PDA

View Full Version : Ferry sinks in Philippines 800 feared dead!

Eljohno
22nd June 2008, 06:24
It is with a very heavy heart that i write this message as it seems that 800 people have lost their lives when a ferry travelling from Manila - Cebu was turned over by a Typhoon late Saturday night and as yet no rescue attempts have been made because of the weather.

Included on board where 50 children!

What really brings this story home to me is the sister of my wife called Claire was to marry a guy who was on that boat working and seems to be among the dead.

Why the ferry was allowed to sail will know doubt need to be looked into as many people will be very angry at this...

Please pray for all those families who have lost people on this ferry..

Latest reports say that 4 bodies washed up with 2 of them having tied themselves together...

A_flyer
22nd June 2008, 07:29
My condolences to the families of the passengers and crew that didn't escape from the sunk ferry.

They tried to rescue the ferry, but it was not possible to arrive near her:
Three Navy vessels have been readied to rescue the passengers and crew. The vessel nearest the area, the PG378 stationed in Masbate province, had to abort its rescue mission due to "gigantic waves, pounding rain, and gusty winds," Arevalo said.
Read here: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/regions/view/20080622-144117/Ferry-carrying-over-800-sinking-in-storm--officials

Good they are beginning to find survivors:
3 ferry survivors found in Romblon -- official
MANILA, Philippines (AFP) -- Three survivors from a ferry that sank off Sibuyan island have been found, but more than 700 passengers and crew remain missing, a local official said Sunday...
Read here: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/regions/view/20080622-144137/3-ferry-survivors-found-in-Romblon----official

Rescue ship on the way to get ‘Princess’ survivors
MANILA, Philippines -- The Philippine Coast Guard’s BRP Batangas is expected to reach the capsized MV Princess of the Stars off Sibuyan Island, Romblon, about 1 p.m. Sunday to rescue 626 passengers and 121 crew...
Read here: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/regions/view/20080622-144138/Rescue-ship-on-the-way-to-get-Princess-survivors

KeithD
22nd June 2008, 09:01
Why the ferry was allowed to sail will know doubt need to be looked into as many people will be very angry at this...

The ferry left in calm seas on Friday, with no severe weather forecast for the trip. Mid-way through the typhoon changed direction, and with the ships engines failing, it was doomed.

I wouldn't even trust an Asian ferry on calm waters, if I had to go on one, I'd pack an inflatable life raft in my luggage.

vbkelly
22nd June 2008, 09:15
It is with a very heavy heart that i write this message as it seems that 800 people have lost their lives when a ferry travelling from Manila - Cebu was turned over by a Typhoon late Saturday night and as yet no rescue attempts have been made because of the weather.

Included on board where 50 children!

What really brings this story home to me is the sister of my wife called Claire was to marry a guy who was on that boat working and seems to be among the dead.

Please pray for all those families who have lost people on this ferry..

Latest reports say that 4 bodies washed up with 2 of them having tied themselves together...

hopefully you'll be okey and safe with your family

patti1227
22nd June 2008, 10:52
As of 3:59PM, national death toll included 59 people who drowned in the central province of Iloilo, with another 40 missing...

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/102621/Rescue-ship-reaches-stricken-ferry-typhoon-death-toll-at-80

purplealien
22nd June 2008, 12:55
Very sad indeed, me and my girlfriend plan to use this ferry route in September as she likes taking the boat. I hope more survivors are found.

Eljohno
23rd June 2008, 00:32
Latest from here is about 30 survived but more than 800 still missing feared dead.

I do not think my sister in law has come to grips with what just happened and i just found out she recently got engaged to her boyfriend..

KeithD
23rd June 2008, 09:07
It sunk about 300m from shore :Erm: No sign of washed up lifeboats/life jackets from what I've seen of the pictures so far, and yet the ship wouldn't have turned over straight away after being grounded.

I suppose the owners only had parachutes on board..........well they have life jackets in airplanes :doh

jencha8569
23rd June 2008, 14:54
as far as the news here in phils. the ship has no engine probs
its the bad weather (waves and strong wind)that caused the sinking.
300 meters from shore the ship smacked into something and
coz of bad weather the ship no longer manuever so it sinked.
based on the survivors they all wearing life jackets but some are
afraid to jump to the sea so they trapped inside.
still many speculations rises but i do hope they still find many
survivors as poss.
sad tradgedy but life must go on.

keithAngel
24th June 2008, 01:08
An article on maritime "safety" in the Phillipines

http://www.pcij.org/stories/1993/shipping2.html

Eljohno
24th June 2008, 08:01
Latest from here (though each news channel has a different story) it seems that there could be as many as 50 survived but waiting on the arrival of an American ship from Japan to try and get into the ship to see if anyone still alive in the air pockets although they have tried knocking but no reply...