PDA

View Full Version : The KOREAN are coming

lizaphil
30th April 2008, 17:32
There’s a Korean invasion taking place in the Philippines. In case you haven’t noticed, Koreans are all over Metro Manila, Baguio, Angeles City, Cebu, Cagayan de Oro and Davao City operating honky tonks, nightclubs, restaurants and opening up schools and academies teaching English, their favorite enterprise, displacing Filipinos in retail trade and small enterprises.

Bureau of Immigration and Deportation records show that for the past three or four years, a record number of some 300,000 Koreans came to the Philippines, mostly as tourists.

The same records show that less than 30,000 have been documented or authorized to work or set up businesses. Santa Banana, where are the rest of the undocumented Koreans?

There are actually two kinds of Koreans coming to the Philippines. There are the well-mannered and educated Koreans. But there, too, are those who come from the “bundoks” of South Korea. They are uncouth, ill mannered and abrasive, throwing their weight around just because they seem to be awash with money. You see them in hotel lobbies and even restaurants with their feet up as they do back home, and in shopping malls being welcomed by salesgirls with dollar signs in their eyes.

This latter type I saw in Cebu when I was there last weekend. In the pricey Mactan Shangrila Resort where we stayed, they lounged at the lobby with their feet up as if they owned the place.

The problem is that Immigration Commissioner Marcelino Libanan and his boys are treating Koreans with kid gloves for fear that the Korean government will retaliate against some 100,000 Filipinos working in South Korea.

But, my gulay, shall we allow them to ride roughshod on us Filipinos, even violating our immigration and other laws just because of the mighty Korean won? If our migrants violate laws in Korea, doesn’t the Republic of South Korea drop the axe on them, too?

andypaul
30th April 2008, 17:36
Welcome to the global market

ginapeterb
30th April 2008, 19:45
Lizaphil,

I think Andy kind of marked your card, globalization is with us to stay, but don't despair, the Koreans throw their weight around maybe, but on the other hand, just remember how your authorities treat foreigners in the Philippines, they dont want them to own anything, don't want them to have an ATM card, or hinder them getting one, you cannot get a telephone put in your own house because you are a foreigner, and don't tell me it doesnt happen, cos it happened to yours truly.

When it comes to insular protectionism, the Philippines is one of the most forthright when it comes to ensuring foreigners don't get ahead.

We all live with globalization, you live with it.

And as for violating immigration laws, Filipino's know every trick in the book how to get around the immigration laws of my country, tricks that many of us would never have thought of, and there are over 60,000 of Tago ng Tago Filipinos in London alone, come off your soap box Lizaphil, and then clean your contact lenses, then you might see clearly that what is happening with the koreans happens the whole world over.

Kismet
1st May 2008, 03:01
The Korean Invasion in the Philippines have started years ago. If you're familiar with Kalayaan Avenue near eliptical road in Quezon city, there are few buildings that are owned by Koreans, they have businesses in there. some are legal of course.

I think some koreans come here basically to improve their english language skills. i have a few friends tutoring koreans. In a way, that is good for some Filipinos because they get income.

jencha8569
1st May 2008, 05:22
Koreans are here for some reasons i think
1. improve language skills (its cheap here to study english than Korea)
2. business
3. just visiting (we are their neighbors)
4. family members are settled here already among others

as what sir pete says what is happening to us happens the whole world globalization it is.

kimmi
1st May 2008, 12:32
Korean is coming, same as Filipinos are coming all over the world..

sam_althea
1st May 2008, 12:40
good thing is that they generate jobs too! back in the Ph they paid me babbling infront of them to only find out they didn't understand me as they are sometimes ZERO english...800 pesos per hour is good enough at least!

Ann07
1st May 2008, 14:54
:cwm34::cwm34:when i was in st paul makati i had few koreans students and in cebu too lots of them...they were all so nice and their parents... but find it hard to communicate though because of their limited english knowledge...:cwm34:

Les_lady888
1st May 2008, 14:54
Oh sorry to say but I had a bad experience with Koreans. They are noted to be the "salisi" aliens. Although I know that not all is and I know also that in every corner of the world there will always be bad and good people, fools and clever ones. So at work, we are always on guard :NEW4: when a Korean steps in most especially if he wants to have his bills exchanged to smaller denominations. :REGamblMoney01HL1:

Les_lady888
1st May 2008, 14:57
LOL Ann I have the same experience too. Im not so good with oral English but speaking to a Korean makes me worst :doh

keithAngel
1st May 2008, 16:49
LOL Ann I have the same experience too. Im not so good with oral English but speaking to a Korean makes me worst :doh

Brockwurst?

Ann07
1st May 2008, 18:09
paulinians are encouraged to speak english as their first language and i feel so sorry for the koreans. I always find it hard because after class, i have to repeat it again and again the lesson to them in the office:Erm::Erm::Erm::Erm::doh:doh

lizaphil
1st May 2008, 19:09
Lizaphil,

I think Andy kind of marked your card, globalization is with us to stay, but don't despair, the Koreans throw their weight around maybe, but on the other hand, just remember how your authorities treat foreigners in the Philippines, they dont want them to own anything, don't want them to have an ATM card, or hinder them getting one, you cannot get a telephone put in your own house because you are a foreigner, and don't tell me it doesnt happen, cos it happened to yours truly.

When it comes to insular protectionism, the Philippines is one of the most forthright when it comes to ensuring foreigners don't get ahead.

We all live with globalization, you live with it.

And as for violating immigration laws, Filipino's know every trick in the book how to get around the immigration laws of my country, tricks that many of us would never have thought of, and there are over 60,000 of Tago ng Tago Filipinos in London alone, come off your soap box Lizaphil, and then clean your contact lenses, then you might see clearly that what is happening with the koreans happens the whole world over.

i should i told you all i did not write it,i found it on onother forum i thought it might be of interest
my bad

bornatbirth
1st May 2008, 23:14
what website was in on?

jencha8569
2nd May 2008, 08:03
its ok lizaphil :xxgrinning--00xx3:

we here to post our views and opinions:D

happy birthday bornatbirth..hehe

wheres the beer?lol

lizaphil
2nd May 2008, 15:09
what website was in on?

hi there,

i found that on ac2 forum website,because my hubby's member on there,so i think it is good to post on here,

but???? im really sorry guy's

thanks

lizaphil
2nd May 2008, 15:12
its ok lizaphil :xxgrinning--00xx3:

we here to post our views and opinions:D

happy birthday bornatbirth..hehe

wheres the beer?lol

hello jecha8569,
are you from leyte???

i am from abuyog leyte,1.5 hours from tacloban

jencha8569
2nd May 2008, 15:15
hello jecha8569,
are you from leyte???

i am from abuyog leyte,1.5 hours from tacloban

im from tacloban :D

nice to meet you liz:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
2nd May 2008, 18:17
64096[/COLOR]]hi there,

i found that on ac2 forum website,because my hubby's member on there,so i think it is good to post on here,

but???? im really sorry guy's

thanks

Hey freedom of speech don't be sorry :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Like jencha8569 writes we are all here to post and learn from others and have a laugh at mr admin:D

kimmi
2nd May 2008, 18:19
Hey freedom of speech don't be sorry :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Like jencha8569 writes we are all here to post and learn from others and have a laugh at mr admin:D

I agree with that, :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

piccolapiccolo
3rd May 2008, 11:13
Yeah, korean invasion is quite evident but thousands of filipino teachers and business establishments all over the country benefit from it.I used to be a an ESL teacher for 3 years when I was still in Ph and I can really attest the good gain that PH has experienced.It provides jobs to fresh grads and those not ligible to teach in public or big private schools.Welcoming this neighbors is also good for cultural exchange and/or awareness and of course..economy.I had a great experience with them though.

With regard to ill- mannered/abusive, they are just 5 out of one hundred.In some cases, its my fellows pushing them to behave negatively.Thats according to my 3 years of observation and experience guys!

chino
7th May 2008, 21:39
have to agree though it started along time ago!