PDA

View Full Version : Uk Residency Help

paul
10th April 2003, 00:46
Hi everyone!

Im a Uk resident and will be traveling back to manila next month to meet my long term fiancee. From there we plan to marry in her home town of Naga. Thats the part we are looking forward to! The next part we plan to apply for Uk residency for my wife.

Can anyone give us any advice or storys about their experiance getting necessary visas for Uk residancy. How hard is it? Or are we worrying about nothing?

We kept lots of documents, photographs, letters and Conversation logs, and i got all my financial statements to produce.

Is there any other things we should need in order to keep embassy pleased?

Any help welcome

Thanks

paul
::)

Admin
19th May 2003, 13:50
Here's a copy of a reply I sent to someone recently. I will add that all you have done with the documents helps the case considerably, and I don't see any problems, apart from some of the weird charges Filipino officials seem to put on things. :-/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
You asked if a national of Philippines would require a visa to settle in the United Kingdom.

YES - prior entry clearance is required before coming to settle in the UK. The following forms should be completed to form the application: IM2A - to be completed by all applicants; IM2B - application for settlement; IM2D - confirmation of the right of abode / certificate of entitlement to the right of abode / persons applying for an entry clearance because of United Kingdom ancestry (if applicable); IM2E - if the applicant has been refused entry clearance or leave to enter the UK before. For more information, consult the information leaflet INF4.

Please note that applications for settlement must be made in the country where the applicant is normally and legally resident.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

All information can be found at http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

My own advice would be to write to each other at least once or twice a week, and you can use this as documental proof of your relationship. Emails are no use. It is also in your favour considerably if you actually have met before applying for the Visa, and one thing that makes the application go through with success is if your actually at the British Embassy in the Philippines when your girlfriend applies for it, or better still be engaged. Their is no need to marry in the Philippines as this doesn't actually make it any easier.

On arrival in the UK she'll probably be given leave to stay for either 6/12 months, before having to re-apply again, but your usually required to marry within that period, although an extension will be granted in unusual circumstances. Once your married you then have to register the marriage with the Philippine Embassy, and the Immigration in the UK. They then give her leave to stay for 1 year. After that she applies for continuous leave to stay here, and that's it. After 3-5 years she can then claim for a British passport.

The more documents of your relationship you both have when applying for the initial application in the Philippines is in your favour.

Hope this helps. I know it's a little messy, but the government have made it harder & more complicated over the last 5 years, but you shouldn't have any trouble unless she's a niece to Bin Laden or something :-)

Regards,

Keith & Ping @ www.filipinouk.com

ginapeterb
12th September 2004, 10:56
Update on Settlement of Philippine Nationals in UK as Fiancee or Spouse.

Please note that the right of abode on Marrriage to a UK Resident is no longer valid, the British Nationality Act of 1996 now states that "Marriage to a UK Resident does not entitle that person to right of abode in the United Kingdom" new rules do apply and anyone comtemplating marriage to a Philippine National in the Philippines should take this advice very seriously.

Every Philippine National who wishes to travel to the United Kingdom to either

(a) be the Fiancee or Fiance of a Uk Resident.

(B) settle with their Husband or Wife who is a UK Resident.

Certain admission criteria now is in force regarding entry clearance being granted.

Please go to the section on:

"Are you a Fiancee/spouse of a UK National"

In the Citizenship Visa section of this Forum.