PDA

View Full Version : To Trust Or Not To Trust? (That Is My Question!)

IanB
16th May 2008, 15:44
I hope you can give this a sympathetic hearing and let me know what you think.

I have been in touch with Mae since last August. We talk on the phone every second night. We text every day. We speak on web cam once a week. She is a lovely lady and I enjoy chatting to her. We are planning to meet up in Thailand this August for a three week holiday. Following that, hopefully marriage and she can come to England.

My problem is that I still feel unable to completely trust her. Before I explain why, I want to say that in my view if she is “scamming” me then that is bad luck for me and very sad (and might have cost me a few hundred pounds). But if she is straight and I wrongly give up on her, then I am throwing away a chance of happiness and I would be severely hurting a woman who doesn’t deserve it. Therefore my instinct is to give her the benefit of any doubt.

Why should I trust her? She is a sweet lady and we have talked for hours. She is continually saying how much she loves me. I think I really understand how much she is dreaming of meeting me in Thailand and eventually marrying me. She counts down the days until we meet in Thailand. She talks of happy days in the future when we will hold hands and go shopping. She wants to greet me with a coffee and massage my shoulders every night. For heaven’s sake, she even dreams of doing my laundry! She has a quiet life – she is not working and has no money to go out other than a few trips with her neighbour. She does not have many friends, and she is not in regular contact with her family. I detect some bad things have happened in her past. She was married, and her husband left her for another woman within a week or two of their marriage.

Why should I not trust her? First of all, it is obviously a good thing to be very very careful of people you meet over the internet until you know them well. She has not been completely straight with me in the past – mainly about her being married (although she never actually said she wasn’t married). I think in the early weeks of our relationship her cousin was helping her with emails and told her not to tell me about the marriage. Clearly it was then hard to know how or when to tell me. Secondly, she gave up her job before Christmas, in agreement with me. Since then I have been supporting her (15,000 pesos per month). When she gave up her job (which was neither very nice nor very safe(but she was not a bar girl)) she said she would try to find work in the new year. In the new year she quickly decided it was impossible to find new work – and I am not convinced she tried hard. On the other hand, I know that it is very hard in Angeles City to find decent work unless you are a graduate or prepared to work in a bar. A few other things have rung small alarm bells. I’m sorry, but I also worry about how good her colloquial English is. She used to never answer my phone calls first time. Now I call her at various times of the day and she always answers after the first or second time.

Last night we discussed getting her annulment. She has found a lawyer who has quoted a good price and who she likes. I will soon have some spare cash and so I intend to get the annulment moving. I suggested that I would not like her to walk around AC with several hundred pounds of cash in her pocket. I suggested I could wire the money direct to the lawyer. She did not protest loudly, but she suggested there was no need to do that – her neighbour would take her direct to the lawyer, and she was worried that the lawyer might think I do not trust Mae. We agreed to discuss it later.

My deepest fear is that somewhere there is a boyfriend pulling the strings, but I have absolutely no evidence for that. If this is the case, she is a very very good liar, incredibly good. Who else would invent the story about dreaming of doing my laundry?!!!

My gut feel is to press on with the annulment now and then make a thorough decision when we meet in August. However, a more cautious approach would be to wait until after we have met before progressing the annulment.

Another thing we have discussed is buying her a pc so we can talk on webcam at any time.

The least pleasant solution that I have thought of is to get someone in Angeles City to check her out – but how could I find someone I trusted. I would not want to think that someone might blackmail her. And it seems a really nasty way for me to behave.

Thanks for reading this far. What do you think? If you are going to respond by saying “drop her now” you are welcome to do so, but I will ignore it as that is not my style!

Ian

Sim11UK
16th May 2008, 16:34
I remember reading your posts before, but can't remember whether you have met each other?
Don't wait till August, just get out there, as soon as you can. You're only prolonging your agony. Quite likely, you have nothing to worry about.
I'm not so sure, sending her money, was such a good idea, so early on.
I'm going to meet my ladyfriend next month, for the first time & I made the decision, not to send her money. I don't see the point. Admittedly, I've sent her load for her phone, but that is just so it's easier to keep in touch.
I don't mean this harshly, but stop dithering & go and sort it out...It's the only way. :)

joebloggs
16th May 2008, 16:46
:Erm:

time and distance creates many problems..a big one trust.. you both meet each other for a few weeks of the year and have a great time. then you both part and go back to your own little world :cwm24: knowing it will be many months b4 you see each other again, you soon get back to your 'normal' life and routine. i did this for 3 years before i finally got the misses here..

who knows if she scamming/using you.only her, does she often ask you for large amounts of money?

IainBusby
16th May 2008, 17:17
I get the impession that you have never actually met this girl and if so, sending money is not a good idea. Besides, P15,000 is much more than the average wage in Phils, no wonder it looks like shes not interested in finding a job, as shes got no chance of finding one that pays as much as just being your gf.

I definately wouldn't consider sending more money to start an annulment process before you go there. If she is as nice as you believe and she is not scamming you, when you eventually go there to meet her, then you can accompany her to the lawyers office and find out how much money needs to be paid and when.

The annulment process is a long and expensive one with several payment stages and in my experience, if you pay too much up front to a lawyer, he'll just sit on it till you become impatient and then ask for more money to get things moving again.

Iain.

marylen
16th May 2008, 17:50
ye i agree.....real hard for you to trust at this point of time..(understandable on your part) don't rush into things that you are not so sure yet it ends up you in a big trouble....make things slowly a bit..enjoy getting to know each other without money involves at first just try to test if how long she will go on chatting with... she even tells you lies with regards to her status, shes making moves to get all your attention at first and make you believe with so many promises that turns you on.....And yes you are almost on your way of believing her...I wonder why she never tells you the real fact that shes actually committed and married... maybe theres a lot more things behind on her back ..you never know yet...........a lot more things happen and thats what you gonna find out. Why don't you ask if she has a kids as well? Really really a lot more things for you to find out espcecially on the case that shes totally and legally married.....you start to know lil by lil and weigh things up more before you trusted her in a big part....(woried if you will be more attach to her and that later on you founded something fishy) that hurts you more ..............

