PDA

View Full Version : work/fiance visa.

devin33
7th July 2006, 14:03
Hi,

My girlfriend is currently living/working in Dubai. I have been to see her a few times and she has also been here. We have all the evidence i.e. photos, plane tickets, letters, emails etc etc.

As far as Im aware, for my gf to live with me in Scotland she has to either, get a job or marry me.

Now, we love each other and I hope that one day that is the case, but it seems like to much pressure to get married/engaged for a visa, would rather do that when we wanted.

So I suppose that leaves the work visa. She does have a nursing degree but has never actually used the qualification and my gf thinks this may be a problem

It would be great if she could come here and work then hopefully later on we could settle down but I would hate it if she had to then move away because the work visa ran out.

Any help, tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Scott

KeithD
7th July 2006, 14:53
They are no longer bringing in foreign nurses, so that is not an option.

Philip
7th July 2006, 18:13
Looks like you only have two options then, get married soon, or visit one another more and then see if you are ready for marriage at a later date.

Anyway, Dubai isn't all that far away! :Rasp:

KeithD
8th July 2006, 08:20
Also a visa from Dubai will be easier to get than if she was in the Philippines.

devin33
11th July 2006, 16:42
Does she have to work as a nurse or is it difficult to get a work visa for a different job i.e. anything!

Also, does the fiance visa mean that we really have to get married?

Thanks guys/gals

Scott:)

ivor&mel
11th July 2006, 17:13
Does she have to work as a nurse or is it difficult to get a work visa for a different job i.e. anything!

Also, does the fiance visa mean that we really have to get married?

Thanks guys/gals

Scott:)
The Fiancee Visa is a bit of a misnomer: it's actually a Marriage Visa, granted to allow the holder to marry the named person in the UK within 6 months of the date of issue. So, you really have to get married - or else the fiancee really has to leave the UK when it expires :D

devin33
11th July 2006, 20:11
Ah ok, that is definatly out of the window.

Ok, so work visa? Can she come here and work?

Thanks

Scott:cwm38:

ivor&mel
11th July 2006, 20:30
Can't personally advise on work permits, but I'm sure others can. Have you had a look at the official website (http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1018721068127)?

KeithD
11th July 2006, 20:34
Very difficult to get a work permir for a Filipino now, the goverment has decided they are no longer required, as we now bring in Eastern Europeans to do the jobs.

devin33
12th July 2006, 00:01
Argh, trying not to get frustrated i.e. What can Eastern Europeans do that Filipinos cant? (no offence to Eastern Europeans). Its just annoying that they can come here easily simply because they are now in the EU.

Yes I know it is a brick wall but Im not going to give up.

Win2win and Ivor and Mel, thanks:)

One more question (sorry lol)

Can I employ my girlfriend? I am self employed and run a limited company? (yes I like to explore every option) :cwm38:

ginapeterb
12th July 2006, 08:21
Unfortunately, you cannot get around UK Immigration rules, it seems to me if you are not ready to either live together as man and wife, your options are limited to visitors visa, however you can apply for up to 1 year now, so that might be your best option, the fiancee visa as Ivor has pointed out, has a limited use, but as for you employing your GF in your self employed business, that is a non starter, as all jobs are now vetted on a points system, i.e. the Highly skilled migrant programme, as Keith says, Nurses are not required anymore in the UK, that programme has ended.

So best of luck with this, visitor visa seems the best option again.

KeithD
12th July 2006, 09:40
I employ my missus in my company, but then she arrived on a Fiancee visa :)

ginapeterb
12th July 2006, 10:01
Keith, hahaha how does that help him ?

devin33
12th July 2006, 11:30
So maybe try for a year visitor visa then try for a fiance visa? Sounds like an option although I would hate the idea of my gf not getting the fiance visa then having to go away.

KeithD
12th July 2006, 12:35
Just get married, divorce is easy :)

devin33
13th July 2006, 00:04
Ok, so if we can get like a 1 year visiting visa (which I think is not too difficult from Dubai) can we then apply after a few months for a fiance visa? I really hate the idea of her having left her job then having to go back to the Philippines:bigcry:

Win2win...divorce is easy but damn expensive lol

KeithD
13th July 2006, 10:35
My divorce was less than £50 :Erm:

devin33
13th July 2006, 18:56
That is fascinating ....:Erm:

em...

Ok, so if we can get like a 1 year visiting visa (which I think is not too difficult from Dubai) can we then apply after a few months for a fiance visa? I really hate the idea of her having left her job then having to go back to the Philippines:bigcry:

KeithD
13th July 2006, 20:46
Simply, the immigration do not like people piddling about with visa's.

If you do it with a visiting visa....then ask for a fiancee....they may decide you had planned it that way all along and refuse......then again they may not....but it is additional risk you are adding to the situation.

I don't see what is wrong with a fiancee visa, as that is obviously what you want, and isn't 6 months long enough to decide if you like someone? :Erm:

Only takes me an hour......;)

devin33
13th July 2006, 22:32
Hehe, ok.

remee_milano
13th July 2006, 22:58
Follow up Question: to be married with in 6 months then? so how will you prove that youll get married in UK within 6 months?

thank you

devin33
14th July 2006, 00:56
Marriage certificate and a date for the actual wedding I would think Remee:)

ivor&mel
14th July 2006, 08:18
Follow up Question: to be married with in 6 months then? so how will you prove that youll get married in UK within 6 months?

thank you
Of course you can't prove a future event. If you apply for a fiancee (i.e. marriage) visa, the embassy will want "evidence" that you intend to marry, namely a date/time/location for the marriage and a date/time/location for the reception. But there is no requirement for written confirmation of these...

If, after she comes to the UK, you should decide not to marry, then, unless there are strong extenuating circumstances, it's "so long and thanks for all the (dried) fish"...

KeithD
14th July 2006, 09:18
...and fried vinegar....:xxmixed-smiley-017: