hanging about Mr Admin as that new device which gives a mini laptop size keyboard and display with USB ports looks quite handy:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I rarely use push email outside of work as like you Joe dont need emails asap all the time.
But for a while as the Wifes sister is applying for work experience program to go abroad for one reason and another she needs to know the mintue an email turns up.
Push email program would help here but i may just show herhow to set up the current client to poll evry so often.

PS Joe i cant help it if no one wants to send you email:D

KeithD
20th July 2008, 19:49
I can use IMAP, but Outlook gives me more control over what I need to do. :)

walesrob
20th July 2008, 23:16
Push email program would help here but i may just show herhow to set up the current client to poll evry so often.

Andy, take a look at this over at Email Discussions:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=53305

Push IMAP is dependant on mail server setup. Frequent polling would be the ideal solution IMHO.

andypaul
21st July 2008, 19:27

Push IMAP is dependant on mail server setup. Frequent polling would be the ideal solution IMHO.

Thank you Rob.

Was disscussing this and others email server issues with our Email bods at work.

The Free push services (i mentioned in the earlier post) which I have been testing both on Wlan and 3g and GPRS are still a little rough around the edges and like you frequent polling setting up via a normal email client seems to be better.

As the push services seem to take over the phone to a degree and crash now and then, or the connection drops off. To much for A 18 year old student who is not particularly tech minded to have to worry about.

Rob the email I.T is a growing one I guess once you get your Compita exams sorted that you look at that field and look for opptunities.

andypaul
10th October 2008, 22:03

The latest Beta of Profimail for symbian phones and windows mobiles has imap idle and is constantly faster than many push services from my extensive testing this week.