PDA

View Full Version : Your distinguished advice please

fontain
6th June 2006, 14:42
Good afternoon ladies & gents,
Comestas !

I`m after some advice as to what to do concerning my g/f coming to the UK.
Our situation is little bit different to norm and after finally finding this site (which looks the best by the way) and seeing the problems that people have faced getting visa's I want to make sure we apply for the right one and get it right first time.

I can't believe the prejudice some of you have faced from representatives of our own so called ' people' at the british embassy.
I thought things would be simple for an English guy to have his g/f visit/live with him, but after reading up on it I am truely amazed.

I wish everyone thats applying good luck and all those that were successful lots and lots of happiness.

Right, let me explain our situation and then if any of you can offer any help or advice that would be much appreciated.

FYI up until a month ago I had never even envisaged the situation I`m in now.... well ok here go's.....

I was visiting my brother in Feb this year who had recently gone to live & work in Singapore , whilst there I met my g/f.

We just literally bumped into each other one evening in the complex where my brother lives and spent a considerable amount of time with each other.
Upon my return, we agreed to keep in touch and in fact were calling each other everyday(of which I have the phone bills to prove it), plus numerous texts, emails etc etc

Although we were both cautious at first we realised that we were really falling for each other in a big way, so I arranged another trip to Singapore midway through May for 10 days, so we could spend that time together exclusively and to see whether we ended up killing each other.

Well we are both still alive and that trip just confirmed what we already knew.

I`m a UK national, I`m not dependant on any benefits and have a clean financial record.
I earn a good wage and privately rent my own (3 bed) accommodation.
I have no previous marriages or children and neither does she.
My g/f is a Filipino national but has been living and working in Singapore for the last 10 years.
I`m 27 she's 31

She has a good education, an advanced knowledge of the English language and is used to living in a metropolitan city and its way of life.
She is currently working as a live in nanny/domestic helper and is legally entitled to be living and working in Singapore.

She is returning home on the 4th of July as her contract is ending and she can spend some time with her family. We have decided that ultimately she will come here and live with me rather than return to Singapore.

I live and work in London (I`m a London boy born and bred) and its just not possible or viable for me to go and live/work in Singapore.
Plus in Singapore there is still a level of discrimination towards people from the surrounding Islands as I am sure some of you are aware.

Now my g/f understands that regardless of what Visa she applies for she will not be able to work straight away but I am able and willing to support her until such a time that she can.
While she is not working we agreed that she will study something to improve her chances of getting a good job once she is legally able to work.

I have spent the last two weeks researching the different types of Visa and would like your advice as to what option you think is best

Obviously the unmarried partner one is not valid because we do not meet that criteria.

The fiancée one sounds like a good option and the one most of you lot recommend but to be fair I cant see us getting married within the first six months ( I`d rather do things properly than rush it just for a quick visa fix)
And also we have history but not for very long, and after reading previous posts it would probably not be long enought to satisfy the mini hitlers at the embassy.

Which leaves a Tourist visa, which I understand is for six months only and then she will have to return home.
This is not a problem as we agreed that after a few months, assuming things are going well, we will fly to her home town together, meet the gang etc etc and then look at applying for a fiancee visa.

This would also give her a chance to see London, and for us to prepare everything together for when we eventually apply for the Fiancee visa.

So do you think we have a good chance of getting a tourist visa?

My g/f has assets (some land and property) and has also paid off her filipino pension already.
She has some savings also.

And she has spent the last 10 years working abroad anyway.

As mentioned above my situation is good and I am more than willing to act as her sponser.

From what I gather, the biggest stumbling block for tourist visas is the need to prove that the applicant has a reason to return home, would the above be sufficient??

I have a couple more questions and might as well squeeze them in here...

If she gets a tourist visa, is it possible for us to change it to a Fiancée visa at the end of the six months or will she have to return home and apply again?

And finally what's the average time scale for applications?.
Both settlement and non-settlement

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Its my first time on here and so much stuff I have already read now seems so relevant.

Basically, we just want to spend some quality time together and she really doesn't wanna be stuck in the philippines for too long.

I know this is a long post to start with but I figure that the more unbiased information and experience anyone is able to offer me will only benefit us and ensure that we get things right first time.

Thanks in advance

JB

ginapeterb
6th June 2006, 19:00
Your Customer Ivor ??

Admin
6th June 2006, 19:31
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

HI JB,

You should have posted 4 weeks ago, we were in Singapore till a couple of weeks ago. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

If you want my advice, as I met my wife in Singapore, I&#39;d get your g/f to see if she can extend her contract 12 months, it just makes the visa process soooooooooooo much easier, as the British Embassy in Singapore, are so helpful. We had no problems, nor did anyone else we know who came from there.

If she does go back, then only option worth trying is a fiancee visa.

You seem to say you want it now&#39;ish.....you don&#39;t. technology means you are never out of touch, and you will need to visit he in the Phil, and get plenty of proof of your visit to keep the embassy happy. Do that first, then plan the next step.

Just enjoy it, red tape is only there to annoy you style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

mupsuit
6th June 2006, 21:13
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fontain &#064; Jun 6 2006, 02&#58;42 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

I&#96;m after some advice as to what to do concerning my g/f coming to the UK.

I was visiting Singapore , whilst there I met my g/f.

JB
[/b][/quote]

Hello JB and welcome

I like the "whilst" - I think this is first time I have seen it on this site &#33;&#33;

I&#39;d just like to add a comment, but as a pre-amble, there is nothing wrong with the Fiance Visa route

but I would like to suggest that you make your plans to marry in PI and then apply for a Spouse Visa and to bring your bride to the UK

One aspect of this route is that, as your wife, she can work here from day 1 without any additional permission - a great boost to your family savings plan should you aspire to own a home of your own

My main reason for this suggestion is that you are going to bring her 6000 miles away from family and friends - So at least marry her in her home town = give her the wedding of the year = the family will appreciate your effort and will have something to look back on when they think of their daughter/sister/friend in the UK

Whatever you decide, we wish you luck, and will offer suggestions and advice when you post

Admin
6th June 2006, 21:18
...or you could just do the local town hall....and then go for a Chinese takeaway.....cost <£100 style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

ivor&mel
6th June 2006, 21:55
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginapeterb &#064; Jun 6 2006, 07&#58;00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Your Customer Ivor ??
[/b][/quote]
Cheers, Pete style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

Well, JB, Keith&#39;s already posted some useful advice style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif The thing is, no matter how much you want it (and we&#39;ve all been there&#33;), there&#39;s no short-cut to getting your lady here. Basically, you need time and evidence on your side, and that means "knowing each other" for a minimum of a year if, as you say, you "want to make sure we apply for the right one and get it right first time". And you also say "I&#96;d rather do things properly than rush it just for a quick visa fix". That&#39;s the approach that is necessary when dealing with the beloved ECOs in Manila. You&#39;re thinking on the right lines, so stay on track; and you&#39;re already collecting evidence, which, if you read other threads on the Forum, is paramount. Start accumulating your pay slips, bank statements etc., as you&#39;re going to need at least 6 months&#39; worth as part of the evidence.

A Tourist Visa sounds an excellent option... like "try-before-you-buy"... but, unfortunately, the Embassy won&#39;t view it that way style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif Applying for a Tourist Visa at the moment is probably 100% guaranteed failure - you&#39;ve only known her for 4 months? And you say that if you got a Tourist Visa, you would then go to Phil to meet her family and get engaged? So why not cut out the idea of the Tourist Visa, and use the money to fund a couple of trips to her place over the next 9-12 months? That would be a more conventional and acceptable method as far as the Embassy is concerned, I think? Of course, if she was to stay at home and not return to Singapore, and be out of work, you would be expected to provide regular "financial support" to her as part of your commitment; but that does not cost a fortune - cheaper than supporting her in London for 6 months style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