Anyway ...with regards to the annulment....it takes a long process yeah and a big cash involv, what i can advice maybe is....don't just file one yet, know her more...weigh things up more before jumping in a long que. Get to know her more first............in the right time you will know if she deserves your love and attention....money is nothing if that girl is deserving enough........your first step is to meet her in person and get to know her more, spend quality time with each.....and later on if you both feel attracted and inlove with each..yes thats the time you have to decide to take into a bigger step in filling annulment for you both to be more comfortable in facing the next chapter with no doubts.............and that everything will fall into place...after then you can decide in your own if she deserves to be trusted especially with the money involves(only time can tell).....for now just enjoy yourself getting to know each other more and more..............better especially in person....

oh...yea 15,000 is quite big enough for a man to send esp if havent seen in real yet..no wonder why she doesnt feel like to work instead........well anyway this is just my piece of cents..................don't take it seriously as yours better than mine.....(its all up to you) follow your instinct....

ginapeterb
16th May 2008, 19:15
Hello Ian once again,

I remember that you told us some time ago about your freindship with Mae, I remember you mentioned about your previous 2 marriages to Thai women, and that both have ended in Divorce, (or your 2nd marriage was about to end in a divorce proceeding).

I for one am not going to suggest you drop Mae, the reason for this is simple, you are in fact emotionally involved with her, and its true to say you are also probably in love with her, and even though you have not met her, being in love long distance comes very easily in any situation, that is not just between Foreigners and Filipinos but any couple where distance is between them.

With those thoughts in mind, you have told us that you find it hard to trust Mae, its not unusual to have those feelings, however, I must say in my experience, those ones who air those feelings publicly rarely end up progressing their relationship to the point of marriage and then living together.

Its the old saying "If something does not seem kosha, then normally it isnt, if you have suspicions about Mae's behaviour, then very often those suspicions are triggered by events that lead you to have those thoughts."

Going back to your sending money in the amount of P15,000 per month, that is also not unusual in itself, I am guilty of very much the same in 2003, I sent Miss Gina P30,000 to go on a trip to Manila, I had not been courting her for very long, about 3 months, however, I suppose the generous side of many of us would have done similar if the circumstances presented itself.

As Ian Busby has told you, there is very little incentive for Mae to look for a job in Angeles, if you are supporting her financially to the tune of P15,000 a month, that is probably double the average monthly salary for a graduate, and therfore, she is probably truthful in telling you that she could not find a job that pays that amount.

But sending her P15,000 is not really the major issue, no doubt you can afford to send her £200.00 a month without too much issue on your budget, and I know money is not the issue for you.

What is the issue is your suspicions, and the deeper they become the worse it will get.

What causes your suspicions ? you talk about once every 2 days, you text every day, and talk on webcam, you have to ask yourself, what is it that is it that Mae is doing that leads you to beleive that her conduct is not honest and honourable.

Those of us who have Girlfriends, fiancee's or Wife, do not post items of this nature on the forum, nor have we ever had those suspicions about our partners, this is not meant as a dig at your situation, what it does prove is that the mere fact you are posting this type of case, shows there is some degree of distrust.

Having someone in the Philippines such as a detective agency follow Mae and delve into her background is a non starter, since if you have to resort to that sort of action you might as well throw the towel in straight away, those who do this especially in Thailand always find out, the truth was clear to them if only they had checked out the tell tale signs, before spending their hard earned money to tell them what they already knew.

The red flag for me would have been the total lack of honesty about her being married, although she never said that she was married, any self respecting Filipina who is seeking a foreign boyfriend, would have been perfectly honest from the start, for one who is married under Philippine law, this represents aggravation all round for the foreigner suitor.

A second point is this, remembering the David Scott case, if this lady Mae is married, you might need to be careful about your involvement with her, its good that you are meeting her outside of the Philippines, where Filipino family code has no jurisdiction, the last thing you would want is for the husband to file a charge against you and she at the local police station, I would not wish you to have to end up in a stinking dirty Filipino hell hole pig cage.

With regards to the anulment, I would advise you as Ian Busby has done and one or two others, not to proceed with such an anulment, for one thing, what for ? why do you need to send money for an anulment at this stage ? its not your problem is it ? and you have not met Mae as yet, you are only to her an online lalaki, when you have met, and spent time together, you might decide then, if marriage is on the cards, if its not, and you decide it was not what you thought, then you have not wasted any of your hard earned money.

As for her comments to you, whispering sweet nothings, such as holding hands and going shopping, doing your laundry etc, I would take that a bit tongue in cheek if I were you, bola at the start of the Western-Filipino relationship is all very nice, and good fun, but when the real life begins, and these girls wise up after a year in UK, they soon don't love doing your laundry, holding hands shopping, the only time they hold your hand is when they are rushing into a designer shop to releive you of some of your hard earned money, forgive me for LOL, but dreaming of washing your boxer shorts and laying out your y fronts on the bed for you in the morning is not the job of the Filipino wife residing in UK, its more for the maid in the Philippines.

"She will soon not dream of doing your laundry trust me !"

As for your fear there is a boyfriend pulling the strings, what makes you think that ? thats a weird statement to make, since you have no evidence of this, its not uncommon actually, but one way or another they often get found out, I think you should stick with the advice, to go to the Philippines and first establish that she is married, one way you could do this, is ask her to obtain a coyp of the NSO Marriage contract when you arrive, then when you see sight of it, you can visit the lawyer with her, and find out the total cost yourself, and as for you sending the money to her, and a neighbour taking her to the lawyer, is a red flag, this indicates to me, she is being influenced by someone who has spun her a story that they can fix it all for her for a fee.

Remember, people in the Philippines are poor, they will come up with the most amazing ways of fixing things for people, invariably they have little influence, and project themselves in their own importance, the only person who suffers is you, when you are relieved of your hard earned money.

And why is their a need for you to cough up for a PC and webcam at home, restrain yourself, she can go to internet cafe, there are hundreds of them in Angeles city, she doesnt need to spend that sort of money, and in any event, thats not your job as yet.

