PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Ebbsfleet fc

Eljohno
10th May 2008, 21:25
As one of thousands of owners of Ebbsfleet fc i want to say well done on winning what i think might be there first trophy.

http://image.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2008/05/10/mcphee1.jpg Chris McPhee celebrates after scoring his Wembley winner. Photograph: Paul Gilham/Getty Images

Chris McPhee missed a penalty but then scored Ebbsfleet's winner as the Kent side defeated Torquay 1-0 in the FA Trophy final at Wembley.
Fleet had a golden chance to take the lead five minutes before half-time when Martin Rice gave away a needless penalty, bringing down Luke Moore as he ran away from goal, but the goalkeeper then made a left-handed save to deny McPhee's poorly-directed effort.
Midfielder McPhee made amends seconds before the interval when he tapped home from close range after Torquay's Chris Todd failed to clear his lines and was robbed by John Akinde.
It was almost two in the 62nd minute when 18-year-old Akinde hit the post after sliding in to connect with the ball after Rice could only parry a deflected long-range free-kick.
Torquay pressed for an equaliser but Tim Sills' header was cleared off the line by Stacy Long with 20 minutes remaining and the unmarked Elliott Benyon, on as a substitute, then nodded wide from six yards.
Long should have put the result beyond doubt with nine minutes left but he fired over from 10 yards, but Fleet held on for a memorable victory.

KeithD
10th May 2008, 22:05
Attendance: 276

...of which 137 were dragged in kicking & screaming, and 56 were lost Japanese tourists........:D

Eljohno
10th May 2008, 23:23
That was about right until the takeover but i know that Ebbsfleet had about 25,000 at the final:yikes: