PDA

View Full Version : pirated windows

telford
6th July 2008, 15:01
I'm just curios, is it true that pirated windows are not allowed in UK? How can the company know that the microsoft is pirated? coz im using pirated windows in my laptop :Rasp:

andypaul
6th July 2008, 15:29
If i were you i would alter that post asap you just admitted to bending the rules a tad:icon_lol:

If you was connect to windows upgrade it would possibly know and stop you updating it plus your I.P would come to their attention.

I know companies have been audited most offered the chance to buy keys for the products but if busted again:Help1: For a company the Md or a director can be locked up in theory.

In theory if your computer came in to the hands of the autorities police or customs they could report you wheter they would bother or not is anoter thing.

Also if you have a ripped off copy it could have a virus or trojan as many bootleg copies of software do for one reason or another.

Do also remeber it is also ilegal in most countries most likely Phill as well.

So if you took your flight on a plane to phill via another country anyone of them could bust you again in theory.

telford
6th July 2008, 15:34
If i were you i would alter that post asap you just admitted to bending the rules a tad:icon_lol:

If you was connect to windows upgrade it would possibly know and stop you updating it plus your I.P would come to their attention.

I know companies have been audited most offered the chance to buy keys for the products but if busted again:Help1: For a company the Md or a director can be locked up in theory.

In theory if your computer came in to the hands of the autorities police or customs they could report you wheter they would bother or not is anoter thing.

Also if you have a ripped off copy it could have a virus or trojan as many bootleg copies of software do for one reason or another.

Do also remeber it is also ilegal in most countries most likely Phill as well.

So if you took your flight on a plane to phill via another country anyone of them could bust you again in theory.

thanks for the reply andypaul! so i better invest now for my windows... thank u!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
6th July 2008, 16:05
If you are silly, you install the Windows Genuine Notification, which gives you annoying banners, switches things off, etc, otherwise it works fine in any country.

For security reasons though, I'd rather pay the £50 for the full version.

telford
7th July 2008, 03:44
If you are silly, you install the Windows Genuine Notification, which gives you annoying banners, switches things off, etc, otherwise it works fine in any country.

For security reasons though, I'd rather pay the £50 for the full version.

thanks boss, yeah i think you're right:xxgrinning--00xx3:,better to spend 50 pounds than to loss my laptop...

aromulus
7th July 2008, 08:50
thanks boss, yeah i think you're right:xxgrinning--00xx3:,better to spend 50 pounds than to loss my laptop...

Nearly new windows...

Mrs.JMajor
7th July 2008, 12:00
That was very expensive window Mod :NoNo: more than 50 pounds :yikes::D

joebloggs
7th July 2008, 19:11
get a student edition of xp :D

you can do all the updates and

bypasses wga :xxgrinning--00xx3:

how many people have you heard of Andy, that have been traced by their IP address and prosecuted by MS for using an illegal copy of windows ?

but if you want to sleep ast night and not get raided by FAST :icon_lol: buy your own copy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
7th July 2008, 19:46
MS turned a blind eye to OEM versions of Vista as folk thought they were getting a bargain so paid for it instead of hacking it.

andypaul
7th July 2008, 21:24
get a student edition of xp :D

you can do all the updates and

bypasses wga :xxgrinning--00xx3:

how many people have you heard of Andy, that have been traced by their IP address and prosecuted by MS for using an illegal copy of windows ?

but if you want to sleep ast night and not get raided by FAST :icon_lol: buy your own copy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dont know of any personally, but technically it could happen.

Maybe some daft sods who ring up/log on microsoft helpline with an iffy version:D

But like i was saying in theory your breaking the law and on a forum like this the only advice you can give is that which warns you that what you are doing could get you in big do do if you are the unlucky one.

Some countries take bootlegging very seriously so having a bootleged copy of Windows on your laptop could get you in hot water if you went though customs. Unlikely but...

Many people buy oem copies and buy a motherboard fan or some pc part saying they are buliding a computer.

Microsoft make far more on licences from Companies (many buy far more than they need to just be safe) who they do audit and will check up on if given the nod if they up to no good.

joebloggs
7th July 2008, 21:33
does MS still provide support for xp ? i thought they stopped on some o/s's

i worked for CWS for a while many years ago, and you couldn't install any s/w if you didn't have a license for it, you had to wait til it arrived.

of course you should own a legal copy of everything, and there are free o/s's out there like Linux if you don't want to buy MS or cannot afford it :D

i wonder how many companies out there have illegal s/w installed :yikes. or users have brought in from home :NoNo:

what kinda sentence would someone get for having a illegal copy of windows, if taken to court, must be a civil matter, cant see police bothering, but then they arrest shoplifters for a few £..

A_flyer
8th July 2008, 07:57
does MS still provide support for xp ? i thought they stopped on some o/s's
Microsoft will provide support for Windows XP till 2014 (I suppose end of june 2014).

andypaul
8th July 2008, 21:14
One point to bear in mind if you hold a microsoft cert they can take it away from you if involved in the use of dodgy software as its in the small print i was told today.i'll take their word for it life is to short.

Asking our own IT bods said Microsoft normally just offer to do an audit in many cases and normally for most comapnies offer to allow you to purchase the liscenses you dont have etc.

Depends on what your charged with i guess, could be a fraud case if you tried to prove you did have a valid key?

http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/vnunet/news/2150543/microsoft-launches-anti-piracy?vnu_lt=inf_art_related_articles

love this quote

There will also be town-specific campaigns in UK piracy hotspots such as Manchester, Huddersfield and Nottingham.

joebloggs
8th July 2008, 23:47
:icon_lol: and i take it, they have a warrant of some sort to search your place with fast and the cops? , i think if not , most will tell them to :censored:

one of the companies i worked for years ago, got into a bit of bother with microsoft and fast, because we bought some MS licenses in the usa, and your not allowed to sell them in the uk :icon_lol:, why ? greed that's why, they make you pay more here.. same s/w , so why the bigger price ?

same with other things, was it play.com got in trouble for selling music cds from asia in the uk, because they were alot cheaper than rip off Britain, same with jeans and tesco , when they bought them on the grey market, and was challenged in court.. :NoNo:

KeithD
9th July 2008, 09:52
You can buy software with instant download like Norton via the States, and get a decent discount. :)

LEAHnew
8th September 2008, 04:55
An Email from Microsoft Phil.

Subject: ALL PHIL WINDOWS XP USER

As part of Microsoft's global efforts to address software counterfeiting, we will be releasing an update to the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) Notifications program this September for users of Windows XP Professional. We are therefore urging users of Windows XP Professional to activate their software as soon as possible to avoid any inconveniences.
We know that a lot of users may be unaware that they are using unlicensed software. To help determine if their software is genuine, we are advising Windows users to validate their software through www.microsoft.com/philippines/genuine as early as they can.

The WGA Notifications Program is a set of technologies that are designed to help protect consumers and businesses against the risks of counterfeit software. WGA allows users of our software to validate that the copies of Windows XP installed in their computers are genuine and properly licensed.
Those who are unable to validate and activate their software will receive notifications informing them that they could be victims of counterfeiting. Also included in the latest WGA Notifications update to be released is a permanent desktop notification where the desktop background will change to black every 60 minutes. This will not freeze or reduce the functionality of the computer. Users who experience the black screen can revert to their original settings by right-clicking on the desktop and choosing "properties" or changing the display in the Control Panel. However, the desktop notification will recur every 60 minutes until the users have validated the copy of Windows XP or entered a genuine product key.

For more information, you may also go to www.microsoft.com/philippines/genuine.

KeithD
8th September 2008, 08:51
It's easy to disable WGA :xxgrinning--00xx3:

...and install all updates manually....but I never said any of that :rolleyes:

joebloggs
8th September 2008, 20:46
even better get a student edition of windows xp , no WGA :xxgrinning--00xx3:

after all, we're all students of the university of life :icon_lol:

les_taxi
8th September 2008, 22:27
erm ahem a friend of mine never ever had genuine copy of xp or vista and he got all updates,manually on xp and automatically on vista. :)

LEAHnew
9th September 2008, 02:46
It's easy to disable WGA :xxgrinning--00xx3:

...and install all updates manually....but I never said any of that :rolleyes:

:doh:rolleyes: Pm me boss how:D:Rasp::Rasp:

even better get a student edition of windows xp , no WGA :xxgrinning--00xx3:

after all, we're all students of the university of life :icon_lol:

:D good idea Joe:Rasp:

your classmate,
Leah:Cuckoo:

erm ahem a friend of mine never ever had genuine copy of xp or vista and he got all updates,manually on xp and automatically on vista. :)

Are u the friend of Keith:D:Cuckoo::icon_lol:

les_taxi
9th September 2008, 10:15
:doh:rolleyes: Pm me boss how:D:Rasp::Rasp:

:D good idea Joe:Rasp:

your classmate,
Leah:Cuckoo:

Are u the friend of Keith:D:Cuckoo::icon_lol:

we are all friends on here:)and i know i'm one of his favourites being the man utd fan that i am:xxgrinning--00xx3:

walesrob
9th September 2008, 10:43
You can buy software with instant download like Norton via the States, and get a decent discount. :)

I thought Norton stopped that nonsense a long time ago? I read somewhere if you supply a UK address and pay with a UK card, Norton will assume you are in the UK and adjust the price upwards accordingly? Its happened to me anyway - I got redirected to the UK site.

srvfan
2nd October 2008, 19:29
Ugh.

Juana
3rd October 2008, 22:20
Speaking of Microsoft, this may interest people who works for NHS. Microsoft Office 2007 (Professional) is available for under £18. They're also giving the MAC Office 2008 Version.

KeithD
4th October 2008, 09:48
I thought Norton stopped that nonsense a long time ago? I read somewhere if you supply a UK address and pay with a UK card, Norton will assume you are in the UK and adjust the price upwards accordingly? Its happened to me anyway - I got redirected to the UK site.
:Erm: Just use a friends details in the US, and purchase through a proxy! Or use a 3rd party site that doesn't check :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
4th October 2008, 10:25
[quote=jmr_1019;91068]Speaking of Microsoft, this may interest people who works for NHS. Microsoft Office 2007 (Professional) is available for under £18. quote]

May be interested in that......:rolleyes:

andypaul
4th October 2008, 15:59
:Erm: Just use a friends details in the US, and purchase through a proxy! Or use a 3rd party site that doesn't check :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Or work for a company where you just request the software you need.

All look its been published to my Profile, quick connection to vpn/network and now its loaded.

Alan
5th October 2008, 01:48
It is actually quite difficult to find GENUINE software/CDs/DVDs here in the Phils.

Al.:)

Fling
13th November 2008, 09:09
It is actually quite difficult to find GENUINE software/CDs/DVDs here in the Phils.

Al.:)

Difficult? Not really, almost every other computer shop I know sell Genuine XP's and MS softwares.

But its so easy to bypass the WGA...like just don't install it thats it.