PDA

View Full Version : domestic helper

telford
23rd June 2008, 15:54
did any of you here try to bring domestic helper to the UK? i was planning to bring our house helper in UK when we go back there,coz baby sitting there is so expensive.unlike if u bring your helper form Philippines, they will agree even you will only give her salary thats not so big and they will do all your house hold chores as well,while you and your husband are working to earn a better living.
but im not sure what to do about her visa? is it easy to get a domestic helpers visa?
anybody who have experience,please i need your advice!

keithAngel
23rd June 2008, 16:32
did any of you here try to bring domestic helper to the UK? i was planning to bring our house helper in UK when we go back there,coz baby sitting there is so expensive.unlike if u bring your helper form Philippines, they will agree even you will only give her salary thats not so big and they will do all your house hold chores as well,while you and your husband are working to earn a better living.
but im not sure what to do about her visa? is it easy to get a domestic helpers visa?
anybody who have experience,please i need your advice!

We have such things here as "Minimum wage" currently about £5.60 an hour and if you become an employer you will also have to pay National Insurance and holiday pay you have almost nil chance of a visa for this or less.

Much more chance through an agency but then what you will find is your "maid" will also have the same idea as you:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
23rd June 2008, 17:02
well for a start you must have employed your domestic helper for at least a year, and you will probably need pay slips to prove it.

also as you know this is not the phils, workers have rights in the uk, and i think even if you managed to get her a visa, you would have to pay them the minimum wage, 24 days hols, etc.... :yikes:

but then i could be wrong :rolleyes:

depending on your incomes, you could get tax credits and maybe the childcare element, which could be as much as 70% of your childcare fees :D

well said keithangel, beat me to it ..

joebloggs
23rd June 2008, 17:25
and i wouldn't think of applying for a visitor visa for a family memeber to look after your little one, alarm bells will ring at the embassy, if you mention baby and visitor visa for family member, looking after a child is work- childcare, wether paid or not, and again breech of immigration rules :NoNo:

andypaul
23rd June 2008, 18:58
They would need a salary of about 13 grand i think which would need to be taxed etc.

then like the chaps mention holidays, and the employer contributions.

telford
24th June 2008, 02:46
well for a start you must have employed your domestic helper for at least a year, and you will probably need pay slips to prove it.

also as you know this is not the phils, workers have rights in the uk, and i think even if you managed to get her a visa, you would have to pay them the minimum wage, 24 days hols, etc....

well,about that she's[QUOTE] working to us for at least one year,she qualify coz my husband and me are staying here in Philippines more than a year now.and she's working with us since we came here.but prior to that,she's working to my family more than 10years already as our house helper.she was my baby sitter when i was young so we know her already.to prove this,do u think photographs can help? or an affidavit of two disinterested party stating that shes working to us for how many years already and is certified by an attorney? i think i also need to ask our Attorney to make us contract of employment,do you think this will help?

i read this in the embassy site:
What supporting documents should I include with my application?
You should include all the documents you can to show that you qualify for entry to the UK as an overseas domestic worker. If you do not, we may refuse your application.

As a guide, you should include:

* written confirmation from your employer that they will support you and give you somewhere to live, and
* a written copy of your main terms and conditions of employment,
* documentary evidence that you have been employed for one year or more by your sponsor for example an original contract of employment and payslips.

How do I qualify as a domestic worker in a private household?
You must be able to show evidence for the following.

* You are aged over 18.
* You have been working as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer for at least one year immediately before your application, or you have been working in a household that your employer uses regularly for themselves for at least one year immediately before your application, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer.
* You intend to travel to the UK with your employer, your employer’s husband, wife, civil partner, eligible partner or your employer’s child who is under 18.
* You intend to work full-time as a domestic worker in the same house as your employer, or in a household that the employer uses regularly for himself or herself, and you can show that there is a connection between you and your employer.
* You do not intend to work in the UK except as a domestic worker.
* You can support yourself (as confirmed by your employer) without needing help from public funds.

You are a domestic worker if you are providing a personal service linked to the running of your employer's household. Examples include chauffeurs, gardeners, cooks and nannies.

David House
24th June 2008, 09:49
It is my opinion that you should be OK with this. You will have to satisfy the requirements of a minimum employment of one year, and have evidence to prove it, so make sure you have prepared wage slips etc. If you go to the Philippine Embassy website they have suitable standard employment contracts available to download and I would tend to use these.
Regarding the minimum wage, holidays, and hours of work I don't think these apply to domestic helpers in these circumstances. All you have to do is undertake to support them and provide somewhere to live. It is not like normal employment. As I plan to do the same in future years I will watch this thread with interest.

Mrs Daddy
24th June 2008, 11:12
just to share this story from america who happened to take thier filipina maid with them as well to america.To make the story short I dunno how long that filipina maid worked for filipino couple in America but then her wage was based on philippines salary while she was in the U.S with the said couple and then this filipina maid later found out that she could sue the filipino couple who was her employer for not given her the fair wage and holidays and etch.and to shorten the story the filipina maid won the case and the employer ordered to paid her for the length of time she was working with them and as well to give thier house to her.thats an instant richness for her:)so I think its costly to take your filipina maid with you if you have to have to pay them same wage here.I hope that makes sense...

keithAngel
24th June 2008, 11:23
just to share this story from america who happened to take thier filipina maid with them as well to america.To make the story short I dunno how long that filipina maid worked for filipino couple in America but then her wage was based on philippines salary while she was in the U.S with the said couple and then this filipina maid later found out that she could sue the filipino couple who was her employer for not given her the fair wage and holidays and etch.and to shorten the story the filipina maid won the case and the employer ordered to paid her for the length of time she was working with them and as well to give thier house to her.thats an instant richness for her:)so I think its costly to take your filipina maid with you if you have to have to pay them same wage here.I hope that makes sense...

Quiet agree good for the goose.........good for the gander

David House
24th June 2008, 11:25

The requirements in the USA have no bearing on those for us in the UK. A domestic worker coming with their employer does NOT need a work permit and cannot work anywhere else. So far as I can tell the contractural arrangements between the worker and their employer is of no concern to the UK government. Their only concern is that there should be no use of public funds.

telford
24th June 2008, 13:06

our attorney advise us to make 2 employment contract, one with a contract with higher wage which you submit to the embassy with her visa application and another one with the exact wage that you give her every month.you also have to estate in the contract that you as her employee are the one who provide her food and shelter and pay for her travel expenses.so if ever anything happens,she cannot sue us,coz those contract is sworn by an attorney...well,i dont know if it helps:doh

telford
24th June 2008, 13:13
The requirements in the USA have no bearing on those for us in the UK. A domestic worker coming with their employer does NOT need a work permit and cannot work anywhere else. So far as I can tell the contractural arrangements between the worker and their employer is of no concern to the UK government. Their only concern is that there should be no use of public funds.

Im really tempted to give a try to apply for her visa,but i think i need to gather more information first,so that atleast it wont be a waste of time,money and effort.But its really so nice to bring our helper there coz i know her already for many years and we trust her that she can take good care of our baby while we're out to work,like what she did when I was a baby and my parents are working.
i hope that I can get information soon...

Pepe n Pilar
24th June 2008, 13:45
Just want to share this story. A rich couple in the Phils migrated to UK and brought with them 2 kids ages 11 and 8 yrs old and the filipina househelper. They came here 3 yrs ago sometime in Sept. Then in Nov the maid asked for a day off and then she went to the town center and then went to church. While in the church she was approached by a lady (Thai) and befriended her which thought at first she is also a Thai. This filipina maid told the Thai that she is not treated well and wanted to look for another employer. And so this Thai who is married introduced the filipina maid to her husband's friend who is a British and a bachelor. Since then the Brit often visited her at home and decided to live together. So The maid with confidence told her boss she is leaving them bec she doesn't want the treatment and there was an issue in the wage as well. That is her story, we don't know what's the real score. Then after 4 months of courtship they got married. Now they already have a 2 yr old daughter. The employer who spent for her travel visas were left with the 2 kids and now has big problems how to cope with the present situation since both are also working.

telford
24th June 2008, 14:05
Just want to share this story. A rich couple in the Phils migrated to UK and brought with them 2 kids ages 11 and 8 yrs old and the filipina househelper. They came here 3 yrs ago sometime in Sept. Then in Nov the maid asked for a day off and then she went to the town center and then went to church. While in the church she was approached by a lady (Thai) and befriended her which thought at first she is also a Thai. This filipina maid told the Thai that she is not treated well and wanted to look for another employer. And so this Thai who is married introduced the filipina maid to her husband's friend who is a British and a bachelor. Since then the Brit often visited her at home and decided to live together. So The maid with confidence told her boss she is leaving them bec she doesn't want the treatment and there was an issue in the wage as well. That is her story, we don't know what's the real score. Then after 4 months of courtship they got married. Now they already have a 2 yr old daughter. The employer who spent for her travel visas were left with the 2 kids and now has big problems how to cope with the present situation since both are also working.

whoaahhh!!! i dont know what to do anymore! what if it will happen to us also?:NoNo:

joebloggs
24th June 2008, 14:51
our attorney advise us to make 2 employment contract, one with a contract with higher wage which you submit to the embassy with her visa application and another one with the exact wage that you give her every month.you also have to estate in the contract that you as her employee are the one who provide her food and shelter and pay for her travel expenses.so if ever anything happens,she cannot sue us,coz those contract is sworn by an attorney...well,i dont know if it helps:doh

thats good, an attorney advising you to commit fraud :NoNo:

charlwill
24th June 2008, 15:23
A friend did the same thing. Brought her helper/maid from the Phils. and it is only lasted for a couple of months then, the maid left them for the issues of salary and maltreatment. The maid went to one of her friend and asked for her if she can look an employer for her. My friend end up looking after her 3 kids and her maid is in London now, with her new employer.

ca143
24th June 2008, 15:39
A friend did the same thing. Brought her helper/maid from the Phils. and it is only lasted for a couple of months then, the maid left them for the issue of salary and maltreatment. The maid went to one of her friend and asked for her if she can look an employer for her. My friend end up looking after her 3 kids and her maid is in London now, with her new employer.

huhhhhhhhhhhhhh,very SAD:bigcry::doh:bigcry:

flomike
24th June 2008, 19:42
for sure if getting a maid is so easy all of us here has a MAID already:D. And I think if you get a house a helper now the maximum visa the HO will give is 6 months and non reneweable (not sure though) if it is true its just a waste of money and time as visa is so expensive:NoNo:

a friend of mine who is a househelper here her employer is British, well, their very well off so its not a problem with them to get one. I don't know how much they paying her but she got a weekend day off, bank holiday off (no pay no work ) and annual holiday to Phils. Her visa is renewable every year. She got married last year to a filipino and her husband is here now, its nice to have an employer like her who are very kind hearted:BouncyHappy:

why not try to get a family member? another friend of mine just got her mum for a six months visit visa (of course the truth is to look after her 1 yr old son) sometimes we just need luck, like her and her mum:D

Mrs Daddy
24th June 2008, 19:59
my hubby told me about this particular MP who happened to have an american GF before and the American lady wanting her husband to take with them the nanny of her child which happened to be a filipina back to uk and the said MP uses his power to let this nanny entered to here but the government later found out about this and he was in a big,big trouble and the sad thing about there is there not together now:NoNo::doh:yikes:

Mrs Daddy
24th June 2008, 20:03
whoaahhh!!! i dont know what to do anymore! what if it will happen to us also?:NoNo:

why how old is your helper now:Erm:thought she was the one who look after you when you were small:Erm::)

Mrs Daddy
24th June 2008, 20:04
I mean if she goes with you and find for a bf in uk?:)

keithAngel
24th June 2008, 20:11

Whatever next you just cant find staff nowadays who know there place:cwm23::NoNo::icon_lol:

telford
25th June 2008, 03:05
I mean if she goes with you and find for a bf in uk?:)

our nanny is now 54,she's widow for 10 yrs now.she have filipino b/f thats 10yrs younger than her:D

Mrs Daddy
25th June 2008, 19:40
our nanny is now 54,she's widow for 10 yrs now.she have filipino b/f thats 10yrs younger than her:D

owws might have a chance then:Erm::D

andypaul
25th June 2008, 20:38
Whatever next you just cant find staff nowadays who know there place:cwm23::NoNo::icon_lol:

From what i see at heathrow and up in the posh and very well off south ken and belgariva for example many dosmestic helpers end up there and have very nice perks and pay from what i hear.