PDA

View Full Version : Pinay in a traditional english village pub

mrsfrivolity
15th May 2006, 19:38
Haller folks!

Sorry it's been awhile. Things have been pretty hectic for me lately but I've got time to spare and what better way to spend it than to check up on old friends, eh? Hope all is well?

At the mo, Bill and I are running a village pub in the middle of nowhere for a brewery. We will be here until a new tenant arrives. We've looked into taking it on ourselves but the brewers want too much rent for it. Shame really as we've warmed up to the place and we feel very much at home here. The amount of support we get from the locals and their appreciation for our efforts have been overwhelming.

Anyway, I'd like to share a recent write-up in our local weekly paper.

http://www.wantageherald.co.uk/display.var.743828.0.0.php

Not bad at all for the only pinoy in the village&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

andypaul
15th May 2006, 20:08
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrsfrivolity &#064; May 15 2006, 07&#58;38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Haller folks&#33;

Sorry it&#39;s been awhile. Things have been pretty hectic for me lately but I&#39;ve got time to spare and what better way to spend it than to check up on old friends, eh? Hope all is well?

At the mo, Bill and I are running a village pub in the middle of nowhere for a brewery. We will be here until a new tenant arrives. We&#39;ve looked into taking it on ourselves but the brewers want too much rent for it. Shame really as we&#39;ve warmed up to the place and we feel very much at home here. The amount of support we get from the locals and their appreciation for our efforts have been overwhelming.

Anyway, I&#39;d like to share a recent write-up in our local weekly paper.

http://www.wantageherald.co.uk/display.var.743828.0.0.php

Not bad at all for the only pinoy in the village&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
[/b][/quote]

Great write up well done style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ivor&mel
15th May 2006, 20:29
Seems you've made a good impression. Pity you're at the other end of the country or else we would pop in to sample your wares :) Anyway, well done for that, and if you want a new challenge, come up here and sort out my ex-local - it's rubbish since the new landlord moved in!

Ivor and Mel

mrsfrivolity
15th May 2006, 20:38
Drop in anytime. we&#39;ve got loads of room. just pack a sleeping bag. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

baboyako
15th May 2006, 20:58
Charney Basset... I used to frequent a pub just down the road in Goosey. The pub closed & was turned into a house style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/NoNo.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/NoNo.gif I&#39;m sure if you ask your regulars they&#39;ll tell you what a good pub was at Goosey (cant remember the name) - this is going back 15 years though style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

When does the sit-com start on bbc2?

mrsfrivolity
15th May 2006, 21:24
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 15 2006, 08&#58;58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Charney Basset... I used to frequent a pub just down the road in Goosey. The pub closed & was turned into a house style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/NoNo.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/NoNo.gif I&#39;m sure if you ask your regulars they&#39;ll tell you what a good pub was at Goosey (cant remember the name) - this is going back 15 years though style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

When does the sit-com start on bbc2?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah we get a lot of people from Goosey and the other surrounding villages. I&#39;ve heard about that pub but you&#39;re right, it was such a long time ago, only a few people even remembers it having one ever.

btw, what sit-com?

baboyako
16th May 2006, 00:03
sit-com "the only pinoy in the village" of course.. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hammer.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hammer.gif

mrsfrivolity
23rd May 2006, 10:41
looks like we&#39;re going to be out of here in six weeks time style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif if i haven&#39;t mentioned it yet, we&#39;re only here on a temporary tenancy basis. we&#39;re only looking after the pub until a new tenant arrives. two couples are now in the interview stage and it&#39;s just a matter of choosing between the two of them really. i will miss this pub and the people we&#39;ve met here.

we are actively looking for a tenancy of our own but it&#39;s proving very difficult as our requirements are very specific. we would like to stay in the wantage area so we don&#39;t have to transfer our son to a different school. there&#39;s been enough upheaval in his life as it is style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif

we&#39;ve just sold our house btw to finance our plans of acquiring a tenancy. we&#39;ve been working towards that route for three years now. technically, we&#39;re now homeless... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif when we leave here, we could just take the next available pub but that&#39;s not going to make us happy, I&#39;m sure of it. so we plan to rent a flat somewhere until the right pub comes along.

i can&#39;t begin to tell you how unsettling that makes me feel esp when i see the available properties to rent in wantage... they&#39;re all very asbo-looking-dwellings to me. eww&#33;

hopefully, things will turn out right in the end. wish us luck. we&#39;ll need it.

ivor&mel
23rd May 2006, 11:06
looks like we're going to be out of here in six weeks time :( if i haven't mentioned it yet, we're only here on a temporary tenancy basis. we're only looking after the pub until a new tenant arrives. two couples are now in the interview stage and it's just a matter of choosing between the two of them really. i will miss this pub and the people we've met here.

we are actively looking for a tenancy of our own but it's proving very difficult as our requirements are very specific. we would like to stay in the wantage area so we don't have to transfer our son to a different school. there's been enough upheaval in his life as it is :doh

we've just sold our house btw to finance our plans of acquiring a tenancy. we've been working towards that route for three years now. technically, we're now homeless... :D when we leave here, we could just take the next available pub but that's not going to make us happy, I'm sure of it. so we plan to rent a flat somewhere until the right pub comes along.

i can't begin to tell you how unsettling that makes me feel esp when i see the available properties to rent in wantage... they're all very asbo-looking-dwellings to me. eww!

hopefully, things will turn out right in the end. wish us luck. we'll need it.

Yeah, good luck to you both. You seemed to create a good impression with your running of the pub, so let's hope you can find what you want soon. Keep us posted - and stay away from the chavs!

Ivor and Mel

mrsfrivolity
23rd May 2006, 13:52
thanks very much ivor and mel and yes, i will definitely stay away from the chav although i&#39;ll pick them anyday over the gypos. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cwm23.gif

ivor&mel
23rd May 2006, 14:14
thanks very much ivor and mel and yes, i will definitely stay away from the chav although i'll pick them anyday over the gypos. :cwm23:

Be careful - I think I have gypsy blood in me! I seem to recall that my great-grandparents on my mother's side were gypsies; though it was not something that was ever talked about much in the family :)

mrsfrivolity
23rd May 2006, 14:30
I&#39;m sure not all of them are bad but the ones I&#39;ve come across with in our pub are just appalling&#33; Calling them gypos is not as bad as them calling me "darkie"&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif