PDA

View Full Version : World Cup!!!

Eljohno
22nd May 2006, 23:48
Ok guys it is only a few more weeks til the World Cup starts so who do you think will win it and why?

Do England have any chance with or without Rooney?

For me i will take the obvious choice and go for Brazil simply because i have not seen any other team who looks anywhere near as good as them although being the World Cup it does not always go with the favourites.

Admin
23rd May 2006, 08:35
England style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Usual suspects will probably win, Brazil, Germany or France. Worth dutching all 3 in a bet, and laying England if less than 10.0

Remember, all the teams done virtually the same to qualify, so back against short priced teams in the group stage.

1st games used to be low scoring, but this trend has changed in the last 3 competitions with a high number of goals. Betting 2+ goals for the first group games has proved profitable lately.

ivor&mel
23rd May 2006, 10:00
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; May 22 2006, 11&#58;48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Ok guys it is only a few more weeks til the World Cup starts so who do you think will win it and why?

For me i will take the obvious choice and go for Brazil simply because i have not seen any other team who looks anywhere near as good as them although being the World Cup it does not always go with the favourites.
[/b][/quote]
Brazil are usually favourites, but they never quite make it when the WC is played in Europe. Maybe it will be different this time as they have so many of their team playing in Europe now? Assuming both teams progressed, at what stage would England be likely to encounter Brazil? I&#39;d love an England v Brazil final, but I have a feeling that would not be possible?

This has got to be England&#39;s best chance for years, with or without Rooney. And the last chance for several players. Maybe for allplayers if we have nothing but McLaren to look forward to&#33;

ivor&mel
28th May 2006, 22:47
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; May 23 2006, 08&#58;35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
England style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

Usual suspects will probably win, Brazil, Germany or France. Worth dutching all 3 in a bet, and laying England if less than 10.0

Remember, all the teams done virtually the same to qualify, so back against short priced teams in the group stage.

1st games used to be low scoring, but this trend has changed in the last 3 competitions with a high number of goals. Betting 2+ goals for the first group games has proved profitable lately.
[/b][/quote]
So what do you think of this (http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1784799,00.html), Keith? Is it a load of billhooks or what?

ginapeterb
29th May 2006, 05:10
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"> Will England win the world Cup ?</span>

I don&#39;t often comment in the sports section, but its about time I did &#33;, With the support England has at home, there is no reason why they cannot win it, to say that in the last 40 years they havent won this knockout trophy is pretty sad, remember Old Jimmy Greaves, when he used to pundit on the BBC, his favourite words were this " Both sides are tired, its just a matter now of who wants it the most ?" that just about sums it up for me.

I was watching a programme on BBC2 last night about Argentina, whose rise to world cup prominence, took place amid 10 years of political dissapearances, dictatorship and the Falklands war, and yet they manage to win it twice, 1978 and 1986 I think, what impressed me about Argentina&#39;s mental attitude to the game, was the total self belief in sucess, the whole of Argentina was behind them, and they had one thing going for them that was different to the England Set up.

Carlos Menotti had the players to himself for months before the campain started, no problems with getting clubs to release players, and he had a mandate, bring the world cup back to Argentina with all the resources he needed from this generally poorer latin american country.

England&#39;s players are well paid, and we should have the resources to bring this trophy back to footballs home, the quality of the players is there, just look at Steven Gerrard and others, I think its all a matter of national support, and player self belief and temperament, I&#39;ve always thought that England never win it for one reason only, at the end of the day, if we win it fine, but if not, they always go back to lucrative salaries and they are always ok, as Jimmy Greaves says &#39; Saint its a funny old game, but really its just a matter of who wants it the most, hence the reason France won it in France 98, national pride, playing in front of the home crowd, can you imagine how we would feel if England could defeat Germany in Berlin in 2006 to take the trophy back to England, it would be the match of all time, and the greatest match ever played in world cup history, its there if they want it, its just a matter of how much ??

Admin
29th May 2006, 07:11
They have those formulas for everything.

If England win, I&#39;ll polish the Pope&#39;s bell style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

We couldn;t beat Belarus....and that WAS NOT our &#39;B&#39; team......as some of the players are going the World cup, and Owen played like the sack of spuds he is, and he&#39;s our main striker style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

I&#39;m a professional gambler, I&#39;ll be taking them on for bucket loads after the group stages. Haven&#39;t failed to profit in the big soccer tournies yet, and I won&#39;t fail this year eaither. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Come on TOBAGO..... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm24.gif

ivor&mel
29th May 2006, 08:43
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; May 29 2006, 07&#58;11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
They have those formulas for everything.
[/b][/quote]
I&#39;m going to use e=mc2. I&#39;ve always liked that one style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; May 29 2006, 07&#58;11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If England win, I&#39;ll polish the Pope&#39;s bell style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif
[/b][/quote]
Oh ye of little faith&#33; Get your Brasso out then&#33;

We couldn;t beat Belarus....and that WAS NOT our &#39;B&#39; team......as some of the players are going the World cup, and Owen played like the sack of spuds he is, and he&#39;s our main striker style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, that was a result that&#39;s best forgotten. Owen&#39;s rusty (the Newcastle air does that to people) but he&#39;ll come good in time. He scores goals when it matters, and I think he&#39;ll deliver.
Come on TOBAGO..... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm24.gif
[/b][/quote]
Tobago? Even Wales beat them&#33; And they have to have Trinidad to help them style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Admin
29th May 2006, 09:38
It was Tobago&#39;s &#39;B&#39; team style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

walesrob
29th May 2006, 10:45
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; May 22 2006, 11&#58;48 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Look, I don&#39;t know much about Footie, but you must admit its not looking too good if England are pinning their hopes on a player with a broken foot. Isn&#39;t there other players as well? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

What makes me laugh when it comes to World Cup time is how the Scottish and Welsh will just NOT support England, not matter how good they are - it really is quite pathetic. I spoke to one looney Welsh Nationalist yesterday, and he said he&#39;d rather eat his granny than support England style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

Admin
29th May 2006, 13:56
I&#39;d get behind any team.....as long as it&#39;s not France or Man U style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

andypaul
29th May 2006, 21:34
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; May 29 2006, 01&#58;56 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I&#39;d get behind any team.....as long as it&#39;s not France or Man U style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

Even Everton??

Admin
30th May 2006, 08:26
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(andypaul &#064; May 29 2006, 09&#58;34 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Even Everton??
[/b][/quote]

I&#39;m always behind Everton.....my great great grandad was the manager for a number of years, so our family still gets looked after by the ground style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Back to the World Cup, with our strike force down to &#39;crap&#39; we now change the formation, and rely on Gerrard & Lampard, who don&#39;t really perform at International level. Next we&#39;ll have Angus Deayton in goal style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

cappelan
4th June 2006, 21:57
<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">AUSSIE..AUSSIE..AUSSIE..OI&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;..OI&#33;&#33;&#33;..OI&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</span> style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=104992

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">Dogged Australia hold Dutch to draw</span> style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

Monday Jun 5 05:29 AEST

Australia showed the world how to stop the Netherlands at the forthcoming World Cup with a battling 1-1 draw on Sunday.

The Dutch took a first half lead through Manchester United forward Ruud van Nistelrooy but the Socceroos hit back after the break with Tim Cahill smashing home a rebound after Mark Viduka&#39;s penalty came back off the woodwork.

They even survived the 61st minute red card of Luke Wiltshire to continue to frustrate their talented opponents right to the final whistle.

Australia employed rough tactics, teetering on the limit of legality, to nullify the more seductive football produced by their opponents to gain a flattering result.

Australia&#39;s Dutch coach Guus Hiddink was delighted.

"What a great match, with a great physical level that proves our players are ready even if they were tiring at the end," he said.

"Tactically we have come up against one of the best teams in the world and we matched them.
"The progress we have made is amazing in several short months compared to the Australia of six months ago."

Marco van Basten&#39;s men went on the attack from the first whistle and were ahead after just nine minutes after Mark Schwarzer parried a centre from Dennis Ooijer straight to the former PSV Eindhoven player&#39;s feet.

