PDA

View Full Version : balikbayan visa

Ecxy
29th June 2006, 16:06
hello everyone
im so thankful of this forum as it help a lots..and once again im here trying to ask some help..about this balikbayan visa..my husband and i just got married and for us to aply for this visa what are some procedure we must comply upon entering the country here Philippines..he is now in Hongkong and waiting for me for i have still have some things to arrange here. for the moment..basically marriage contract are needed for us to appy or do we need to have it certified true photocopy or is it the embassy need to retain copies..are there any requirements for us to comply aside from that..anyone who knows this and have idea please help..and thank you to all..more power..Mabuhay

grahamw48
30th June 2006, 00:10
It was my understanding that you and your husband's flight had to originate in
the UK, not a '3rd country' as in Hongkong, even if ultimately you do enter the Philippines together (which you will need to do)...unless the rules have changed.

Original marriage certificate along with both of your passports should be enough to show immigration when entering.

walesrob
30th June 2006, 06:52
It was my understanding that you and your husband's flight had to originate in
the UK, not a '3rd country' as in Hongkong, even if ultimately you do enter the Philippines together

Incorrect. When Elsa and I arrived at NAIA last November, I showed Immigration both our passports, I automatically was given a 1 year visa, and we had both arrived from Hong Kong. So theres no truth about "flight had to originate in the UK", and anyway, how can the PI immigration check that information, when UK citizens don't get an exit (or entry) stamp on their passports when leaving (or returning) to/from the UK??!:Erm:

Ecxy
30th June 2006, 13:03
thank you for the soon reply, so we need to go back together form Hongkong here in PhILIPPINES..shows the marriage contract to Immigration and my husband could have the one year visa..right?
is there no problem if im still here and Ill will be there soon in Hk but we go back together for that visa?
did the Embassy or Immegration wont retain or get the copy of our marriage contract?
or is there other way aside from this that my husbaand could get a one year visa?
please help
thank.

walesrob
30th June 2006, 13:39
thank you for the soon reply, so we need to go back together form Hongkong here in PhILIPPINES..shows the marriage contract to Immigration and my husband could have the one year visa..right?
is there no problem if im still here and Ill will be there soon in Hk but we go back together for that visa?
did the Embassy or Immegration wont retain or get the copy of our marriage contract?
or is there other way aside from this that my husbaand could get a one year visa?
please help
thank.

I would present the marraige certificate to the Immigration in case they ask for it, but for sure BOTH of you will have to be at Immigration desk together. I've heard that most NAIA immigration officers don't ask to see the marraige contract, but its better to err on the side of caution!

When Elsa and I arrived in Manila last year, there were no problems at NAIA immigration, but that was because Elsa had her passport in my surname, so it was clear to the officer that we were married.

There is no need for you and Gary to fly from Hong Kong - it could be anywhere - Singapore, Malaysia, although its possibly cheaper to take the Hong Kong option.
Pete, can you confirm what I have said is correct? :confused:

Ecxy
30th June 2006, 15:09
again thak you for the soon reply, but one thing my passport still on my surname when im single didnt yet change as it still dont expire and we just married..do the immegration wont question us when we arrive..or the marriage contrct is enough for us to show and my husband could get that one year visa?

grahamw48
30th June 2006, 23:24
Incorrect. When Elsa and I arrived at NAIA last November, I showed Immigration both our passports, I automatically was given a 1 year visa, and we had both arrived from Hong Kong. So theres no truth about "flight had to originate in the UK", and anyway, how can the PI immigration check that information, when UK citizens don't get an exit (or entry) stamp on their passports when leaving (or returning) to/from the UK??!:Erm:

They just need to check your airticket.
I wasn't saying it was anything definate.

Anyway, sorry I spoke.

I won't do so again.

Eljohno
30th June 2006, 23:40

Anyway, sorry I spoke.

I won't do so again.
Graham do not take what Rob said so personally as he was not having a go at you. Its good that you gave your view on it and even if its not correct not to worry it was still good to hear your thoughts on the subject

walesrob
1st July 2006, 05:07

Anyway, sorry I spoke.

I won't do so again.

Sorry Graham, didn't mean to upset you.

Feel free to kick my **** next time your in Wales :Brick:

ivor&mel
1st July 2006, 07:39
Be careful, Rob - or you'll have to ban youself :D

KeithD
1st July 2006, 09:47
Be careful, Rob - or you'll have to ban youself :D

:icon_lol: :Rasp:

Ecxy
2nd July 2006, 11:01
Good day to all

getting a balikbayan visa for one year shows that we are married of course we have our mariage certificate, is it ok or do i need to change my passport surname to a married one, as it ontracgwas still on my previous when i was still single and it snot yet expire.. or is it enought that our marriga contract to show the immigration and that my husband can avial that one year balikbayan visa?
any comment are welcome
thank and more power.:cwm38:

walesrob
2nd July 2006, 11:59
This info. from Philippine Embassy London, but applies to all countries:

WAIVER OF VISA FOR A MAXIMUM STAY ONE (1) YEAR UNDER THE NEW BALIKBAYAN PRIVILEGES

Upon representation of the Department of Foreign Affairs, the Department of Tourism adopted a liberal interpretation of the Balikbayan Law to benefit all the balikbayans.

No visa shall be required, as a privilege, for a maximum stay of one (1) year for the following, everytime they enter the country to visit regardless of the frequency of their travel: former Filipino citizens (specifically Filipinos who have been naturalized British or Irish citizens) and their families.

The traveller has to declare before the Philippine Immigration Officer at the port of entry that he/she is availing of said privilege and has to present his/her current British or Irish passport plus any of the following documents:

1. Cancelled Philippine passport or birth certificate
2. Naturalization papers to show former Philippine citizenship; or Certification from adopted country

This privilege is extended as well to families of Filipino citizens (i.e. foreign spouse and minor unmarried children) provided:

* That the latter are not required entry visas under existing regulations; and
* That they are travelling together with the Balikbayan spouse to the Philippines

The family members should present at the Philippine port of entry the following:

1. Valid passport
2. Marriage certificate in case of the spouse
3. Birth certificates in the case of minor children; or
4. Adoption papers in the case of adopted children

Source: http://www.philemb.org.uk/visa.html

Ecxy, there is no mention of a requirement to show married name on passport, so you can use your existing passport showing your maiden name, just make sure you and Gary have that marraige certificate with you.

Hope this clears things up..:)

Ecxy
10th July 2006, 13:44
is it ok..when my husband already there in Hongkong..and ill be just come after..i finish here some work..and will come together..here in Philippines..for he must get a i year balikbayan vida to stay here..what else do we need to show to immigration..aside from marriage contract and passport..pls help..:confused:

walesrob
11th July 2006, 13:03
we need to show to immigration..aside from marriage contract and passport..pls help..:confused:

Ecxy, thats all you need to show, nothing else. Gary will get his 1 year Balibayan visa, as long as you tell the immigration officer at Manila airport you are together and want to use the 1 year visa for your Gary.

Ecxy
12th July 2006, 12:51
Ecxy, thats all you need to show, nothing else. Gary will get his 1 year Balibayan visa, as long as you tell the immigration officer at Manila airport you are together and want to use the 1 year visa for your Gary.

thank you so much walesrob..i owe you...:) :) :)

ivor&mel
12th July 2006, 13:18
Rob's pulled! :xxparty-smiley-050:

KeithD
12th July 2006, 21:45
Dolly will be upset......