PDA

View Full Version : Negros News 21st June 2008

Alan
21st June 2008, 09:33
Hello.
Well, here I am in Valencia, Negros, just as we are into the 3rd day of being hit by Typhoon Frank.
Very strong winds and rain here - oooops! there goes another house floating by!!
We have no water here - the authorities turn it off in strong rain because the local river floods and contaminates the supply.
Electricity is on, off, on, off - so I am sending this report during a period of 'supply.'
My roof is leaking so badly, Hanna and I are having to relocate to another room.
The road outside the house is now a mud slide and so can't get out to go to Dumaguete and get drunk.
Apart from that, welcome to the Philippines everyone!

This is Al Clegg - Filipinouk news - completely pissed off - wet - thirsty - cold - passing you back to the studio.

Al.:NoNo:

aposhark
21st June 2008, 10:45
....The road outside the house is now a mud slide and so can't get out to go to Dumaguete and get drunk.

Hi Al, just think of the pesos you're saving by not going to "Why Not" :cwm12:

Just spoke to my GF on a tiny island in the middle of the big blue, could hardly hear her for the wind.
BBC said yesterday, Friday, that the typhoon is passing by Phils on the East side.
Looking at http://www.typhoon2000.ph/ shows it is quite severe as you well know :NoNo::yikes:

Batten down the hatches :yikes:

Alan
24th June 2008, 10:21
Al here again. Since my last report, power has been off (about 60 hours altogether.) Came back on here at 3.00 p.m. today.
Typhoon did quite a lot of damage here in Valencia but, thankfully, not too serious. No casualties as far as I can gather. Few coconut trees blown over and lot of other plant and tree damage.
A few of the nippa houses suffered roof damage but we all rallied round and effected repairs (I don't think they could believe that the 'white man' would get his hands dirty helping to clear damage(Brownie point I think!))

Elsewhere, the stories are not so good - of course there is the shocking ferry disaster (my prayers to everyone concerned - especially to a member of our family on here.)

According to the local lies - ooops! sorry, newspaper, Bohol and parts of Luzon got it real bad. Of course, with no power, I have not been able to see TV reports.

I hope and pray that everyone who flew over here at the weekend had safe flights and landings.

I notice that Gloria did not cancel her US trip to personally survey the damage and loss of life!!!

Nice to be back - a la prochaine!

Al.:)

KeithD
24th June 2008, 10:54
N Wales Update:
70mph winds at the weekend......some branches snapped, maybe the odd tree down. Power went off for about 3 secs. Window 'may' have rattled once.

Alan
24th June 2008, 12:50
N Wales Update:
70mph winds at the weekend......some branches snapped, maybe the odd tree down. Power went off for about 3 secs. Window 'may' have rattled once.

My God Keith!!!!!! I hope you're OK mate!!

KeithD
24th June 2008, 13:00
My God Keith!!!!!! I hope you're OK mate!!

Broke a nail.......so suing the government for not building a 1000ft wall around our village :rolleyes: .......Like the one around Manchester :D

ginapeterb
24th June 2008, 13:39
Al how are things in Bacolod, I arrive on the 24th of next month, come over and visit me mate if you want, thats if you can get over, I don't think I can get to Dumaguete but if you are over the other side of the province, or coming to Bacolod, give me a shout, come to my place if you want.

Just let me know what its like in Bacolod if you have any news, thankfully my house is ok, solidly built but also higher above sea level, just hope my car is ok, has not been swept away, my house keeper assures us that everything is ok, apart from my sun flowers outside the gates, they went West out to sea I heard.

Pete

Alan
24th June 2008, 13:47
Al how are things in Bacolod, I arrive on the 24th of next month, come over and visit me mate if you want, thats if you can get over, I don't think I can get to Dumaguete but if you are over the other side of the province, or coming to Bacolod, give me a shout, come to my place if you want.

Just let me know what its like in Bacolod if you have any news, thankfully my house is ok, solidly built but also higher above sea level, just hope my car is ok, has not been swept away, my house keeper assures us that everything is ok, apart from my sun flowers outside the gates, they went West out to sea I heard.

Pete

I have a couple of friends in Bacolod - I shall check out for you.

aposhark
24th June 2008, 16:21

Pete

Pete, I was in Bacolod in Feb '08
Don't know if you have travelled by Seres Liner on the West Coast down to Sipalay and continued on around to Dumaguete?
The journey to Sipalay was great but the 3 buses from there to Dumaguete was a nightmare! The roads are really bad and you have to wait at stops.
I found the busy city of Bacolod to be quite tense, but this was coming from Malapascua with it's laidback smiling people. It was such a difference getting to the city again after sleepy beaches with squid drying everywhere and scuba boats.
Mind you I did have Delhi Belly in Bacolod and that doesn't exactly put one at ease with the world :cwm24:

angel1231
24th June 2008, 17:00
:Hellooo:
Al here again. Since my last report, power has been off (about 60 hours altogether.) Came back on here at 3.00 p.m. today.
Typhoon did quite a lot of damage here in Valencia but, thankfully, not too serious. No casualties as far as I can gather. Few coconut trees blown over and lot of other plant and tree damage.
A few of the nippa houses suffered roof damage but we all rallied round and effected repairs (I don't think they could believe that the 'white man' would get his hands dirty helping to clear damage(Brownie point I think!))

Elsewhere, the stories are not so good - of course there is the shocking ferry disaster (my prayers to everyone concerned - especially to a member of our family on here.)

According to the local lies - ooops! sorry, newspaper, Bohol and parts of Luzon got it real bad. Of course, with no power, I have not been able to see TV reports.

I hope and pray that everyone who flew over here at the weekend had safe flights and landings.

I notice that Gloria did not cancel her US trip to personally survey the damage and loss of life!!!

Nice to be back - a la prochaine!

hi alan and hanna i like dumaguete ..i been to valencia to ..hope p.i is still in tack