The Netherlands remained in the ascendancy with Schwarzer troubled into keeping out efforts from Wesley Sneijder, Mark van Bommel and van Nistelrooy.

But that all changed after the break as Sneijder limped off and then Giovanni van Bronckhorst brought down Viduka to give the visitors a lifeline.

Viduka missed from 12 yards, as he had done in the successful World Cup play-off shoot-out against Uruguay in November, but thankfully Cahill was following up.

Soon after, Wiltshire was given his marching orders for assaulting van Nistelrooy and the injured party, along with attacking partners Robin van Persie of Arsenal and Chelsea&#39;s Arjen Robben, went close to snatching victory but found Schwarzer in inspired form and the Netherlands were forced to content themselves with a draw.

"Our performance was not perfect," moaned van Basten. "There are many things we need to improve, that&#39;s for sure.

"But at least we played very well, created a lot of chances."

Van Basten had no complaints about Australia&#39;s physical approach despite injuries to Sneijder, Phillip Cocu and van Bronckhorst.

"This was a match for men. It is more enriching to play in a match like this but unfortunately three of my players are now injured.

"I hope it is not too serious."

For Australia it was a morale-boosting result on the territory of FIFA&#39;s number three rated country, but that could not mask the gulf in class at times.

In the first half, Viduka cut a lonely figure up front on his own with midfielders unable to reach him quickly enough to offer support.

Australia could not match the speed of the Dutch wingers, nor the creativity of a midfield superbly marshalled by the excellent Sneijder.

But Schwarzer played a blinder and could have earned himself a start ahead of Zeljko Kalac in the June 9-July 9 showpiece.

The Netherlands have been paired with Argentina, Ivory Coast and Serbia and Montenegro in Group C while Australia face Brazil, Japan and Croatia in Group F.

Admin
5th June 2006, 08:43
Italy played complete crap the other day, I&#39;ll be playing against them in the tournie, but after watching Brazil style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif they look by far the best of all the teams I&#39;ve seen so far, no surprise there though.

ivor&mel
5th June 2006, 18:33
Italy seem to have been distracted by the all the corruption stuff in their league. Going to be interesting to see the outcome: at the moment, the feeling is that Juve are going to get the boot - and it won&#39;t be golden&#33;

Who do people think has the best chance amongst European teams (apart from England, of course style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif )? Spain are overdue for a good run... and the Czechs are looking pretty formidable again.

Admin
6th June 2006, 19:43
Ivory Coast......not very European...but then nor is Israel&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

ervenescence
7th June 2006, 09:32
Philippines&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif hehehe

Brazil still the best team...

but Come on England do your best, think you can do it.

Do the Crouch.

Admin
7th June 2006, 10:44
The Phil scored a point in the group qualifiers.....a record for them style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

Probably cos the othe team didn&#39;t turn up, and they still only managed 0-0 style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

ivor&mel
7th June 2006, 11:38
Apparently the balls they are going to be using (Adidas Teamgeist) are light, stitching-free, move about a lot, and are difficult for goalies to handle when wet. Thank God we have Sven in charge - I&#39;m sure he can offer advice about what to do with slippery balls style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

Eljohno
11th June 2006, 16:17
It is hard to understand why England do not play better considering they have some great players in the team. But then they never really start well in big competitions so i am sure there is much better to come.........

Admin
11th June 2006, 16:21
....just a question of WHAT year? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ivor&mel
11th June 2006, 16:40
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; Jun 11 2006, 04&#58;17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It is hard to understand why England do not play better considering they have some great players in the team. But then they never really start well in big competitions so i am sure there is much better to come.........
[/b][/quote]
3-1 was a good start against France - but that is too far in the past style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif Think it was in the Euros rather than the WC? But, yes, it always amazes me how crap England look on the field compared to other teams: touch, technique, keeping possession, tactical awareness, adaptability, substitutions that actually improve the situation... and Owen Hargreaves... It still seems to be the same old "blinkers-on-and-up-and-at-em" attitude - as long as it&#39;s not too hot and the ground isn&#39;t too hard and the opposition stop laughing at us. Always so much hope, so much potential that never gets fulfilled.... We&#39;re still going to win it though style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 11 2006, 04&#58;21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>....just a question of WHAT year? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]That would be 1970... but then we lost Banksie style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ervenescence
12th June 2006, 16:35
The England team was hibernating, they blamed the heat of why their game recently wasn&#39;t too great.

awww...just 30 degrees? What if the WC will be held in a boiling country? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif

ivor&mel
12th June 2006, 17:25
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; Jun 12 2006, 04&#58;35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>awww...just 30 degrees? What if the WC will be held in a boiling country? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif
[/b][/quote]Like Boilivia perhaps? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hammer.gif

I&#39;ve got me coat...

Eljohno
12th June 2006, 20:02
It was good to see Australia doing well although it is Brazil next for them&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Chec Republic looked very good today....

cappelan
12th June 2006, 21:53
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; Jun 13 2006, 05&#58;02 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It was good to see Australia doing well although it is Brazil next for them&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
Chec Republic looked very good today....
[/b][/quote]

BRING EM ONNNN&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

AUSIE AUSIE AUSIE OII OII OII

3 -1, 3-1, 3-1, 3-1 etc etc etc style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugher.gif

Admin
13th June 2006, 08:48
Two Paraguay players play in the German League..........Argentina....Australia....etc....all play in the cold....so England just use any excuse.......the Czechs managed to win....must have been the heat making them play better style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

aromulus
14th June 2006, 12:04
I sincerely wished that the Swiss had rogered the french, but it didn&#39;t happen....

Brazil, apart from a couple of sprints didn&#39;t set the game alight, and ronaldo was a waste of space, his sub did more damage in the first ten minutes of play than the big man himself in all of his time on the pitch.
The only goal was good.

The policy of not wasting talent playing too many friendlies, worked for Italy quite well, 2 superb goals and an exciting game. They will go far... unless they met Korea again... In which case is the bus back home....

If it wasn&#39;t for the own goal... England was not even average in my mind. and not really worthy of a win, but that&#39;s football.
(how did you guess I was not English?)

ivor&mel
14th June 2006, 12:39
Ronaldo is a waste of ever-increasing space&#33; Even for his one shot at goal, he hardly moved. I no longer have expectations of him, but Adriano was a disappointment if he is supposed to be the future Brazil strike force; maybe he can forge a better partnership with Robinho? Kaka though was absolutely magnificent; this guy just impresses me more and more each time I see him.

Admin
14th June 2006, 12:46
Pity the game with Toga was buggered up with a sending off, would have been very interesting otherwise.

Ronaldo is like Beckham.....too big a name to replace style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif Wonder if McLaren will have the bottle.....

....and also make GERRARD captain.

ivor&mel
14th June 2006, 13:18
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 14 2006, 12&#58;46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Pity the game with Toga was buggered up with a sending off, would have been very interesting otherwise.

Ronaldo is like Beckham.....too big a name to replace style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif Wonder if McLaren will have the bottle.....

....and also make GERRARD captain.
[/b][/quote]
Togo looked pretty slick, considering all their off-field hassles, and the fact that they hardly know each other&#33;

Seems impossible to avoid using the the words "Ronaldo" and "big" in the same sentence style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

It&#39;s time Beckham was replaced totally. Scolari would have done it... but don&#39;t think McLaren will do it before the Euros. In which case it might be best just to go for a new captain - but not Gerrard&#33; He has enough on his plate just trying to play in the same team as Lampard&#33; It has to be Terry.

Admin
14th June 2006, 14:39
Bang Bang - Welcome to Spanish Football Ukraine style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ivor&mel
14th June 2006, 14:54
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Jun 14 2006, 02&#58;39 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Bang Bang - Welcome to Spanish Football Ukraine style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]Shevchenko looks like he&#39;s been taking lessons from Ronaldo&#33; But Spain are looking useful... maybe they&#39;ll make decent progress this time...

Admin
14th June 2006, 15:44
Setup & goal of the tournie so far that 4th Spanish goal...excellent play. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ivor&mel
14th June 2006, 21:55
Meanwhile.... Germany go marching quietely on... Anyone else getting a feeling of deja vu...?

Admin
14th June 2006, 22:04
Go on Saudi style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Eljohno
14th June 2006, 23:47
I was impressed with Spain today. Will they fall flat as usual or carry that form through a few more games, thats the big question...

The Germans even though they have not been the best German team ever should probably still get a run and they could meet England around the 2nd knock out stage.

I like Switzerland also and they should qualify for the next stage also...

ivor&mel
15th June 2006, 18:00
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif Anyone know when England are going to start playing...?

Admin
15th June 2006, 18:02
What a joke....nearly LOSING 0-1 style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif Not unexpected though....nice to see the crown BOO style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

baboyako
15th June 2006, 18:03
less than 0.5 goals so far...

ivor&mel
15th June 2006, 18:57
You lucky :censored:. A better 2nd half performance eventually, but a decent team are going to rip us to pieces unless we wake up.

ervenescence
15th June 2006, 19:19
Yeheeyyyyyyy&#33;

Well done England. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

2-0&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; 2-0&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Eljohno
15th June 2006, 22:21
It is typical of England to play poorly against poor teams and i do not think you will see their best game until they meet Germany if it pans out that way.

And it took two LIVERPOOL PLAYERS to win the game for England&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Admin
16th June 2006, 08:15
Liverpool 2 - T&T 0 .....Don&#39;t ya just luv it style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

GERRARD should be captain....he&#39;s proved his worth TWICE on the big stage. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

Beckham has the fire of a roadkill hedgehog style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

Interviewed after the match....and I quote "If we play like that against Sweden we should qualify" style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif We already had you dumb style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm23.gif ....do the MATHS.....it&#39;s simple&#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm24.gif

ivor&mel
16th June 2006, 08:28
An interesting situation now: by the time we play Sweden, we will know who are 1 and 2 in Group A. So, effectively, the choice of 2nd round opponents is in our own hands; though I don't know whether I'd prefer Ecuador or Germany! Maybe Ecuador, because we tend to do well against "lesser" South American teams, and Germany are the home team, more familiar with our style and have a strong desire to avenge that 5-1 defeat (oh, the good old days! :D ). So, if Ecuador stay top of Group A, I hope we lose to Sweden :) Maybe we should send out an experimental team in that case: Crouch in goal, Lennon and Walcott in central defence, Hargreaves and Carragher up front... :) I'll have a word with Sven...

Whoever we play though, we could be facing Argentina if we get to the Quarters?

Terry's contribution was even more important than Gerrard's: if he hadn't made that fantastic goal-line clearance in the first half, the whole balance of the game would have changed.

Did I hear right that Beckham was "man of the match"? For what? Making one decent cross to Crouch?

Admin
16th June 2006, 09:56
But if it wasn&#39;t for the defence getting in a twist and done there job, Terry wouldn&#39;t have had to have re-employed himself as a defender style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

I couldn&#39;t care who we get, we&#39;ll be knocked out soon enough, when we hit a team that can play football style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ivor&mel
16th June 2006, 14:49
If England play Argentina on current form, it's going to be a comedy show...

KeithD
20th June 2006, 18:09
ENGLAND!!!!! Ya bunch of poo.....thought I'd get that in before kick-off ;)

ivor&mel
20th June 2006, 19:20
Imported_admin?? What have you done to Rob??!!

ivor&mel
20th June 2006, 19:34
Forget that posting about imported_admin... I think we have 2 Keiths now:cool:

cappelan
22nd June 2006, 22:33
Aussie Aussie Aussie Oii Oii Oii !!!!!:yikes:

Bring on the Italians!!!!:Hellooo:

ivor&mel
23rd June 2006, 08:24
WTF was Graham Poll playing at last night? Can he count? Can he write? Do all Croat names seem the same to him? Is he really one of the Premiership's best? How embarrassing...

KeithD
23rd June 2006, 09:02
Professional refs eh?? He's the big headed one with the number plate REF1 ....plonker...

ivor&mel
23rd June 2006, 09:26
He seems to have had a strange record last season (http://www.ratetheref.co.uk/Ref/RefData.aspx?RefID=33): only gave 1 pen all season... made 34 bookings from Aug to 16th Oct... then another 6 in the Wigan v Arsenal match on 19th Nov... and then absolutely nothing for the rest of the season...

fontain
23rd June 2006, 09:39
Hopefully thats the end of him in this world cup, and hopefully the league by the end of next season

I just hoped the croats scored after his mistake, just to see the aussie reaction......Anders Frisk style

Up until his 15 minutes of fame I was cheering on the aussies but theirs nothing like a bit of controversy on a Friday morning and it least it wasnt happening 2 us :icon_eek:

I just cant wait till Sunday, its make or break for us now :doh
Surely we are due a performance :bigcry:
Even Brazil finally got started last night

baboyako
23rd June 2006, 18:25
maybe he had a bet there would be less than 0.5 sending offs?

ivor&mel
23rd June 2006, 18:38
What odds could you have got on >2.5 yellow cards to the same person in one match? :D

baboyako
23rd June 2006, 20:14
watching france go out is more fun
:icon_lol::Hellooo::icon_lol::Hellooo::icon_lol::Hellooo:

baboyako
23rd June 2006, 21:02
au revoir!!!

KeithD
23rd June 2006, 21:24
Not now :) Next round along with England :)

ivor&mel
23rd June 2006, 21:31
Allez les bleus! :xxparty-smiley-050: Oops... wrong forum :rolleyes:

baboyako
23rd June 2006, 21:39
ya looks like france vs spain. all bets off for that i reckon

KeithD
23rd June 2006, 22:33
Headlines:
England go out to Germany on pens!!! :NoNo: :doh :icon_lol:

Eljohno
24th June 2006, 19:44
Good win for Germany and looks like they might play Argentina in the next round which will be by far their hardest match..

I think the Germans have a much better chance of winning it than England..

baboyako
24th June 2006, 20:36
eljohno you're barred !!:Hellooo:

ivor&mel
24th June 2006, 21:57
It's all gone quiet here... is everyone else gripped by Arg v Mexico?

Eljohno
24th June 2006, 22:13
I come in peace but speak the truth as in England at the moment are at best average but do not get me wrong i am a fan. Ivor i am watching the Mexico v Argentina game and the only thing that has made the difference was the wonder goal.....

ivor&mel
24th June 2006, 22:23
I come in peace but speak the truth as in England at the moment are at best average but do not get me wrong i am a fan. Ivor i am watching the Mexico v Argentina game and the only thing that has made the difference was the wonder goal.....
And the duff offside decision? Either way, Argentina should have the edge, I guess :) Germany v Arg is going to be interesting...

But you're right about England... The only positive spin I can put on it is that England can't play any worse. Or can they?! Hargreaves at right-back? Carrick as holding midfielder in a game we can't afford to lose? Rooney up front on his own? Don't know what that would do to Ecuador, but it scares the sh*t out of me! :D

ervenescence
25th June 2006, 17:06
England team is simply crap and sloppy
but I still supporting them though.:rolleyes:

walesrob
25th June 2006, 17:52
England team is simply crap and sloppy
but I still supporting them though.:rolleyes:

But they still won!

1-0! :Hellooo::Hellooo:

Eljohno
25th June 2006, 18:03
Great win for England although apart from a great free kick beckham was not up to much and what a difference it made when they put Lennon on.
Lampard is a great player and i am a fan of his but not sure if i remember him missing so many chances...

ivor&mel
25th June 2006, 18:05
Same old rubbish... same old "We know we can play better and we will"... I hope we get Holland next.... can't stand the thought of Big Phil getting one over us 3 times in a row...

walesrob
25th June 2006, 18:10

John, could you please try and change your sig, it looks a bit Welsh :D :eek: Thanks boyo

KeithD
25th June 2006, 19:02
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

We'll have to listen to Beckham's bragging for years now.....

mrsfrivolity
26th June 2006, 10:35
Have to acknowledge though that Beckham has redeemed himself with that goal. Isn't he pretty? :laugher:

What about all the publicity on the WAGs? I swear they're on every weekly magazine.

ginapeterb
26th June 2006, 12:40
Good win for Germany and looks like they might play Argentina in the next round which will be by far their hardest match..

I think the Germans have a much better chance of winning it than England..

Typical Non Englishman response (although youre right)

ginapeterb
26th June 2006, 12:42

John, could you please try and change your sig, it looks a bit Welsh :D :eek: Thanks boyo

JOHN !!!!! Please sort your signature out, we are impressed by your HTML code writing, but as we use wysiwig, do we have to see it like this.

ervenescence
26th June 2006, 15:04
I can see Lennon has the great potential,
one of the best player I should say.

ervenescence
26th June 2006, 15:13
What about all the publicity on the WAGs? I swear they're on every weekly magazine.

What is WAGS?

Is it Wages All Gone Shopping?:cwm24:

ivor&mel
26th June 2006, 15:51
What is WAGS?

Is it Wages All Gone Shopping?:cwm24:
Wives And Girlfriends...

And, yes, it means the same as your version :D

ivor&mel
26th June 2006, 17:59
Oh well, bang goes an Eng v Aus final :bigcry: Harsh penalty with no time left. Thought Totti would bottle it though.

Matt
26th June 2006, 23:14
I agree Lampard is a good player and i have never seen him miss so many shots on goal during the premiership season. He will hit the back of the net when we really need it, and redeem himself. So Portugal next Saturday 4pm GMT. Engalnd should go through as Portugal has lost two key midfielders and Cristiano Ronaldo limping off the field after a high tackle, puts the odds in Engalnds favour. But as usual the English team will keep us at the edge of our seats praying for a goal when in the 89th minute before getting one through. It is the toughest match yet and England need to start playing as a team and holding onto the ball for longer periods of time. I feel the Aussie were robbed of their chance to go through to the quarters. They put up a good fight. Better luck next time.

aromulus
26th June 2006, 23:26
As an italian impartial observer i must admit that the dive was worth an OSCAR... and the penalty...

But anyone in the same situation, would have gone for it, wether it be Brazil, Germany or England. I am sorry for the Aussies, they deserved better than that, but...... c'est la vie.....

And on a lighter note.... Scolari will give England another thumping......
If it comes to penalties... there always is a goalkeeper at the end of the queue ready to score the winner...

Ok, Ok.... I shut up....

Eljohno
26th June 2006, 23:53
Hi guys,

i had never changed my signature after Keith revamped the website so i did not realise it was coming out so messy so i have deleted it so hopefully its fine now....

KeithD
27th June 2006, 08:41
With the technology available, this World Cup is a cheating farce, and I've lost complete faith in the powers that be.

It took 3 mins to sort out the NONE penalty, and yet the TV channel took 30 secs to review all angles and decide it was a blatant dive, and he should have been red carded for trying to fix the game (not unknown for Italians).

Hopefully the winners will be the team with class who do not have to resort to cheating to win, although saying that, all teams do it to a certain extent.

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 09:04
Wasn't this supposed to be the WC where they came down heavily on cheats? It seems to be endemic now, and no-one really gives a toss about sorting it.

And did anyone manage to stay awake till the end of the Ukraine v Switzerland match?! What was that about?!

KeithD
27th June 2006, 09:57
Great penalty shoot out :NoNo:

The problem was, no one cheated and that's the type of game you get :icon_lol:

fontain
27th June 2006, 10:32
I fell asleep twice during last nights game, what a bore ZZZZZZZZZ
Still hung over from England

Rushed out of work last night to catch the Aussies coz I thought it was going to extra time, literally got a pint had a sip, penalty, cue loads of shouting in Italian, cursing in oz/English (i`m in the west end of London)

And me with a full pint but no football 2 watch :doh

I hope spain vs france 2nite is more of a contest, which France lose of course.

C'mon England, easy peezy portugeezy
Please Please play some good football :Brick:

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 11:35
Deco's definitely out for Portugal. Cheeky sods trying to get it overturned! :Hellooo:

walesrob
27th June 2006, 11:44
Deco's definitely out for Portugal. Cheeky sods trying to get it overturned! :Hellooo:

Why do the words Art Deco come to mind :icon_lol::confused::cwm3:

ivor&mel
27th June 2006, 11:47
Why do the words Art Deco come to mind :icon_lol::confused::cwm3:
I don't know! I keep calling him Art in my head! :Brick:

baboyako
27th June 2006, 22:23
the neighbours are french & now have the guitar out

:Brick::Brick::Brick::Brick::Brick::Brick::Brick::NoNo:

Eljohno
27th June 2006, 22:40
Yet again Spain under perform and at least one more time we will get to see Zidane playing again. Still do not think France will win it but you never know.....

Eljohno
27th June 2006, 22:41
Felt sorry for Ghana as they have played so well in the world cup. If only they could have had a good striker the game might have been different...

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 08:14
Lovely goal by Zidane: great pass by Wiltord, sublime coolness by Zidane. So... now he has to face his apprentice, young Ronaldinho...

And the 2010 WC could be a lot more unpredictable; the African nations will have a great chance then.

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 08:32
I'm sure we've all heard and seen enough about the English players' WAGs. Just wondering how all the Filipino-UK WAGs are coping with the World Cup... We know Erve's well into it... and Mel too - she's watched more matches than I have! What about other wives/gfs? How are they coping with what must be a weird event to them?

Ivor and Mel

KeithD
28th June 2006, 08:53
Henry is s cheat now as well.....utter disgrace, and with his talents...:NoNo:

Eljohno
28th June 2006, 08:55
Rhea has no interest in football, all she knows is i am a Liverpool fan and Steve Gerrard is my fav player and he also plays for England. I must admit she is very good considering this and lets me watch the world cup even when she wants to watch something else. Just as well as i just bought a projector and now i have a 6 foot match playing most days on my livingroom wall lol

ginapeterb
28th June 2006, 09:07
I'm sure we've all heard and seen enough about the English players' WAGs. Just wondering how all the Filipino-UK WAGs are coping with the World Cup... We know Erve's well into it... and Mel too - she's watched more matches than I have! What about other wives/gfs? How are they coping with what must be a weird event to them?

Ivor and Mel

Gina is ecstatic about it, gets well into the matches, and shouts like this

" Score Score ! get it in !, pass it ! not that way, this way ! England ! come on Gerard ! " " Rooney is brilliant" " Come on Wayne " ohhhhhhh arrrghhhhhhh owwwwwwwwwwwww

She really has picked up the World Cup Fever, and enjoys every minute of the matches, no matter who is playing, I guess I am lucky in that regard.

KeithD
28th June 2006, 09:11
" Come on Wayne " ohhhhhhh arrrghhhhhhh owwwwwwwwwwwww

:yikes: What are you two doing while the footy is on? And why does she call you Wayne??? :Erm: :icon_eek:

ginapeterb
28th June 2006, 09:19
As always Keith provides the humour to the Forum, he always has that ability of turning any serious conversation into a sexual one....way to go Kieth...

KeithD
28th June 2006, 09:20
My apologises....it's the scouse upbringing :)

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 09:35
Henry is s cheat now as well.....utter disgrace, and with his talents...:NoNo:
I still can't believe I saw that happen last night... almost as stupid as Rivaldo last time... His reputation has been permanently tarnished now.

Would an England player do that? I couldn't say "no"... Joe Cole, Owen, Gerrard are all getting very "cute" nowadays. Cheating and cynicism in the game seem to be getting worse, and, as the stakes get higher, it's not going to disappear.

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 09:45
Mel's the same as Gina, Pete.. shouting, screaming, bouncing up and down... The neighbours must think I'm a superstud :D

Crouch was, unsurprisingly, the first player she learnt to recognise; but now it's also Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard.. even Owen! Other teams too.. she knows Henry, Ronaldinho, Kaka... It's surprised me (and pleased me!) the way she's taken to it. Maybe I should take her to Bramall Lane and show her what the real world of football is like :)

fontain
28th June 2006, 11:23
My missus already had a thing for Michael Owen when I met her.
Although I can assure you its not for his predatory instincts in front of goal (cue box joke here)

Apparently in Singapore at the mo, everone is supporting England, her and her mate went to watch the game on Sunday and said it was st georges crosses everywhere.

