PDA

View Full Version : Arranging the Wedding

baboyako
21st May 2006, 14:38
Ok, I'd just like to run these thing by you guys.

I have a CNI from last year, but I guess that is invalid now & must get a new one. These are my new plans..

June 5th - apply for new CNI
July 8th - pick up CNI
July 14th - fly to davao
July 17th - apply for marriage licence in davao & fix date
July 21st - return to london
July 24th - place notice in newspaper
August 18th - fly to davao
August 21week - wedding
August 28th - present certified true copy of certificate to UK embassy in Makati.
Sept 1st - return to london

As I see it I have the following constraints.

wedding must occur within 120days of issue of licence.
wedding must occur within 90days of CNI issue.
notice of marriage must be placed in newspaper at least 21 days before wedding.

does that all make sense? or have i overlooked something important?

walesrob
21st May 2006, 14:57
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 21 2006, 02&#58;38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

I&#39;m quite sure theres no need to do this, (or is there?), but as with most things in the Philippines, theres a way to bypass this. Elsa and I didn&#39;t need to place any notices in any newspapers when we married in Palo.

baboyako
21st May 2006, 15:10
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 21 2006, 02&#58;57 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I&#39;m quite sure theres no need to do this, (or is there?), but as with most things in the Philippines, theres a way to bypass this. Elsa and I didn&#39;t need to place any notices in any newspapers when we married in Palo.
[/b][/quote]

This is the site I was looking at.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1038489367803 (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1038489367803)

Having read it again, it looks like I must take my UK CNI to Makati & exchange it for a &#39;local CNI&#39;.

In which case that needs to happen around June 17th style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Cuckoo.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

I get the distinct impression there are lots of short cuts that be made by paying out a few pesos?

andypaul
21st May 2006, 15:19
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 21 2006, 02&#58;38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok, I&#39;d just like to run these thing by you guys.

I have a CNI from last year, but I guess that is invalid now & must get a new one. These are my new plans..

June 5th - apply for new CNI
July 8th - pick up CNI
July 14th - fly to davao
July 17th - apply for marriage licence in davao & fix date
August 18th - fly to davao
August 21week - wedding
August 28th - present certified true copy of certificate to UK embassy in Makati.
Sept 1st - return to london

As I see it I have the following constraints.

wedding must occur within 120days of issue of licence.
wedding must occur within 90days of CNI issue.

does that all make sense? or have i overlooked something important?
[/b][/quote]

Cni has to be converted at the uk embassy in manila before you apply to get married. Simply announce at the gate at the Embassy, you want to convert your cni. You sit around, eventually get called up the adminstator walks around a bit (make sure you give the exact amount) otherwise they go wandering around looking for change.

Not sure about the newspaper bit.

walesrob
21st May 2006, 15:32
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 21 2006, 03&#58;10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1038489367803 (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1038489367803)

Having read it again, it looks like I must take my UK CNI to Makati & exchange it for a &#39;local CNI&#39;.

In which case that needs to happen around June 17th style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Cuckoo.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

I get the distinct impression there are lots of short cuts that be made by paying out a few pesos?
[/b][/quote]

OK, just to clarify, you need to apply for CNI at local registrar in UK, wait for 21 days as you said, then within 120 days AFTER issue of the CNI, you must present this at the Manila British Embassy for conversion to Legal Capacity, which is reconized in the Philippines. After the issue of Legal Capacity, you and your lady will need to notify the local town hall (in your case Davao) of intended wedding, making sure theres a 21 day notice period, but in our case, it was only 14 days.

Also, you said
"August 28th - present certified true copy of certificate to UK embassy in Makati."

You will need to send off the marraige certificate to be certified by the NSO, as only they can certify any marraige documents for weddings in the Philippines, this takes a few weeks (unless you pay extra for "express" style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif ), and there is no need anyway for you to notify the Embassy either (not being negative, but they couldn&#39;t care less style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif ). You will only really need to present a certified true copy of the marraige certificate to the Embassy when your lady applies for the Visa for UK.

So as you can see, you can do the whole thing in one trip to the Philippines, rather than 2.

Hope this makes sense, post back if you need clarification.

andypaul
21st May 2006, 15:34
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 21 2006, 03&#58;10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Well we had a distant realtive in the muncipal office, help sort the paper work out. No money changed hands but her help was invaluable in making sure things were sorted both before mariage and after the marriage. She even got the Mayor to allow us to take a group photo in his office. I can close my eyes and still see the bemused people either already talking to the mayor or waiting in the room looked shocked as a wedding party, photographers and onlookers from the muncipal office all burst in.
The mintue the papers were signed she was doing what she could to get a hurry on with sending them asap to Manila.

baboyako
21st May 2006, 16:10
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 21 2006, 03&#58;32 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You will need to send off the marraige certificate to be certified by the NSO, as only they can certify any marraige documents for weddings in the Philippines, this takes a few weeks ..
[/b][/quote]

Ok next question... If the embassy doesn&#39;t actually care about the certificate - then why bother?

We will have the original certificate anyway. And that is what goes into the spouse visa application correct?

walesrob
21st May 2006, 16:33
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 21 2006, 04&#58;10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok next question... If the embassy doesn&#39;t actually care about the certificate - then why bother?

We will have the original certificate anyway. And that is what goes into the spouse visa application correct?
[/b][/quote]

The marraige certificate MUST be certified by the NSO in Philippines before it can be used in any legal capacity, ie, visa applications, setting up bank accounts, buying/selling property, applications for passports, etc. When your lady applies for the Visa, you must have the CERTIFIED copy of the marraige certificate, NOT the original un-certified (although you may need it anyway), they state this quite clearly in visa application information. I found this on the Embassy website:

If you are being sponsored by your spouse, i.e. your husband, wife or legal civil partner, you will also need to provide in addition to the standard requirements:
- Copies of your sponsors’ passport (personal details page and all the stamped pages)
- A copy of your Marriage Contract on the National Statistics Office (NSO) security paper. (Only if the marriage took place in the Philippines)
- Annulment or divorce papers relating to any previous marriage or civil partnership of either you or your sponsor, if applicable.
- If you have children from any previous or present relationship we will require birth certificates of each child on the National Statistics Office (NSO) security paper. If your child was born outside of the Philippines then the original birth certificate is required.

You said
"Ok next question... If the embassy doesn&#39;t actually care about the certificate - then why bother?"

The Embassy would not be interested unless its for a Visa application or other more pressing matters. I didn&#39;t do it, and we had no problems with Elsas Visa application. I would have thought that the Embassy knows you have got married anyway, as you will give them the CNI, which they keep a copy of, and issue a Legal Capacity.

baboyako
21st May 2006, 16:53
I&#39;ve got a migraine coming on style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

At least it sounds like the certification can be done by asawa ko, when I am back in blighty.