PDA

View Full Version : worried about

Ana_may365
17th July 2008, 18:59
hiya!
just asking to anybody's know about the laptop?
weve been to ireland few days ago and i fetch my laptop with us,but when i start to use it,i can open my email add or to sign in in my YM.
my hubby bought this laptop for me as my b-day present,it has a webcam and no need for a headphone also coz it is attached also here.
i used my laptop anytime in any place here in our house while my hubby also using his pc downstairs.
my questions are is it ok to fetch my laptop with us when we comeback this coming july 21st to thailand for 4 days and phils for 2 weeks?how can i use it if maybe the same what happened when we are in ireland?we use bt broadband here in our house.did we need to buy another broadband gadgets so that we can use my laptop when we are in our holidays in phils.?
pls,help me.im not a computer genius.dont know what to do?:bigcry::doh:doh

jonnijon
17th July 2008, 21:50
Most laptops these days are wireless enabled,you can use it anywhere you can recive a signal.Cafe,hotel or a bar.

andypaul
17th July 2008, 22:41
Your laptop it sounds like is using a wirless network card (some are bulit in others are add ons) sounds like yours is bulit in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_LAN

If you write the model type on here we can help you find out what you do and dont have.

Wireless lan only has a short range. out and about unless staying in one area such as a coffe shop which sometimes has a device like your hubby has at home. Many are password protected so you have to either ask permission or pay for the service.

You would need to have either a GPRS or 3g card., again this would either need to be bulit into the device or a add on device either by cable or plug in to usb for example.

To use GPRS or 3G in the UK on your laptop you need to either have a Pay as you go or contract sim and fees vary from provider to provider.

To use in Thailand and PHill a uk provider such as 3 or vodafone would be a little costly so normally better to look into buying a service from a local provider.

For example here is globes version

http://www1.globe.com.ph/feature.aspx?artid=98

http://smart.com.ph/

smarts version i couldn't see and the web site way to slow at the moment.

I hope that gives you an idea, if you need any more help just yell im sure somebody can help

alicat
18th July 2008, 09:41
i used my laptop anywere,as long as u have internet connection.
i think u can used urs as well.

pennybarry
18th July 2008, 09:51
hiya!
just asking to anybody's know about the laptop?
weve been to ireland few days ago and i fetch my laptop with us,but when i start to use it,i can open my email add or to sign in in my YM.
my hubby bought this laptop for me as my b-day present,it has a webcam and no need for a headphone also coz it is attached also here.
i used my laptop anytime in any place here in our house while my hubby also using his pc downstairs.
my questions are is it ok to fetch my laptop with us when we comeback this coming july 21st to thailand for 4 days and phils for 2 weeks?how can i use it if maybe the same what happened when we are in ireland?we use bt broadband here in our house.did we need to buy another broadband gadgets so that we can use my laptop when we are in our holidays in phils.?
pls,help me.im not a computer genius.dont know what to do?:bigcry::doh:doh

You can use free connection if you found a HOT spot in an area. If no, you need to apply wireless broadband in Phil. But it is under contract agreement. You can apply SMART WIRELESS. You can try network sharing with your neighbor (Phil) if they have internet access. That is the cheapest way.

patti1227
18th July 2008, 13:42
Just look for spots that says WI-FI Zone. Others provide password, others not. The solution will differ on the place where you may want to use your notebook. Enjoy your upcoming holiday. :)

Dee31
18th July 2008, 14:02
Hello Anna. Since your laptop is wifi capable. If you come to PI. just buy a regular sim from globe or smart. Either one is fine. Insert your sim to your 3G phone or gprs capable phone and connect it to your usb. Sim from globe doesnt cost much. Just about 100pesos i think. Since your stay is only for 2wks. You can always bring your globe/smart sim with you back home. You can use it for sending text msgs to here from uk. just have the roaming enabled first. Anyways, the cost would be 5pesos for 15mins. As long as you have signal from Globe or smart in your area you can connect anytime. Fast service and 24hrs customer service. It's always use it whenever i travel back in the province.

Dee31
18th July 2008, 14:04
Oh sorry i forgot to mention. Since your laptop is wifi capable, there are some area here in metro manila that you can get a free connection. Ill try and check it out for you, and ill post the link here later. But if you are goin in the province... its best to use globe or sim. more affordable pa. :)

Ana_may365
18th July 2008, 19:44
hiya!,
thanks you for all ur advise,i really appreciate it.
my hubby decided not to fetch it with us coz its only 2 weeks holiday.surely i fetch it the next time when we comeback there again.
hopefully!and finger cross his operation is successfull this coming august 12th so that there will no problem when we coming back there again this x-mas & new year.
again,thanks for all

aromulus
18th July 2008, 21:12
hiya!,
thanks you for all ur advise,i really appreciate it.
my hubby decided not to fetch it with us coz its only 2 weeks holiday..

Good idea.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you need to go on the internet, you could always use one of the reputable cafes in the malls.
Besides, carrying a "lappie" around, might attract the wrong kind of attention.....
Also save the weight allowance for pasalubong.....:D

andypaul
18th July 2008, 21:29
Good idea.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you need to go on the internet, you could always use one of the reputable cafes in the malls.
Besides, carrying a "lappie" around, might attract the wrong kind of attention.....
Also save the weight allowance for pasalubong.....:D

Get a smartphone with wifi and or 3g (many of you probably already have them)

While in phill i was able to pick up maill and use messagner at calamba burger king, the family loved it they eat while i checked my emails:D

For example with a nokia with a program like slick or another one of the many IM applications loaded and use either the built in email client or download one you can do all the basics and liek dom says just pop in to an internet cafe.

People mention attaching themselves to wlans which are not locked down.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

Is this the same laptop you use for banking or e purchases? Do you store data you would rather the world did not see ie your emails and any letters or documents of yours?

People have been known to setup access points which appear to be a known one (say a star bucks one or a hotels network) once they are connected to you it is technically possible unless you take a lot of precautions they can do allsorts to your pc or simply see what you are sending and recieving with every day sniffer programs.

Before you say oh yeah couldn't happen my self and people i know in london have had people try and do it to us both out and about and even while at home.

Just downloading your eticket and checking the bank account..

Be very careful there are some nasty people about.

If i was a dodgy geezer in phill who was technically minded i would set up shop in a posh shaopping mall or bar area where all the rich folk locals and not so locals go to pose with their lappies and smartphones rich pickings to be had im sure.

Ana_may365
19th July 2008, 15:15
hiya!
thanks to our moderator also 'aromulus'.
thats the idea of my hubby,instead of carrying my laptop much better we carry some pasalubong.coz u know the pilipino family they want pasalubong espclly if they know that ur come from abroad.
and most espclly its a lot of internet cafe also in angeles city,also in some malls there.and i think at this time it is only cost 50 pesos per hour.
anyway,thanks to all of u again