But now she has a diliemma as her mate and fellow England supporter has now switched her allegiance to Portugal (due to Mr Figo) so things should get interesting on Sat

When we win of course :yikes:

Eljohno
28th June 2006, 12:46
I still can't believe I saw that happen last night... almost as stupid as Rivaldo last time... His reputation has been permanently tarnished now.

Would an England player do that? I couldn't say "no"... Joe Cole, Owen, Gerrard are all getting very "cute" nowadays. Cheating and cynicism in the game seem to be getting worse, and, as the stakes get higher, it's not going to disappear.
I did not see the whole game last night so what happened with Henry?

Did he dive?

Eljohno
28th June 2006, 12:50
In reference to an earlier post i wrote about having a projector, i could not believe how much cheaper they have got. My friend bought one last year for &#163;1200 and i got mine on ebay brand new for a 1/4 of that price.
And its great for the World Cup games & soon it will be the Liverpool in the league, though wow cannot imagine how big Crouch is going to look lol

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 13:02
I did not see the whole game last night so what happened with Henry?

Did he dive?
Feigning injury after a clash with Puyol... Went down clutching his face which was never touched... Seems this may have been revenge on Henry's part for his treatment from Puyol when **** played Barca...

Oh... I've been censored! the "****" is A-r-s-e...

Eljohno
28th June 2006, 13:29
He must have got lessons from Robben on how to look like someone hit you with a hammer....

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 17:56
He must have got lessons from Robben on how to look like someone hit you with a hammer....
:Hammer: :Erm: Robben'd go down if hit by a ham-a sandwich :Hellooo:

Help!:ARsurrender: I'm getting withdrawal symptoms... I need footie!!

fontain
28th June 2006, 18:03
Me too, i`m still sitting here in the office feeling like something's missing.

Are we really that bad, one day without a game and we are already getting withdrawl symptoms :cwm24:

Oh well at least the new season starts soon :)

ivor&mel
28th June 2006, 18:17
Anyone for tennis? Oh... :NoNo: that's even more depressing...

KeithD
28th June 2006, 19:15
Horse racing doesn't finish till 9:10 :)

ervenescence
28th June 2006, 19:38
For a change, I watched tennis on tele when Murray was playing, hes a brilliant player I should say, must be the next Agassi?

KeithD
28th June 2006, 19:45
He needs a makeover!!

fontain
29th June 2006, 16:33
Murray, ,the one who was supporting anyone except England at football.
If only the Tennis crowd had the balls :doh to reciprocate

Too nice for that though.... roll on Saturday !

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 16:43
So what's the line-up going to be for Sat? 4-1-4-1?

Robinson
Neville Ferdinand Terry Cole
Hargreaves
Beckham Lampard Gerrard Cole
Rooney

fontain
29th June 2006, 16:47
I think so, unless anyone picks up a knock in training and assuming red nev is fully fit

I cant believe Germany V Argies is on at 4.00 tomorrow :NoNo:
I dont finish till 5.30 :Brick:

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 16:55
I guess the team picks itself now... this must be our first-choice XI :doh

fontain
29th June 2006, 17:04
Well with who's fit, if Owen were still involved then would prob go back to 4-4-2,

And maybe once Svens gone Beckham might get dropped for lennon, especially if he has another good season for tottenham

I just hope Gerrard takes it by the scruff of the neck on Sat, rooneys genna be well up for it and I just hope the rest of them turn up too!

I just heard Man U have put in a 20 Mil bid for Carrick, Fergie must really rate him

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 17:13
20m? Good grief... I'd be surprised though: Fergie can't have much to spend, and that would take most of his budget? I'd have thought he'd be better off scavenging from Juve and Milan when they get demoted and all their stars run off :)

Matt
29th June 2006, 17:14
I was too amazed at henry dropping like that holding his face looking for a penalty, especially as he did an interview on TV before the tournament saying that sort of thing needs to be rub out as it spoils the game. I think also Sven will keep the same formation even though Rooney must have run a marathon in the last match. Lampard will also score against Portugal, he is well over due in knocking one of those long range balls in the back of the net.

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 17:18
Lampard really seems to have had trouble getting on target in the WC. Is it because he can't adjust to the balls they are using? And what happens in training? Are they allowed to use match balls?

fontain
29th June 2006, 17:33
No one else seems affected by the balls and seeing as you can buy them for about £80 I would assume that they are using them for training.

I just think his having a dry spell and now his trying too hard to try and make ammends. Plus he needs to look for a few more passes than trying to shoot everytime

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 17:53
80 quid? :yikes: That's a lot for a helium balloon :D

KeithD
29th June 2006, 19:14
I heard Nancy will be in goal for this as she's been picking the team until now :NoNo:

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 20:01
I'm glad to hear it - that someone has admitted responsibility, I mean :)

Eljohno
29th June 2006, 22:14
I think if England have any chance they need to let Gerrard have a free role like he gets at Liverpool and he will score..

My heart would love to see them win it but my head says they will lose on sat or at best the semi final stage but i hope i am wrong...

russ01539
29th June 2006, 22:31
Sorry to say this guys but the Final will be Argentina v Italy. Crespo will get the winner and Messi in a 2-0 win. It will be a scrappy game unfit for a WC final, and the ref (the one who looks like Dracula) will send off at least 2 players.

Least thats what I dreamt the other night. I thought it had to be worth a fiver and got 80-1 on it. Could have got 16000-1 if i said when they will score !!!

I just hope my dream doesnt come true - it fills me with joy to hear my fiance shouting the england players on when they're on TV. And she even lets me wear my England shirt to bed.

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 22:35
Gerrard and Lampard both. I have to say I was impressed by Hargreaves playing in the spoiler role, and that's what we need to free up the other 2. He's no Makelele, but he's the best we've got!

I'm still optimistic about Sat. What bothers me is that we might go all the way and win it, playing crap football! Become the Greece of 2006...

russ01539
29th June 2006, 22:40
Do The Philippines have a national football team - I tried to search for evidence of their FA but nothing came up in my search. If anyone has any links are suggestions let me know.

Eljohno
29th June 2006, 22:44
They do have a team and when i looked on fifa website they were 166 in the world but i do not have a link for any more info.

ivor&mel
29th June 2006, 22:46
Yes :)
http://www.pinoysoccer.com/

KeithD
30th June 2006, 09:08
With all the Italian cheating in & out of the World Cup, if they win, it will be a farse :)

The Philippines scored 1pt in there group...first time ever....If they stopped concentrating on useless US games, and joined the rest of the world, footy, cricket, rugby, etc, then they might get noticed.

fontain
30th June 2006, 10:20
Had a few mates round last night and in the absence of real life football decided to re-enact Saturdays game on the playstation, two vs two.

England vs Portugal, same expected formations as Sat

England won it 3-2 with a Rooney hat trick :D

Could be an omen !!!!

I`m sticking a small bet on that result today, just in case

ivor&mel
30th June 2006, 10:27
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippines_national_football_team) has an entry for the Philippine footie team. Seems they do win occasionally!

ivor&mel
30th June 2006, 21:38
And it's all gone quiet over there...

It's Ukraine, isn't it? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Eljohno
30th June 2006, 22:51
This has to be the worst world cup ever for having bad referees, cannot believe some of the decisions that are being made and Argentina are going out because of another bad referee aaggh

aromulus
30th June 2006, 23:58
On the other hand the Italy - Ukraine game.... was a gem to watch..

And no italians got booked....

The ref was rather good I thought.

ivor&mel
1st July 2006, 06:54
This has to be the worst world cup ever for having bad referees, cannot believe some of the decisions that are being made and Argentina are going out because of another bad referee aaggh
They were all supposed to be the cream of the cream, weren't they? And now we're into the knockout stages, they should be the cream of the cream of the cream! It's shambolic. FIFA need to do a lot of reflection and soul-searching, and then come to the conclusion that they have to make use of technology to bring the game into the 21st century.

