PDA

View Full Version : Qatar airways. Any good?

symonh2000
7th June 2006, 19:29
Hi everyone, I am planning another Trip to Manila at the moment for September. The best prices I can get on flights at the moment is with Qatar airways. Basically are they any good? And has anyone any experiences they wish to share.
I flew with Cathay Pacific last time and they were pretty good.

Many thanks.

ivor&mel
7th June 2006, 20:36
Hi everyone, I am planning another Trip to Manila at the moment for September. The best prices I can get on flights at the moment is with Qatar airways. Basically are they any good? And has anyone any experiences they wish to share.

Many thanks.

Mel and I flew with them at the end of March (Cebu-Manchester) and I think John used them in April. The flights were pretty good, as good as Singapore in my experience. The only caveat is that you will have to change planes at Doha, and the airport is still small and "under construction". However, if you only have an hour or 2 between flights, the time will soon pass. And if you have a long wait (more than 5 hours?) QA will whisk you off to a hotel room, I believe. Have a Google for people's opinions on QA; that's what I did a year or so ago, and I was really impressed by the comments. The only thing I didn't like was the timing of their flights: ours was 3am from Cebu... stopped at Singapore as well as Doha... and was a late evening arrival into Manchester. But the in-flight experience was as good as any I have been on.

Ivor and Mel

pot
8th June 2006, 14:26
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(symonh2000 &#064; Jun 7 2006, 07&#58;29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Many thanks.
[/b][/quote]
Are they any good, well the planes only chash the once style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif ok hahaha I booked them in jan 06 and wish to god i spent £40.00 more and gone by singsing airlines, you dont get the service on them fight&#39;s, I had a 5 hour stop over in Daha, total crap hole, complete sea of white, the power of bold automatic goes a long way over there heheheheh dont do it.

walesrob
8th June 2006, 19:27
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pot_pot &#064; Jun 8 2006, 02&#58;26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Are they any good, well the planes only chash the once style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif ok hahaha I booked them in jan 06 and wish to god i spent £40.00 more and gone by singsing airlines, you dont get the service on them fight&#39;s, I had a 5 hour stop over in Daha, total crap hole, complete sea of white, the power of bold automatic goes a long way over there heheheheh dont do it.
[/b][/quote]

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif What are you on?

Qatar is on a par with Emirates, only downside is that awful Doha airport.

ivor&mel
8th June 2006, 20:13
If you want some recent opinions of QA, have a look here (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/qatar.htm)

baboyako
8th June 2006, 21:56
Doha airport has to be a contender for the filthiest place on earth competition. Too many people for such a small airport. There are little or no facilities, and no staff to help. Because of the lack of toilet facilities (there were huge queues,) people had urinated and vomited in corners on the floor, and this had not been cleaned. Hundreds of people were sleeping on floors due to a lack of seating.

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review168737.html

I am only ever going to Doha once - and I&#39;ve already been. Its not worth the 100quid or so saving. That said the planes themselves are fine.

Eljohno
8th June 2006, 22:08
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; Jun 8 2006, 09&#58;56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Doha airport has to be a contender for the filthiest place on earth competition. Too many people for such a small airport. There are little or no facilities, and no staff to help. Because of the lack of toilet facilities (there were huge queues,) people had urinated and vomited in corners on the floor, and this had not been cleaned. Hundreds of people were sleeping on floors due to a lack of seating.

I am only ever going to Doha once - and I&#39;ve already been. Its not worth the 100quid or so saving. That said the planes themselves are fine.
[/b][/quote]

I went through Doha last April and i agree for sure about the seating as there was about 3 people for every seat available. It worked out better on the return leg as we thought we were going to have to stay in the airport for 15 hours but Qatar put us in a hotel and it turned out very well in the end.

For me i will pay the extra amount and fly with Singapore Airlines as their airport is amazing....

ivor&mel
8th June 2006, 22:35
I went through Doha last April and i agree for sure about the seating as there was about 3 people for every seat available. It worked out better on the return leg as we thought we were going to have to stay in the airport for 15 hours but Qatar put us in a hotel and it turned out very well in the end.
For me i will pay the extra amount and fly with Singapore Airlines as their airport is amazing....

Changi is in a class of its own. It's the one airport that I never mind waiting at. They even have a Nature Trail now I believe? Maybe Doha will be as good one day :)

ginapeterb
9th June 2006, 08:57
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; Jun 8 2006, 09&#58;56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Stop moaning...about Qatar Airways, at the end of the day, everyones perception of the service they got is dependant on many circumstances, i.e. cabin crews shift changes, supplies, food, and many other factors, so ones man trip is great, anothers is a bad experience, I could have written some of these comments, about most of the airlines that travel out to Manila, Cathay Pacific has had its moments, so has Singapore Airlines, so has Gulf, and Emirates, at the end of the day, its a competitive market for low cost air travel, when you are buying cut price economy tickets, sometimes you have to take the rough with the smooth, Qatar airways is no different in what it offers to any other of the 4 or 5 carriers that go that way, Doha airport may be a bit on the poor side, but in years to come, it will be probably a world class one, the Gulf States have done pretty well in getting their act together over the years, on the whole, you get what you pay for, as far as travelling out to Manila is concerned, you just want to get out there safely, and get from A To B, the airlines all have the same mission, to get you to your destination, and I think they can all say, they do that.

If you want real service, then opt for around £1500.00 and go Gulf Air Business Class, there isnt a better service in the world, having tried it 2 xmas&#39;s ago, I thought it was the experience of a life time, at the moment its about another £700.00 to get it, then you will see what service is.

Apart from that, Qatar is as good as any other, the aircraft are modern, and my wife had no complaints about her trip, they also, put my wife in a 1st class hotel overnight, in between her connection to London, and a courier came to the hotel to collect her, and a taxi took her back to the airport, in Economy I would say that is good service.

baboyako
9th June 2006, 20:50
I fly a lot with work so have been to a lot of airports.

Doha was a real shock (the stuff about half an inch of &#39;water&#39; on the toilet floor was true). As I said the plane itself was fine (even if delayed 2hrs)

ivor&mel
9th June 2006, 21:52
I fly a lot with work so have been to a lot of airports.

Doha was a real shock (the stuff about half an inch of 'water' on the toilet floor was true). As I said the plane itself was fine (even if delayed 2hrs)
I suppose the positive way of looking at it is that it can't be any worse next time :) The whole country looks to be "under construction" but I still have a strange fondness for QA. They are gaining a good reputation despite Doha.

tim34
10th June 2006, 00:28
Hi,

In my opinion you cannot beat Cathay, and i certainly wouldnt go Doah way. Fly to Hong Kong, if you are adventurous you can do it so easily without long stays.

Fly out of Heathrow at 12.45pm arrive in Hong Kong at 7.30am the following morning. Wait in Hong Kong untill 9.10am when flight leaves for Manila and arrive at 11.10am, no need to mess with baggage as you are in transit at Hong Kong, to my mind the hassle free clean and less tiring way

Cheers,

Tim

symonh2000
14th June 2006, 19:10
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim &#064; Jun 10 2006, 12&#58;28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi,

In my opinion you cannot beat Cathay, and i certainly wouldnt go Doah way. Fly to Hong Kong, if you are adventurous you can do it so easily without long stays.

Fly out of Heathrow at 12.45pm arrive in Hong Kong at 7.30am the following morning. Wait in Hong Kong untill 9.10am when flight leaves for Manila and arrive at 11.10am, no need to mess with baggage as you are in transit at Hong Kong, to my mind the hassle free clean and less tiring way

Cheers,

Tim
[/b][/quote]

I was considering Cathay again, but the flight I wish to take is listed at £830 odd, while Qatar was listed at £480. Having said that I might pay the extra and go Singapore airlines which was £534.. i will have to see what the prices are when I come to book. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ivor&mel
14th June 2006, 19:48
I was considering Cathay again, but the flight I wish to take is listed at £830 odd, while Qatar was listed at £480. Having said that I might pay the extra and go Singapore airlines which was £534.. i will have to see what the prices are when I come to book. :)Unless cash is extremely tight, I'd go for SA in that case: the difference in price is not great. Just make sure you get a return ticket if you fly with SA :)

Eljohno
14th June 2006, 20:57
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Jun 14 2006, 07&#58;48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Unless cash is extremely tight, I&#39;d go for SA in that case: the difference in price is not great. Just make sure you get a return ticket if you fly with SA style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

I have to agree with Ivor and go with Singapore for the sake of £50. I would only use Qatar if the difference in price was huge.

It is always good to check what the time difference is between flights.

It is worth going via Singapore Airlines to see how great their Airport is...

ivor&mel
14th June 2006, 21:19
It is worth going via Singapore Airlines to see how great their Airport is...
Yeah, if you've never been to Changi before, that's one more reason for choosing SA. I like HK for the beautiful setting, and the airport is excellent. But Changi is something else! Right now, I wish I was there for 4 weeks, sat in those comfy chairs, watching the WC on those big screens!

Admin
14th June 2006, 22:06
My mates flew out the Philippines today for £496. Only £16 more than it cost me to go to Singapore style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

Make sure you book a 777 if you use SIA, you get there over an hour quicker style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ivor&mel
14th June 2006, 22:09
When are the A380s coming in to service?

Admin
14th June 2006, 23:28
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Jun 14 2006, 10&#58;09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
When are the A380s coming in to service?
[/b][/quote]

2007 If they don&#39;t get the weight & wiring sorted in the next 6 months style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif

walesrob
15th June 2006, 07:05
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 14 2006, 11&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
2007 If they don&#39;t get the weight & wiring sorted in the next 6 months style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif
[/b][/quote]

SIA will get theirs as scheduled at the end of this year, but Qantas and others will have to wait 6 more months. It&#39;s not looking too good for Airbus - I&#39;ll bet there will be a lot of angry airline bosses out there.

Admin
15th June 2006, 08:22
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; Jun 15 2006, 07&#58;05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
SIA will get theirs as scheduled at the end of this year, but Qantas and others will have to wait 6 more months. It&#39;s not looking too good for Airbus - I&#39;ll bet there will be a lot of angry airline bosses out there.
[/b][/quote]

Same thing happened with the first 747&#39;s, nothing new in business......and a few of them fell out the sky in the first few years style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

walesrob
15th June 2006, 11:08
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 15 2006, 08&#58;22 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Same thing happened with the first 747&#39;s, nothing new in business......and a few of them fell out the sky in the first few years style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif
[/b][/quote]

You might like to take a look at this 747 Aborted take off (http://www.airdisaster.com/movies/) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif (click on top video of the Tradewinds 747 aborting take off).

ginapeterb
15th June 2006, 13:28
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; Jun 15 2006, 07&#58;05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Im registered with SIA to get the possibily of the 1st flight ? but i doubt whether we will hahah, but I would like to fly it at least once to say I&#39;ve been on it.

How about you Rob ?

Admin
15th June 2006, 18:03
I wish they&#39;d get broadband on the Manc-Sing route......

symonh2000
15th June 2006, 21:29
I would rather wait a while before getting on a A380, let it get a few airmiles under its wings so that all the bugs get ironed out..

Admin
16th June 2006, 08:16
Any bugs are likley to get flattened out falling from 5 miles style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

ivor&mel
16th June 2006, 08:33
What&#39;s the cuising altitude of an A380? Does it have to be higher than a 747?

Admin
16th June 2006, 09:54
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Jun 16 2006, 08&#58;33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What&#39;s the cuising altitude of an A380? Does it have to be higher than a 747?
[/b][/quote]

Probably the same, as it is harder to keep the pressure the wider the surface area. Hence fighter jets & Learjets can hit 50,000ft

baboyako
16th June 2006, 23:06
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 16 2006, 09&#58;54 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Probably the same, as it is harder to keep the pressure the wider the surface area. Hence fighter jets & Learjets can hit 50,000ft
[/b][/quote]

So that means that I wont fart so much on a A380? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

ivor&mel
17th June 2006, 08:54
Hmmm... we're getting very technical now :yikes: As long as the cabin is pressurised, frequency of flatulation should not vary too much? A different matter all round if it were not pressurised! Apparently, climbers fart uncontrollably at altitudes above 11,000 feet, a condition known as High Altitude Flatus Expulsion. Climbing Everest must be such fun :D
Oh dear... is this what a thread on Qatar Airways has degenerated into! :laugher:

walesrob
17th June 2006, 09:28
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginapeterb &#064; Jun 15 2006, 01&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Im registered with SIA to get the possibily of the 1st flight ? but i doubt whether we will hahah, but I would like to fly it at least once to say I&#39;ve been on it.

How about you Rob ?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, I&#39;d love to fly on the A380. Any indication from SIA of pricing yet?

baboyako
17th June 2006, 17:56
I always fart a lot on planes (otot mo mabahaw&#33;&#33;) style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

the cabin pressure is not the same as sea level... so when the plane descends to land (and repressurises) it squeezes the farts out style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm24.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm24.gif

I wonder what things get like on space shuttle? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

symonh2000
17th June 2006, 19:49
I thought that once at 8000 feet the cabin pressurises to the equivalent of that altitude and stays there until just before the doors open after landing. So your farting should level off at 8000 feet and stop when you land. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
I am glad I won&#39;t be sitting next to you on my next flight by the way, and at least we know why beans are rarely served on airplanes.

Admin
18th June 2006, 20:05
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; Jun 17 2006, 05&#58;56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I wonder what things get like on space shuttle? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif
[/b][/quote]

They just open the windows style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm24.gif

ivor&mel
19th June 2006, 11:54
Looks like it's going to be some time before the A380 gets going according to the Beeb (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5093940.stm). Boeing must be loving this :)

baboyako
23rd June 2006, 22:59
I might be eating my words soon..

looking for a flight at the end of next month & quatar keeps coming out much cheaper... slumming it in doha aint so bad (i keep telling myself)

ivor&mel
24th June 2006, 07:40
How long would you have to wait at Doha? And you'd be doing a service to the forum by giving us an update on the current state of the airport :D

Anyway, all airports have faults, they just have different ones. Except for Changi, of course :)

walesrob
24th June 2006, 09:37
Anyway, all airports have faults, they just have different ones.
True, there is an airport worse than Doha, and thats Tacloban airport. Its a giant cattle shed next to the runway. Whats funny is that when you check in baggage, they throw it behind them onto the tarmac, then some guy picks it up onto a trolley to loaded onto a cart for loading onto the plane. Whats even weirder is that Tacloban Airport has no pushback vehicles - the aircraft has to literally do a forward turn, the wings almost scraping the terminal building on the way :Rasp:

symonh2000
24th June 2006, 21:57
Well in the end I decided to go for Singapore airlines. Otherwise I would have been stuck at Doha for 5 hours. I think I made a good choice by the looks of things.
Thanks for all your help guys.

ivor&mel
24th June 2006, 22:06
Well in the end I decided to go for Singapore airlines. Otherwise I would have been stuck at Doha for 5 hours. I think I made a good choice by the looks of things.
Thanks for all your help guys.
SIA are still my preferred carrier. And if you have to spend time at Changi, you'll feel it's not long enough! Enjoy the flight... and the rest :D

Eljohno
24th June 2006, 22:11
Singapore has free internet and football on the big screen also. I got bored after 5 mins in Doha but Singapore kept me busy for hours...

ivor&mel
24th June 2006, 22:27
Free cinema too... And a Nature Trail! Comfy chairs... And other delights if you want to pay for them. And not forgetting a great Indian restaurant!

Eljohno
24th June 2006, 22:47
I have heard that they have a swimming pool on the roof also!!!!!

symonh2000
25th June 2006, 20:01
It almost makes me wish my stay at Changi will be longer than 3 hours... Still I am sure I will have plenty to do once I get to Manila... ;)

KeithD
26th June 2006, 09:27
Don't forget the cigs on the way back. 80p a pack :yikes:

Eljohno
26th June 2006, 23:56
I would love to stay in Singapore for a few days on the way over to the Philippines for my next trip as it sounds great...

KeithD
27th June 2006, 08:44
Well worth stopping over for 3 days, just make sure you stay on Orchard Road.

We went with 15kg, came back with 55kg :yikes: Bloody Singapore sale had started.....can't complain though, got my dad a new shaver, £60.....Argos £190 :NoNo:

New portable printer, £150, over here £220 :NoNo:

The savings must have paid for the hotel. You must haggle though, even in the big department stores, always ask for a discount. You don't always get, but if you don't ask.....:)

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 09:17
Mel still wants to haggle in all the shops over here :) Must admit, I'm useless at it though... :D

KeithD
27th June 2006, 09:56
I usually just stand there and and stare at them....the longer you wait, the more uncomfortable they get, they lower the price :icon_lol:

fontain
27th June 2006, 10:20
Yeah, Singapore rocks when the sales are on, I always come back with more than I went with.

But heres a tip, if your there for a few days or so, get a cab to the causeway, jump on the bus over the bridge and go into Malaysia, the towns called Joha bhuru, (not sure if spelt correct) its literally just over the border, theirs a big mall there and things are half the price of singapore.

Plus they sell moody DVDs, although if they catch you with them on the way back they destroy them !

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 21:03
If anyone wants to fill in a Customer Satisfaction survey about Doha airport, you can do it here (http://www.skytraxsurveys.com/Airports/DOH.htm)

walesrob
27th June 2006, 21:18
If anyone wants to fill in a Customer Satisfaction survey about Doha airport, you can do it here (http://www.skytraxsurveys.com/Airports/DOH.htm)

Good find Ivor, I'm sure Doha will do well :D

russ01539
27th June 2006, 21:32
Fly Lufthansa. Its usually about 600 quid three months in advance booking, the service is typically German, and so long as you and your asawa can put up with 22 hours of cheese and ham sandwiches and strange smelly looking sausages, you'll get there crash free and on time to the minute. I must be getting acclimatised though by now cos the HAFE syndrome only kicked in after the 3rd ham and cheese based food product i was fed.

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 21:39
Good find Ivor, I'm sure Doha will do well :D
All my answers seemed to be on the right-hand side for some reason :) I'd love to see the results, though! Can you find them on the site? I can't... Guess they are not keen to publish them :)

walesrob
27th June 2006, 22:20
All my answers seemed to be on the right-hand side for some reason :) I'd love to see the results, though! Can you find them on the site? I can't... Guess they are not keen to publish them :)

I've written a few reviews of airlines and airports for Skytrax, but only half of them get published, not sure how they run the whole thing, but its still an interesting read. Doha get some bad reviews - can't think why ;)

Eljohno
27th June 2006, 22:37
Doha = noha, Singapore all the way!!!!:cwm34:

baboyako
27th June 2006, 22:54
Doha = noha, Singapore all the way!!!!:cwm34:

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Eljohno
28th June 2006, 08:47
Why the tears? Have you to fly through Doha soon?