My advice to you Ian, is to adopt a cautious approach, do a wait and see ! time is on your side, are you in a rush to settle this, you are meeting up with her in Thailand in August, proceed as planned, find out first if you actually like being with her, if so, you need to get into Philippines with her, find out the situation for yourself, and then make an informed judgement, that is not to say, that it might all turn sour anyway, but at least you can make the decisions based on the facts placed before you, and not feel rushed into making snap decisions.

Hope it goes well for you mate, Mae seems nice, but then again, I always say, you don't really get to know them until after you are living together as man and wife in a house, and by then, you married in haste, you can repent at leisure.

IanB
16th May 2008, 19:56
Thanks for the advice so far. Keep it coming folks.

If something does not seem kosha, then normally it isnt

I know for a fact that that statement is wrong! I know people who have felt their partner was not straight and she actually was. The fact is that sometimes things don't seem kosher but they are. sometimes things seem kosher but they aren't.

As for Mae being dishonest about being married - someone told her to do it. A few weeks later she plucked up the courage to tell me and fully expected me to dump her, as 90% of men problably would have done.

On the anullment, yes, I will wait a bit. But I have looked into it in great detail. We will not be paying all of the money up front. The lawyer is saying all the right things and being very honest as far as I can tell.

My previous marriage breakdowns were nothing to do with dishonesty or cheating. Just one of those things (or two). I really feel that Mae and I will be great together. But I am not blindly in love - just trying to be very very careful.

As for 15,000 pesetas. Her room rent is 4,000 and bills right now are pretty high, as you all know. She used to share bills with her cousin who went down to Manila to get a job.

All in all I feel I should not panic, just wait. However, I am in no hurry to rush out to the Philippines. Thailand in August will do nicely!

ginapeterb
16th May 2008, 21:13
Ian I get the general impression from your reply about my comments as above, that you are going to go full steam ahead with your quest regardless of what people think.

The fact of the matter is, you asked for other peoples opinions by putting your story on the net in public view of the whole world, then when given advice on the situation, you simply rebuttle the comments made, and give a counter view.

You have told us, you find it hard to trust your girlfriend, what are you actually looking for ?

You are now defending the actions of your girlfriend in being dishonest with you about her marital status, but there is no need to defend her to me or any one else here at this forum.

The fact of the matter is, you gave a rather long overview of your relationship with her, you then went on to seek responses from other members about what they thought, you also made it clear that if anyone told you to dump her, you would not listen.

Then in that case, what is your premise, what do you hope to achieve, if you are trolling here at this forum to create controversy because you are somehow bored at home tonight, and wish to take pleasure in rebuttling comments that I have made or others, it will become clear in the short term, and some of us here may decide not to bother replying.

You said my comments are wrong, and that you know this for a fact, there is little point in your generalizing, my statement is a fair one, if something does not seem right, then very often it is not, but then again, not in all cases, I think my opinion is very clear, you have then said you know it to be wrong.

Maybe in your experience it is, I am not generalizing, but only summizing, based on the story you have written.

You are the one who seems to have doubts, in fact if you read my post carefully I have sought to support you and lend a listening ear, whilst trying to offer you sound advice to continue and give the lady the benefit of the doubt, until such times as you have any evidence to the contrary.

But please, if you don't wish to receive contra opinons to yours, then don't post a story regarding your personal relationships on the forum, I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Sim11UK
16th May 2008, 22:07
IanB you seem to have a problem with trust, full stop!
Why are you going to meet your girlfriend in Thailand? Surely, it would be much better to meet her, where she lives in the Philippines.
Meeting in Thailand, is going to leave you with even more anxieties, in the long run, as you wont get a feel of how & where she lives, the people she hangs out with, etc. etc...Doing this, may give you the answers you are looking for?
The only real way to find out, is to stop procrastinating & get out there!

Good luck!

marylen
17th May 2008, 01:41
hope you won't get offended NOR feel bad on what others point of view, they are just giving based on what you have written above. You are asking here for some thoughts, and we tried to help you weigh things up more....nobody not wants you to be together NOR to continue your relationship with Mae....generally we are just giving a clue and steps on how to clear up some things that you aren't sure as it seems you having a hard time and for all we thought that you need more clarification in everything but it seems not although you are the only one who can find out more but yea those words above mention helps you to determine and for you to decide what is best or not,,,whatever changes and circumstances arise its all down to you ,we are just giving the bright side ahead but not forcing you to believe us nor to follow what others advices in here... Who are we to dictate you what to do? We're nothing but just trying to help you weigh things and that if you are willing and accept whatever the thoughts and opinions of others, don't expect to always have a positive comments regarding to that matter as based on what you have said it seems something sounds fishy in there...........well again...........whatever others say...its only you who can benefits after all................so whats the point anyway for us to contradict your relationship with Mae or to advice you to say NO ....what we have said above is only based on what you have said as well. I guess you don't need anyone's advice here, the more we give the more it gets complicated ....well....at least try to hear out our side and respect a bit.......(we're not forcing to do those or do that......just hear out for you to weigh up...) we may get wrong but remember we just following you based on your own thoughts) ...but if you feel you know better and can decide on your own so whats the point of posting out here?

Even the title of your post caught up the attention of others (only two options to choose with either trust or not) don't expect that all will have the same opinions/ideas etc...we have our own realization........

Peanutz
17th May 2008, 11:23
Get a ticket fly to Phil, surprised her, get the answer for all your questions. It will only take you a week to clear your doubts . If you want to continue with this relation I think it is better to clear out your doubts right away.
You should take actions right away to see clear on where you are going and what you are doing...

Sim11UK
17th May 2008, 12:52
Get a ticket fly to Phil, surprised her, get the answer for all your questions. It will only take you a week to clear your doubts . If you want to continue with this relation I think it is better to clear out your doubts right away.
You should take actions right away to see clear on where you are going and what you are doing...

Absolutely :xxgrinning--00xx3: :)

IainBusby
17th May 2008, 14:46
Ian, you still haven't made it clear whether you have actually met this girl in person or not!