What I&#39;m trying to say is take your time and work towards a Fiancee Visa&#33; You can go see her as much as possible during the coming months, and it&#39;s all adding to evidence of commitment and building of a genuine relationship. If she&#39;s concerned about what life is like in the UK (all Mel&#39;s friends told her that England was full of vampires&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif ) then I&#39;m sure some of the Filipinas on the Forum would be happy to chat to her about it on Yahoo or whatever - or even on the phone now we know how to get the cheapest rates style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif If you want to make sure of getting it right first time, your best bet is to wait and apply for a Fiancee (or even Spouse) Visa. But, be aware that a Fiancee Visa is a bit of a misnomer: in reality, it&#39;s a Marriage Visa - leave of entry granted in order for a marriage to take place in the UK. But more about that when you&#39;ve weighed up the options and decided what your course of action will be style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Ivor and Mel

fontain
7th June 2006, 17:33
Evening all,

Thanks for your prompt replies.

I&#96;ve been under the cosh today, i&#39;ve managed to read them all but no chance to reflect or add any more yet.

I&#39;m taking them with me tonight to read again (& again) so no doubt you will be hearing from me 2morrow.

Once again, cheers guys, I really appreciate the help.

fontain
9th June 2006, 17:05
Hello again to you all,

Right, i&#96;ve had a chance to ponder the first round of answers, have a little think and here I am.
It wasnt really the news I wanted to hear but i&#96;m realist and its better to carry on with my eyes wide open than adopt the ostrich route.

I appreciate all that has been said about the fiancee visa, that its the &#39;one&#39;, and is the best option to go for with the best chance of success but with the key factor being that we should really have at least a years worth of history b4 going for it.
Hence this is not really an option for us at the mo.

Also noted comments about applying in Singapore, which may be an option if all else fails in PI
But lets cross that bridge if it comes to it

Also duely noted comments about waiting for that year to pass etc etc

But the truth is thats hard to take, its bad enough as it is already.
I&#96;ve never had a relationship like that before and neither has she and frankly the prospect of just seing each other twice in the next 8 months is not good.
Maybe if the relationship had started long distance, or we had a bit of previous experience like that, but its hard to take when things started face 2 face and we really thought it would just be a formality for her to come here.
Plus i&#96;ve already spanked this years holidays allocation and dont have many days left.

I&#96;m not genna tell her the general consensus just yet coz she is down enough about going home as it is.
Yes, she wants to see her mum, but after living in Sing for so long she really doesnt wanna be in the PI (see learning already) for too long.
She is very independant and had lots of freedom from her employers and is used to the city life in Sing so after two weeks or so in PI I know she will be going crazy.
(without her coffee shops and digital tv and not meeting the girls for drinks)

You see, her life has been in Sing for so long that that is where all her friends are, that is where she considers home.
The main reason she decided to go home after her contract ended was because we thought that she could come here without much bother (we were naive, i know this now) and also because being the little sweet heart that she is she didnt want to get a new job and accept a new contract knowing that she would be leaving shortly afterwards. (bless her)

Its messy I know.
But we honestly had no idea of the problems we are now facing.

So i&#39;d just like someone to clarify something for me

If we apply for a tourist visa and its refused will this have any bearing on a future fianceé visa or even an application from another country, i.e. Singapore?

For the sake of the 50 quid its genna cost i&#96;m thinking its worth a try, its just dependant on whether it affects future applications or not.

If thats the case then its worth a try whether we get bumped or not.

Answers on a postcard please

Oh and enjoy the world cup boys.... come on England
I&#96;m sure you guys from the other home nations will be giving us your support style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

Admin
10th June 2006, 08:51
Regard your holiday allocation, I know a number of people who have been in the same situation. Speak with the boss, and arrange for overtime to be given as holiday time, and arrange an extra visit around a bank holiday.

I dated my girl in Singapore long distance for 2 years, and made 7 visits of 3 weeks each during that time., and she had no internet access unlike most people today.

People get into all kinds of problems with visa applications because they try to rush things. I bet you&#39;re in daily contact with your g/f, so the only thing you can&#39;t do is touch. Easy enough to handle, as you weren&#39;t doing it with her a year ago.

Enjoy the courting, send her those cute &#39;love&#39; cards.....have flowers/cakes/etc delivered. You probably won;t get to do it again, so make the most of it. It&#39;s fun. Look at it as a positive learning process for both of you.

If we apply for a tourist visa and its refused will this have any bearing on a future fianceé visa or even an application from another country?

It&#39;ll be a black mark on the records, so any discrepancy on the fiancee visa, you&#39;ll have no flexibilty, but basically no. Other countries, definite NO.

However, the burden of proof with a tourist visa is you have to prove 100% that she will return, this is seldom possible, and almost impossible to do, and is the basis in which the majority are denied.

fontain
12th June 2006, 18:45
Thanks for the swift response,

Deep down I know what your saying is right,

The distance is bearable if we want it bad enough and its all part of the adventure.
To be fair, I think I could handle it, i&#96;ve got everything I want here (well except one thing) whereas its a little bit different for her, especially as shes now going home to the PI.

What i&#96;m thinking is this then, as she is going home soon and for how cheap it is to try, we might as well have a shot at a tourist visa.

By what i&#96;ve read so far I gather your a gambling man and i&#96;m partial to the odd punt myself so for the sake of the 50/85 quid i&#96;m willing to back it (even if the odds are &#036;hit) as the rewards would far outway the outlay.

The key being that a rejection now has NO bearing on any future apps and as this appears to be the case then for the cost of an average night out for me i&#96;m game.

If it isnt sucessful and she really cant stand it back in the PI, then I will suggest that she uses her contacts in Sing to get some more work out there. Which should be fairly easy to arrange considering her experience and references.

That way at least she is back in Sing with her friends and the way of life she enjoys plus my little bro is still out there and ultimately when the time is right for a fiancee visa and we apply again we can do it through the Sing embassy rather than Manila.

Or maybe just hijack a plan, land at stanstead, and get us a nice three bed house courtesy of the tax payer (me anyway) &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm23.gif

baboyako
12th June 2006, 22:32
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fontain &#064; Jun 12 2006, 06&#58;45 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Or maybe just hijack a plan, land at stanstead, and get us a nice three bed house courtesy of the tax payer (me anyway) &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm23.gif
[/b][/quote]

make sure you book her extended family on the plane first&#33; that way they can all get free housing courtesy of Mr A Taxpayer. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

ivor&mel
13th June 2006, 09:10
Just come across some UK visa application stats (http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/GlobalStats2005,0.pdf) for 2004/2005. If I&#39;m reading this correctly, Manila are claiming they refuse 26.5% of Settlement applications... and only 15.9% of Visitor applications style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif Does this make sense? Or is it a case of lies, damn lies, and government statistics?

Ivor and Mel

fontain
13th June 2006, 09:28
I found those stats yesterday too, was just trying to compare the volume and success rate through manila against Sing.

So they reckon for 2004-05 they passed 77.5% of non settlement
Compared to Sing who passed 92.1% of non settlement

I&#96;m sure some creative accountings involved (well it is the government) but to quote the great Mr Derek Trotter, "he who dares Rodney, he who dares"

ivor&mel
13th June 2006, 09:48
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fontain &#064; Jun 13 2006, 09&#58;28 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>I&#96;m sure some creative accountings involved (well it is the government) but to quote the great Mr Derek Trotter, "he who dares Rodney, he who dares"
[/b][/quote]Last time I saw Del he&#39;d changed his name and gone over to the other side: become a copper - be careful style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

ivor&mel
17th June 2006, 12:51
JB,

Just something that might encourage you if you&#39;re still considering proceeding with the Visitor Visa. Mel and I bumped into a Filipina and her bf here this morning, and she is here as a Visitor (been here one week). He told me they had no problems at all getting the visa, and was surprised when I registered a little astonishment... The only hassle they had was that UK Imigration gave him a grilling on the phone just before she arrived in Manchester style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif. What I&#39;ve learned about their situation so far is that he is still married (divorce pending), she is from Davao, has 2 kids in Phil, and they met while she was working in Bahrain but she returned to live in Davao again.

Maybe even ECOs have a streak of humanity style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Ivor and Mel

ginapeterb
18th June 2006, 08:11
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; Jun 17 2006, 12&#58;51 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
JB,

Just something that might encourage you if you&#39;re still considering proceeding with the Visitor Visa. Mel and I bumped into a Filipina and her bf here this morning, and she is here as a Visitor (been here one week). He told me they had no problems at all getting the visa, and was surprised when I registered a little astonishment... The only hassle they had was that UK Imigration gave him a grilling on the phone just before she arrived in Manchester style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif. What I&#39;ve learned about their situation so far is that he is still married (divorce pending), she is from Davao, has 2 kids in Phil, and they met while she was working in Bahrain but she returned to live in Davao again.

Maybe even ECOs have a streak of humanity style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Ivor and Mel
[/b][/quote]

Its good to hear that Ivor, that some do get a tourist visa to come and visit, the problem is, the drop out rate on application is very high, but its nice to find ones nocking around the various towns who have managed to get through the process, so thats every encouraging, we always advise that a tourist visa is a waste of time, maybe we should be saying, a tourist visa is ok, but there is a higher chance of refusal, but go head and try, its worth it.

Thanks for that Ivor.

Admin
18th June 2006, 20:03
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginapeterb &#064; Jun 18 2006, 08&#58;11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Its good to hear that Ivor, that some do get a tourist visa to come and visit, the problem is, the drop out rate on application is very high, but its nice to find ones nocking around the various towns who have managed to get through the process, so thats every encouraging, we always advise that a tourist visa is a waste of time, maybe we should be saying, a tourist visa is ok, but there is a higher chance of refusal, but go head and try, its worth it.

Thanks for that Ivor.
[/b][/quote]

Must be all this crap info we keep giving out style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm24.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

fontain
19th June 2006, 10:05
Hello and good morning guys and girls,

Yes we are genna give it a try, my little bros just been here for 10 days (world cup) so I&#96;ve just given him all the paperwork to take back and give to her.

That way I know it will get there safely and in one piece.

2 copies of everything and anything relating to me, plus 2 blank apps and also a test application completed by me so she can use that for reference while filling in the real one.
A checklist and just some general info sheets too.

All in nice individual plastic folders and topped off in a lovely yellow plastic wallet, which should all add to making a good impression. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif
The beauty of the office stationary department &#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Plus birthday card & gift (cheaper than DHL)

So all she needs to provide is her paperwork relating to her.

Also her ex employers in Singapore are willing to provide her with a formal offer of employment for when she returns (in theory), for example 2/3 months after application date, so along with her assets in the PI and my situation and this offer of employment in Singapore for when she theoretically returns hopefully we just might get lucky.

I have a quick question though,

Savings, any ideas if their is minimum limit they expect someone to have?
Or is it just the more the better.
As mentioned previously she has some, but I could always buff them up if you think it might help.

Well my bro should arrive back 2day and she can pick up the p/work later on, then she&#39;s off home in just over two weeks. Another week or two to acclimatise and get her things in order then she is genna apply.
However, she has some American friends in sing who are genna sit down with her and go over the application too before she leaves for the PI.

So hopefully all the paperwork will be 200% correct by the time she touches down in Manila plus I have written a covering letter briefly outlining the circumstances and included my contact details should they wish to contact me.

Also we have also established that within the last three years she applied for and successfully received a tourist visa to Australia (so yet further evidence that she has previously visited a commonwealth country as a tourist and has exited as required)

So all in all I think we have a good case to put to them and I just hope that we get someone who is fair and just to make the decision.
If not then, I&#96;m coming to Manila all guns blazing &#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm23.gif

I will keep you posted though party people &#33;