PDA

View Full Version : Why are some Filipinas like that?

trends5squared
20th April 2008, 22:20
I went to Newquay town Center a couple of weeks ago with my hubby and mother-in-law. We were just looking around town and decided to pop in Woolworths. It was my mother-in-law (whom I called mum) who first saw 2 Filipinas and pointed them to me. I was so excited, finally I thought . . . Filipinas to talk to. I followed them with my hubby (like stalkers) and waited for the right time to approach them. When I finally did, I introduced myself and my hubby and started to make a friendly and nice conversation with them, but to my disappointment, they were very hesitant and you could feel the cold response and that they didn’t want to talk to you at all.

Well to cut the story short........I went home very sad and disappointed. :bigcry: Call me nationalistic, but aren’t we Filipinos supposed to help each other in a foreign country?

andy17
20th April 2008, 22:40
Wow, sorry to hear that... I agree, I thought they would warmly welcome you! Is your Hubby good looking? perhaps they are a bit jealous? Don't worry, perhaps when you see them next time they will react differently!

chino
20th April 2008, 22:41
that's strange as when every Europeans are together in another country we club together and bitch about Americans :D

I was in York about 2 months ago and three filipino's refused to talk to me... i think they thought i was trying to chat them up but i just said hi!

Piamed
20th April 2008, 22:48
Actually, I was discussing this with my wife a couple of days ago. I heard that it is not uncommon for 100% couples to not associate with with mixed-phil couples. I don't know why that is.

I'm sorry you experienced that from the ones you met. I'm sure you will meet many more nice ones in due course. As i mentioned on an earlier post the local Catholic church could be a good starting point.

T

Piamed
20th April 2008, 22:57
I'm always trying to find ways to talk to pinoy when I come across them. In airports i usually try 'saan ang CR' (where is the toilet) as an ice breaker. They are so surprised I speak a little bit of Tagalog it works well. On another occasion last week I sat next to a group of guys and took out my packet of Dried Mangoes from Cebu and after they looked at it for a while and spoke about it amongst themselves, I offered them some. Whenever I meet pinoy I always call my wife and let her speak to them too.

I have so many numbers of pinoy. It will hopefully be a good starting point for us when Sofi is here.

T

andypaul
20th April 2008, 23:53
My wife speaks to some phills and if one needed her help she would but as a member of the human race we would try to help anyone. Do all brits or whiteys chat to one another abroad maybe some do but i just chat to a person because we interact not just talk to my own. In phill i would rather talk to my friends in phill in broken tagalog than a white person in english just because we the only to whiteys in the room.

joebloggs
21st April 2008, 10:19
maybe it's just the wrong time & wrong place :Erm:

i'm always pinoy spotting, lots where i live, 2 families live only a few houses a way from us, each time we go past their house and thier in the garden, i keep saying to wife, to go and say hello to them, she will not :NoNo:, and they never say anything to her :doh, stalemate :D

trends5squared
21st April 2008, 10:57
Just received my Learner’s Driving License and my National Insurance Number this morning. :Hellooo:

I’m very excited to drive my car. Guess, I’ll just have to focus my time with learning how to drive and be a professional JUB HUNTER! :BouncyHappy:

Wish me Luck! :Hellooo:

Piamed
21st April 2008, 11:49
Great trends5squared! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Did you have any lessons in da phils?

T

joebloggs
21st April 2008, 11:49
Just received my Learner’s Driving License and my National Insurance Number this morning. :Hellooo:

I’m very excited to drive my car. Guess, I’ll just have to focus my time with learning how to drive and be a professional JUB HUNTER! :BouncyHappy:

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

if your driving on a International license you have to pass your UK driving test within the year of when you first came to the uk, and tell the insurance company your driving on a int license.

if you've not got a INt license only your UK learner license you cannot drive the car own your own.. but you probably already know this :doh

don't drive without a proper license, if your caught you could end up being prosecuted for driving without a valid license and invalid insurance, your car could be crushed and you could have a court conviction, which when you apply for FLR/ILR or citizenship could effect your app :NoNo:

good luck with the driving,took my misses 7 attempts, damn number 7 rules my life :doh

kimmi
21st April 2008, 12:28

Congrats trends5squared, well done..I hope I can get mine also easily..:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

alicat
21st April 2008, 14:22
well,i been here in england for nearly 2 years now
it takes me a year to find a filipina friend,yah,
ur right some filipina is not that friendly(akala
mo kung sino)but most of filipino is friendly..
dont worry u will find someone there.
goodluck to u.

mavid
21st April 2008, 14:41
In airports i usually try 'taga saan ka (where is the toilet) as an ice breaker. T

is this supposed to be a joke? hehehe Taga saan ka...(where are you from?)

gadgets
21st April 2008, 15:27
goodluck to u.

one thing i find is that people from the provinces are more approachable, when I hear the visayan dialect spoken, I can easily start conversing with them :D. it's not only in the UK, I also noticed this in America where there's a much larger population of pinoys.

btw, i am pinoy and i have experienced what trends5squared has gone through and it's definitely not pleasant. i just tell me, myself and I that it's their loss :Cuckoo:.

Piamed
21st April 2008, 17:11
is this supposed to be a joke? hehehe Taga saan ka...(where are you from?)

OOps, I meant saan ang CR! Sorry po.

T

trends5squared
21st April 2008, 18:34

if your driving on a International license you have to pass your UK driving test within the year of when you first came to the uk, and tell the insurance company your driving on a int license.

if you've not got a INt license only your UK learner license you cannot drive the car own your own.. but you probably already know this :doh

don't drive without a proper license, if your caught you could end up being prosecuted for driving without a valid license and invalid insurance, your car could be crushed and you could have a court conviction, which when you apply for FLR/ILR or citizenship could effect your app :NoNo:

good luck with the driving,took my misses 7 attempts, damn number 7 rules my life :doh

Thanks for your advice. My hubby bought me a car before I applied for my UK Learner’s Driving License. It’s already Insured under his name and this morning added me to it . . . cost him much, as I am still a Learner :Brick:

cheers. :BouncyHappy:

andypaul
21st April 2008, 18:37
Thanks for your advice. My hubby bought me a car before I applied for my UK Learner’s Driving License. It’s already Insured under his name and this morning added me to it . . . cost him much, as I am still a Learner :Brick:

cheers. :BouncyHappy:

Good luck with the Lessons and tests:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
21st April 2008, 18:51
Said this before and yes i know its nice to have friends with the same background and speak a common tonuge. Share foods and jokes with.

The Wife has very good friends who are Phil. But far more from countries who she could never have dreamt of meeting.

A few friends of hers are planing to go to New york next year all friends from work. Ones Pakistani, ones a Indigeous Brit another from portugal and another from Extonia i think.

Great friends to her and have been so good for her in many ways.

My Wife found the phill world near us like others some are nice others mind their own business. But some of the truest friends have been from countries she had never heard off a few years back.

I hope actually im sure your meet Phills but don't miss out on making friends from other backgrounds. Many good friends of mine have totally different backgrounds to me and they all enrich my life.

gemini63
26th May 2008, 16:20
I went to Newquay town Center a couple of weeks ago with my hubby and mother-in-law. We were just looking around town and decided to pop in Woolworths. It was my mother-in-law (whom I called mum) who first saw 2 Filipinas and pointed them to me. I was so excited, finally I thought . . . Filipinas to talk to. I followed them with my hubby (like stalkers) and waited for the right time to approach them. When I finally did, I introduced myself and my hubby and started to make a friendly and nice conversation with them, but to my disappointment, they were very hesitant and you could feel the cold response and that they didn’t want to talk to you at all.

Well to cut the story short........I went home very sad and disappointed. :bigcry: Call me nationalistic, but aren’t we Filipinos supposed to help each other in a foreign country?
hi,
i also feel what u felt when i saw filipinas in a shopping stores and seems they not interested to talk more...very disappointing...everytime wn we go round and my hubby saw filipinas around he will tell me about them and im very much excited to talk to them but just always disappointed coz everytime i spoke to them first seems they wr not interested to to talk more..sometimes im wondering why...are they shy or afraid???i dont know really reasons why some like that kind.

Piamed
26th May 2008, 16:36
hi,
i also feel what u felt when i saw filipinas in a shopping stores and seems they not interested to talk more...very disappointing...everytime wn we go round and my hubby saw filipinas around he will tell me about them and im very much excited to talk to them but just always disappointed coz everytime i spoke to them first seems they wr not interested to to talk more..sometimes im wondering why...are they shy or afraid???i dont know really reasons why some like that kind.

Its unfortunate that they are like that. It was suggested to me a while ago that they see you as different if you are in a mixed-marriage. The other factor may be 'westernisation', where they adopt western ways of keeping to themselves - especially in the bigger cities. I was telling Pia about that again a couple of days ago. I hope that all of you coming over and here already can become friends and help each other settle.

aromulus
26th May 2008, 16:47
I will be in Newquay next week, for the cornwall show.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

looks like that rain will be falling horizontally again....:NoNo:

kimmi
26th May 2008, 19:36
hi,

I experienced the same way..:bigcry::bigcry::Help1::CompBuster:

IainBusby
27th May 2008, 09:21
It might be a bit of a controversial thing to say on here, but from whispers I've heard, and also from scenes I have actually observerved on occasion, it seems there is a kind of snobbery displayed by certain Filipinas such as some of the nurses and others, who because they got to this country through hard work and education as they would see it, they now see themselves as somehow better than those who got here simply through marriage and they don't particulary want to mix with them.

Iain.

telford
27th May 2008, 09:41

CONGRATS!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

telford
27th May 2008, 09:46

dont wori...im sure u can find a nice filipino there soon... goodluck!!!:)

joebloggs
27th May 2008, 09:55
:Erm:

to the brits on here, if you see a non filipino on your trip to the phils, and i don't mean sat next to you on the plane, do you go up to them and talk to them.. :Erm: i never really seen many on my trips, only on the plane

chino
27th May 2008, 22:30
:Erm:

to the brits on here, if you see a non filipino on your trip to the phils, and i don't mean sat next to you on the plane, do you go up to them and talk to them.. :Erm: i never really seen many on my trips, only on the plane

I do see them and i do speak to them... or am i the only one?

angel1231
1st June 2008, 00:48
i know how u feel .i got lots of experience meeting filipina who lived here in u.k and i say 85. percent are like that they dont even bother to smile when u say ask them if there pinay ...just say got fed up of it.
i meet a filipina a year ago we get on very well we invited each other to our houses and i went to the philippies for vacation twice and when i came back she seems very distant and seems like she hardly know me....
ANYWAYSSSSS...DONT BE SAD U'LL MEET SOME FRIENDS IN ANYTIME.....CHEER..UP

SephEan
1st June 2008, 06:31
It might be a bit of a controversial thing to say on here, but from whispers I've heard, and also from scenes I have actually observerved on occasion, it seems there is a kind of snobbery displayed by certain Filipinas such as some of the nurses and others, who because they got to this country through hard work and education as they would see it, they now see themselves as somehow better than those who got here simply through marriage and they don't particulary want to mix with them.