If not, then you have not really developed a proper relationship with her yet and you will never know what she is really like until you do.

kimmi
17th May 2008, 18:21
Ian, you still haven't made it clear whether you have actually met this girl in person or not!

If not, then you have not really developed a proper relationship with her yet and you will never know what she is really like until you do.

He haven't met Mae personally..

and for me I think that is the best solution if he really wanted to know the truth..Go in the Philippines and meet her..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
17th May 2008, 18:23
I read, re-read, mulled over it, and after imagining a couple of scenarios about the situation I come to the same conclusion.:Erm:

There are more red flags here than on Moscow red Square on the old May Military Parade.......:NoNo:

'nuff said.....:omg:

Piamed
17th May 2008, 19:23
Plenty of red flags for sure. I too believe you should go to da Phils and find out the situation first hand!

KeithD
17th May 2008, 19:55
...and don't tell anyone...just turn up....

Banana
18th May 2008, 07:29
I always look forward to IanB's latest angst and romantic turmoil. He has not disappointed.

For someone that has been through two Far Eastern wifes IanB would be considered an expert if he learnt from his past experiences.

Ian, whatever anybody posts on here in terms of advice to you, it will not make one blind bit of difference to what you will do. You are a serial fool. Apologies if you think "fool" is a strong term.

Mrs.JMajor
18th May 2008, 07:36
I always look forward to IanB's latest angst and romantic turmoil. He has not disappointed
Ian, whatever anybody posts on here in terms of advice to you, it will not make one blind bit of difference to what you will do. You are a serial fool. Apologies if you think "fool" is a strong term.

------------------:icon_lol: lol banana u make me laugh but.....but

:xxgrinning--00xx3: u got it------:NoNo:

:rolleyes:Ian i would say be smart enough

sweet_cookie08
18th May 2008, 08:08
hi IanB,

I read your long story.. oh, what can I say??? Sorry if I will be a blunt to you. You seems to be a "gullible" person. That's alarming! Based from your story, you haven't met the girl yet? wow! :omg::omg::omg: and you are supporting her every month with Php15,000? Lucky girl huh. I mean, why would you do that because you love her and you need to support her? but you haven't met yet right? This is clearly very alarming. And at the start of the relationship you have doubts already and don't really trust her, why would you still continue with the relationship? You are just exposing yourself to much more deeper pains. And you mentioned that she is a liar, and did not tell you that she's married and asking you to finance her annulment? :omg::omg::omg: my goodness! If there is already lies and trust issue in a relationship, why would you still continue it? There are still lots of Filipina girls around here that is trustworthy and who is not after your money. If you can, stop the relationship... or if you are ready to spend thousands of pounds and be sorry later, then its up to you .. Open your eyes and dont let your emotion fool you. :)

joebloggs
18th May 2008, 08:14
hi IanB,

I read your long story.. oh, what can I say??? Sorry if I will be a blunt to you. You seems to be a "gullible" person.

:NoNo: if he's gullible then i was :Cuckoo::Rasp::Cuckoo:, i sent a lot more than that for a lot longer, only crazy thing i did was marrying her :icon_lol:

:doh:cwm24::NoNo:

Sim11UK
18th May 2008, 08:16
Good advice sweet cookie08 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

misscarie
18th May 2008, 08:32
She was married, and her husband left her for another woman within a week or two of their marriage.

:Erm: i heard that reason many times , correct me if im wrong , they always reason out about that theyre husband left me for other girl blah blah so they can bola foreigns and let them to fall in love with you. When they get ur attention , of course the drama begin.

I Salute all the filipino women who are true to theyre love one's :xxgrinning--00xx3: im counted :D

hello mahal ko forgive me for being pasaway sometimes :icon_lol:

Mrs.JMajor
18th May 2008, 08:45
guess he wont appear on this thread,kinatay niyo na siya :CompBuster:

joke lol

misscarie
18th May 2008, 08:51
ate juliet , i hope he accept all the comments he wanted to hear in this forum :D watch out maybe bukas bibira yan :)) lol

aromulus
18th May 2008, 08:52
You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink it......:NoNo:

Yes, I do agree, take a trip overthere, but don't say anything, just appear in front of her.

I bet 5 quid she won't even recognize you....:NoNo:

Sorry about the low bet, but I don't want to take too much money out of you, with all the expenses and all.....:omg:

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Mrs.JMajor
18th May 2008, 09:04
give u some rep on that mod aromulus :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
18th May 2008, 09:08
give u some rep on that mod aromulus :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Salamat po......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
18th May 2008, 09:12
You can take a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead :Erm:

he needs to go and see her, simple as that, not everyone is a scammer,
everyone is different, i was chatting to the misses for near 3yrs b4 i went to see her,, we've been married near 6 yrs now :xxgrinning--00xx3:,

if i listened to people on here we would have never meet or got married... i understand that in many cases it will not work out for everyone on here as it has for us.. :rolleyes:,

just becuase he sent her money doesn't mean it will not work out or shes a scammer..

good luck ..

Mrs.JMajor
18th May 2008, 09:20
there is some point even he meet her,she can pretend joe 15 days isn't enough

to know the person well ,hmmm let see if this thread will end like daveuk (simon)

but your words is words of encouragement then......:)

aromulus
18th May 2008, 09:33
he needs to go and see her, simple as that, not everyone is a scammer,
just becuase he sent her money doesn't mean it will not work out or shes a scammer..

good luck ..

Yes Joe...

But the guy is doubting it himself....:omg:

Too many things don't add up in the story.

I took the risk of going back quietly, after a couple of months of meeting Jet and the reception I had from her told me everything, it wasn't a flash in the pan.
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/aromulus/?action=view&current=secondtripGotchaVideotheshock1415.flv

I know about work commitment and being in the "red" and not being able to go as often as I wanted, and support when needed, even if sometime the reason given sounded a bit outlandish....
But my wife never asked for money really. Sometime I could see from the cam that she was not happy looking and took me days to get to the bottom of what was worrying her.
The only time she asked outright was when her father had a stroke and was in Cebu Doctors hospital.
For speed, I paypalled some money to a yank friend of mine, living there at the time. He went to the hospital and gave it to her.

I am of the opinion that this guy is being taken for a mug, but good luck to him if it pans out.
Still, it is a hell of a big "allowance", no incentive at all to find a job and look genuine in his eyes....
Anulment money...???? Another story.........:omg:

misscarie
18th May 2008, 09:38
[QUOTE]if i listened to people on here we would have never meet or got married... i understand that in many cases it will not work out for everyone on here as it has for us.. :rolleyes:,

yes you're right mod joe,we experienced the same thing tho but not listening on here lol i mean when hubby and i getting to know each other 2 years ago. and now we are turning 3 years soon but we only met once :cwm34:

good luck ..

hubby send me money not meeting me at all for past 2 years :D and he never think im a scammer :D

joebloggs
18th May 2008, 09:51
But the guy is doubting it himself....:omg:

Too many things don't add up in the story.

yes i was doubting and so was the misses for years , time and distance are :NoNo::cwm24:

and many things didn't add up either, but i'm not going into that :D, you'll have to buy the book oneday, after i get to palawan and right the thing :icon_lol: or read the story in the middle of a sunday paper :D.. or maybe we'll just forget about the past :rolleyes: :xxgrinning--00xx3:,

LEAHnew
18th May 2008, 10:19
I took the risk of going back quietly, after a couple of months of meeting Jet and the reception I had from her told me everything, it wasn't a flash in the pan
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/aromulus/?action=view&current=secondtripGotchaVideotheshock1415.flv

Wow that's lovely scene Kuya Dom reminds me when the first time I met my beb:bigcry::bigcry::cwm38::xxgrinning--00xx3:

:NoNo: if he's gullible then i was :Cuckoo::Rasp::Cuckoo:, i sent a lot more than that for a lot longer, only crazy thing i did was marrying her :icon_lol:

:doh:cwm24::NoNo:

:Erm:Sounds wife not around:omg::D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

To IAnB

NOT TO TRUST that's my answer!
The reasons:Erm: It's all been said:doh

Sim11UK
18th May 2008, 10:44
At the end of the day, IanB can send as much money as he wants, it's up to him.
I just want him to go out there, for his own benefit...We all know what it's like, things go around & around in our heads, with this distance thing. I read posts on here sometimes & that gets me thinking?

If he went out there now, to see how things were, there would be no need for him, to start threads like this.

Go on do it!

P.S. Nice one Aromulus :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
18th May 2008, 13:29
:Erm:Sounds wife not around:omg::D:icon_lol::icon_lol:

yes shes still around, on the other pc :doh

Piamed
18th May 2008, 14:16
Nice clip Dom!

Terrielicious
18th May 2008, 14:17
As for 15,000 pesetas. Her room rent is 4,000 and bills right now are pretty high, as you all know.

Living in the province a large house will only be about 4000 pesos it is not that expensive renting a room in the province. When I was in Manila I rent a house in Makati Area which is a good area for 5000 pesos a month. I think you should consider what everybody is telling you here. Be more cautious. Goodluck anyway.

aromulus
18th May 2008, 14:21
Nice clip Dom!

Cheers, mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

It was worth all the cloak and dagger stuff.........:icon_lol:

I still don't know how I pulled it off, without my friends wife spilling the beans.

joroco
18th May 2008, 22:05
Ian B. Remember that you are not only going to perhaps marry this girl, you will be marrying her family too. So it is absolutely essential that you meet on her home territory and meet her family, friends etc. That way you will understand so much more about her. If something is wrong, it will soon become apparent. You will be able to deduce that from conversations with others, and you will find out if there is someone else in her life or someone else pulling the strings. Don't think it might be a wasted journey, I met my wife only six weeks after we started chatting, but I told myself that going to her home town in Bukidnon was a holiday and if things didn't work out, then it would be a great holiday adventure in any case. And of course, you won't have to travel far or long to wait if you decide to look for someone else. Take the advice Ian. Go there, don't even THINK of meeting her in Thailand.

joroco
18th May 2008, 22:15
test message

keithAngel
18th May 2008, 22:16
Cheers, mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

It was worth all the cloak and dagger stuff.........:icon_lol:

I still don't know how I pulled it off, without my friends wife spilling the beans.

Sounds painful Dom!!

Great moment and my sort of scene , :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joroco
18th May 2008, 22:26
This is my first ever message
IanB, Don't forget that if you marry this girl you will be marrying her family too. So it is absolutely essential that you meet her on her home ground. That way you will know for sure if something is wrong, either by conversations with others around her or events that take place while you are there. It will also give you a chance to understand her background and culture. If she tries to put you off that idea, then she clearly has something to hide. Don't think it might be a wasted journey. It won't. I met my wife only six weeks after we started chatting, but I told myself that if things didn't work out, then it would be a great holiday in any event. And of course, if things don't go as planned, you won't have to travel far or wait for long for someone else to come into your life. If you go without commitment at stage the trip is bound to be a success. And by the way, a filipino can easily manage on 5000 pesos per month. 4,000 is way over the top for lodgings. So take the advice Ian. Go to the Philippines, and don't even THINK of meeting in Thailand.

joroco
18th May 2008, 22:33
Sorry for the repeat messages everybody. It's going to take a bit of time to get used to this system

CaptB
18th May 2008, 22:57
The last few months ive met a few people asking for help and il just add some of the information :-

First guy i came across was asking for assistance for his fiancee who lived in Bohol but had gone to Cebu to process paperwork for her K1 visa to the U.S. and sort her passport. The issue was she had been robbed a taxi driver picked her up from pier 1 and left her with only her clothes.

First alarm bells for me is why is she travelling alone and showing a lot of Jewellery? Secondly the chances of being robbed by a taxi driver is pretty slim. So the advice i gave was to find out "which" police station she reported it to.. To cut a long story short although they had met and engaged. The guy had supported her including furnishing an apartment she was scamming big time. There were at least 3 - 4 guys supporting the same woman and there was no robbery she had sold everything including the engagement ring he bought her.

Second guy arrived a fews ago to meet the love of his life. She didnt show even after he travelled half way round the world.. she collected the money he sent no problem but wouldnt face him so who knows the truth of what she was upto.

Third guy arrived in Cebu to meet a girl.. no show at the airport, called her she was going to meet him at the hotel... an aunt showed up to find out and confess that she was a he and too ashamed to face him. Although yet again collects the $$

The point being you dont know until you go there. DONT send money is one big bit of advice. I had someone scam me last year and things run true when i said i was broke and couldnt send money.. Then every conversation revolved round $$ yet it wasnt an issue before. I would do what i did.. play broke. Cant send money, if she still keeps in touch after a month its likely things may be on the level. If she disappears or starts feeding sob stories i would be cautious. Pinays are generally shy of asking for money. With my wife her phonebill from my calls were around P4k a month because of calling me in the UK when something bad happened to me. But she never asked for one peso.

The annulment if it is all true and there is a real annulement as soon as people are aware a "kano" is involved you are likely to be fleeced for cash and the ex is likely to take a bribe to agree.

I know its hard to accept there is a high chance of this just being a scam but its very likely it is and sending money is just going to make things worse.
Like others have said here get on a plane..
Heathrow and gatwick flights are cheap enough and 2 weeks in the Philippines is cheap take a holiday!

Either way im not trying to cause offence just offering some real advice and i wish you luck.

tuft249
19th May 2008, 17:01
i wouldnt stop sending money if you are comfortable in doing so ,but maybe you could send less money.you know almost everyone wants to leave phils for a better life.you are making a difference to her life.you want to beleive the best of her .even if your girl was scaming you,given the same set of circumstances could you blame her?after spending 3weeks in phils i still dont trust my girl 100%.i met her friends that were desperate to leave phils.i never sent money @first but i have sent since returning in march.i think its very difficult to trust anyone so far away,&you are still yet to meet.good luck .

Eljohno
19th May 2008, 18:01
What is good about this site and the like of Pete, Keith etc is when you come on asking a question you get the truth whether you want to hear it or not and many on here have saved a lot of money and pain by listening.

I am not saying that your girl cannot be trusted as i do not have all the facts and maybe some of the lack of trust might be related to your previous wives and what went wrong with those relationships. I hope things work out but one thing i will agree with is sending lots of money to someone you do not know very well is crazy. My mother in law who is in charge of a school in Mindanao does not even get that amount of money.

marylen
19th May 2008, 18:03
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr yep right.....................thumps up...........careful guys..........(lol)..my hubby started to sent me some a bit of cash when were about 4 months into relationship way back 2006, before those there is really no money involves and yet still I stick by him...

but it's not a monthly support as what some of you think of, it takes another more months before he sent another one BIG TIME.....(joke) ..not that kind of big amount as IanB....just a little bit of. Anyway .....were almost in 3 years of relationship and just got married......................have a happy ending after all the waiting game..........

So I guess IanB..you have to be careful and enjoy the process of getting to know each other instead, you lose nothing if you won't sent that much, In fact thats really a good way of testing how true her intention to you........Even I guess if you knew her well enough still its not the basis of sending her a big lot unless maybe if you have more spare cash available (no problem) So..It's your choice. We are not in the best position to dictate you to say NO...

okay...................... so very lucky she is otherwise.

Sangoma
20th May 2008, 20:36
How much distrust is based on facts, and how much on feelings?

Most people can start to wonder when things don't go as they expect, missed phone calls, not being around to chat. Most reasons for doubt are just thoughts getting out of control.

Reading through this made me think of the reasons why I did not mistrust a girl/lady I was in contact with a while back.

I knew where she lived, and identified it on Google earth. The address did get letters to her.
I knew where she worked, and again the address did exist. The company was partly in the name of a relation, who had the same family name as her. I found reference to him on the net, and with subtle questions it was obvious that it was her relation.
I had her landline and mobile number.
I knew her name and ID was as she had stated.
I knew which university she was studying at, and confirmed that she was really there.
I had phoned at all kinds of different times, spoken to her brother, seen the family on cam. The family make up coincided with numerous photos taken in different places. (and the camera data added up with answers to questions I asked)

Lots of little bits of conversation tied in with each other, and the details of her life and family life were too consistent to be fabricated.

When she said she had sent an email from an internet cafe, and not home, the IP address confirmed it.

OK, not a lot, but compare that to people who had sent me one email then asked for money, they never had a landline, wouldn't give exact addresses, gave inconsistent stories about family and friends, and generally weren't willing to answer specific questions.

To me, it is not all that likely that someone who is open with info, and has a family life that you can soon predict as if you were in the house, that their family is around when you have a cam running etc are going to be scammers.

It would be quite an achievement if they could orchestrate the whole thing, and do the same thing with more than one person, or keep a boyfriend hidden.

How much of what you have been told can you prove to be correct? How much of what you don't believe can you prove to be wrong? Would you have enough info to go to her door?

I heard a survey that said 60% of married women in the UK flirt in the workplace, and 40% have had affairs.

Looks like the chances are you are going to be better off looking elswhere.

It must be worth being careful with someone so far away, both careful you know enough about them to trust, and once you have established that, careful that nagging unfounded doubts don't lead to mistrust.

IanB
21st May 2008, 19:06
:ARsurrender:
Well, thanks for your replies. sorry I have been offline for a while. Here are some quick answers:

I value your replies and was not seeking to rebut them all - I hope all I was doing was providing more information.

I am meeting her in Thailand for personal reasons. My son is half Thai. He has not been there for a few years, and his last trip with his Mum was pretty horrible. As he is 15 I see it as our last chance to have a holiday there together. Mae will be very welcome and make it a complete and relaxing break. Plus it will be exciting for Mae to see another country.

When I sent the post I was having a little bit of doubt. I was amazed by some of the really negative responses, and pleased by some of your kind words.

As I said, I haven't got a lot to lose by meeting her in Thailand in 11 weeks time. I will let you all know how we get on. If it goes well I will visit her in the Philippines soon.

Ian

aposhark
21st May 2008, 19:44
[I took the risk of going back quietly, after a couple of months of meeting Jet and the reception I had from her told me everything, it wasn't a flash in the pan.
[/SIZE]

Excellent, very Mooooooooooooooooving :xxgrinning--00xx3::cwm38:
Well thought out conspiracy :icon_lol:

IanB
21st May 2008, 20:28
I was surprised to see so many comments saying I was sending Mae too much. Looking through other threads on this forum I found:

2. Monthly allowance for your girl - Php 10,000 to Php 30,000 or if you have deep pockets, Php 50,000 and above. This varies according to affordability.

I also seem to remember someone being told they were being a bit mean when they sent 5,000 per month. In that context, 15,000 doesn't seem too bad.

Also, looking around 4,000 per month to rent an apartment in Angeles City sounds reasonable. But I would be interested to hear other views on this.

Ian

bornatbirth
21st May 2008, 20:48
i think that u havent met each other yet! but sending money already? im surprised that you can send her that much but its going to be almost a year before you have both meet?

i know ur killing 2 birds with one trip by meeting mae at the same time as ur hoilday,if u really want to meet her why have u waited so long?

why have you got any doubts but u send her money?

if in doubt,DONT!

at the end of the day its upto you what you do?

flomike
21st May 2008, 21:23
I was surprised to see so many comments saying I was sending Mae too much. Looking through other threads on this forum I found:

I also seem to remember someone being told they were being a bit mean when they sent 5,000 per month. In that context, 15,000 doesn't seem too bad.

Also, looking around 4,000 per month to rent an apartment in Angeles City sounds reasonable. But I would be interested to hear other views on this.

Ian

My opinion is if you have a good pocket and money is not a problem to you its your right to give whatever amount you want. I can't judge you nor Mae coz I don't know both of you and I can't give advise either but one thing I can say is that your "Mae is so lucky finding someone like you whose willing to give Php 15k/month even you're both strangers with each other."

IanB
21st May 2008, 23:06
i know ur killing 2 birds with one trip by meeting mae at the same time as ur hoilday,if u really want to meet her why have u waited so long?

Strangely my boss will not let me have unlimited holidays whenever I like. Whats more, even when I do get holidays I have a son and his needs come first. Finally I have been in the middle of moving home.

I think its lovely if someone can drop everything and nip over to the Philipines whenever they want. But I'm not in that situation.

bornatbirth
21st May 2008, 23:20
neither am i,i have to take some unpaid leave to see my gf.

most of us are in differcult situations like urself but wouldnt u like to know that mae is the real deal,she could be taking ur money with no real intentions towards you sadly alot of guys will find this out for themselfs.

i dont think anyone is being critical of you or means any offence,it is possible u have found a lovely woman or justs wants you for ur money.its upto you how u deal with it so whatever u decide what to do goodluck with it,just becareful of how it may turn out?

Banana
22nd May 2008, 02:42
Thanks IanB - nice to know you are over your doubts.

Look forward to your next thread in a few weeks :D

KeithD
22nd May 2008, 09:00
I think its lovely if someone can drop everything and nip over to the Philipines whenever they want....
I can.....but I'm not going to that dump :icon_lol: ......a weekend in MancLand is much better :Erm:

aposhark
22nd May 2008, 10:13
I can.....but I'm not going to that dump :icon_lol: ......a weekend in MancLand is much better :Erm:

At least you've got a red scarf.
Watch out for your accent in Salford though :yikes::yikes:
Funny (I was born in Sefton Park) when I was living near Salford last year, all the locals said it was no problem for me to be in their pub as I supported Everton so I wasn't a "scouser" :Cuckoo::Cuckoo::Cuckoo:

joebloggs
22nd May 2008, 11:09
:icon_lol::action-smiley-081:

i know you watched the match last night scouser keith, did you see the sign some chelsea fans had :Erm: "SCOUSE FREE ZONE" :icon_lol::D:icon_lol:

Aposhark, what part of Salford did you live in ?

Sconnie
22nd May 2008, 11:22
doesnt take long

aposhark
22nd May 2008, 12:04
Aposhark, what part of Salford did you live in ?

Near Salford - Peel Green.
By the M60 :)

joebloggs
22nd May 2008, 12:20
Near Salford - Peel Green.
By the M60 :)

:omg:

what road...

aposhark
22nd May 2008, 12:39
:omg:

what road...

Southlands Ave.

I used to go to the "Grapes" to watch the matches on Sky.
Nice people there. :)

joebloggs
22nd May 2008, 12:49
Southlands Ave.

I used to go to the "Grapes" to watch the matches on Sky.
Nice people there. :)

yes, i know the place,Sealands, and Newlands ,,,

i live on liverpool road a few 100 metres away from Southlands, i use to walk past there twice a day, taking the dog for a walk on the fields near the areodrome

nice houses there :D

small world,,, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
22nd May 2008, 13:46
yes, i know the place,Sealands, and Newlands ,,,

i live on liverpool road a few 100 metres away from Southlands, i use to walk past there twice a day, taking the dog for a walk on the fields near the areodrome

nice houses there :D

small world,,, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

This is weird :) I used to run all the time near the cemetery, about 4 times a week. I run 20-30 miles a week minimum. :Bolt: :yikes:

I used to have to dodge a few dogs around there! :yikes: :Brick:

Such Is Life :icon_lol:

joebloggs
22nd May 2008, 14:06
not my dog, never let her off her lead :NoNo:
thou, me and the dog might have chased you :icon_lol:

the cemetery is where i take little joe and the dog for a walk, nice place for a cemetery :D...

hmm we could have passed each other many times... you definately went passed where i live if you went to the cemetery..

well hope it all goes :xxgrinning--00xx3: for you and your misses ex-neighbour :D

paul brogden
6th September 2008, 17:50
ian i am an exspert in the art of the scammers i have talked to many of them and have a mate who let me know about the asian scams as well have you not thought the girl you see on webcam could not really be her???????? im an exspert in the tell tale signs of scammers weather they be from africa asia or russia some do come out of america but few do. i will soon be writing a full post on the subject but due to it is very long i think i'll rest before writing it. but do keep an eye out for it.

i havent read all your post be take it from me scammers lie lie lie. ok never send money if you can help it unless you have met them in person. if you find one lie thats where you will find many more. i learnt the hard way and had my heart ripped out i would never wish that on any one and i lost alot of money. but i learned the hard way. please doubt every thing but they will try every trick in the book to convince you from sending fake passports to guilt tripping you. this is how they get you to send money.

sounds like its working. if sending money to a solicitor send a cheque to the named lawer firm not a indivisual this way you can confirm what she is saying dont send a personal cheque. to a person just send it named to the bussiness. keep an eye out for my post regarding scammers that means every one because it will help you keep safe.

keithAngel
6th September 2008, 18:07
ian i am an exspert in the art of the scammers i have talked to many of them and have a mate who let me know about the asian scams as well have you not thought the girl you see on webcam could not really be her???????? im an exspert in the tell tale signs of scammers weather they be from africa asia or russia some do come out of america but few do. i will soon be writing a full post on the subject but due to it is very long i think i'll rest before writing it. but do keep an eye out for it.

i havent read all your post be take it from me scammers lie lie lie. ok never send money if you can help it unless you have met them in person. if you find one lie thats where you will find many more. i learnt the hard way and had my heart ripped out i would never wish that on any one and i lost alot of money. but i learned the hard way. please doubt every thing but they will try every trick in the book to convince you from sending fake passports to guilt tripping you. this is how they get you to send money.

sounds like its working. if sending money to a solicitor send a cheque to the named lawer firm not a indivisual this way you can confirm what she is saying dont send a personal cheque. to a person just send it named to the bussiness. keep an eye out for my post regarding scammers that means every one because it will help you keep safe.

Ian may well be in Thailand now at least he said he would be there 3 weeks ago and hasnt posted here since so I for one have fingers crossed for him.

Cant wait for the promised post Paul the last few years has been an education but im always keen to learn more :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
6th September 2008, 18:17
Ian may well be in Thailand now at least he said he would be there 3 weeks ago and hasnt posted here since so I for one have fingers crossed for him.

Cant wait for the promised post Paul the last few years has been an education but im always keen to learn more :xxgrinning--00xx3:

No need to wait, mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Plenty to choose from with this link....:rolleyes:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/index.php?sid=932a5b3657b7891c9136151d74c55f0e

Enjoy the good read....

keithAngel
6th September 2008, 19:48
No need to wait, mate.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Plenty to choose from with this link....:rolleyes:
http://forum.419eater.com/forum/index.php?sid=932a5b3657b7891c9136151d74c55f0e

Enjoy the good read....

Thanks now I know what to do with the rest of my life:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

andypaul
6th September 2008, 20:03
Thanks now I know what to do with the rest of my life:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Keith that PM you sent me about winning the Nigerian super duper lottery mega rollover and you need me to give you the deeds of my gaff and all my money so you can go and pick up the winnings.

I lost the pm can you send me your address again please?

IanB
8th September 2008, 10:46
I'm back! Thailand was wonderful. My gf is a lovely lady. I will write more later, but for now I have just one more serious worry.

As I said, everything I can see about her leads me to trust her. I too know a lot of "scammers" (all Thai, though)*, and she does not fit the profile. However, I am being ultra cautious, maybe even paranoid. The last remaining concern is that she still wants to handle the anullment herself. She does not want me to send money direct to the lawyer. her reasons do not make sense to me. I think, in the end, I will simply press on an say that the contract with the lawyer is with me, take it or leave it, and see what happens.

If she is a scammer, surely she is the best in the world. Its sad that I don't feel I can completely open up with her yet.

Ian

* a long story but many of my friends in Thailand are ex bar girls and many of them strong along several boyfriends at a time.

Sim11UK
8th September 2008, 16:22
Glad that you finally got to meet up with your girlfriend, as I was wondering how it was going. :)

Keep us posted though, with your concerns.

Scouse
8th September 2008, 21:03
Hi Ian

You didn't say where you first got in contact with her but if it was a dating site or chat room see if you can find her again and set up a new profile to contact her. You will find out if she is genuine when you get the replies.

aromulus
8th September 2008, 21:46
Hi Ian

You didn't say where you first got in contact with her but if it was a dating site or chat room see if you can find her again and set up a new profile to contact her. You will find out if she is genuine when you get the replies.

Trust a scouser to come up with that one........:rolleyes:

lizaphil
8th September 2008, 22:33

well done pea:xxgrinning--00xx3:

LEAHnew
9th September 2008, 09:42
I'm back! Thailand was wonderful. My gf is a lovely lady. I will write more later, but for now I have just one more serious worry.

As I said, everything I can see about her leads me to trust her. I too know a lot of "scammers" (all Thai, though)*, and she does not fit the profile. However, I am being ultra cautious, maybe even paranoid. The last remaining concern is that she still wants to handle the anullment herself. She does not want me to send money direct to the lawyer. her reasons do not make sense to me. I think, in the end, I will simply press on an say that the contract with the lawyer is with me, take it or leave it, and see what happens.

If she is a scammer, surely she is the best in the world. Its sad that I don't feel I can completely open up with her yet.

Ian

* a long story but many of my friends in Thailand are ex bar girls and many of them strong along several boyfriends at a time.

Welcome back Ian, looking forward for your post..:)

keithAngel
9th September 2008, 13:58
Trust a
scouser to come up with that one........:rolleyes:

Standard operating procedure :rolleyes:

Scouse
9th September 2008, 19:31
No body seems to trust us, we don't trust outsiders!

ANDRES25
9th September 2008, 20:41
What a lucky girl! anyways, I agree to all who said that you should not pursue with the annulment case, meet her first and get to know her better. And then stop sending her money, or just send her money for the rental of computer so u can chat evryday.. 5,000 is more than enough. we'll see if she will still continue to talk to u and say those sweet things. I didn't have my own pc before and not even earning much but I still make an effort just to go to a computer shop to talk to my hubby.. I never asked anything from him but then he was the one always offering help. U really wanna make sure that she's sincere and not just after your money. BE WISE!!!