PDA

View Full Version : The British Embassy in Manila...

walesrob
3rd July 2008, 13:59
....is now called

"ukinthephilippines".

New website:

http://ukinthephilippines.fco.gov.uk/en :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The Embassy also moves to a new home at The Fort in Taguig City on July 15th 2008.

New address:
BRITISH EMBASSY
120 UPPER MCKINLEY ROAD
MCKINLEY TOWN CENTRE
FORT BONIFACIO
TAGUIG CITY 1634
METRO MANILA
PHILIPPINES
Telephone Number - (0063 2) 858-2200

Mrs.JMajor
3rd July 2008, 14:54
Thanks for the info Mod :cwm38::cwm38:

kimmi
3rd July 2008, 14:58
thank u very much Kuya Rob..:)

telford
3rd July 2008, 15:02
thanks for the info!

jencha8569
3rd July 2008, 15:42
needed info..thanks :)

andypaul
3rd July 2008, 20:29
Very handy thanking you Rob

I see in some places they still have the old address up.

So where is the embassy in relation to the places many of us know in Mnaila?

Where are the nearest hotels etc?

walesrob
3rd July 2008, 20:58
Very handy thanking you Rob

I see in some places they still have the old address up.

So where is the embassy in relation to the places many of us know in Mnaila?

I worked out its not too far from Glorietta, maybe a few blocks away - cross EDSA and continue down Ayala Avenue onto Mackinley Rd, and I think its a right turn somewhere near the "round" park. The location is so new, its not even on Google Earth yet. I'm sure one of our members in Manila can tell us how far it is from Glorietta.

As for hotels, I couldn't find anything, its a new area, lots of buildings going up. Its in the area nicknamed Global City, and the Stock Exchange is supposed to be moving there, along with the Korean Embassy. It makes sense to move the UK Embassy there as the British School is nearby.

andypaul
3rd July 2008, 22:44
I worked out its not too far from Glorietta, maybe a few blocks away - cross EDSA and continue down Ayala Avenue onto Mackinley Rd, and I think its a right turn somewhere near the "round" park. The location is so new, its not even on Google Earth yet. I'm sure one of our members in Manila can tell us how far it is from Glorietta.

As for hotels, I couldn't find anything, its a new area, lots of buildings going up. Its in the area nicknamed Global City, and the Stock Exchange is supposed to be moving there, along with the Korean Embassy. It makes sense to move the UK Embassy there as the British School is nearby.

Thanks Rob Would be good to know a little from our experts on the ground i will ask the Wife to speak to her cousins who work in manila what they know of the area.

If the stock exchange is going to be there im sure there will be plenty of hotels although im sure pricey.

So calling all Manila Experts what can you tell us about the area.

tomm
4th July 2008, 00:25
The website looks useful :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mrs.JMajor
4th July 2008, 00:59
Wait for miss carie post as shes living somewhere in Taguig....
no hotel nearby,but still near to makati area that means u can get hotel still in makati area (as Mod Walesrob mention about glorietta) also near on "market market" mall
One thing i can assure u,traffic is not horrible on that place cause so many big streets around w/c u can exit from anywhere

From Guadalupe u can take jeep going to Brit Embassy
(Guadalupe-Taguig) route

ginapeterb
4th July 2008, 15:09
Thanks for the information Rob me old mate, I have started to alter the website, but quite frankly, I am looking forward to a quite weekend of frivolity, so I may not get around to updating it straight away, but will do so in time.

not sure about the new website they have put up, looks a little bit downmarket to me what do you all think ?

telford
4th July 2008, 15:11
Thanks for the information Rob me old mate, I have started to alter the website, but quite frankly, I am looking forward to a quite weekend of frivolity, so I may not get around to updating it straight away, but will do so in time.

not sure about the new website they have put up, looks a little bit downmarket to me what do you all think ?

I agree with you Sir Pet!

Mrs.JMajor
5th July 2008, 06:31
Yes Mod peter,considering will be the home of one of the richest country in the word

misscarie
5th July 2008, 21:57
hello po,

i feel guilty because i can not give u info about this :bigcry: yes i live in taguig but im not too familiar in fort boni 2 rides from me here.i remember when i open my account at hsbc i see mckinley road i think near at BPI bank along the road of mcdonalds ... grrr cant rememer all , sorry:NoNo::Brick:

Peanutz
5th July 2008, 22:39
Guys you can look in expedia for the maps and hotel on that area.

Search Manila hotels and it will give you the map.

andypaul
5th July 2008, 23:11

very true but as you know you can never beat local knowledge:)

A_flyer
8th July 2008, 08:03
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 (The Manila Times)
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2008/july/08/yehey/metro/20080708met9.html

British Embassy moving to new location

Services of the British Embassy and Consulate in Manila will be limited this week as the embassy’s offices are moving to a new location.
The British Embassy will be closed to the public from Thursday, July 10 to Monday, July 14. The embassy will re-open on Tuesday, July 15.
The embassy’s new address starting from July 12 is 120 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Town Center, Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City.
The Consular Section will operate an emergency service only. British Nationals requiring emergency assistance are advised to contact the duty officer thru 0917-530 6431.
The Visa Application Center will remain open but will deal with applications solely by appointment, which qualify under the fast track criteria.
However, because of the move, the normal expected turnaround time of 48 working hours will not be valid during this time and for the period that immediately follows.
Fast track applicants can expect collection of their passports within five to seven working days during this period. http://www.manilatimes.net/images2/etc/dot.gif
-- Katrice R. Jalbuena

A_flyer
8th July 2008, 08:05
There's no hotel in Taguig, best is to stay in Makati.

walesrob
8th July 2008, 09:46

There's no hotel in Taguig, best is to stay in Makati.

Thanks Yves.

johncar54
7th October 2008, 18:23
It would be really nice to think that with the move they will provide a friendly service, but I won't hold my breath. Like a facility for people to leave, say a hand bag at the reception rather than them being obliged to wait outside, as happened to my wife to be in Feb 2006.

andypaul
7th October 2008, 22:02
Visited a lot of Embassy and high security bulidings and the Visit to British Embassy just made me laugh.

I understand the need for security to keep us all safe. But i had to almost insist on being searched when entering the British Embassy. Yet those trying to enter with geniune evidence in folders were told to showing them what they had and have a big debate what they could bring in with the Phill security guards.

A good high security buliding security team will put you at ease while doing an efficent job. The British embassy in manila failed on both points.

As long as it never gets like the US Embassy in London oh lordy that is a blooming nightmare.

Now the Finnish and Japanese Embassies both friendly in their own ways yet have very effective security:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The french are the french and i guess being a rosbif its expected:D

honeybunny
14th October 2008, 15:42
if u were familiar with the METRO market market (MALL) in FORT bonifacio taguig just a couple of minutes going to the brit embassy in mckinley road...

lunaloves7
14th October 2008, 16:46
Thanks for the information... Mr Rob!

God Bless....

sparky
20th September 2009, 22:23
a year on- is there any new hotels sprung up nearby?

JimOttley
23rd September 2009, 21:54
Visited a lot of Embassy and high security bulidings and the Visit to British Embassy just made me laugh.

I understand the need for security to keep us all safe. But i had to almost insist on being searched when entering the British Embassy. Yet those trying to enter with geniune evidence in folders were told to showing them what they had and have a big debate what they could bring in with the Phill security guards.

A good high security buliding security team will put you at ease while doing an efficent job. The British embassy in manila failed on both points.

As long as it never gets like the US Embassy in London oh lordy that is a blooming nightmare.

Now the Finnish and Japanese Embassies both friendly in their own ways yet have very effective security:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The french are the french and i guess being a rosbif its expected:D

I'm a bit late to this thread but it's here :-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Manila&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=21.593549,57.084961&ie=UTF8&ll=14.540811,121.053978&spn=0.004299,0.006968&t=k&z=18

dead center you can see the foundations going in, the light brown area is pretty much the whole of the grounds.

It's really not so easy to get too and it was hell trying to get a taxi when you leave, there was little or no parking that I remember from my visits last December.

You will only get in if you leave everything you have at the gatehouse, nothing gets in with you except your documents.

Filipino's also have to leave a secondary ID at the gate, I think I had to leave my driving licence as well :Erm:

It's a depressing building, modern architecture and not terribly inspired, grey and looks like a fortress, the consular services section is tiny I think three service points behind the glass and one interview room.

There is a lot of construction going on in the surrounding area, I believe the new Korean Emabssy is being built next door (handy for us as Ana also has Korean nationality :))

Don't remember any hotels in particular most of the ongoing construction looked like up market residential.

Not easy to walk anywhere as it's all uphill to get back to civilization :) and the C5 highway cuts you off from everything else in the other direction :) they couldn't have picked a more awkward spot, very nice surroundings on McKinley Hill though :D

Jim