PDA

View Full Version : Broadband and Phone Line Connection

rands
5th July 2006, 11:27
Hi mates! :Hellooo: Has anybody tried using TalkTalks Broadband and Phone Line Solution? As the website, moneysavingexpert, shows it 's the cheapest option. Obviously, this is so much cheaper than BT normal hefty rate.

Any opinion about the security and reliability of this service?

Cheers,

Rands :)

ivor&mel
5th July 2006, 11:37
Rands,

Have you had a look at the comments on ADSLguide (http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=talktalk)? That's usually a reliable starting point.

Ivor and Mel

rands
5th July 2006, 12:50
Thanks Ivor and Mel,

This is such an informative site. I am reading the articles there to gain more insights and views about the most reliable and secure connection.

Maybe some of you here can advise on what you think is the best internet and phone service provider. It will be a great help too.

Rands

rands
5th July 2006, 12:50
Thanks Ivor and Mel,

This is such an informative site. I am reading the articles there to gain more insights and views about the most reliable and secure connection.

Maybe some of you here can advise on what you think is the best internet and phone service provider. It will be a great help too.

Rands

ivor&mel
5th July 2006, 13:22
Is it just me seeing double? :yikes: :D

Is cable a possible option for you? Or are you like me and out of reach of it?

walesrob
5th July 2006, 13:31
Is it just me seeing double? :yikes: :D

Is cable a possible option for you? Or are you like me and out of reach of it?

I use Pipex as my ISP, and I had a call from Homecall (owned by Pipex) asking me if I'd like to take their combined internet and call package. I declined the offer as the broadband/telco market is changing everyday and theres always better deals out there. Somehow I find the combination of Pipex for broadband and BT for my calls much easier to handle :Rasp:

rands
5th July 2006, 13:33
Sorry about that. I pressed the enter key twice by mistake. :)

There is no cable in the town here as far as i know. Is there another option?

ivor&mel
5th July 2006, 13:46
At the moment, I wouldn't trust any company to be able to deliver a good combined broadband + phone service. I'm with PlusNet and they are making that sort of offer, but I wouldn't touch it with the proverbial. Just changing ISPs is enough hassle nowadays, so having to change broadband + phone at the same time if you became disenchanted with the service sounds like a nightmare to me.

baboyako
5th July 2006, 19:09
I am with talktalk. here are some points i consider worthy.

1) the month before i signed up with BT (no broadband, just voice line) I got a 200quid bill for 'terminating my contract'
2) the talktalk is not 'free' you must sign up to international calling.
3) there is a 30quid 'connection charge'
4) i dont use the voice line anyway. always use my mobile.
5) there are about 5 unsecured wifi routers i can use for internet nearby.
6) talk talk is a 1mbit connection.

so in summary, i'm a total idiot with an 18month talktalk contract - maybe buy carphone warehouse shares?

KeithD
5th July 2006, 22:35
The good thing about TALKTALK is you don't get any bills from BT :D

They also use there own equipment in the exchange, so you are not relying on BT :D

You get around a 30GB+ allowance in the price :D (Tiscali, BT, etc, all 2GB)

My mates just signed up for it, as it works out cheaper than BT & dialup. I've also heard no major complaints about it.

walesrob
5th July 2006, 22:41
The good thing about TALKTALK is you don't get any bills from BT :D

They also use there own equipment in the exchange, so you are not relying on BT :D

You get around a 30GB+ allowance in the price :D (Tiscali, BT, etc, all 2GB)

My mates just signed up for it, as it works out cheaper than BT & dialup. I've also heard no major complaints about it.

So the TalkTalk deal is only any good if you have LLU platfom at your local exchange, something that wont happen in this part of Wales for many years to come!

Eljohno
5th July 2006, 22:47
Well at least they have finally got you phone lines and electricity now rob which is progress lol

walesrob
6th July 2006, 00:45
Well at least they have finally got you phone lines and electricity now rob which is progress lol

Yeah blimey I saw a bus the other day, don't get many of those round here ;)

Eljohno
6th July 2006, 12:57
Yeah blimey I saw a bus the other day, don't get many of those round here ;)

Sorry to tell you this Rob but it was not a bus but a wheelbarrow with lights on it:icon_lol:

KeithD
6th July 2006, 18:34
:NoNo: