PDA

View Full Version : Bilingual?

Gavanddal
6th July 2008, 06:54
How many of you with Brit-Phil kids have been teaching them both English and Tagalog or the wifes regional language? How are they coping with it? By what age are they quite fluent in both languages?

At 2 and a 1/2 our daughter is still getting to grips with English, but I'm sure she'll pick up some Bisaya when she's a bit older. It'll be nice if she can understand some of what her family in the Phils are saying, especially her cousin who's about the same age.

joebloggs
6th July 2008, 07:45
my daughter came to the uk when she was nearly 5, speaking a mixture of tag and english, but now she only speaks english, she struggles a bit to count to even 10 now in tag.. :cwm24:

sad in some ways, but her english is that good now, you wouldn't know she has only been in the uk 3yrs.. :D

vbkelly
6th July 2008, 09:42
How many of you with Brit-Phil kids have been teaching them both English and Tagalog or the wifes regional language? How are they coping with it? By what age are they quite fluent in both languages?

At 2 and a 1/2 our daughter is still getting to grips with English, but I'm sure she'll pick up some Bisaya when she's a bit older. It'll be nice if she can understand some of what her family in the Phils are saying, especially her cousin who's about the same age.

tell your wife to speak your daughter a bisaya

LadyJ
6th July 2008, 10:55
Me and hubby speaks tag-lish, but when we speak to our daughter we use 90% of english and the rest is tagalog.

We received our child's Annual report from school and what I hate was they said our daughter is quite poor in speaking english and she was below the average level they expected...My god! Are they stupid? Don't they understand that we have two language in the house?

LadyJ
6th July 2008, 11:05

Some parents I knew have regret for not teaching their child tagalog language, but many parents have told me that it's good to teach your child a tagalog while they're young because they will learn to speak english when they go to school.

Welsh_Italian
6th July 2008, 11:27
In general, being able to speak more than one language as a child makes it easier to learn other languages when they're an adult. My wife and I hope our daughter will speak both. As we're in the Phils, Tagalog is a given, but I hope she picks up some English too from my wife and myself. I'm sure she will, but I wonder what her accent will be too. Not worried whatever happens, I'm just curious as to how she will turn out.

KeithD
6th July 2008, 11:55
My god! Are they stupid? Don't they understand that we have two language in the house?
:Erm: Erm....what you do at home is irrelevant, the school is telling you what level your child is at compared to others the same age, so they are not stupid.

You obviosuly need to spend time with the kid concentrating on English only, maybe talking a mixture of the two is confusing her, as the younger brain cannot define a clear difference as we can, so they are blending into one.

andypaul
6th July 2008, 12:52
:Erm: Erm....what you do at home is irrelevant, the school is telling you what level your child is at compared to others the same age, so they are not stupid.

You obviosuly need to spend time with the kid concentrating on English only, maybe talking a mixture of the two is confusing her, as the younger brain cannot define a clear difference as we can, so they are blending into one.

Gotta agree with that it be just the same if a child was in Phill and their tagalog was below standard which affected the social interaction with their peers if the teachers didn't let you know you wouldn't be happy.

telford
6th July 2008, 13:00
i think i got an idea here, coz we're talking to my baby english at home,but since my family is keep on borrowing her,they will talk to them in bisaya:NoNo:
poor baby when she's back in UK then...
so i think from now on, i will ask my family to start using english when talking to her...:)

andypaul
6th July 2008, 13:24
i think i got an idea here, coz we're talking to my baby english at home,but since my family is keep on borrowing her,they will talk to them in bisaya:NoNo:
poor baby when she's back in UK then...
so i think from now on, i will ask my family to start using english when talking to her...:)

If they return your Baby late do you charge them overdue fine:D

I know of many Kids that speak two Languages ie parents tongue and English.
Many speak English with Kids from a simliar background to them and even their parents when younger from what they told me.

telford
6th July 2008, 13:28
If they return your Baby late do you charge them overdue fine:D

I know of many Kids that speak two Languages ie parents tongue and English.
Many speak English with Kids from a simliar background to them and even their parents when younger from what they told me.

no andypaul, infact we love it when they borrow the baby, so that we can have time for eachother (my hubby and me):):BouncyHappy:
anybody wanna borrow baby bea??? lol........... joke

andypaul
6th July 2008, 13:34
no andypaul, infact we love it when they borrow the baby, so that we can have time for eachother (my hubby and me):):BouncyHappy:
anybody wanna borrow baby bea??? lol........... joke

Ask the local Newsagent if your baby can do a newspaper round.

out of the house and earning money can never start them working young enough:D

telford
6th July 2008, 13:36
Ask the local Newsagent if your baby can do a newspaper round.

out of the house and earning money can never start them working young enough:D

lol good idea:Erm:

jimeve
6th July 2008, 16:48
The English are lazy when it comes to languages, my wifes niece and nephew
speak Dutch,English and some Cebuano.

KeithD
6th July 2008, 17:03
Lazy!!! I think you'll find the rest of the world are ignorant for not speaking our language :D

andypaul
6th July 2008, 21:09
Lazy!!! I think you'll find the rest of the world are ignorant for not speaking our language :D

So rude means i have to shout loudly and wave my arms about to get my Fish and Chips when abroad sometimes they dont even have a copy of the Sun:omg:

Why they dont ban all other languages and just have English, would make our lives so much easier:D

gracia143
6th July 2008, 21:14

Strong words yet true and I totally agree. I believe that English language bridges the whole world and is very useful when you are good at it. It takes intelligence to be able to do that though and so thus learning other languages but then again when you got your 'native tongue' and the English language, you can never go wrong. Cheers!!!