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 09:19
I realise that referees are human but its costing teams like Argentina a place in the next round. Although generally i am glad that they are starting to do something about the disgraceful divers

KeithD
1st July 2006, 09:40
Yet again it took the TV company 10 secs to decide it WAS a penalty after seeing all angles, and yet the players were still agruing on the pitch....which part of technology actually DELAYS the game??

http://www.win2win.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=349695#post349695

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 10:24
Yet again it took the TV company 10 secs to decide it WAS a penalty after seeing all angles, and yet the players were still agruing on the pitch....which part of technology actually DELAYS the game??

http://www.win2win.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=349695#post349695
I am in favour of technology being used at football games like the camera on the goalposts and even another ref with a monitor. I know it might slow things down a little but to many refs are making terrible decisions

russ01539
1st July 2006, 14:07
I as a part time sunday league ref myself am all against it. You see it works both ways doesnt it - Would England have won the World Cp in 66 if we had a cam on the post ? Would Sheringhams goal against Bayern stood ?

Its the controversy that makes that part of the game more intriguing, and what the heck would we all argue about, and who would we blame if the ref never made any mistakes ?????

What annoys me is the number of rule changes they bring in at every World Cup, and the discrepancies between the way certain rules are viewed depending on the league you play in. I just hope they keep it a contact sport though.

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 14:30
I as a part time sunday league ref myself am all against it. You see it works both ways doesnt it - Would England have won the World Cp in 66 if we had a cam on the post ? Would Sheringhams goal against Bayern stood ?

Its the controversy that makes that part of the game more intriguing, and what the heck would we all argue about, and who would we blame if the ref never made any mistakes ?????

What annoys me is the number of rule changes they bring in at every World Cup, and the discrepancies between the way certain rules are viewed depending on the league you play in. I just hope they keep it a contact sport though.
I actually was against the new offside rule but i have come around to now thinking its not a bad idea but its taken a while for even the players to get used to. Even if you are against video refereeing do you not think something needs to be done about the goal line. I know mistakes are part of the game but the one made against Spurs when they played Utd was a disgrace.

KeithD
1st July 2006, 14:33

You are kidding aren't you??

The BEST team is supposed to win playing by the rules that govern football, by diving, giving penalties that aren't, allowing goals that were offside, etc, is obviosuly NOT abiding by the rules of the sport and should be dealt with accordingly, otherwise the BEST team do not win. :Brick:

As for '66, well if the goal wasn't allowed, and Germany won, and that would be because they were the BEST team on the day, and won by playing football, not a linesman/ref getting the rules wrong.

You only need referral technology on penalty decisions & goals when the ref decides, not the players, and it SPEEDS up the game, because the replays are reviewed in seconds, the players argue for minutes.

russ01539
1st July 2006, 14:33
Yes it was a disgrace - but if your a Utd fan like me (and yes I was born within 15 miles of Old Trafford - and do attend regularly) it was a stroke of luck that changed our entire season !

Sorry if your a Tottenham fan, but I bet throughout the season the good weighed up with the bad decisions.

Matt
1st July 2006, 14:49
One and a quarter hours to go before the anticipated England V Portugal game. I am hoping beyond hope that England get through this round, but after seeing the other quaters being played i do not think England can progress through the semi finals. I still think Lampard will score in this match. Well i will be keeping my fingers crossed. As for the refereeing, I agree that there should be new technology on the goal posts, but on the pitch itself it should be left to the linesman and referee himself.

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 15:08
England will always have a chance when the greatest midfielder in the world Steven Gerrard is playing. I have to admit i am in agreement with you Keith on this one especially when i watched Argentina the better team go out against Germany because of mistakes made by the ref.
Although Russ i know the refs have an impossible task and i have also seen some amazing decisions made by the refs in the world cup.

Come on England!!!!!!!

russ01539
1st July 2006, 15:22
I bet you'll all be smiling if the ref awards us a dubious penalty in the last minute at 0-0.

What you all ?

ivor&mel
1st July 2006, 19:06
Was that enough dubious penalties for you? :D So... lets look forward to 2010 :Brick: :doh

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 19:40
Very disappointed with England as i thought they would give Brazil a much better game than Portugal will....

ervenescence
1st July 2006, 19:49
Unlucky..:mad:

Im a bit disappointed!

ivor&mel
1st July 2006, 20:07
A bit disappointed as a parrot...

aromulus
1st July 2006, 20:15
Scolari has done it again.....

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 21:42
Scolari has done it again.....

Is it any wonder they tried so hard to get him as manager as he has been a real thorn in England's side:Brick:

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 21:53
What a great performance by France!!!

Once again a South American team fails to win the world cup in Europe..

Now its anybodys cup..

ivor&mel
1st July 2006, 21:56
Have any English players come out of this tournament with credit? None of the supposed "stars", I think. Lennon has been good in his brief appearances. But Hargreaves has been the big surprise for me. He's the only one who's done a half-decent job. Right now, I despair of us ever getting anywhere in a tournament; we're world-beaters only in our imagination.

ivor&mel
1st July 2006, 22:08
France played some gorgeous football. I hope they stuff Portugal, and then play Italy in the final: and Zidane and Henry run riot. Allez les bleus!

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 22:23
Have any English players come out of this tournament with credit? None of the supposed "stars", I think. Lennon has been good in his brief appearances. But Hargreaves has been the big surprise for me. He's the only one who's done a half-decent job. Right now, I despair of us ever getting anywhere in a tournament; we're world-beaters only in our imagination.

I have to agree Ivor that Hargreaves was a success. I am very disappointed in Lampard & in the last game Gerrard. I think Ashley Cole can hold his head up also..:rolleyes:

ivor&mel
1st July 2006, 22:49
Yeah, you're right, John, Cole can't be faulted. I just find it so difficult right now to see any bright future for England in either the Euros or the WC. We've been well and truly exposed in all 5 matches in Germany, and, much as I want to, I can't blame Eriksson. Or the refs! We just don't have enough big-time players at international level. The "golden generation" is just a veneer.... their time is over and they can have no excuses. Sven got 4m a year to win us the WC? You can pay someone 4m a day, but they'll never win us anything till our so-called players learn to think and adapt to what's happening on the field, and are able to show even basic match-winning skills. This whole WC has been an embarassing disappointment for England.

Eljohno
1st July 2006, 22:58
I think it is a mixture of England just not having good enough players and the manager not being good enough. Also i do not think McClaren is the answer to England's problems

aromulus
1st July 2006, 23:03
Personally I would dearly wish Italy to win the cup, not that I am biased or anything like that..... I am glad that Italy will meet germany, once again. The germans don't have a very good record against the "Azzurri". I still remember the semi-final in Mexico 1970 and the final in Spain 1982... What thrilling games!!!!!!!!!! I just hope that the result goes Italy way, once more, if not... well... we will be there again in 4 years time, hungrier than ever.

KeithD
2nd July 2006, 09:02
As long as the cheating Italians don't win it, anyone else will do.

Good News - Sven has GONE :D

ivor&mel
2nd July 2006, 09:15
As long as the cheating Italians don't win it, anyone else will do.

Good News - Sven has GONE :D
Hear hear! The worst thing that could happen for football is if Italy end up winning.

But the really great news is that we now have McClaren to look forward to...

KeithD
2nd July 2006, 09:19
He can't do any worse :)

ivor&mel
2nd July 2006, 09:31
We'll come back to that in 2 years' time! :D

KeithD
2nd July 2006, 22:09
Sven gone - Beckham gone - Can it get any BETTER??? :D

ivor&mel
2nd July 2006, 22:37
Yep... we have McClaren :) ... Oh.... :bigcry:

Eljohno
3rd July 2006, 00:07
Sven gone - Beckham gone - Can it get any BETTER??? :D

I think Beckham has only stepped down as captain so he will continue to play for England if picked. I think we all agree that McClaren is not the answer for England:doh :NoNo:

KeithD
3rd July 2006, 09:04
If Mclaren wanted Beckham as captain he wouldn't have let him stand down, remember when McLarens back was against the wall in the EUFA cup he threw FIVE upfront.....not Sven's ONE.....for all or nothing.

Eljohno
3rd July 2006, 12:50
They should make Stevie Gerrard captain now.

Think i will watch the re-run of the N.Ireland-England game on bbc 1 tonight....

KeithD
3rd July 2006, 14:40
Bookies have Terry at 2/5, and yet the SKY poll had Gerrard ahead 2:1

Hopes it Gerrard, he's had it over Terry twice in big comps :D

ivor&mel
3rd July 2006, 15:14
Terry's ahead in the forum poll :D

fontain
3rd July 2006, 17:53
As long as he don't bring back Southgate :doh

russ01539
3rd July 2006, 19:22
Sorry about the ref thing. I could have reffed that game with less bias. I still havent worked out what Rooney was sent off for !!!

Well Gerard should get the captaincy, but McLaren will give it to John Terry (he's less injury prone).

Someone mentioned no one stood out for England in the WC, but I have been talking to a lot of Europeans in my job today and they are all going on about how good Aaron Lennon is. They seemed genuinly scared that Beckham will be dropped and Lennon will play in the Euros. Just the European view though. I hope he's not gonna be a one season wonder.

ivor&mel
4th July 2006, 14:34
It's coming to something when even the Germans are taking the p*ss... This was in today's Telegraph:

Meanwhile, yet another English shoot-out failure was lampooned in the German press yesterday with Bild's step-by-step guide (in English) to taking penalties (graphics included).

"This is the Ball," it explained. "This is the Goal and the important rule is: The Ball must go into the Goal." To emphasise the point, photographs were used of Michael Ballack firing his penalty past Leo Franco, Argentina's goalkeeper - "GOOD!" - and Frank Lampard shooting at Portugal's keeper, Ricardo - "NOT GOOD!"

KeithD
4th July 2006, 17:35
Strange, I wrote that :D

ivor&mel
5th July 2006, 09:18
Great game last night? I think it's the first time ever that I wanted Germany to win! Oh... no... I forgot the Argentina game already :D I was just getting me cocoa ready to watch the German penalty machine in action and then the bloody Italians had to spoil it! Here's hoping France stuff Portugal tonight; Italy v Portugal would just be a diving competition :NoNo:

ivor&mel
5th July 2006, 22:01
One set of divers out the way.... bring on the best... Allez les bleus encore :xxparty-smiley-050:

Don't understand it though - who are England playing next? :Erm: :D

walesrob
5th July 2006, 22:16
One set of divers out the way.... bring on the best... Allez les bleus encore :xxparty-smiley-050:

It was funny watching Scolari (sp?) flouncing around on the pitch after the match :cwm34:

Eljohno
5th July 2006, 22:19

I was glad to see Portugal lose but not coz they beat England but for the terrible diving also and Ronaldo has to be the worst i have ever seen at it... They should quit football and go to the Olyimpics and use their skill at the swimming pool:angry:

KeithD
5th July 2006, 22:31
Yo go FRANCE :)

All we need now is for them to knock out the other cheats...ITALY!!

aromulus
5th July 2006, 23:35
Thanks for the vote of confidence about Italy....

But this time we'll stuff the french.

As for the diving... i seem to remember a guy called Shearer , not that long ago...
claiming that his dive had been done for "England".... That occurred at Charleroi for euro 2000 versus Romania. He got caught... and booked.
So, please guys... stop casting that first stone, huh???
Any bugger, no matter the nationality, Will try to dive, if given the opportunity, no one can claim to be pure and innocent. It would be sheer hipocrisy

ivor&mel
6th July 2006, 08:38
Of course he got caught - diving is something else that the English are bad at! :D

Diving is cheating. Full-stop. Just one more layer of opportunism, cynicism and cheating that is ruining the game. Some nations seem to be better at it than others. Italy are past-masters at it, and if the French beat them on Sunday it will send out the right message.

fontain
6th July 2006, 09:31
Yes hopefully footballl will redeem itself by France beating them playing Football

Its the inconsistency by refs thats spoiled it though, one game book everyone, the next nothing.
More & more players trying to influence games by diving and cheating rather than skill & brilliance

Even the fella who scored Italys first goal the other night was the one who fell (dived) over the Aussie to get the penalty in the second round.

The only saving grace has been Zidane, his showing these wannabes how it should be done, i`ve almost forgiven him for that brace he got against us in the Euros in 04

And thanks to him keeping his cool we got to see Ronaldo :bigcry:

ivor&mel
6th July 2006, 09:44
It's been great to see glimpses of the old Zidane again... he makes everything look so easy and effortless when he's on song. And that penalty was brilliant to watch: no run up... he knew where he was going to put it... Ricardo knew where he was going to put it... result never in doubt...

aromulus
6th July 2006, 10:44
SOUR GRAPES.... HUH????

ivor&mel
6th July 2006, 11:02
Is that what they make Italian whine from...? :rolleyes:

aromulus
6th July 2006, 11:58
Nope.... Aussie...

Eljohno
6th July 2006, 13:02
Thanks for the vote of confidence about Italy....

But this time we'll stuff the french.

As for the diving... i seem to remember a guy called Shearer , not that long ago...
claiming that his dive had been done for "England".... That occurred at Charleroi for euro 2000 versus Romania. He got caught... and booked.
So, please guys... stop casting that first stone, huh???
Any bugger, no matter the nationality, Will try to dive, if given the opportunity, no one can claim to be pure and innocent. It would be sheer hipocrisy

I was not saying that diving is ok for any team as it is ruining the game and wrong no matter who do is and i only highlighted Portugal coz of Ronaldo and other players doing so much of it against France..

I am a big fan of Henry so come on France....:Hellooo:

aromulus
6th July 2006, 13:17
Of course diving ruins the game... but the same is to be said for ineffective referees. or overzealous ones...

Henry is ok, I admire him a lot, even if he plays for Arsenal... but he will dive like anybody else, if given the opportunity.

Italy for the cup...........

But good luck to the best team on the day.

ervenescence
6th July 2006, 13:40
Henry and Zidane, I love 'em ;)

aromulus
7th July 2006, 10:37
well... well...

Fallen Hero: James Lawton on how we're all being cheated

If a player with Thierry Henry's solid reputation for fairness and integrity can cheat to save the match for his team and country, then is there any point left to sport at all? James Lawton laments the spectacle of shameless play-acting on the World Cup stage, while our medical and theatrical experts offer their judgements on the histrionics that are now just another part of the game

Published: 29 June 2006

The nation is shocked. Our favourite adopted footballer, Thierry Henry, is caught out in a grotesque piece of cheating. An unmanly, unutterably cheap act of gamesmanship. He clutches his head and the national stomach churns.
But why? Is it any more surprising than finding a scantily clad temptress in a bordello? Sadly, not - and if anyone in England feels a hint of betrayal that Henry, the luminous star of Arsenal, an imported national treasure, a man of sophistication and style in his off-field musings, has let them down, they should run their mind back to two earlier World Cups. He or she should remember Naples, 1990, and St Etienne, in 1998.

I guess that evens the the next game, then....

fontain
7th July 2006, 12:17
Not my adopted son, his French after all and a gooner

ivor&mel
7th July 2006, 13:11
Some interesting stats (http://www.mirror.co.uk/worldcup/news/tm_objectid=17342960%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=pits-of-the-world-name_page.html) perhaps? :D

Original source is here (http://www.informationbuilders.co.uk/ontheball/wcuk.htm)

fontain
7th July 2006, 16:35
Oh well with Italian domestic football in a crisis perhaps when the world cup is over they can look forward to paving out a new career at the Olympics.

Although they will defo have some stern competition from the portuguese.

Better stick to the small board first

C U in the pool :yikes:

KeithD
7th July 2006, 16:47
Portuguese are taking up ballet!

russ01539
7th July 2006, 22:13
Picture this: Ron 'Chopper' Harris playing against Ronaldo. lol

Eljohno
8th July 2006, 17:53
I am surprised that Ronaldo does dive because there is a serious chance of wrecking his hair and ruining his make up lol

aromulus
8th July 2006, 23:09
well, as expected Germany won...
Unfortunately I didnt have the time to watch it, I just hope I set the DVD recorder correctly... bloody gadgets

ivor&mel
8th July 2006, 23:14
A fair result, and 2 cracking goals from Schweinsteiger. So there's hope for tomorrow :)

aromulus
8th July 2006, 23:44
I will drop the kids off tomorrow extra early, come home, open a bottle of well chilled white wine, unplug the phone, turn the mobile off, set the DVD recorder and watch the game.....
Italy win or lose I am going to have another bottle... either to celebrate or to forget... Looking at the stats... Italy hasn't got a good record against France, it is actually an abismal one.... All the more reason to go for the win.
Forza Azzurri !!!!!!!!!!

KeithD
9th July 2006, 08:46
Nice to see Portugal get whacked, and Ronny ballet dancing again!! :Erm:

The papers say he'll be moving from Manchester this week, as no one has stuck up for him.....wonder why :doh ....anyway, just for him.....GET LOST :Hellooo: :Hellooo: :Hellooo: :Hellooo:

aromulus
9th July 2006, 09:41
what if he moves to Liverpool....????

ivor&mel
9th July 2006, 09:52
I'm sure there be a warm welcome for him in Liverpool :D

KeithD
9th July 2006, 11:34
I'm sure there be a warm welcome for him in Liverpool :D

Very mucho.....in fact we already have the petrol & matches ready for him ;)

Eljohno
9th July 2006, 12:09
He will be right at home in Liverpool as i believe they have a nice swimming pool and ballet school!!!!!

aromulus
9th July 2006, 12:35
Go on admit it.... You want him at all costs............ Give him a chance...

walesrob
9th July 2006, 21:48
Wow did you see that head butt by Zidane :mad: what a knob.

Congrats Italy!! I knew they'd win :-)

ervenescence
9th July 2006, 21:48
ZIDAN HEAD BUTT:Brick: :yikes:

how did he think he could explain himself out of it? stupid frog!

KeithD
9th July 2006, 22:02
Stupid French......cheating Italians....the whole Cup is a meaningless farce until they start including technology.

baboyako
9th July 2006, 22:07
:peepwall: so who else thinks admin had money on the frenchies :Wave:

aromulus
9th July 2006, 22:38
What Zidane did was unforgivable, no matter what.

Finally Italy broke the penalty shoot-out jinx...

That's my next trip to Phil money sorted...
50 quid at 16/1, from the beginning...

ivor&mel
10th July 2006, 08:26
I still can't believe Zidane actually did that. I know he's no saint, but what the hell kind of provocation could make him react like that... in his last ever match... when France had been on top for most of the game... when he'd been playing well...?

Overall, a mediocre tournament. No great team emerged, and all the good stuff was in the Group stages.

KeithD
10th July 2006, 08:29
I gave up betting on the WC after a few group games when I realised it was all cheating/fixed.....at least in horse racing, it is only the rare race that is screwed, not a whole tournament shown to billions!

Best teams (no cheating) - Australia & Germany. Both can stand proud.

fontain
10th July 2006, 12:12
I think Ivory coast deserve a mention too, had a tough group but played well in every game and they came back from 2-1 down to win their last game 3-2 even though it was worthless

fontain
10th July 2006, 12:21
Just got sent this...

http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html (http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html)

Relieves the boredom for a minute or so :D

walesrob
10th July 2006, 12:27
Just got sent this...

http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html (http://tonaz.altervista.org/zidane.html)

Relieves the boredom for a minute or so :D

According to BBC, Zidanes been voted best player of the World Cup???!! wtf? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5154248.stm

ivor&mel
10th July 2006, 13:11
The vote was taken at half-time :)

Eljohno
10th July 2006, 15:28
I gave up betting on the WC after a few group games when I realised it was all cheating/fixed.....at least in horse racing, it is only the rare race that is screwed, not a whole tournament shown to billions!

Best teams (no cheating) - Australia & Germany. Both can stand proud.

I think recent events have showed that Horse Racing has its share of cheaters and fixers:rolleyes:

fontain
10th July 2006, 15:51
So apparently in bid to improve the reputation of sport, Sven is in charge of the Italy team for the alternative world cup which is being held in Zimbabwe, and being bankrolled by Roman Abramovich.

George Graham is in charge of wages, Lestor Piggot for taxes and Bruce Grobblar & Maradona are the goodwill ambassadors, Kieran Fallon is looking after the teas.

Collymore is in charge of pitches and hedges etc etc and everyones invited to the pre match roast!

:icon_lol:

walesrob
10th July 2006, 17:15
The vote was taken at half-time :)

So, er, lets get this straight, these journos are voting for the man of the match before the match ends. :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :NoNo: Even Graham Taylor made that point on Radio 5 today.

ivor&mel
10th July 2006, 17:17
It was player of the tournament, not man of the match...?

Is Graham Taylor still allowed out in the community? :yikes:

KeithD
11th July 2006, 08:49
I think recent events have showed that Horse Racing has its share of cheaters and fixers:rolleyes:

Not really, only the occassional race, but with gambling involved, it happens in every sport. I get a legal edge to make my profits, mostly from the betting exchanges.

Nice to see the HRA use good old British justice, guilty until proved innocent when your career has already been destroyed with no compensation......I'm Lovin' It :NoNo:

The last three major police race fixing court cases, all ended in farce & no convictions, with anyone who new anything about racing new the police didn't have a leg to stand on from day one.

Then their is the fact that the odd fixed race, has no bearing on my profits, as they are included in the overall stats, and whose to say a 'fixed' race doesn't go in the punters favour anyway? B)

ivor&mel
12th July 2006, 09:20
Anyone know what's happening about the Italian scandal? I thought they were supposed to announce the outcome on Monday? Are they just giving the players time to celebrate before telling them they'll be playing in Serie B or C next season?

KeithD
12th July 2006, 09:39
They were too ratted on Monday to bother, supposed to be Wednesday......Juve are expected to play in the Conference :)

Eljohno
12th July 2006, 10:43
I cannot understand why big clubs like Juve allow themselves to be so stupid....

ivor&mel
12th July 2006, 10:48
Maybe they become too big? Too arrogant? Glad we don't have any clubs like that :D

ivor&mel
12th July 2006, 10:54
Lippi's resigned... Wonder where he's off to then....

KeithD
12th July 2006, 12:38
Will the teams recover if relegated though, as all the big names will leave.

Look what happened to Nottingham Forest when they went down.

ivor&mel
12th July 2006, 13:03
Weren't Milan relegated before? Around 1980? Seems they survived it once already...

Who are Nottingham Forest? :rolleyes:

ivor&mel
13th July 2006, 13:10
Just to keep this thread going for another 4 years.. :D

The new FIFA ranking (http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,All-Jul-2006,00.html)s are out. Seems England's stunning performances have seen them rise from 10th to 5th! Come on! Stop laughing at the back!

Oh.. and the Philippines are down one to 192... And watch out for Equatorial Guinea - they're rocketing up :)

KeithD
13th July 2006, 20:49
Zidane has taken up bull fighting.....

ivor&mel
13th July 2006, 21:22
Zidane has taken up bull fighting.....
Apparently, what Materazzi really kept goading him with was "You can't do half the tricks that my old team-mate Duncan Ferguson used to do..."

ivor&mel
14th July 2006, 09:14
Oh... love this (http://www.theregister.com/2006/07/13/zidane_headbutt_outrage/)!!

KeithD
14th July 2006, 09:22
:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Eljohno
14th July 2006, 12:26
Oh... love this (http://www.theregister.com/2006/07/13/zidane_headbutt_outrage/)!!

Very funny Ivor!!!!:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

ivor&mel
21st July 2006, 11:11
For further amusement (http://www.devilducky.com/media/16569)

walesrob
21st July 2006, 11:29
For further amusement (http://www.devilducky.com/media/16569)

:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

KeithD
21st July 2006, 12:01
You sure it's not Robyn's family? :)

scotsfiancee
25th July 2006, 08:44
Yes, I got it...but we failed :NoNo: :NoNo: :Erm:

http://www.humorweb.no/bilder/beanaldo.jpg

scotsfiancee
9th August 2006, 10:32
Football in china and japan..Look at this video, is it funny too look at them?...Football (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TBaC3_yvW8) ** it hurts**:bigcry: :bigcry: