PDA

View Full Version : Teaching in the UK

Eljohno
5th May 2006, 22:33
Hi guys,

my wife was a qualified teacher in the Philippines and i was wondering if anyone knew if these qualifications where enough to get a teaching job in the UK or would more qualifications be needed?

Admin
6th May 2006, 06:50
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; May 5 2006, 10&#58;33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi guys,
my wife was a qualified teacher in the Philippines and i was wondering if anyone knew if these qualifications where enough to get a teaching job in the UK or would more qualifications be needed?
[/b][/quote]
Simple answer, no. She&#39;ll need to go to teaching college for about 3 years style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

Better to become Santa&#39;s little helper in the classroom it&#39;s quicker. You&#39;ll have to ask the local education dept though, as they have different policies per region.

Eljohno
7th May 2006, 17:01
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; May 6 2006, 06&#58;50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Simple answer, no. She&#39;ll need to go to teaching college for about 3 years style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

Better to become Santa&#39;s little helper in the classroom it&#39;s quicker. You&#39;ll have to ask the local education dept though, as they have different policies per region.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for that Keith, i know Rhea would be happy even being a classroom assistant or something similiar but for now anything would be good.

lefthandseat
7th May 2006, 20:02
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eljohno &#064; May 7 2006, 05&#58;01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks for that Keith, i know Rhea would be happy even being a classroom assistant or something similiar but for now anything would be good.
[/b][/quote]

The UK authorities do allow teachers from other countries to teach here using their present qualifications - eg S.Africa, NZ, Oz etc

So, it is worth checking up with your local authority.

However, the main problem may well be the requirement for an Enhanced Criminal Record Bureau clearance.

You would need to check whether a check from her own country would be acceptable.

The same would apply with ANY job involving contact with children.

walesrob
7th May 2006, 20:23
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(av8york &#064; May 7 2006, 08&#58;02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

However, the main problem may well be the requirement for an Enhanced Criminal Record Bureau clearance.

[/b][/quote]

The CRB check has no requirements, whether enhanced or standard, its just simply a check. Elsa had to have an enhanced when she started work at the Care Home, and she had only been on the UK for a few weeks. The CRB apparently do check records if the applicant is from a foreign country like the Philippines, for example, and will check any previous addresses.

What amuses me with the CRB is that despite the fact Elsa had NBI Police Clearance just before she left Philippines (literally just 4 weeks before starting work in the UK), and had a certificate to prove it, the CRB will not accept it, and will always request a new updated police record directly with the relevant authorities in the Philippines at time of application. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

lefthandseat
8th May 2006, 00:56
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 7 2006, 08&#58;23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The CRB check has no requirements, whether enhanced or standard, its just simply a check. Elsa had to have an enhanced when she started work at the Care Home, and she had only been on the UK for a few weeks. The CRB apparently do check records if the applicant is from a foreign country like the Philippines, for example, and will check any previous addresses.

What amuses me with the CRB is that despite the fact Elsa had NBI Police Clearance just before she left Philippines (literally just 4 weeks before starting work in the UK), and had a certificate to prove it, the CRB will not accept it, and will always request a new updated police record directly with the relevant authorities in the Philippines at time of application. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif
[/b][/quote]

I was interested to read your comments on the CRB check. It confirms to me that the whole system is run more for the profit of Capita (who administer it) than for any other reason.

I assume you are aware of the crazy process whereby a check remains valid for a number of years, but if the check is older than 12 months a NEW check has to be carried out for any different employer. Some pratt invented the term &#39;portability&#39; for this&#33;&#33;&#33; Perhaps we should all go to live in the Phils&#33;&#33;

ervenescence
13th May 2006, 09:37
Its a shame that UK didn&#39;t recognize of what I&#39;ve accomplished in the Philippines, its surprise me that my diploma,certificates, and affiliations are just rubbish here.

disappointed&#33;

so start again, back to college and go with the flow. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

Admin
13th May 2006, 15:37
We don&#39;t like to admit that Filipino&#39;s from UG UG Land are better educated than us style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 08:36
Yeah it could be.
They underestimated this people from the jungle and they must admit that its racism.

deepete
14th May 2006, 13:35
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; May 14 2006, 08&#58;36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah it could be.
They underestimated this people from the jungle and they must admit that its racism.
[/b][/quote]

We have different standards from yours as have lots of countries around the world. If I was to try to work in Australia they would not always accept my qualifications.

