PDA

View Full Version : Pinoy Newbie - London Info =)

leomar
29th April 2008, 04:53
Hi, I'm new here in this forum. I'm currently in Singapore working for a bank. I heard the price of anything there is 3 times more than the price here. I have plans of applying a job in the UK but I need to know some basic info first so i can survive there.

How is the accommodation there? Here we're renting a flat for SGD2.6k (700 for me) approx 20% of my budget.

How much should i allocate for food/rent/utilities/transpo on a monthly basis?

Aside from the 40% tax, what is budget heavy in the UK?

thank you very much for your valuable info!:)

jencha8569
29th April 2008, 05:33
welcome to the forum leomar
people here will be willing to answer ur questions
just keep in touch

leomar
29th April 2008, 06:57
thanks jen!
hope to hear from the London guys =)

lil John
29th April 2008, 07:01
Welcome to the forum.
I know this doesn't answer your question but here in the states gas and food can take a big bite out of your budget

KeithD
29th April 2008, 08:49
In the UK we can no longer afford fuel, and it is likely to reach S$4.50 a litre by the end of the year. Utility bills are up around 16% this year....Food is up around 14%........and the government think we are all :furious3: mathematically stupid and tell us inflation is at 2.5% :action-smiley-081: ......and they wonder why voting turnout struggles to hit 30%.....They are the dumb :censored: :cwm23:

Average pay rise is 2% so money is devaluing fast, and 10,000 of people are now much poorer than this time last year. Welcome to the UK :butthead:

leomar
29th April 2008, 09:11
In the UK we can no longer afford fuel, and it is likely to reach S$4.50 a litre by the end of the year. Utility bills are up around 16% this year....Food is up around 14%........and the government think we are all :furious3: mathematically stupid and tell us inflation is at 2.5% :action-smiley-081: ......and they wonder why voting turnout struggles to hit 30%.....They are the dumb :censored: :cwm23:

Average pay rise is 2% so money is devaluing fast, and 10,000 of people are now much poorer than this time last year. Welcome to the UK :butthead:

wow! life is really getting worse day by day, i don't think it only happens in the UK but same scenario is happening around the globe. You can hear the same rant from the locals and expats in SG as well.

Thanks for the very detailed information, hope i didn't ruin your morning by those "flashbacks" of reality.

Anyway, if we translate the percentage allocation into pounds (is it quid?) how much should i spend on:

Rent -
Food -
Bills (Electricity, Water, Gas?) -
Credit Cards -
Transpo -
Socials -

on a monthly basis? I know it depends on the lifestyle but i just want to have an idea on the expected expenses. Oh, before i forget, so if someone offers me a job in the UK, how much should i be looking at so i can have a decent life with a reasonable savings (25%-30% of gross salary) after the huge tax?

I really appreciate your help guys!

So gas is really pain in the behind, same with John in the US.

jencha8569
29th April 2008, 17:39
yes indeed england is expensive place to live .
rents are high but depends where you live .
renting a room in a shared house can cost anywhere
between £250-£400 approx .
petrol prices are high too .
food and going out etc is expensive too.
but if you earn a good wage then you will be ok.
what will you do here ? what job you planning
on getting ?
good luck with it anyway.

kimmi
29th April 2008, 18:31
on getting ?

:xxgrinning--00xx3::Erm::Erm:

andypaul
29th April 2008, 19:12
Hi, I'm new here in this forum. I'm currently in Singapore working for a bank. I heard the price of anything there is 3 times more than the price here. I have plans of applying a job in the UK but I need to know some basic info first so i can survive there.

How is the accommodation there? Here we're renting a flat for SGD2.6k (700 for me) approx 20% of my budget.

What you hoping to be paid in London 40 percent tax doesn't affect all wage earners only those over a certain amount.

Where do you planned to be based in london. You could rent a room for 30 quid a week prehaps in some areas while you could buy a house for a 10 million or more.

700 sing dollars ia 261 pounds today

2.6k sing dollars is 969 pounds today

I presume thats a month?

To get an idea look on places like rightmove and find a propety

Transport varies depending on where you are in relation to your work. London is devided into zones to get an idea look on the http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ site but many leave just outside of london as prices are cheaper and commute in each day as most trains head for the centre of town.

If you give me more of an idea of where you plan to stay in london for how long and doing what then I could give you a better idea.

leomar
30th April 2008, 00:51
hi andypaul! Thanks for lending a helping hand.

Yes, the prices i qouted for my current rent is on a monhtly basis.

I'm looking at Canary Wharf area because i think the major banks are located there. I have no idea where to stay yet, coz it would be my first time there.
I don't mind travelling 30-45 mins from Canary Wharf if the prices are cheaper.

What wage range will be affected by the 40% tax? IS there a site where i can see range of salary for certain type of jobs?

I really appreciate your help!

leomar
30th April 2008, 00:55
on getting ?

Yep, i actually intend to share a flat with fellow pinoys if i can find a good place. The price you qouted is within my budget here in SG :) What will be a good wage range so i can live with a decent savings? I will be applying to a global bank but i have no idea yet on the salary :)

Thank you very much Jen!

Banana
30th April 2008, 01:12

Personally I would lay off heavily biased political posting like this.

If we can no longer afford fuel - why does the UK have one of the highest (2nd or 3rd I believe) per capita car ownership in the world. Why are there cars on the road going places?

Food inflation is currently running at 5.5% (unless you read the Daily Mail)

Fuel 6.2%

Of course both of the above are due to global issues.

Average Earning Feb 2007 to Feb 2008 rose 3.7%

I am sure that if you look at similar statistics from 1997 to 2007 you will be very happy.

KeithD
30th April 2008, 09:23
Are you on another planet you prat? :doh Another gullible human :NoNo:

aromulus
30th April 2008, 09:37

A "Guardian" reader....????:Erm:

On Sunday I went to fuel my car with diesel £ 1.15.9 per litre...
Monday afternoon I went to the same place to top up for the rest of the week £1.17.9 per litre.....:Erm:
The increase was not announced, I don't think....

Inflation is rampant. Money is scarce and I feel the pinch because my sales up to date are way down, compared to the previous year.:NoNo:
I better stop, it is not my rant here.....:bigcry:

leomar
30th April 2008, 12:10

I'm looking at Canary Wharf area because i think the major banks are located there. I have no idea where to stay yet, coz it would be my first time there.

What wage range will be affected by the 40% tax? IS there a site where i can see range of salary for certain type of jobs?

i don't like to be an :censored: but i would like qoute myself for to update this thread.

Banana
30th April 2008, 14:36

Charming.

KeithD
30th April 2008, 14:38
Your welcome. Especially someone who couldn't see the truth if it was shafted up a back entry.

joebloggs
30th April 2008, 14:48
statistics :action-smiley-081:

put your head in an oven and your legs in the fridge and a statistician will tell you your ok :xxgrinning--00xx3:

gov figs show inflation at a few % :icon_lol: :D:icon_lol:

was this from the same people who said only a few 1000s eastern europeans would come to the uk :Erm:.. oh out by a figure of at least 1000% :icon_lol:

why do people have so many cars, well second hand ones are pretty cheap, why do people drive, you have you tried pubic transport :laugher:

average earnings rose by 3.7% , might have done for those who got a rise or those who were not made redundant :doh

joebloggs
30th April 2008, 14:55

oh i forgot to ask, what passport/visa do you have to enter and work in the uk ?

leomar
30th April 2008, 15:26
@joebloggs

i'm holding philippines passport, i have employment pass in singapore but i don't have visa to UK yet...

im going to apply but first i want to know my expected expenses, may i know any idea from you sir?

joebloggs
30th April 2008, 15:34
@joebloggs

i'm holding philippines passport, i have employment pass in singapore but i don't have visa to UK yet...

im going to apply but first i want to know my expected expenses, may i know any idea from you sir?

your going to need to either find an employer who can apply for a workpermit for you, and depending on how skilled you are that could be a problem,

or if you are skilled have at least a degree, young and you have a good paid job already, you could try the HSMP route. which allows you to come to the uk without a workpermit or job offer

cost of living is high in london..

sam_althea
30th April 2008, 15:35
hi leomar!
better yet search for yourself, sometimes they have different point of views esp on financial matters as other people live on extravagant and others on meager income...
better stay here in Belfast (Northern Ireland) one of the cheapest accommodation in the UK

leomar
30th April 2008, 17:47
@sam

thanks! what do you mean by cheap? how much range?

guys can you give me in terms of pounds in these category?

Rent -
Food -
Credit Cards -
Transpo -
Socials -

Lets assume that I'm employed already, stays 45-60mins away from canary wharfe. How much is my expected expenses broken down into these needs?

Thanks very much!

Eljohno
30th April 2008, 17:55
Things can be cheaper here in N.Ireland especially rentals but then again our wage over here is much less than London!!

andypaul
30th April 2008, 18:03

If we can no longer afford fuel - why does the UK have one of the highest (2nd or 3rd I believe) per capita car ownership in the world. Why are there cars on the road going places?

Food inflation is currently running at 5.5% (unless you read the Daily Mail)

Fuel 6.2%

Of course both of the above are due to global issues.

Average Earning Feb 2007 to Feb 2008 rose 3.7%

I am sure that if you look at similar statistics from 1997 to 2007 you will be very happy.

So you belive house prices are down 1 percent since last year in London?
Forget massive multi million pound houses im talking about the surburbs where normal people live houses are simply not moving. The ones i do see advertised and sold are normally being sold at a far lower price than expected as the seller as to sell as the rental vaule has dropped below the mortage payments.

I think the 30 percent drop in the year being mentioned by a member of the monetary policy committee is more likely. But could be bigger i think as people simply will not buy houses and certainly will not be reckless when buying them as in the last few years. Any one for the 90 percent drop which happened in japan in the 90's?

Why has our food shopping bill increase by i would say 30 percent or so? This includes goods such as rice and products from asia as well as tescos.
We have not changed our tastes if anything cut back and the money we have to spend is up 30 percent.

We don't all eat the goverments standard food basket which will be the most obscure items if any thing like the retail inflation items.

Most people this year will be glad to keep their jobs and i doubt many will actually get 3.7 percent increase.

The increases are not just down to global issues, the mismanagment of the british ecomony both by British banks the goverment and the people with stupid credit and risk takings have affected sterling and liquidty.
The live for today forget tomorrow idea has umm got to the nasty part.

I presume from the 1997 to 2007 figures i presume your talking about grodon browns short term sort out the british ecomony.
what did that include selling 3g rights and selling gold reserves off when they were at one of the lowest prices in recent history. then the luck of the huge amounts of cheap labour which swept ino the country which is all now moving on and taking its money with it. leaving us with a huge underclass of british potential workers who can't or will not work for the low rates and poor condtions offered by many employers.
Im glad the estimates of growth both gord and mr campbells are so postive shame we are unlikely to meet them and have to increase borrowing.
Which as the present and the future will shown is as buggered as it was with the tories.

The labour party is asking for loans its taken to be defer is it by 10 years as they are asically broke. Good to see they manage them selves so well.

Statsics mean bugger all we can twist them all any way we like we all know that.

aromulus
30th April 2008, 18:13
Your welcome. Especially someone who couldn't see the truth if it was shafted up a back entry.

Told you once before.... :doh

A guardian reader and probably with a non job like a five -a-day outreach personal my-tax-money-public-spender-for-the-sake-of-it....:NoNo:

Cuckoo land salary anyway....:rolleyes:

andypaul
30th April 2008, 18:46
@sam

thanks! what do you mean by cheap? how much range?

guys can you give me in terms of pounds in these category?

Rent -
Food -
Credit Cards -
Transpo -
Socials -

Lets assume that I'm employed already, stays 45-60mins away from canary wharfe. How much is my expected expenses broken down into these needs?

Thanks very much!

as i said its very hard to say exactly

But if i was moving into a house share in greater london ie the surburbs

Rent if i was sharing a house might be at least 200 to 300 pounds some maybe more as it depends on the room if its furnished and what bills are included.say 300 to 400 if budgeting. You will also need normally one months rent in advance as a deposit. Some firms will have firms they use to help find accomdation some better than others from what i hear.

food very hard to say and also if you don't want to eat basic supermarket food and crave say certain phill and asian foods which may not be avaiable in the supermarket i would budget at least 30 to 40 pounds a week. I've included a slight rise what its likely to be in say 3 months or so.

Bills (gas,water and elec) this can vary instead of AC, heating is the big consumer of engery in the home. So worth checking the insulation in the house or flat is it centrally heated, does it have double glazing which all help make more efficent heating of houses and flats.

engery bills on avg, an indepent website (martin lewis moneysaving website) say likely to rise by 35 percent late summer

credit cards well thats up to you and what you spend i guess.

Transport depends on the zones a monthly travelcard for zone 1 to 3 is 105 pounds a zone 1-6 is about 170 pounds a month. Season tickets on overground trains if you are based out of london can be quite a bit more but your likely to save on rent and general costs compared to nearer the centre of london.

social agian up to you but if you want to dine out once a week (a meal for one can be from 5 pounds or under for a mac dees or a kfc say to 100 pounds or more a head in a swanky resturant. In a avg chain resturant you might get a meal from 10 to 20 quid per head.
To go out on the town say two nights q week. you might need at least 50 quid a week. Again its very hard to say.

So to conclude from my ramblings me i think i would need at least

1000 pounds a week

300 to 400 rent

200 for travel

160 for food shopping

bills 80 pounds

any left over on social

All very rough but be warned the banking market in london is being pounded at the moment where it concerns jobs more are being shed than taken on.

sam_althea
30th April 2008, 18:57
here's my honest estimate on a weekly basis....(living in Belfast)

food--- 40 (shopping in Tesco or Asda)
house---150 (shared, weekly) 450 house (per month)
transport--60 (city centre only, prepaid card good for 1 month)
electric--40(but if u live alone it could be cheaper)
gas---100(for central heating)
social---(it depends on how you live with it)

andypaul
30th April 2008, 19:02

plus a few flights over to city of london airport to get to work in the city of london

sam_althea
30th April 2008, 19:03
correct!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
30th April 2008, 20:44

The two singapore finance company i know well are both in the west one in knightsbridge and another just off marble arch. As are many other finance companies now.

As well as Canary wharf many other banks and finace companies are in the Liverpool street area such as ubs for example.

What actual part of banking are you in?

Banana
30th April 2008, 20:56
Good to see that the discussion has descended into personal insults led by the owner of this website.

It's a shame that people can't engage in a rational discussion. Says a lot about them and their argument that they resort to pseudo insults like "Guardian Reader".

I shall leave you to your tainted view of the world "gentlemen"

andypaul
30th April 2008, 21:42
Good to see that the discussion has descended into personal insults led by the owner of this website.

It's a shame that people can't engage in a rational discussion. Says a lot about them and their argument that they resort to pseudo insults like "Guardian Reader".

I shall leave you to your tainted view of the world "gentlemen"

Still waiting for you to explain how you can belive such low figures?

Yes we know the goverment churn out those figures. But strangely they have no relation to what people experience in the real world in various parts of the country.

Leomar needs whats actually happening to normal people, not what the goverment would like us to belive.

Banana
30th April 2008, 21:52
The statistics are produced by the independent national statistics office. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/

The government doesn't churn out the figures instead they are produced by people that know what they are talking about. If you are better at them at producing relevant stats then why not let them know - I am sure they are waiting with bated breath for your innovative insight.

If I were Leomar and I had a choice between the independent stats office and some people on a website - I know the view that I would choose,

KeithD
30th April 2008, 22:05

Well it is my job to make it quite clear when people are spouting out utter drivel.

And as people on here are questioning YOUR comments, and not mine, guess who is wrong and who is right? :Hellooo:

aromulus
30th April 2008, 22:08
The statistics are produced by the independent national statistics office. http://www.statistics.gov.uk/

The government doesn't churn out the figures instead they are produced by people that know what they are talking about. If you are better at them at producing relevant stats then why not let them know - I am sure they are waiting with bated breath for your innovative insight.

If I were Leomar and I had a choice between the independent stats office and some people on a website - I know the view that I would choose,

Indipendent Stats Office is not indipendent at all, they are prone to adjust according to their masters whims and orders.
You can call it "Creative Accounting".
As we have happened to have seen in the past.

In the past few years I grew to mistrust anything with ".gov.uk"....:NoNo:

This government in particular has a history of lies and subterfuge.

As to the original poster, rents and cost of living vary a lot around Britain.
I personally find london terribly expensive.

bornatbirth
30th April 2008, 22:15
u tell them banana!

and stop reading the guardian i much prefer the daily star myself as only my inflation goes up after seeing the latest lucy pinder photo lol

but to be honest with you why pay attention to any statistics when the u only need to worry about wat really affects u? and life in england is just so hard lol

london or singapore? er let me think singapore,its one boring place but you cant really beat the weather!

bornatbirth
30th April 2008, 22:17
And as people on here are questioning YOUR comments, and not mine, guess who is wrong and who is right? :Hellooo:

but u can mod anyone who does :icon_lol:

andypaul
30th April 2008, 22:23

people put in place by the goverment

On 8 January 2008, after consulting ministers in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, the minister of the Cabinet Office appointed five non-executive members

leomar
30th April 2008, 23:56
as i said its very hard to say exactly

But if i was moving into a house share in greater london ie the surburbs

Rent if i was sharing a house might be at least 200 to 300 pounds some maybe more as it depends on the room if its furnished and what bills are included.say 300 to 400 if budgeting. You will also need normally one months rent in advance as a deposit. Some firms will have firms they use to help find accomdation some better than others from what i hear.

food very hard to say and also if you don't want to eat basic supermarket food and crave say certain phill and asian foods which may not be avaiable in the supermarket i would budget at least 30 to 40 pounds a week. I've included a slight rise what its likely to be in say 3 months or so.

Bills (gas,water and elec) this can vary instead of AC, heating is the big consumer of engery in the home. So worth checking the insulation in the house or flat is it centrally heated, does it have double glazing which all help make more efficent heating of houses and flats.

engery bills on avg, an indepent website (martin lewis moneysaving website) say likely to rise by 35 percent late summer

credit cards well thats up to you and what you spend i guess.

Transport depends on the zones a monthly travelcard for zone 1 to 3 is 105 pounds a zone 1-6 is about 170 pounds a month. Season tickets on overground trains if you are based out of london can be quite a bit more but your likely to save on rent and general costs compared to nearer the centre of london.

social agian up to you but if you want to dine out once a week (a meal for one can be from 5 pounds or under for a mac dees or a kfc say to 100 pounds or more a head in a swanky resturant. In a avg chain resturant you might get a meal from 10 to 20 quid per head.
To go out on the town say two nights q week. you might need at least 50 quid a week. Again its very hard to say.

1000 pounds a week

300 to 400 rent

200 for travel

160 for food shopping

bills 80 pounds

any left over on social

All very rough but be warned the banking market in london is being pounded at the moment where it concerns jobs more are being shed than taken on.

Again, i really appreciate your help andypaul! Now i have a solid idea on living in London... Great man! your the best!

@sam
thanks for your input as well!

leomar
1st May 2008, 00:01
The two singapore finance company i know well are both in the west one in knightsbridge and another just off marble arch. As are many other finance companies now.

As well as Canary wharf many other banks and finace companies are in the Liverpool street area such as ubs for example.

What actual part of banking are you in?

I'm with Risk Management :) Currently i'm looking @ one of the banks in canary wahrf, hope it will fly though.

Banana
1st May 2008, 00:51
Well it is my job to make it quite clear when people are spouting out utter drivel.

You have an very interesting concept on right and wrong.

kimmi
1st May 2008, 12:27
:omg::omg::Help1::Help1::CompBuster::CompBuster::ARsurrender::ARsurrender::icon_lol::Rasp::Rasp:

gadgets
1st May 2008, 12:42
leomar - have you tried googling london cost of living? there's a lot of material available.

andypaul
1st May 2008, 17:17
leomar - have you tried googling london cost of living? there's a lot of material available.

Some useful info i have to agree, but a warning to leomar

I looked at a few of the web sites and some were useful but still the prices are a few months out. Some were a year out or more so be careful to compare the prices in each one.

Also the rental prices quoted will be way out i would have thought from a quick glance at the local as most of the buy to let landlords mortages are more than the rents and loads of propties are coming onto the market as people try to rent out their propety to pay the mortage.

From what i hear its bedlam out there and thats from rental agency owners and former buy to let landlords and those still in the market.

gadgets
1st May 2008, 23:02
Some useful info i have to agree, but a warning to leomar

I looked at a few of the web sites and some were useful but still the prices are a few months out. Some were a year out or more so be careful to compare the prices in each one.

Also the rental prices quoted will be way out i would have thought from a quick glance at the local as most of the buy to let landlords mortages are more than the rents and loads of propties are coming onto the market as people try to rent out their propety to pay the mortage.

From what i hear its bedlam out there and thats from rental agency owners and former buy to let landlords and those still in the market.

agree with andypaul's caution :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

with regards to the last point, for the very first time I have heard about renters being evicted when the property they are renting were foreclosed :yikes:

with regards to the visa, try the immigrationboard.com and go to the UK section. it has a general UK section and a tier 1 section (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme) which may provide you more information. as andypaul noted on his earlier response, the banking industry is in midst of a financial storm (come to think of it, it might be boom times for your area of speciality).

best of luck with getting the City job and do keep us in mind you get your annual City bonus :D :BouncyHappy: :D libre naman par oh!!! :BouncyHappy: joke lang noh hehehehe

leomar
2nd May 2008, 10:24

1000 pounds a week

300 to 400 rent

200 for travel

160 for food shopping

bills 80 pounds

any left over on social

Andypaul, sorry just to clarify was it 1k per week or per month?

andypaul
2nd May 2008, 17:57

a month sorry

But a thousand a month if working in the city is nothing so you should have no worries:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Banana
3rd May 2008, 01:10

Leomar

I seriously suggest you do some of your own research. London is a diverse area and your more significant costs (housing and travel) will depend on where you live.

I would also ignore comments about working in the City as people in general have a perception that everyone in the City is on multi-million pound bonuses.

Whilst I am sure that those on here are genuinely trying to be helpful, you should draw on a very wide set of opinions as some on here are very polarised.

Mrs.JMajor
3rd May 2008, 03:27
:xxparty-smiley-004: i can smell something :rolleyes: adobo you right both of you who try to suggest something for leomar (w/c is old enough ) and he is very pleased w/ your reply....especially to andypaul w/ a 3000 post and long time on the forum and very appreciatable w/ his post :icon_lol: :D

just trying to cool the air :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:cwm38::cwm38:

joebloggs
3rd May 2008, 05:43
rough living costs around london

a) 1 Bedroom Apartment - £600+
b) Council Tax - £120
c) Electricity Bill - £50
d) Gas Bill - £50
d) Water Bill - £10
e) Groceries for 1 adults - £150
f) Internet Bill - £15
g) Mobile (PAYG) - £10
i) Landline Phone Rental - £11
j) Miscellaneous - £50
k) public transport £120+ ??

Total: atleast £1,300 a month just to survive

if youre sharing a house rent would be a bit cheaper..

but i would have thought you would need at least £1,500

which is about £25,000 a year

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 06:42
Considering the choice of job and area 1000 a month is less than could be expected. I think you need to re read and see that i accidently put a week not a month. The rough figures i have are from talking to people i know and meet who work in that field from office workers to what might be called blue collar workers in the support side. For example he may suprise you but the figure i came up with is what we live on minus the extra for my wife. Guess what we live on the outskirts of london.

KeithD
3rd May 2008, 09:12
rough living costs around london

a) 1 Bedroom Apartment - £600+
b) Council Tax - £120
c) Electricity Bill - £50
d) Gas Bill - £50
d) Water Bill - £10
e) Groceries for 1 adults - £150
f) Internet Bill - £15
g) Mobile (PAYG) - £10
i) Landline Phone Rental - £11
j) Miscellaneous - £50
k) public transport £120+ ??

Total: atleast £1,300 a month just to survive

if youre sharing a house rent would be a bit cheaper..

but i would have thought you would need at least £1,500

which is about £25,000 a year
That's cheaper than what I pay now in rural Wales.....I'm off to London :Cuckoo:

bornatbirth
3rd May 2008, 09:21
why dont u house share!

after u get here just look to share a apartment with some others and the costs will be cut by a third and u will make some freinds as well.

after u found a job u like,u can use the tube to get about and u wont need to be the city in to live as it will be more expensive but right next door is a cheaper area in east london.

are u looking at working in a philippino company? its been a few years since i was in london i cant say i ever noticed many philippinos there i guess i never really looked but u may find a house share with other filipinos?

leomar
3rd May 2008, 16:49
Guys, when i ask for your help a couple of days ago i have an offer in one of the bank in canary wharf...

Yesterday i turned it down due to personal and professional reasons, my former boss (working in that bank and the one recruiting me) understands the situation.

But mods, pls don't lock this thread for future references and for those who are Pinoys currently in banking who may need to transfer to London in some oppurtonities.

Thanks very much for your help! I appreciate all your efforts!

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 17:16
That's cheaper than what I pay now in rural Wales.....I'm off to London :Cuckoo:

Didn't one of the moneysaving websites mention that engery prices in wales were far higher than elsewhere. What with asda having the sign in welsh asking for 7.50 while in english it was 5 pound it sounds like its far tougher in wales money wise.

Actually i did some informal research for lenomar this week asking people on who i belive to get wages lower in the payscale how they survie (not saying he would have been) and many said well London is far cheaper if you go to the less well known parts (thought to be rougher) things are not so expensive. Which i have always found to be true.
The biggest reason is no business would survie charging loads for their products or services, when most of the people in the area had little dough themselves.

When in central London walking a few streets you can eat in cafe a cheap meal for 3 or 4 quid all in while up the road a drink is nearer a tenner due to tourists, out of towners and people with more money than sense.

aromulus
3rd May 2008, 17:21
When in central London walking a few streets you can eat in cafe a cheap meal for 3 or 4 quid all in while up the road a drink is nearer a tenner due to tourists, out of towners and people with more money than sense.

You can have my share of London, apart from the "Bridge"..........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 17:24
why dont u house share!

after u get here just look to share a apartment with some others and the costs will be cut by a third and u will make some freinds as well.

after u found a job u like,u can use the tube to get about and u wont need to be the city in to live as it will be more expensive but right next door is a cheaper area in east london.

are u looking at working in a philippino company? its been a few years since i was in london i cant say i ever noticed many philippinos there i guess i never really looked but u may find a house share with other filipinos?

I think he was looking to do that :xxgrinning--00xx3:and its true the cheapest way for a young person moving to a new area is to house or flat share saves a fortune in rent and bills.
I have seen local places all in for less than 275 a month for one person in a room and with the ecomonic situation i could see many more householders doing the same. With the four thousand a year i think it is before tax some may prefer to keep it fairly low to avoid tax and paperwork.

Many people from abroad rent a room and find if they can find a person from there culture even if a mixed marriage for example it helps them with homesickness.

The wife had a former workmate who was burmanese who rent a room with a burmanse/brit couple which he loved as they already had cheap service to call home so he just contributed and they often had foods from home which the wife liked he said as the hubby not keen on eating some:D

I know our local phill food shop always has adverts for rooms from phill families looking for lodgers again not huge rents and most happy if it a phill so they have extra company as well.

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 17:25
You can have my share of London, apart from the "Bridge"..........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

We already taken the bridge well ok at wemberlllleeeee:D

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 17:26
Guys, when i ask for your help a couple of days ago i have an offer in one of the bank in canary wharf...

Yesterday i turned it down due to personal and professional reasons, my former boss (working in that bank and the one recruiting me) understands the situation.

But mods, pls don't lock this thread for future references and for those who are Pinoys currently in banking who may need to transfer to London in some oppurtonities.

Thanks very much for your help! I appreciate all your efforts!

Shame the UK needs all the young talent it can get good luck with your career in Singapore:xxgrinning--00xx3: and if you ever come to the UK in the future i hope you have a great stay:)

kimmi
3rd May 2008, 18:49
Shame the UK needs all the young talent it can get good luck with your career in Singapore:xxgrinning--00xx3: and if you ever come to the UK in the future i hope you have a great stay:)

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo::Hellooo:

joebloggs
3rd May 2008, 19:45
well if the tories get in at the next election, and it looks like they will with brown in charge of the labour party, with him being so unpopular and his own goals, the tories have said they will control immigration and not the policy of free for all of the labour party.

what happened to browns 'british jobs for british workers' :D, which gov wouldn't protect its own citizens from applying for jobs before immigrants ?
the gov just lost another court case, the house of lords ruled

'The The House of Lords today (30.04.08) upheld BAPIO’s hard fought challenge against the Government’s attempt to retrospectively introduce regulations to restrict non-EU doctors already in the UK from applying for training posts in the NHS.' again the gov fails to protect british doctors rights to training

in the news today its said that assylum seekers are leaving becuase they dont like the weather and the treatment they get from the nhs :Erm::D

if the tories get in , in what less than 2 years then times will be harder for the immigrants

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 19:52
well if the tories get in at the next election, and it looks like they will with brown in charge of the labour party, with him being so unpopular and his own goals, the tories have said they will control immigration and not the policy of free for all of the labour party.

what happened to browns 'british jobs for british workers' :D, which gov wouldn't protect its own citizens from applying for jobs before immigrants ?
the gov just lost another court case, the house of lords ruled

'The The House of Lords today (30.04.08) upheld BAPIO’s hard fought challenge against the Government’s attempt to retrospectively introduce regulations to restrict non-EU doctors already in the UK from applying for training posts in the NHS.' again the gov fails to protect british doctors rights to training

in the news today its said that assylum seekers are leaving becuase they dont like the weather and the treatment they get from the nhs :Erm::D

if the tories get in , in what less than 2 years then times will be harder for the immigrants

They are not proper assylum seekers if they leave because of the weather are they?

I thought the Tories were in under blair:D

Tories before had weaker controls than Labour?

So joe your worried about a goverment controling immigration to much but want them to control immigration:Erm:

So if your Wife had been a non eu trainee doctor you would want her to be able to apply for a job? But now she a brit resident you don't:D

From what i understand its only those that were invited here they will allow to apply? Which is fair doo's surely?

Just playing devils advovcate, i understand how you feel.

Its a real mess from what I read of the immigration situation at the moment and surely whoever is in power needs to clear up all the uncertainty and confusion so at least people know where they stand and laws and rulings dont keep changing. To many rashly implemented ideas it appears which are then tinkered with and benefit few people but hinder many.

labout or tory both don't seem to have any real clear plan from where i am sitting.

joebloggs
3rd May 2008, 20:16
:D i wonder what boris will do :icon_lol::D

well how long will it be b4 he upsets someone :Erm:
i'll give him til the end of next week :xxgrinning--00xx3:

yes blair and brown not your true socialist, like kinnock, john smith or the great micheal foot.

‘Happy are they who live in the dream of their own existence, and see all things in the light of their own minds; who walk by faith and hope; to whom the guiding star of their youth still shines from afar; and into whom the spirit of the world has not entered! They have not been “hurt by the archers”, nor has the iron entered their souls. The world has no hand on them.’ There is surely no better description of the virtues of Michael Foot :xxgrinning--00xx3:

and what about the great heckler dennis skinner :D

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 20:24
:D i wonder what boris will do :icon_lol::D

well how long will it be b4 he upsets someone :Erm:
i'll give him til the end of next week :xxgrinning--00xx3:

yes blair and brown not your true socialist, like kinnock, john smith or the great micheal foot.

‘Happy are they who live in the dream of their own existence, and see all things in the light of their own minds; who walk by faith and hope; to whom the guiding star of their youth still shines from afar; and into whom the spirit of the world has not entered! They have not been “hurt by the archers”, nor has the iron entered their souls. The world has no hand on them.’ There is surely no better description of the virtues of Michael Foot :xxgrinning--00xx3:

and what about the great heckler dennis skinner :D

Dennis skinner a true gift to parliment and why I like Boris as in they speak whats in their mind not toe the party line. Wheter i agree with all they say is another thing.

But i would rather have mps like the people you say and some of the Tories who speak their mind rather than party drones:NoNo:

joebloggs
3rd May 2008, 20:24
actually andy, yes my misses is one of them, but i've not got double standards, i would rather have british workers for british jobs. which as brown found out is illegal. whats wrong with training schools leavers to do a job which there is a shortage for ? instead of importing workers, look after your own citizens b4 you look after someone elses..

i've read in todays paper a millionaire business man is taking the gov to court over the right for its citizens to have a vote on the european union. he's claiming that the gov has denied us that right, as they fear a majority would vote against the union.

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 21:13
actually andy, yes my misses is one of them, but i've not got double standards, i would rather have british workers for british jobs. which as brown found out is illegal. whats wrong with training schools leavers to do a job which there is a shortage for ? instead of importing workers, look after your own citizens b4 you look after someone elses..

i've read in todays paper a millionaire business man is taking the gov to court over the right for its citizens to have a vote on the european union. he's claiming that the gov has denied us that right, as they fear a majority would vote against the union.

I agree but like you were saying with asylum seekers if the goverment or the country promise one thing for the docs already here from abroad you cant say sorry we dont want you no more. The future is a different thing and i agree with you there.

Had a busy day today and found myself in cheapside near St Pauls this morning before football, visting a large installation we are performing for a huge Law firm.
Many of the "skilled workers" from abroad i saw working for various companies were not very skilled and the supervisor/bosses were having to deal with all the cock ups. One of the Bosses says to me they are never ill or skive and very cheap but they are not always up to the job:doh.

Due to the labour market getting tougher in the UK certainly at the bottom end, but one gang of office fitters "brit" workers were keener worker harder and better it appeared than many of the other gangs which consisted of "skilled workers from abroad".
Many had retrained due to the bottom end of the labour market being shut off to them due to the tidal wave we had in the last few years.
Im hoping the fact jobs were not easy to walk into has given at some Brit kids and young adults the reality check they needed.

This is also noticeable in schools where we help with classes. Hopefully training and learning a skill are not dirty words anymore with working class kids

joebloggs
3rd May 2008, 21:38
many british docs, ones you've and tax payers have paid £250,000 to train as a doc, cannot get training posts to be a consultant becuase of the shortage of places, there was 33,000 doctors competeing last yr for 22,000 training posts, 10,000 of those were non euros. in fact why should a euro get training while a brit docotor cann't ?

the gov tried to ban the 10,000 for applying for the posts, mostly indians, but why should a doc who is here and doesn't have ILR be able to apply for training ? funded by the tax payer .. i agree they should if they've made a commitment to the uk and its their home and they have ILR. but for those who been a year or 2, i don't see why they should be allowed to apply while there are brit docs who need and want training..

well for those here they can, for those who are not, its the end of the road..

andypaul
3rd May 2008, 21:46
many british docs, ones you've and tax payers have paid £250,000 to train as a doc, cannot get training posts to be a consultant becuase of the shortage of places, there was 33,000 doctors competeing last yr for 22,000 training posts, 10,000 of those were non euros. in fact why should a euro get training while a brit docotor cann't ?

the gov tried to ban the 10,000 for applying for the posts, mostly indians, but why should a doc who is here and doesn't have ILR be able to apply for training ? funded by the tax payer .. i agree they should if they've made a commitment to the uk and its their home and they have ILR. but for those who been a year or 2, i don't see why they should be allowed to apply while there are brit docs who need and want training..

well for those here they can, for those who are not, its the end of the road..

just remeber Auf Wiedersehen pet we all might need to soon find work in the EU or further abroad once the UK goes into recession. So tightening up restrctions to much may not be a good idea, otherwise it may make other countries respond in kind.

joebloggs
3rd May 2008, 21:49
for some on here, that might not be a bad idea, why apply for a spouse visa when you could be in the south of france selling time share and be able to apply for a family permit for your misses :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i work with a guy who did a bit of time in prison, parenting, schooling, bad friends ,whatever the reason, the boss gave him a chance and i've worked with him for many years, and has never been in trouble, this is what the gov and employers should be doing, giving kids a chance to break free and change thier life and save the tax payer money..

nethlewy
4th May 2008, 09:05

Poland/Eastern Europe or UK ?

I know where I would rather be in winter.

chino
7th May 2008, 21:32
sorry for bumping an old thread... i have a house which i rent out (mortgage £700 pm) and then i rent a room in a shared house for £250 pm though this is cheap and i own a lot of the furniture... remember you earn more but spend more..

tomadore
23rd June 2008, 13:01

are you on a diet mode?