PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista SP1...

walesrob
26th April 2008, 23:34
.......did a great job of screwing up my laptop. Gmail notifier wouldn't run, JV16PT went mad and Easy CDDA wobbled. Then it screwed up the wireless network. Then the screen started flashing.:NoNo:

Now back on XP, what a relief.

Piamed
27th April 2008, 06:04
Vista is a real pain. Looks good but requires so much additional memory and has far too many annoying glitches...I'm back on XP too...

T

aromulus
27th April 2008, 08:55
.......did a great job of screwing up my laptop. Gmail notifier wouldn't run, JV16PT went mad and Easy CDDA wobbled. Then it screwed up the wireless network. Then the screen started flashing.:NoNo:

Now back on XP, what a relief.

Vista is a real pain. Looks good but requires so much additional memory and has far too many annoying glitches...I'm back on XP too...

T

Never left xp in the first place.... :D
Too many negative comments about vista and lack of compatible hardware to go with it, printers, cams, etc.:doh

The devil you know..................:rolleyes:

KeithD
27th April 2008, 09:26
Never had a problem with with Vista, way too many crashes, and security holes in XP, wouldn't touch it with Joe's.

Rob, you could have done a rollback with SP1, and anyway, I take it you read all the details on it before installing, as laptops can have problems with major updates to anything due to the way they are configured.

You can always use this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb927794.aspx

Helps if folk do a bit of research before installing things. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb968859.aspx

The problem you had is with the manufacturer's of the hardware/drivers, not Vista.

andypaul
27th April 2008, 10:59
Well as Windows 7 (Vienna) is primed for release soon

As welll as research into any upgrade (a big percentage of any mcp operating exam is about the installation both the prep and partaking in it) the old if it ain't broke don't fix adage comes to mind.

Do you really did to upgrade for what you are doing at present? Have you tested the upgrade on a vm or a spare pc which you are not reliant on?

The pc is vital to many peoples everyday lives so like Mr Admin says best to research, test and trial first before jumping in. Many Firms including IT based firms have not upgraded the OS as there is simply no need let others be the crash test dummies.
W2K only dissapeared off many work PC's i saw around 2005/2006 and still see it quite often. With standalone (non networked) machines many IT firms will leave it chugging away untill the PC dies it seems.h

At the moment they think vista is just 13 percent of those online.

The upgrade problem was the same with all previous versions of windows notably when 95 hit the shelves.

walesrob
27th April 2008, 11:57
I was just stunned at the scale of destruction a service pack can cause with Vista SP1. I've worked with many SP's - NT, W2K and XP and on the whole, they've been hassle free installations save for very minor problems, easily fixed. In fact, I've just installed SP3 on my XP laptop now, and it was no hassle at all, and working just fine.

KeithD
27th April 2008, 12:57
I bet you neber updated all the 3rd party drivers before proceeding though did you......:doh.....You should have taken it to PC World :action-smiley-081:

walesrob
27th April 2008, 13:15
I bet you neber updated all the 3rd party drivers before proceeding though did you......:doh.....You should have taken it to PC World :action-smiley-081:

Yes dear I did :Hellooo:

PC World? :furious3:

KeithD
27th April 2008, 13:51
PC World? :furious3:
I think they are a good company, employing all those retards :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
27th April 2008, 14:58
I think they are a good company, employing all those retards :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keeps them off the streets and always good for a wind up when we go into one of the shops in the city and wind up the staff with a few stupid questions:D