PDA

View Full Version : Bank Account etc

Eljohno
13th May 2006, 00:11
Hi guys,

just thought i would post a few problems were have come across since Rhea arrived here.

They are not to bad but let me know if the same things have happened to you.

So far we have had problems opening a bank account for Rhea as the Nationwide have asked for a bill at our address with Rhea's name on it but i pay both my Gas & Electric using a card so i do not get a bill. Also my phone belongs to my employers so i do not get a bill for that also. So we are looking into other ways of getting a bill and at the moment i have ordered a Catalogue book in Rhea's name so she can get a bill for that. When i asked the lady on the phone if any other letter will do for evidence of Rhea living at our address she said "yes a bank statement would do fine" AGHH

Rhea had her interview for a National Insurance Number just today but i did not realise that she needed proof that she had signed up for 2 Job Agencies so the next interview will be next Tuesday. I remember Pete said something about a Temp N.I. number but i forget what he said so if anyone can help i will be thankful.

On a better note i phoned and asked if i would be entitled to "Working Tax Credit" and they said yes which is a good help.

John

walesrob
13th May 2006, 05:34
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; May 13 2006, 12&#58;11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi guys,

just thought i would post a few problems were have come across since Rhea arrived here.

So far we have had problems opening a bank account for Rhea as the Nationwide have asked for a bill at our address with Rhea&#39;s name on it but i pay both my Gas & Electric using a card so i do not get a bill. Also my phone belongs to my employers so i do not get a bill for that also. So we are looking into other ways of getting a bill and at the moment i have ordered a Catalogue book in Rhea&#39;s name so she can get a bill for that. When i asked the lady on the phone if any other letter will do for evidence of Rhea living at our address she said "yes a bank statement would do fine" AGHH

Rhea had her interview for a National Insurance Number just today but i did not realise that she needed proof that she had signed up for 2 Job Agencies so the next interview will be next Tuesday. I remember Pete said something about a Temp N.I. number but i forget what he said so if anyone can help i will be thankful.

On a better note i phoned and asked if i would be entitled to "Working Tax Credit" and they said yes which is a good help.
John
[/b][/quote]

When Elsa arrived in the UK, she opened a basic bank account with HSBC, all they asked for was proof of previous address in the Philippines. When she started working, she upgraded that to a proper bank account with debit card.

With regards to NI number, as long a Rhea has had the interview and a NI number is on the way, she will be ok, she just needs to tell her new employer as soon as it arrives. Recent changes in Inland Revenue rules prohibit the use of temp NI numbers, but there is an allowance of a couple of weeks for employers to verify NI numbers.

Admin
13th May 2006, 06:44
We had no problem with smile.co.uk either.

One other way round it though it to change your accout to joint, and then in 6 months ask for a seperate account in her name, that usually gets around the main proof issue, unless your banks a style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

ervenescence
13th May 2006, 09:13
I remember when I opened my bank account in Natwest, the things they asked from me are my proof of billing address and passport id. Fortunately my husband has a council tax bill with both of our name together on it.

The NI number- when I got my first job I didn&#39;t have my NI number yet, instead I used a temporary one just explain it to my employer that I set the interview for the real NI number or I already applied but waiting till they post the result.
Payslip (if any) is one of the requirement of applying a NI number, but since that was my first time, so I couldn&#39;t show any, instead I hand them a proof of company&#39;s letter which says that they&#39;re looking forward for me to work with them and the date when im going to start the job.

andypaul
13th May 2006, 09:38
Look around the banks.

From the two bank companies we tried natwest would except passport and one of several ids, inculding utlity bill, or home/car insurance with your wifes name. But the application was sent off and took 14 days for a reply if i remeber correctly. We went to several Natwests and they gave varying demands of what they needed. But one lady mentioned, my Wife needed to be on the Electroal roll, that or i guess registered with Council so they can fleece more money ut of you style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bigcry.gif

But the Hsbc in a small local branch in west london was very different.
We went for the basic account after a few months of the wife being here and she was offered the one up as the lady said " basic was if you had no proper id&#33;&#33; With a passprt my wife could have the next one up.
My Wife was signed up on the spot and had the cards etc within the week&#33;&#33; Im not sure if this was a misunderstanding on my part, as we did walk in with proof of address in the form of utilty bill. So not postive that this is the norm for Hsbc.

When we went it was late december so it might have been the lady was happy to sign my wife up so she could reach a sales target style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif for the end of the month. Banks i guess are just like mobile phone shops or car showrooms now in that the advisors are all i guess on some form of commission to increase sales.

The conculsion sems to be look around and don&#39;t focus in on one bank. Once your wife has an account she can soon change it, as all companies, banks inculding seemed to be obbessed with getting new customers from rivals, and not intrested in existing customers or brand new customers. In fact when your Wife goes to swap her account, im sure they will give her a very good deal to tempt her over.

ginapeterb
13th May 2006, 11:25
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; May 13 2006, 12&#58;11 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi guys,

So far we have had problems opening a bank account for Rhea as the Nationwide have asked for a bill at our address with Rhea&#39;s name on it but i pay both my Gas & Electric using a card so i do not get a bill. Also my phone belongs to my employers so i do not get a bill for that also. So we are looking into other ways of getting a bill and at the moment i have ordered a Catalogue book in Rhea&#39;s name so she can get a bill for that. When i asked the lady on the phone if any other letter will do for evidence of Rhea living at our address she said "yes a bank statement would do fine" AGHH

John
[/b][/quote]

John, go to Barclays Bank, Rhea needs her passport, and a prospective Job, tell them she wants a current account, with Connect Card and also get her to apply for Barclaycard also, Gina did this, no problems whatsoever, she now has a credit card and connect card, also we just changed over her cards and bank account to the married name, these things take time but once she is in the system should not be a problem, now also we have the Schengen visa for Gina, so we are off to Paris soon,

Eljohno
13th May 2006, 11:29
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ginapeterb &#064; May 13 2006, 11&#58;25 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
John, go to Barclays Bank, Rhea needs her passport, and a prospective Job, tell them she wants a current account, with Connect Card and also get her to apply for Barclaycard also, Gina did this, no problems whatsoever, she now has a credit card and connect card, also we just changed over her cards and bank account to the married name, these things take time but once she is in the system should not be a problem, now also we have the Schengen visa for Gina, so we are off to Paris soon,
[/b][/quote]

Hi Pete,

good to see you back more often at the forum mate&#33;&#33;

I am happy you got the visa for Paris, if Rhea does not get a US tourist visa we will be looking into getting a Schengen visa. I am not sure if there is somewhere here in N.Ireland where we can apply for a Schengen visa also.

We do not have a Barclays Bank here in N.Ireland that i am aware of...