Iain.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: This is the exact reason in my mind too. And its not nice. Anyway don't worry not all Filipinas are like that, you're going to find Pinay friends soon... I have two sisters living in U.K., one in Somerset and the other in Reading, they have mentioned that to me. I think its best not to make friends with people like them "judgemental"... Im going soon there in U.K. and would like to meet new friends but if circumstances wouldn't allow Im very much happy and satisfied just to be with my gorgeous hubby!!:Hellooo:

Piamed
1st June 2008, 10:57
:xxgrinning--00xx3: This is the exact reason in my mind too. And its not nice. Anyway don't worry not all Filipinas are like that, you're going to find Pinay friends soon... I have two sisters living in U.K., one in Somerset and the other in Reading, they have mentioned that to me. I think its best not to make friends with people like them "judgemental"... Im going soon there in U.K. and would like to meet new friends but if circumstances wouldn't allow Im very much happy and satisfied just to be with my gorgeous hubby!!:Hellooo:

Hi SephEan. That is great that you will have 2 sis in the Uk and one living very close to you. Remember, Pia and I will be 2 friends of both your hubby and yourself living in the UK. Ingat! :)

Peanutz
1st June 2008, 22:09
I have more Italian friends and two long time filipina friends. In my long years living abroad I have learned that it is very hard to find true filipina friends.
Quite frankly. it is very hard to find a smart filipina which you can exchange varied interests and opinions.
If I see a Filipina I just smile at them, if they don't smile back it doesn't offend me at all. I just look them in their eyes and I wonder why they can't look back straight to me.

Pepe n Pilar
2nd June 2008, 14:58
I have the same experience. When i travelled back to the UK i met a filipina bound for Birmingham and we have the same connecting flight so we were together on a city tour in Seoul. I asked for her e-mail address and she said later then finally forgot all about it. She seems not interested having a friend.
Last Saturday while i and hubby were at the town center i happen to see a filipina and i followed her bec i was so eager to meet some. She stopped and talked to a fellow filipina so when i passed by and heard them conversing in tagalog, i said hi. One was in a hurry to leave but the other filipina was kind and friendly. We have exchanged our contact numbers.
In another occasion while i was walking in the precinct, i saw a filipina approaching and i thought of smiling and to greet her but, when she is a meter infront of me she nodded and talked to her daughter but i saw her glancing to me for a second. I told my hubby about this and can't understand why some filipinos are reluctant to meet thier "kababayans". I know there are quite few filipinos who are not that kind of snubbish and are friendly and smart. I hope to meet them someday....

lizaphil
2nd June 2008, 15:42

yes i know what you feel,because here also in dartford lots of pilipina,and same at you, im trying to talk to theme but they dont wont, or they never smile,akala mo mga maganda,:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Cheryl Tyndall
10th June 2008, 14:50
they might be illegal immigrants here, you know, they don't want to be asked anything..

andypaul
10th June 2008, 15:12
they might be illegal immigrants here, you know, they don't want to be asked anything..

Good point and some have been here for years and have done well for themselves but want to keep a little discrete just in case.

I know of at least one Phill lady the Wife knows who has never said it but certain actions lead me to belive that she would rather keep a low profile.

aposhark
10th June 2008, 16:13
If I see a Filipina I just smile at them, if they don't smile back it doesn't offend me at all. I just look them in their eyes and I wonder why they can't look back straight to me.

Are they cross-eyed :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

rowena
10th June 2008, 18:41
I am sorry darlin that you experience such thing from our fellow filipinas. Don't worry about it, as long as your happy with your husband, that what matters most. I am from plymouth so maybe we cab be friends. I've met some filipinas here and they're all nice to me, don't mind those snobs ok?

Peanutz
10th June 2008, 19:24
Are they cross-eyed :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I think they get shy and they get self conscious:icon_lol:

When you encounter a Filipina like me on the street (based on my experience), the first thing they will look at is how you are dressed. Next, they will look in your shoes, bag and accessories and then they will finally decide to look at you in your eyes. Then there will be the kind of look of 'should I make the first move or not?'.
If you smile at them, some will smile back to you (if interested), some will just ignore you and look away (as if they have not noticed you)...Like I give a ***t:D

Piamed
10th June 2008, 19:51
(based on my experience), the first thing they will look at is how you are dressed. Next, they will look in your shoes, bag and accessories and then they will finally decide to look at you in your eyes. Then there will be the kind of look of 'should I make the first move or not?'.
If you smile at them, some will smile back to you (if interested), some will just ignore you and look away (as if they have not noticed you). Very true! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pepe n Pilar
11th June 2008, 11:53

When you encounter a Filipina like me on the street (based on my experience), the first thing they will look at is how you are dressed. Next, they will look in your shoes, bag and accessories and then they will finally decide to look at you in your eyes. Then there will be the kind of look of 'should I make the first move or not?'.
If you smile at them, some will smile back to you (if interested), some will just ignore you and look away (as if they have not noticed you)...Like I give a ***t:D

:iagree::iagree:

charlwill
11th June 2008, 12:08

Not all filipinas are like that, but mostly are. You will be lucky if you can find one that got a good heart. I live in Cornwall (near Newquay) for 5 years and in my own experience filipina community there, got a bad rep. They always have misunderstanding. Keep on competing with one another. Sad, but that is the truth.
We can meet up if you want. I will be visiting Cornwall very soon.

jencha8569
11th June 2008, 14:06

If you smile at them, some will smile back to you (if interested), some will just ignore you and look away (as if they have not noticed you)...Like I give a ***t:D [/QUOTE]

i agree:xxgrinning--00xx3:
usually filipinas are shy and self conscious.
but i can say that same as everywhere there
is good and bad.

jencha8569
11th June 2008, 20:48
yes i agree with my lover .
there is good and bad everywhere in the world.

aposhark
11th June 2008, 21:36

I think that's just life in general. Some people are friendly and others aren't, it's the same in any country and culture. It is just a nice pleasure to meet friendly people as against the miserable ones. "When you're smiling, the whole world smiles at you...."

aposhark
11th June 2008, 21:47
Not all filipinas are like that, but mostly are. You will be lucky if you can find one that got a good heart. I live in Cornwall (near Newquay) for 5 years and in my own experience filipina community there, got a bad rep. They always have misunderstanding. Keep on competing with one another. Sad, but that is the truth.
We can meet up if you want. I will be visiting Cornwall very soon.

I met an Englishman with his Filipina wife a couple of months ago. I asked the lady if she had many Filipina friends here in UK and she said she didn't because they were gossips who kept comparing what the husbands had; cars, houses etc.
I found that a little disconcerting but I try to take people as I find them and try to see the good in people.
I will let my future wife make her own mind up on the type of life she wants here. I was hoping that she will have some Filipina friends so she could occasionally talk in Visayan or Tagalog. It will be her decision though.
I was in Spain for a long time and saw English gossips there too.
I think it is just what some people do :rolleyes:

Peanutz
11th June 2008, 22:17
That is why it is a treasure if you find a friend that doesn't look at what you have or what you do, but of what you are and what you can share to them...

Charlwill, I live too far from Cornwall, but if happens you are around Poole-Bournemouth, just give me a shout!:D

charlwill
12th June 2008, 08:57
That is why it is a treasure if you find a friend that doesn't look at what you have or what you do, but of what you are and what you can share to them...

Charlwill, I live too far from Cornwall, but if happens you are around Poole-Bournemouth, just give me a shout!:D

Me too, I really treasure a friend/s with a good heart and broad minded. And yes, sharing to a friend/s what you have and what you can do is really a great thing to do. Being envious to one another is no good.
For sure, I will give you a shout if it happens that I will be in your area. I been there once and you lived in a beautiful part of the country. :)

aromulus
12th June 2008, 09:16
For a few months Jet has started exploring the town on her own.:omg:
She knows the buses that she needs for work or shopping trips, and she started making new friends.

One of the ladies, she met, is actually married to the chef of the hotel where Jet works, and so they have a real natter in Visayan like schoolgirls....:D
And long shopping escapades.....
Ann, has already been here at our place, while I was in the office last week, and Jet, as the perfect host, cooked some fantastic adobo for their lunch.....
Of which I only managed to get the whiff of it... It ain't fair....:doh But such is life.......

But what I find strange is Jet's reluctance to start any kind of conversation with Pinays in town, due to the fact that they seem to be unwilling to smile.
Sometime she prompts me to ask or say something to them to break the ice, and when I do, they ignore us completely....:Erm:

Oh, well.... Never mind.

charlwill
12th June 2008, 09:31
Well, you're not alone in this kind of circumstances.What we don't know is... What kind of burden they've got, why is it very hard for them S-M-I-L-E. But anyways, it seems that, when a filipina lived overseas, they've change alot! Not all, but most of them do. I really dont know, and I can't understant why!.
Change for the better and for the best but not for the worse and getting worst each time.
Very sad, but I think that is very true.

Piamed
12th June 2008, 09:57
I find it really easy to talk to both pinoy and pinoy when I see them but I'm currently always alone; perhaps because they do not know why I am approaching them at first and are very surprised when I start to speak Tagalog. I imagine that when Pia is here and we walk together they may make their assumptions from a distance and look at us differently.

Pepe n Pilar
12th June 2008, 12:49
I asked a friend who has been here in the UK for 23 years about this. She said she will let me observe and just discover why. I know there are friendly and sensible filipinas out there. We can't generalize it. As what Charlwill had said some might have burden in their lives hence they find it very hard to smile to other fellow filipinas. We don't know what their journey is all about. I've heard about some filipinas comparing what they possess materially and talk about financial situations. Well for me if i meet a person not filipina in particular and imitates or copy things which i have then i would let her. It won't bother me because it only means she finds it nice and wants to have the same.

alicat
12th June 2008, 13:11
Well, you're not alone in this kind of circumstances.What we don't know is... What kind of burden they've got, why is it very hard for them S-M-I-L-E. But anyways, it seems that, when a filipina lived overseas, they've change alot! Not all, but most of them do. I really dont know, and I can't understant why!.
Change for the better and for the best but not for the worse and getting worst each time.
Very sad, but I think that is very true.

very true...i agree:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pepe n Pilar
13th June 2008, 15:07
If they don't hear us talking in tagalog one reason which makes them hesitant to say hi it's because they think the lady is a Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian or Chinese. One lady told me she was hesitant to say hi she thought i was an Indonesian. One lady which was introduced to me by a friend in a wedding said she thought i am a Thai. So we just have to think that perhaps those are some of the reasons.:):cwm24::rolleyes:

charlwill
13th June 2008, 16:23
If they don't hear us talking in tagalog one reason which makes them hesitant to say hi it's because they think the lady is a Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian or Chinese. One lady told me she was hesitant to say hi she thought i was an Indonesian. One lady which was introduced to me by a friend in a wedding said she thought i am a Thai. So we just have to think that perhaps those are some of the reasons.:):cwm24::rolleyes:
Very true and I agree with you, Shelly. But then, there are some that they're obvious that they are a flipina but they choose to ignore somebody who is a filipina. Oh well, that's life!

dondi
20th June 2008, 00:39
There are many reasons why Pinoys are hesitant to mingle with their fellow Pinoys.. some have already been pointed out..

but another possible reason is that some of them have no proper visa and are staying here illegally.. it would suit them not to socialize too much to avoid being detected.. we Filipinos call them TNTs or "Tago-Ng-Tago" (meaning always hiding).. I know someone who lives in London and true enough, she avoids having contact with a lot of people, esp Pinoys..

can't be true to everyone but just sharing an idea..

pennybarry
20th June 2008, 07:40
I have a new friend here in our place and just moved here from Kent. She said she has only few filipino friends and never been friendly with filipina nurses there. They are too snub! One time she went home to Phil and at the airport, there were queue's at heathrow, most are nurses and wives of Brits, One nurse said "paunahin muna mga atchay"
I told my friend if I was there I will answer back and tell them who is really atchay?

I agree, there are really many snubs here and not mingle with fellow filipinos:cwm23: dissapointing :D

ManilaDavid
20th June 2008, 07:42
I know a Filipina widow, living in a big house in Australia. She is very friendly and like to talk to all Australians and to all foreigners, but she don't talk to any of her Filipino neighbors.

Best regards
ManilaDavid

IainBusby
20th June 2008, 08:44
I have a new friend here in our place and just moved here from Kent. She said she has only few filipino friends and never been friendly with filipina nurses there. They are too snub! One time she went home to Phil and at the airport, there were queue's at heathrow, most are nurses and wives of Brits, One nurse said "paunahin muna mga atchay"
I told my friend if I was there I will answer back and tell them who is really atchay?

I agree, there are really many snubs here and not mingle with fellow filipinos:cwm23: dissapointing :D

paunahin muna mga atchay?

vbkelly
20th June 2008, 09:28
paunahin muna mga atchay?

ATCHAY meaning housemaid or servant lol

IainBusby
20th June 2008, 09:48
Thanks Bing.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
20th June 2008, 09:55
Thanks Bing.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

cheers iain

David House
20th June 2008, 10:11
There is a thriving local Filipino community where we live. An informal self help network based on gossip, long phone calls and occasional parties. You know the type! When Filipinos eat strange food, sing strange songs and only drink coke. The parties are always open house so any new Filipino who is spotted around town is invited along. In fact my wife makes a point of always speaking to every Filipino she sees, and if they are new in town she invites them around and gets them into the network. However there is plenty of what they call "back fighting" and petty jealousies. Heaps of rumours about who has done what to whom, or with whom! I think though that is much more about being female than being Filipino. I also sense a degree of separation between those here to work and remit and those who are married. The workers, mostly nurses and carers, are often too busy and tired, to attend. In fact they are frequently almost invisible off duty, because they work so much!

angel1231
20th June 2008, 11:00
There is a thriving local Filipino community where we live. An informal self help network based on gossip, long phone calls and occasional parties. You know the type! When Filipinos eat strange food, sing strange songs and only drink coke. The parties are always open house so any new Filipino who is spotted around town is invited along. In fact my wife makes a point of always speaking to every Filipino she sees, and if they are new in town she invites them around and gets them into the network. However there is plenty of what they call "back fighting" and petty jealousies. Heaps of rumours about who has done what to whom, or with whom! I think though that is much more about being female than being Filipino. I also sense a degree of separation between those here to work and remit and those who are married. The workers, mostly nurses and carers, are often too busy and tired, to attend. In fact they are frequently almost invisible off duty, because they work so much!
MY HUSBAND AND I ALWAYS HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS OF WHAT FILIPINA LIKE HE THINKS THEY ALL WANT U TO BE FRIENDLY WITH THEM BUT AS WHAT U SAID THEY JUST EAT U FROM BEHIND ....I DO LIKE MEETING FILIPINA BUT AFYTER MEETING HERE FEW TIMES ALL UR CONVERSATION WILL TURN TO ..ABOUT OH JUST SEND SOME MONEY TODAY AND ITS ONLY LIKE THIS ...OR THAT..OR I JUST SEND SOME MONEY TO PAY THE PROPERTY I JUST BOUGTH ...OR HOW IS UR HUSBAND IS HE GIVING U ENOUGH MONEY ...OHHHHHHHH I JUST CANT PUT UP ALL THIS ....:bigcry:ALL U TALK ABOUT IS JUST NONSENSE AND GIVING U ALL THIS JUST TO SEE IF U GOT MORE THAN HERS.....SAD SAD SAD SAD...NOT GOOD FOR THE BRAIN...AND HEART IT WILL GIVE U A HEART ATTACK AFTER ....

ANYWAY IM NOT SAYING ALL OF THE FILIPINAS ARE LIKE THAT WHAT IM SAYING IS 90 PERCENT OF IT AND ONLY 10 % JUST WONDERING AROUND THE WORLD....NO HEARTFEELING KABABAYANS JUST SHARING MY EXPERIENCE.....

raindear26
20th June 2008, 11:26
MY HUSBAND AND I ALWAYS HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS OF WHAT FILIPINA LIKE HE THINKS THEY ALL WANT U TO BE FRIENDLY WITH THEM BUT AS WHAT U SAID THEY JUST EAT U FROM BEHIND ....I DO LIKE MEETING FILIPINA BUT AFYTER MEETING HERE FEW TIMES ALL UR CONVERSATION WILL TURN TO ..ABOUT OH JUST SEND SOME MONEY TODAY AND ITS ONLY LIKE THIS ...OR THAT..OR I JUST SEND SOME MONEY TO PAY THE PROPERTY I JUST BOUGTH ...OR HOW IS UR HUSBAND IS HE GIVING U ENOUGH MONEY ...OHHHHHHHH I JUST CANT PUT UP ALL THIS ....:bigcry:ALL U TALK ABOUT IS JUST NONSENSE AND GIVING U ALL THIS JUST TO SEE IF U GOT MORE THAN HERS.....SAD SAD SAD SAD...NOT GOOD FOR THE BRAIN...AND HEART IT WILL GIVE U A HEART ATTACK AFTER ....

ANYWAY IM NOT SAYING ALL OF THE FILIPINAS ARE LIKE THAT WHAT IM SAYING IS 90 PERCENT OF IT AND ONLY 10 % JUST WONDERING AROUND THE WORLD....NO HEARTFEELING KABABAYANS JUST SHARING MY EXPERIENCE.....

same here... that's why here in UK i only have 1 Filipina friend and she's like my mother as well...

Cheryl Tyndall
21st June 2008, 15:19
Its the same here in Essex. OMG! Whenever i see pinay looking women, i also say hi. If she ignores me, i will touch her shoulder and look straight to her eyes, smiling, and ask " are you from the Philippines?" Then she can't ignore me anymore.. and i give her an idea at the same time..

charlwill
21st June 2008, 18:22
Its the same here in Essex. OMG! Whenever i see pinay looking women, i also say hi. If she ignores me, i will touch her shoulder and look straight to her eyes, smiling, and ask " are you from the Philippines?" Then she can't ignore me anymore.. and i give her an idea at the same time..

Not only in Essex!! but everywhere, which ever part of the world. It's a GLOBAL sickness of filipinas. Sad, sad, sad.... but it's true.

andypaul
21st June 2008, 19:40
Not only in Essex!! but everywhere, which ever part of the world. It's a GLOBAL sickness of filipinas. Sad, sad, sad.... but it's true.

Not just Phills.

I would not chat to someone just because they are white or a brit. But plenty try to do to me when im with my family and friends in phill or elsewhere italy for example when visting the wifes mum.

Unless they needed assitance in anyway, please let me spend quality time with my Family and friends.

gWaPito
22nd June 2008, 02:16
Not just Phills.

I would not chat to someone just because they are white or a brit. But plenty try to do to me when im with my family and friends in phill or elsewhere italy for example when visting the wifes mum.

Unless they needed assitance in anyway, please let me spend quality time with my Family and friends.

Could be only being polite?:)

andypaul
22nd June 2008, 07:37
Could be only being polite?:)

Indeed they could and i would always greet someone who greets me and often i greet or smile at someone who doesnt.

Its the people who with lots of others about single you out as your a brit and have to chat for that single fact i dont get. All that we Brits/english speakers/westerners should stick together stuff.

Possibly in Phill if you not been to the UK for a long time you wanna catch up with whats happening. But not when for example its a fellow weekender in Italy, why dont they try to practise their italian on some of the older people for example who have time to chat or the shopkeepers who i find are very chatty in italy if you speak to them in even a little italian mixed with english:Erm:

Seen it in Phill in say one of the malls im there minding my own business and chatting away in my own unique brand of taglish or even english because many of the wifes friends and younger family members want to practise their english.
Once a brit guy saw me and came over as the wife was not to well and he needed directions to a pharmacy, of course the Wife and I went out of our way to help infact went with them like we all would.

But others will come up and a few have been quite offensive in the way they speak about the locals or local way of doing things:NoNo:
Why didn't they tell all the locals this they had to walk past to speak to me:Erm:

KeithD
22nd June 2008, 09:04
GRUMPY FORUM MEMBER AWARD 2008

ANDY

:icon_win:

:D

andypaul
22nd June 2008, 10:30

ANDY

Thank you im touched:omg:

Far happier meeting people regardless of their background rather than only speaking to be just like me:D (that would be scary)
Pre meeting my Wife and going Phil. I had far more non white indigeous friends and associates than people from a similar background so never felt only White middle class brits were the only people i could speak to comfortably.

But others are different to me and wish to stay among their own, thats their choice and should be respected also i feel.

kimmi
23rd June 2008, 12:32

ANDY

:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::doh:doh:NoNo::NoNo:

Pepe n Pilar
23rd June 2008, 13:07
Because i'm so eager to meet filipinas here so everytime i go to the town center and happen to see a pinay i say "hi are u a filipina?" Then there's conversation. One time i did this and i met lady A we exchanged contact numbers. After a week i met ladyB wherein i also did the first move and so we had a small talk. During the conversation she asked me if i already have filipina friends and i said she is the 2nd since i just arrived here. I said i only met one that is ladyA, her face can't be described and started talking abt etc and etc. I didn't know that these 2 are formerly friends and they belong to separate groups now. After a couple of days, Lady A texted and just said hello and how am i doing and said if she can get my homeline no. and so i gave it. During the conversation she also asked the same question if i already have friends and, i answered the same. Lady A asked so many personal questions that is not supposed to be done to a person whom she had met only once like the job of my hubby, hw many bedrooms does my house has etc etc. The ffg week i met ladyB. While walking we met ladyC and i was introduced by lady B to her. Lady C said "ah yes i have heard your name already, you met Miss X?" I said no, i don't know her. Maybe it was Lady A who told her friends that she had met a new filipina last week.
Then Lady B invited me to her house for lunch which she said is very near and just a walking distance and so i went. She had shown me her dresses, talk abt material things bought by her husband and talked abt her fellow pinay friends. She also mentioned abt remittances they sent to their families and are comparing the amounts. I just listened. Maybe these are some of the reasons why some filipinas doesn't want or not eager to meet fellow filipinas anymore. Now when i see filipinas i just look at them and thought of my experience. My eagerness was converted to nevermind.......

vbkelly
23rd June 2008, 14:03
Because i'm so eager to meet filipinas here so everytime i went to the town center and happen to see a pinay i say "hi are u a filipina?" Then there's conversation. One time i did this and i met lady A we exchanged contact numbers. After a week i met ladyB wherein i also did the first move and so we had a small talk. During the conversation she asked me if i already have filipina friends and i said she is the 2nd since i just arrived here. I said i only met one that is ladyA, her face can't be described and started talking abt etc and etc. I didn't know that these 2 are formerly friends and they belong to separate groups now. After a couple of days, Lady A texted and just said hello and how am i doing and said if she can get my homeline and so i gave it. During the conversation she also asked the same question if i alfready have friends and and i answered the same. Lady A asked so many personal questions that is not supposed to be done to a person whom she had met only once like the job of my hubby, hw many bedrooms does my house has etc etc. The ffg week i met ladyB. While walking we met ladyC and i was introduced by lady B to her. Lady C said "ah yes i have heard your name already, you met Miss X?" I said no, i don't know her. Maybe it was Lady A who told her friends that she had met a new filipina last week.
Then Lady B invited me to her house for lunch which she said is very near and just a walking distance and so i went. She had shown me her dresses, talk abt material things bought by her husband and talked abt her fellow pinay friends. She also mentioned abt remittances they sent to their families and are comparing the amounts. I just listened. Maybe these are some of the reasons why some filipinas doesn't want or not eager to meet fellow filipinas anymore. Now when i see filipinas i just look at them and thought of my experience. My eagerness was converted to nevermind.......

yes you right sis i had that experience but nevermind that kind of people MAYABANG ika nga

telford
23rd June 2008, 15:05
any way, we didnt go in UK to met filipinas...we're here for our husband and to build a happy family! so,to hell those filipina that are fake,plastic and arte!(oooppsss...)if we can find a nice filipina that can be our close friend, then thats a bonus!

Le'em
1st July 2008, 15:07
Hi, yeah im new here.. and sad to hear all the stories...and i experienced that also once when i and my fiance went to mall to shop for my staff, wow i saw one Pinay with her hubby, her hubby smiled to me but guess what?this girl is trying to look at me like a DRAGON and when i say HI to her she just deadma to the max, as in.... you know.... like WHO ARE YOU???? but anyway she is not happy im sure coz shes not friendly, but coz shes Pinay same as me/us....she better be happy to see me, but what she did was really disgusting coz i even waved to her like I was so happy to see her in this very far away like thousand miles to our homeland and she treated me like that.........im so embarrased that time but its okay...

at home im so sad and feel guilty to what happen and my fiance says, dont worry you can meet someone nice here.....theyre were many here who will be as good as you....

Pinays known to be polite, approachable and nice person inside and out but HELOOOOO whats wrong with them? PWERKI nauna sila dito.. ganoon nalang kung i-treat ka.....Im so sad to know that...theyre like ruining the FILIPINO image.....

funny coz some says they dont want to stay longer in phils anymore as in very HOT there.....oh my its lovely in phils, very and i love being a filipina....

But im so happy theyre were so many nice people in this forum.....Cheers to all...thanks to Sephen, itsme_iye and terrilicious......theyre very nice....

Best wishes to itsme_iye this coming saturday for their wedding....CONGRATULATIONS!!!

God Bless to all of us here

Pepe n Pilar
2nd July 2008, 08:33
Hi Le'em thanks..... You're so nice too.... Thanks i have met some very nice people in here.:)

Mrs.JMajor
2nd July 2008, 10:19
Hi Le'em thanks..... You're so nice too.... Thanks i have met some very nice people in here.:)

Hi She,long time no chat...Good luck on your wedding :Hellooo:Best wishes

Andy
2nd July 2008, 14:25
As others have mentioned, this attitude does occasionally happen & for various reasons. My wife has also noticed an attitude by some Filipina nurses when they see us together, or when she talks to them on her own and mentions that she's married to an Englishman. It's as if their face says "I got here through hard work, you're here because you found yourself a foreigner". If she gets talking to a Filipino when we're shopping she likes to introduce me so that another stereotype of the Westerner being over 50 years older than the wife is proved wrong – I'm only 4 years older than Rose!!!

I sometime see similar negative expressions on people's faces when I say that my wife is from the Philippines. They assume that I "bought" her and that she was only after my passport. A work colleague actually said that to my face when I said that I getting married to a Filipina in the Philippines in 2002.

There are bigots in all cultures and countries.

They also may be TNT (tago ng tago) or an illegal immigrant so they know to keep a low profile and not get too close to anyone especially other Filipinos.

My wife was also advised by her Filipina friend who has lived in the UK since the 1980s not to get too close to other Filipinos as they have a crab mentality – always snapping at each other and/or gossiping. In fact, my sister in law who hopes to come to the UK as a student/caregiver was told this last week at the company’s the orientation session.

Andy
Surrey, UK

Pepe n Pilar
2nd July 2008, 14:32
Thanks jedc143.... yes long time no chat..... HOw about you? How about your annulment? Hope everything is done by this time......

sharon
8th July 2008, 10:54
Im glad here where I live so far I have no problem with other Filipinos infact we always have gatherings at least twice a week. We always have dinner together and playing Bingo or singing karaokes just for fun. We have unity here we help/support each other, such as if someone needs babystting or help in school runs. Our group which consist of more than 10 families, some are both Filipinos couples some are British-Filipina couples. Some nurses who work in the hospital, some are businessmen/women, some are just a plain housewives and some are factory workers. I have some Filipina friends which Im glad that we get on well and we seems have same interest and hobbies such as cooking, gardening and love keeping ourselves fits so we all go out for a walk or run and we always have a great fun.
I guess, if we just always looking at the good side of other people and not on the bad side or weaknesses eventually friendships will grow and will be stronger.

allyn
22nd July 2008, 11:07
well, all the things you said here are true...
there are filipina who is so snubish where ever you go...
but i got lucky coz i met real cool filipina here,in this site...
and also i met a filipina and 2 filipino who are working in the hotel where im working,,,,
if i see filipino in the street, i just look at them, if they smile at me,..then i smile back, but if they dont..well no harm done...

Piamed
22nd July 2008, 11:34
I sometime see similar negative expressions on people's faces when I say that my wife is from the Philippines. They assume that I "bought" her and that she was only after my passport. A work colleague actually said that to my face when I said that I getting married to a Filipina in the Philippines in 2002.I had a woman say that to me a while ago. I cant recall who it was but it was someone really stupid. She caught me by surprise but I still manged a facial expression that caused her to apologise immediately.

They also may be TNT (tago ng tago) or an illegal immigrant so they know to keep a low profile and not get too close to anyone especially other Filipinos.

My wife was also advised by her Filipina friend who has lived in the UK since the 1980s not to get too close to other Filipinos as they have a crab mentality – always snapping at each other and/or gossiping. In fact, my sister in law who hopes to come to the UK as a student/caregiver was told this last week at the company’s the orientation session.

Andy
Surrey, UKThe crab mentality is an awful feature that impacts so many people.

Many South Asians, most notably Indians, are known to lift one among them to a greater height and then that person will lower a ladder so that others can ascend to the same height.

There are many groups of people, that acknowledge that it is more common for them to systematically pull anyone down that is attempting to improve themselves or indeed just get on with their lives.

ash_joy2008
22nd July 2008, 11:34
good luck...my friend!!!

jane82
31st July 2008, 17:51
I'm always trying to find ways to talk to pinoy when I come across them. In airports i usually try 'saan ang CR' (where is the toilet) as an ice breaker. T

Good conversation starter.

maybe it's just the wrong time & wrong place :Erm:

i'm always pinoy spotting, lots where i live, 2 families live only a few houses a way from us, each time we go past their house and thier in the garden, i keep saying to wife, to go and say hello to them, she will not :NoNo:, and they never say anything to her :doh, stalemate :D

A possible reason. We also do Pinoy spotting. :icon_lol:

goodluck to u.

True. Don't assume every Filipino or any race for this matter will treat you like this.

btw, i am pinoy and i have experienced what trends5squared has gone through and it's definitely not pleasant. i just tell me, myself and I that it's their loss :Cuckoo:.

Ditto.

Said this before and yes i know its nice to have friends with the same background and speak a common tongue. Share foods and jokes with.

But some of the truest friends have been from countries she had never heard off a few years back.

I hope actually im sure your meet Phils but don't miss out on making friends from other backgrounds. Many good friends of mine have totally different backgrounds to me and they all enrich my life.

Exactly. The first part is the reason why it's nice to have friends from our own country as well especially when we're so far away from our country of birth because we can find more things in common with each other. Having things in common may not always be the case, but it's quite likely. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

im very much excited to talk to them but just always disappointed coz everytime i spoke to them first seems they wr not interested to to talk more..sometimes im wondering why...are they shy or afraid???i dont know really reasons why some like that kind.

Don't worry, there are always more to meet and greet.

Its unfortunate that they are like that. It was suggested to me a while ago that they see you as different if you are in a mixed-marriage. The other factor may be 'westernisation', where they adopt western ways of keeping to themselves - especially in the bigger cities.

Good point.

It might be a bit of a controversial thing to say on here, but from whispers I've heard, and also from scenes I have actually observed on occasion, it seems there is a kind of snobbery displayed by certain Filipinas such as some of the nurses and others, who because they got to this country through hard work and education as they would see it, they now see themselves as somehow better than those who got here simply through marriage and they don't particularly want to mix with them.

Iain.

There is definitely snobbery. When educated OFWs who goes to the U.K. distances themselves, it's probably their way of segregating themselves from other Filipinos who got married to get to the U.K. It's their blatant way of showing they think they're better than you.

: I think its best not to make friends with people like them "judgemental"...

Yeh!!

If you smile at them, some will smile back to you (if interested), some will just ignore you and look away (as if they have not noticed you)...Like I give a ***t:D [/QUOTE]

I think that's just life in general. Some people are friendly and others aren't, it's the same in any country and culture. It is just a nice pleasure to meet friendly people as against the miserable ones. "When you're smiling, the whole world smiles at you...."

Yep I've the same problem for being mistaken for different races.

I also sense a degree of separation between those here to work and remit and those who are married. The workers, mostly nurses and carers, are often too busy and tired, to attend. In fact they are frequently almost invisible off duty, because they work so much!

Partly explains it.

As others have mentioned, this attitude does occasionally happen & for various reasons. My wife has also noticed an attitude by some Filipina nurses when they see us together, or when she talks to them on her own and mentions that she's married to an Englishman. It's as if their face says "I got here through hard work, you're here because you found yourself a foreigner". If she gets talking to a Filipino when we're shopping she likes to introduce me so that another stereotype of the Westerner being over 50 years older than the wife is proved wrong – I'm only 4 years older than Rose!!!

I sometime see similar negative expressions on people's faces when I say that my wife is from the Philippines. They assume that I "bought" her and that she was only after my passport.

Andy
Surrey, UK

Best answer.

pennybarry
31st July 2008, 19:28
well, all the things you said here are true...
there are filipina who is so snubish where ever you go...
but i got lucky coz i met real cool filipina here,in this site...
and also i met a filipina and 2 filipino who are working in the hotel where im working,,,,
if i see filipino in the street, i just look at them, if they smile at me,..then i smile back, but if they dont..well no harm done...

Same here Allyn, This morning on my way to our office, I saw a lady and she look like a filipina. She was smiling while walking towards my direction. So I smiled at her and asked her if she's a filipina. But she said I'm a Thai. I didn't change my reaction, I was impressed by her english after telling me she just arrived 3 months ago. Wow! she looks nice and friendly. I learned that she worked with computer before as SAP. I am not too familiar with SAP but she mentioned she's looking for a computer job. I told my boss about it and he said that's good! maybe someday we'll hire an asian so you'll feel more happy:D.
That's great ! I wish to have asian friends at work:xxgrinning--00xx3: