PDA

View Full Version : Where in Manila could i watch the World cup in a pub/bar

Matt
25th June 2006, 00:58
Hi to all,
I coming to Manila on the 3rd of July, and before the ned of the world cup, i still have a glimmer of hope that England will win it, but what ever happens i still would love to watch it and not miss many games. As the compitition does nto wind up until the 10th of July i will be watching it in Manila. Does anyone here know of any ex pat bars and pubs that might show the world cup on a large screen, like they do in the UK. I know football is not a very big sport there, but i am sure there must be some places. I would be very grateful for any ideas of places to go. Oh one more thing i will be around the Makati area and Malate. Thanks in advance

Matt

ivor&mel
25th June 2006, 08:42
Matt,

You could always try a Google if you have time: just found this list (http://www.bworld.com.ph/Weekender060906/main.php?id=goingout1.php) of possibilities.

Ivor and Mel

Eljohno
25th June 2006, 11:21
If you are staying in a hotel or pension house and it is a good one then they will have cable and look out for a chanel called "star sports" which is run by ESPN as they will i am sure be showing all the games. I do not think you will have any problems getting to watch it but for the 8pm games you will have to get up at 3am-4am. When Liverpool were playing in the Champions League Final i was staying with friends so i just booked a hotel for one night to see the game which of course was soooo worth it

mrsfrivolity
26th June 2006, 10:28
Apparently, Mandarin Oriental Hotel (http://www.clickthecity.com/tv_article.asp?p=1145) is showing the games live but if you want to do sun and sea at the same time, there's a great pub in Subic that will definitely have it, wide screen and all! Harley's Bar in Baloy Beach and it's great! It's worth visiting even if you're not a football fan.

ginapeterb
26th June 2006, 12:44
Apparently, Mandarin Oriental Hotel (http://www.clickthecity.com/tv_article.asp?p=1145) is showing the games live but if you want to do sun and sea at the same time, there's a great pub in Subic that will definitely have it, wide screen and all! Harley's Bar in Baloy Beach and it's great! It's worth visiting even if you're not a football fan.

Yes my sources tell me the Mandarin Oriental are showing them live !,
you will have to check in there.

Matt
26th June 2006, 22:00
Thank you to everyone for all the advice on where i can continue to watch the world cup whilst in Manila. I have printed this page out and will take it with me. I must say a big thank you to Ivor and Mel for the terrific link they posted too. I have also printed that page. Here's to England going all the way, though they really do need to pull there socks up from now on. Thanks again. Matt

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 08:57
Don't try and get them to pull their socks up - they have enough problems with the simple things like passing to a team-mate :D

Anyway, all the best with your trip Matt. Just try not to do too much breathing if you get stuck in the Manila traffic :)

Ivor and Mel