PDA

View Full Version : Been to Hell and back, now we are in heaven

russ01539
27th June 2006, 15:39
I and my fiance Wena applied back in September 05. We had read your site for months,took solicitors advise, followed all the rules set out by immigration made up our application with every bit of documentation and more. We thought we had it cracked, no interview (I believe according to the ECM that Wena was the first ever person to go thru the application without an interview). We were told no interview needed cos the documentation was so thorough, and guess what ?

WE WERE TOLD OUR APPLICATION WAS REFUSED ON THE GROUNDS THAT THEY BELIEVED I COULD NOT SUPPORT MY FIANCE WITH USE OF PUBLIC FUNDS. LOL

I laugh because sat in my bank account was well over 35K, my business is value on asset value alone at 135k, my mortgage is fully paid up, and other accounts i have combined a total savings of 7k on top of everything.

We approached our rather surprised solicitor, who promptly sent off the appeal forms and asked for an immediate review of the case, asking the ECO to explain just how much finance was required to live without public funds for over 2 years !

We waited..........and waited........(sent a shed load of e-mails and letters to the embassy), and 3 days AFTER the date given for the embassy to send documentation in supporting their reasons to the court in Liverpool we were told they had made a mistake, and issued Wena her visa. Making her wait a further 2 weeks whilst they held her passport at the embassy, and only released it with visa after my solicitor made a rather strong call to the embassy.

Well, Wena is here now, and is settling and getting used to life here in the UK. So I guess the wait was just a minor inconvenience, when compared to the rest of our lives being spent together, and will no doubt be looked back on as an adventure (once my red mist has cleared). We are getting married on 19th August and Kendal Registry Office and then just a 24 month wait till its permanent. Cant wait till then, but now being together is all we ever wanted. I just hope no one else ever has to go thru the hell we did with such a sound application. In view we should be able to sue the embassy for being downright unprofessional, and not knowing the their job in the first place. It seems to me they only know the grounds for refusal, but need to work on understanding the documentation they so painstakingly ask you for !

Maybe someone else has a view on this ? It would be nice to hear it.

Russ & Wena

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 17:06
You obviously have too much in the bank. I'd be glad to take some of the load off you if you like :rolleyes:

As has been said here many times, the ECOs have no sense of reality or commonsense, and operate to their own rules and whims; getting any sort of visa can be a lottery. Stuff them - you have the visa and Wena is here; you have what you wanted, and suing them would be a lengthy (and expensive?) hassle, and change nothing for you or any future applicants?

You're together now, so enjoy it. And good luck to you both :)

Ivor and Mel

ervenescence
27th June 2006, 17:11
If only we could give them a slap for messing you about, kick their ass and punch their head til they realise of how dumb they are.:Brick:

But anyway, its good to hear that your fiancee has granted the visa finally and that shes here with you now. So congratulations and best wishes for the wedding, its gonna be a big celebration despite the long wait and the hassles.:Beer:

walesrob
27th June 2006, 17:27
Congraulations Russ on getting your lady to the UK, we love to hear stories of success on this forum.:)

I know what your saying about the Embassy losing touch with reality, etc, but as I'm sure other members will agree when I say that, in the end, it will all be worth it, and you'll look back to this time in years to come and laugh about it all - I certainly laugh about how I stood and waited, and waited in the hot sunshine outside the British Embassy Manila, for 6 hours during Elsa's interview and how the Embassy emailed Elsa in the wrong name :cwm23: later. Then I could tell you about the CFO...

fontain
27th June 2006, 17:42
Congratulations mate,

We are just starting down the road with the embassy/visa shenanigans and trying for a tourist one first as our circumstances are a little different.

I`m just hoping we get lucky

Well good luck !

mrsfrivolity
27th June 2006, 19:21
Hello Russ and Wena! We've all gone through the nerve-wracking experience similar to yours but for most couples, at least in this forum, a light was seen at the end of the tunnel :Hellooo: In my experience, the problem didn't even come from the Embassy itself but the agency that is handling the first stage of the application which is CAVA. Are they still in operation?

Someday, I will tell the story of my visa application. It will rival any espionage novel on a bestseller's list!

russ01539
27th June 2006, 19:49
Yes Miss Friviolity, CAVA do still exist, and did an excellent job the first time round, when they cam to collect Wena's application from her house. Unfortunately the return experience was not so good. We found out it was CAVA who was holding Wena's passport and visa. It took 2 weeks to get them to eturn it to us.

But thanks for your post, and everyone else's view. As I said I was mad at the time, but like you all say it's 'water under the bridge' now.

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 20:00
"With effect from Monday, 23 January 2006, ALL visa applications to the British Embassy Manila will now be processed by TT Services Philippines Inc.. All applications have to be made using UKVACS."

Mel and I got caught inbetween CAVA and UKVACS! Didn't help speed up the process! :)

ginapeterb
27th June 2006, 20:00
Congraulations Russ on getting your lady to the UK, we love to hear stories of success on this forum.:)

I know what your saying about the Embassy losing touch with reality, etc, but as I'm sure other members will agree when I say that, in the end, it will all be worth it, and you'll look back to this time in years to come and laugh about it all - I certainly laugh about how I stood and waited, and waited in the hot sunshine outside the British Embassy Manila, for 6 hours during Elsa's interview and how the Embassy emailed Elsa in the wrong name :cwm23: later. Then I could tell you about the CFO...

You could always tell em about your pal at the Embassy Rob

Jacquie Lewin

russ01539
27th June 2006, 20:04
I notice after some time that some members are 'Junior', some are 'Senior' some Moderate and I am not sure what others are. Who decides on Member status ? Under what criteria ? And what is the benefit of being a senior member as opposed to a mere Junior newbie like moi ? Not that I am bothered at all, its a cool forum, and I am so happy to be able to share experiences with all you folk.

walesrob
27th June 2006, 20:05
You could always tell em about your pal at the Embassy Rob

Jacquie Lewin

Hehe, what was even funnier was that when Elsa's visa was granted, they emailed her in the name of Miss Bluff, and it was signed Mr Lewin :icon_lol: Elsa laughed at that one when she found out that the Lewin character was in fact female :cwm34:

walesrob
27th June 2006, 20:07
I notice after some time that some members are 'Junior', some are 'Senior' some Moderate and I am not sure what others are. Who decides on Member status ? Under what criteria ? And what is the benefit of being a senior member as opposed to a mere Junior newbie like moi ? Not that I am bothered at all, its a cool forum, and I am so happy to be able to share experiences with all you folk.

I think it based on number of postings each member makes. Unless Keith knows the secret codes :cwm24:

russ01539
27th June 2006, 20:40
So I have another 437 posts before I make it to 'MODERATOR'. lol Well strictly speaking 436 after this one.

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 20:48
Moderator is in the gift of the gods, I believe. Known to all as Keith :D

From what I've found, the trigger points for a level change are 50 and 100 posts... No idea after that!

ginapeterb
27th June 2006, 20:55
So I have another 437 posts before I make it to 'MODERATOR'. lol Well strictly speaking 436 after this one.

Hi Russ, their is no Moderator level, basically, what normally happens, is that Keith invites ones to become a Moderator, Senior Members like Ivor and John, are normally ones who are full time contributors, I term these members as "Anchor members" they are always there and you can rely on them.

Being a Mod if you want to be one, basically involves keeping an eye on the spirit of the forum, just to ensure that we dont get flaming spirals, or undesirable trolls.

Apart from that, there is little to it.

Hope that helps.

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 21:07
Oh... so you called me an anchor, Pete... I must have misheard :D

KeithD
28th June 2006, 09:17
their ass and punch their head til they realise of how dumb they are.:Brick:

:icon_eek: Some times you frighen me :bigcry: :icon_lol:

KeithD
28th June 2006, 09:19
I haven't properly setup the Usergroups yet, still considering what to do :)

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 18:50
And what about the Reputation scale? Seems there are only 3 reputable members here :D

KeithD
28th June 2006, 19:14
That'd cos you lot ain't done anything to earn them yet :) You get them off other people...or lose them :D

ervenescence
28th June 2006, 19:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervenescencekick
their ass and punch their head til they realise of how dumb they are.:Brick:

:icon_eek: Some times you frighen me :bigcry: :icon_lol:

LOLS.. I used to do kick boxing and martial arts when I was a teenage. It was my obsession since I had that freakin stalker who really pissed me off.

KeithD
28th June 2006, 19:46
.....since I had that freakin stalker who really pissed me off.

Never worked then.....I'm back :cwm24:

russ01539
11th July 2006, 21:39
In typical filipino fashion we celebrated becoming a 'Member' down the pub last Friday. Any exuse for a beer. lol

Maybe one day when I am 101 I will become a Senior Member. lol

ivor&mel
11th July 2006, 21:58
It's only 100, Russ - nearly there :) But don't be in a hurry to be a Mod - Keith's a hard taskmaster :D

KeithD
12th July 2006, 09:46
:action-smiley-075: :xxaction-smiley-047 :butthead: :Sex: :laugher:

russ01539
12th July 2006, 22:41
You definately have alzheimers Ivor, I've read at least 4 of your posts, and each time you claim to be 101. You know 100 doesnt really sound much younger than 101 so I dont think there is reason to lie about your age, and looking at your pic I wish I looked as young as you if I ever get that old.

KeithD
13th July 2006, 10:34
Please leave Ivor alone.....

...the doctors are doing all they can :D