PDA

View Full Version : Meal with Parents!

tim34
22nd May 2006, 10:57
Hi All,

As some of you may or may not know i am visiting Judith very soon, only 12 days! Her parents are going to cook me a meal and i have been asked what i like etc.

So basically HELP! Being a complete novice to Filipino food i have not got a clue what to ask for. Obviuosly i would like to eat a Filipino dish but on the other hand i dont want to be served a meal that i cannot eat and upset the inlaws!

I like many foods but can someone suggest some dishes to get my mind thinking?

Many thanks,

Tim

ivor&mel
22nd May 2006, 11:38
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim &#064; May 22 2006, 10&#58;57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi All,

As some of you may or may not know i am visiting Judith very soon, only 12 days&#33; Her parents are going to cook me a meal and i have been asked what i like etc.

So basically HELP&#33; Being a complete novice to Filipino food i have not got a clue what to ask for. Obviuosly i would like to eat a Filipino dish but on the other hand i dont want to be served a meal that i cannot eat and upset the inlaws&#33;

Many thanks,

Tim
[/b][/quote]
Hi Tim,

As long as you like rice, build it up from there&#33; Are there any particular foods that you don&#39;t want? I guess a safe bet would be to suggest white fish, vegetables? What area of Phil is Judith from? Do they have any specialities that you could google about?

Ivor and Mel

tim34
22nd May 2006, 11:53
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; May 22 2006, 11&#58;38 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi Tim,

As long as you like rice, build it up from there&#33; Are there any particular foods that you don&#39;t want? I guess a safe bet would be to suggest white fish, vegetables? What area of Phil is Judith from? Do they have any specialities that you could google about?

Ivor and Mel
[/b][/quote]

Hi Ivor and Mel,

Judith comes from Binan, Laguna. I like rice and i am a lover of chinese food, i am not to keen on squid, muscles, shrimps that type of thing, vegetables is ok, i like brocoli etc.

I,m not sure about local dishes i will have to ask Judith. Reading previous posts i am scared to ask for meat just in case its Dog&#33;

Maybe a kind of egg fried rice with vegetables and white fish?

ivor&mel
22nd May 2006, 12:04
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim &#064; May 22 2006, 11&#58;53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi Ivor and Mel,

Judith comes from Binan, Laguna. I like rice and i am a lover of chinese food, i am not to keen on squid, muscles, shrimps that type of thing, vegetables is ok, i like brocoli etc.

I,m not sure about local dishes i will have to ask Judith. Reading previous posts i am scared to ask for meat just in case its Dog&#33;

Maybe a kind of egg fried rice with vegetables and white fish?
[/b][/quote]
Sounds a safe option style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif Just make sure you emphasize no seafood&#33; Mel&#39;s mother cooked for me, and I asked for just white fish and veg and it was fine - and I&#39;m a very choosy eater&#33; Just play safe with the first meal: I&#39;m sure there will be other opportunites to be more daring, should you wish to do so style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Ivor and Mel

ervenescence
22nd May 2006, 12:46
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i am scared to ask for meat just in case its Dog&#33;

[/b][/quote]
hehe dont worry, you&#39;ll get use to it once you try dogmeat. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I would recommend you to speak to your Judith of what kind of foods that you likes and dislikes.

Hey, but if you are that adventurous, you will not be scared of trying something different? But just to be safe, dont try if its unfamiliar to you or else you will be ended spending your time in the loo.
And by the way, dont forget to bring mineral water with you, don&#39;t drink tap water.

tim34
22nd May 2006, 18:08
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; May 22 2006, 12&#58;46 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
hehe dont worry, you&#39;ll get use to it once you try dogmeat. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I would recommend you to speak to your Judith of what kind of foods that you likes and dislikes.

Hey, but if you are that adventurous, you will not be scared of trying something different? But just to be safe, dont try if its unfamiliar to you or else you will be ended spending your time in the loo.
And by the way, dont forget to bring mineral water with you, don&#39;t drink tap water.
[/b][/quote]

I am pretty adventurous when it comes to food, although sometimes my stomach doesnt share my optimism&#33;

So i will make sure i check out what i,m eating&#33; I have spoke to Judith and i think its going to be a rice, chicken and vegetable thingy to start of with&#33;

I am also going to take some pictures of my 2 beloved collie dogs Bob and Max&#33; just to share over the dining table style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif .

I am not a huge water drinker? I do like my coffee and Tea, that will be ok if water is boiled well? In the evening&#39;s i may have to be forced to down a couple vodka and cokes style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif purely for medicinal purposes of course&#33;

I made the mistake of saying i,m not a bad cook, Judith has told me that her mum wants to try my cooking&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif

ivor&mel
22nd May 2006, 18:31
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim &#064; May 22 2006, 06&#58;08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I made the mistake of saying i,m not a bad cook, Judith has told me that her mum wants to try my cooking&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif
[/b][/quote]
Big mistake&#33; And irreversible, I&#39;m afraid. Better start planning style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

tim34
22nd May 2006, 18:41
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ivor&mel &#064; May 22 2006, 06&#58;31 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Big mistake&#33; And irreversible, I&#39;m afraid. Better start planning style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

I had better pack my apron then&#33; and start thumbing through my cook books&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

I,m sure i can rustle something up, although not sure if i can get ingredients for a full on sunday roast&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif

deepete
22nd May 2006, 18:49
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim &#064; May 22 2006, 06&#58;41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I had better pack my apron then&#33; and start thumbing through my cook books&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

I,m sure i can rustle something up, although not sure if i can get ingredients for a full on sunday roast&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif
[/b][/quote]

Better pack a decent oven as well cos I think you may be in for a surprise. You could stick to steak in a red wine sauce, just make sure you know the origins of the meat style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif chips come out alright though. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

tim34
22nd May 2006, 18:52
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; May 22 2006, 06&#58;49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Better pack a decent oven as well cos I think you may be in for a surprise. You could stick to steak in a red wine sauce, just make sure you know the origins of the meat style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif chips come out alright though. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

I did wonder about the oven situation, i ,m not sure if Cathay will allow a microwave as extra baggage? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

andypaul
22nd May 2006, 19:35
My Wife studied and lived near by with her family in laguna.

The foods were not to exotic, for me and previously i was only used to the local chinese.

Lots of chicken, pork and fish.

Ask for crispy pata if you like roast pork.

Another is chicken, pork adobo which is a common dish.

Beef steak which is soy sauce and onions with fried beef if i remeber correctly.

If you like peanut flavouring how about kare kare?

Loads of fairly simple dishs.

I very much doubt your family will feed you dog. If your worried go with them to a SM and help buy the foods style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Admin
23rd May 2006, 08:49
When I first went to Davao, and stayed at the wife&#39;s aunties, withing two days I had a bought a microwave, deep fat frier, installed an electric shower, etc, and it only cost a few quid style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

Buy the way, take your OWN coffee, most Asian stuff is very bitter and crap.

mrsfrivolity
23rd May 2006, 14:38
It&#39;s best to let your lady know what you are and aren&#39;t ready to eat. I&#39;m sure she&#39;ll appreciate it too. She wouldn&#39;t want to serve you anything that you wouldn&#39;t be impressed with.

Talking about mistakes...I made a mistake of leaving it all to my family to be in charge of what food to serve Bill on pamanhikan day. They had Pancit Malabon* specially made for him because they wanted to serve something traditional. Well...Bill nearly cried when he saw it. He was giving me pleading looks which I immediately understood to mean as "save me?" As I didn&#39;t want to upset my family, I simply made an excuse that Bill is having tummy problems and could only eat plain rice and chicken adobo... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

*white noodles with yellow sauce (don&#39;t know how that come about), topped with mixed vegetables, eggs and very inky-squid.

Pauldo
23rd May 2006, 17:24
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tim &#064; May 22 2006, 10&#58;57 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi All,

As some of you may or may not know i am visiting Judith very soon, only 12 days&#33; Her parents are going to cook me a meal and i have been asked what i like etc.

So basically HELP&#33; Being a complete novice to Filipino food i have not got a clue what to ask for. Obviuosly i would like to eat a Filipino dish but on the other hand i dont want to be served a meal that i cannot eat and upset the inlaws&#33;

Many thanks,

Tim
[/b][/quote]

A lot may depend on how wealthy the family is. I&#39;m not saying this in a bad way, but I know some lower income Filipinos see guts, bone gristle etc as normal everyday consumables, whereas a better off family will be eating a better cut of meat, for want of a better way of putting it.

I&#39;ve had meals in street level restaurants that consist of ground up bone in a sort of soup. Or catfish, whole, with a million needle like bones mixed in. Or solid chunks of fat and skin, with bristles still on, in a cold watery greasy soup. All totally inedible, even to my well travelled palate.

I&#39;ve also had the &#39;proper&#39; version of the same meals, and they taste great.

Even at work on my ship the Filipino cooks occasionally put out some &#39;traditional&#39; Pilipino meals that none of us ex-pats will touch. I call it &#39;Road Kill Cafe&#39; on them days.

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif