PDA

View Full Version : Recent Bombing in Philippines

Eljohno
5th July 2006, 18:16
We advise against all travel to central, southern and western Mindanao, and the Sulu archipelago including Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Jolo, where there are ongoing military and police operations against insurgent groups. On 23 June 2006, a bomb exploded in Maguindanao Province, Western Mindanao. Reports suggest that five people were killed and a further 10 were injured. On 27 March 2006, an explosive device was detonated in Jolo Town killing five people and injuring at least 27. You should take particular care and maintain high levels of vigilance when travelling to the rest of Mindanao, including Davao.:NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo: :NoNo:

ivor&mel
5th July 2006, 19:06
Interesting, John. Doesn't seem long ago that someone was on here getting upset when it was suggested that Davao is not the safest place on Earth. Wonder if he's there now? :D

ginapeterb
5th July 2006, 21:02
Situation normal in Mindanao, should we be suprised, in Central Luzon last week, a firefight took place between AFP and communist insurgents, there were firefights in Central Visayas also, its now all over the Philippines, the fact is, no matter where you travel, you must be vigilant, there have been bombings in Central Manila, Lawton Bus terminal (have been here) saw 11 people injured earlier on this year as somone tossed a hand grenade into a busy bus terminal.

Its also true, that the AFP have lost 110 Men killed and dozens of others, wounded in last 12 months fighting communist rebels, and the rebels have lost only 85, declared dead.

Its everywhere chaps !, goes with the territory I am afraid.

KeithD
5th July 2006, 22:40
Interesting, John. Doesn't seem long ago that someone was on here getting upset when it was suggested that Davao is not the safest place on Earth. Wonder if he's there now? :D

Yes, I was making it all up........so was the Home Office.....and the people who live in Mindanao.....:doh

baboyako
6th July 2006, 19:47
http://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1099136715745

Around 50,000 British tourists visit the Philippines every year. Most visits are trouble-free. The main type of incidents for which British nationals require consular assistance in the Philippines are replacing lost or stolen passports, running out of money or overstaying their visa. You should be alert to the risk of street crime.

I really do wonder how you 'run out of money' in the Philippines?

KeithD
6th July 2006, 21:32
My friend nearly did...he took a MAESTRO card :icon_lol:

....he'll kill me for saying that :NoNo:

ervenescence
7th July 2006, 11:34
Im afraid Davao is not the safest City to live, danger could be everywhere even London is one of the major target of those freak terrorists.

fontain
7th July 2006, 12:15
Yep, I work just around the corner from Tavistock Square where the bus bomb went off.

Everyone was just out on the street for the 2min silence.

It reminded me of just how close to home it really was.

Heres to the 52 that never made it and their familys lost loved ones.

Eljohno
7th July 2006, 12:58
It is hard to imagine what they are all going through losing a family member or friend that way. Will remember them in prayer!!!

baboyako
8th July 2006, 17:01
luckily for me I was at work at 7:45am :cwm3: on 7/7.

Aldgate bomb was on the train going the other direction too - so I would have missed it anyway. Much safer on a Jeepney to Roxas than any public transport in london. cheaper too :cwm12:

I think biggest problem in davao is DDS (davao death squad) but as long as you are not choi choi you will be fine.