Racism has been used many times by people who want to change our standards and its getting tiresome. You are not forced to stay here, and there&#96;s plenty of racism in the P.I. against foreigners, different prices for kano&#96;s, cant own land etc.

Glasshouses and stones comes to mind style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif

ivor&mel
14th May 2006, 13:48
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; May 14 2006, 01&#58;35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
We have different standards from yours as have lots of countries around the world. If I was to try to work in Australia they would not always accept my qualifications.

Racism has been used many times by people who want to change our standards and its getting tiresome. You are not forced to stay here, and there&#96;s plenty of racism in the P.I. against foreigners, different prices for kano&#96;s, cant own land etc.

Glasshouses and stones comes to mind style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif
[/b][/quote]
"Two wrongs don&#39;t make a right" also comes to mind...

Ivor and Mel

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 15:38
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>and there&#96;s plenty of racism in the P.I. against foreigners, different prices for kano&#96;s, cant own land etc.
[/b][/quote]

How about Brit was being called &#39;Hey Joe&#39;&#33; while walking on the smelly streets in the Philippines, do you consider it racism?

walesrob
14th May 2006, 15:53
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; May 14 2006, 03&#58;38 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
How about Brit was being called &#39;Hey Joe&#39;&#33; while walking on the smelly streets in the Philippines, do you consider it racism?
[/b][/quote]

Come on guys calm down, we all know the reality of the situation. I&#39;ve been called Hey Joe many times in Manila and Tacloban, but Elsa tells me its because the Philippines has "colonial mentality", where any white person is by default assumed to be an American. This is understandable as the Philippines was run by/administered by/occupied by*(delete as appropriate) USA during the early part of 20th Century.

Don&#39;t forget there is the same Hey Joe sceneario in other countries around the world - indeed I&#39;ve met Americans who assume I&#39;m Australian style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif Not all countries of the world have the same degree of education we have here in the UK, so live and let live, thats what I say.

Admin
14th May 2006, 16:19
I liked &#39;Hey Joe&#39; , as I&#39;d reply &#39;What do you want style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/furious3.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_tonguew.gif head" and strangely they&#39;d go quiet style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

baboyako
14th May 2006, 16:28
Racism is the card which is so easy to play when you&#39;re not getting your own way.
An engineering (or insert qualification here) degree from an english university, is different from an american degree, is different from a german degree, is different from a pinoy degree.

Even UK degrees are seen as worthless & we need to take a GRE exam or GMAT etc.

Thats not racism. thats just how things are. go to college - or study at home & pass the appropriate papers for your field of work.

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 16:58
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Even UK degrees are seen as worthless & we need to take a GRE exam or GMAT etc.
[/b][/quote]

Oh yeah im not surprise at all, even in the UK lots of men has rejected with the english women who have highest standards and being superior to them. So this poor men has decided to travel to the third world country and get a wife that they can control with? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif

deepete
14th May 2006, 17:06
I dont need to calm down , everytime someone cant get their own way here in the Uk the racist card gets played, thanks to the liberal do gooders it still works.

Many times in the P.I. someone shouted Hey Joe to me, sometimes followed by F--- Off, nice ah. The P.I. can teach the world about racism, they hate the Japs,Koreans,Chineese and at the moment the 5/6 Indian money lenders are the target with so many being murdered that the Indian Goverment has posted warnings.

This is the greatest country in the world to live, despite the grey weather, politicians, Liverpool and Arsenal FC, why else would the whole world try to get here.

Our freedoms are being eroded, cmon you Brits fight for it and dont put up with the name calling style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif

baboyako
14th May 2006, 18:44
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; May 14 2006, 05&#58;06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>..cmon you Brits fight for it and dont put up with the name calling style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif
[/b][/quote]

But that wouldn&#39;t be British would it. Rise above it, stiff upper lip style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

deepete
14th May 2006, 19:34
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 14 2006, 06&#58;44 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
But that wouldn&#39;t be British would it. Rise above it, stiff upper lip style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif
[/b][/quote]

Yes, unfortunately style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

QUOTE(ervenescence)

Oh yeah im not surprise at all, even in the UK lots of men has rejected with the english women who have highest standards and being superior to them. So this poor men has decided to travel to the third world country and get a wife that they can control with? Doh.gif

So thats the mens reasons sorted, whats the Filipina reasons? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

kristleh
14th May 2006, 20:19
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 14 2006, 03&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Racism is the card which is so easy to play when you&#39;re not getting your own way.
An engineering (or insert qualification here) degree from an english university, is different from an american degree, is different from a german degree, is different from a pinoy degree.

Even UK degrees are seen as worthless & we need to take a GRE exam or GMAT etc.

Thats not racism. thats just how things are. go to college - or study at home & pass the appropriate papers for your field of work.
[/b][/quote]

I&#39;ve spoken to a representative of the British Council Manila during one of their education fairs as I am really interested in obtaining a Master&#39;s degree in the UK. She said that GRE exam and GMAT are not needed at all. And that grades are important, however, the research proposal has more bearing. Is this true? Anyway, she said that the only diploma recognized by the UK is the one from the University of the Philippines. Those who did not graduate from UP are required to take a Master&#39;s degree here in the Phils. for your degree to be recognized as an equivalent to an honor&#39;s degree in the UK.

It&#39;s not really racism and I can&#39;t really say they are being unfair. in my opinion, they should also be more aware. Although the Philippines is a third world country and the quality of education is diminishing, we still manage to produce many scholars. Unfortunately, some are pirated by rich countries and some personally chose to work elsewhere hence the Philippines do not really make it that big in the academe. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

kristleh
14th May 2006, 20:32
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; May 14 2006, 04&#58;06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I dont need to calm down , everytime someone cant get their own way here in the Uk the racist card gets played, thanks to the liberal do gooders it still works.

Many times in the P.I. someone shouted Hey Joe to me, sometimes followed by F--- Off, nice ah. The P.I. can teach the world about racism, they hate the Japs,Koreans,Chineese and at the moment the 5/6 Indian money lenders are the target with so many being murdered that the Indian Goverment has posted warnings.

This is the greatest country in the world to live, despite the grey weather, politicians, Liverpool and Arsenal FC, why else would the whole world try to get here.

Our freedoms are being eroded, cmon you Brits fight for it and dont put up with the name calling style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif
[/b][/quote]

Oh but the Japs, Koreans, and Chinese also hate us so the feeling is just mutual. Well, I&#39;m not generalizing, but many of these people perceive the Filipinas as prostitutes and Filipinos in general as inferior in comparison to them. I should know, I am Filipino-Chinese and I grew up near Chinatown (Binondo). Many people are slowly becoming more open minded about Filipinos but a number of them still see us as pests. My paternal grandfather (may he rest in peace) and his sister denied me as her granddaughter (in front of me) just because I&#39;m not chinese enough for her. This case happens to many people and the golden rule "Don&#39;t marry a Filipino/Filipina" still is practiced today.

Our high school counselor went to China and when she told her where she came from, some stupid Chinese said that Filipinas are prostitues. As if there are no prostitutes in China. The Koreans are increasing in number here but they prefer to separate from us, according to an informal research (not large scale), they view Filipinos as untrustworthy. Even some stupid professor Amy Chua published that Filipinos are jealous of the chinese because they control the majority of our country which is true but not all Filipinos want to become tycoons and professional tax-evaders like Lucio Tan and Henry Sy.

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 21:09
I agree with you Kristleh about the majority of this chinky people who saw us Filipino as trash. They hated us, so there must be a reason of why we hated them in return.

But what about here in the UK, have you ever experienced that theres some freakin people who asked you a stupid questions?
For example;
--&#62; Do you have electricity, television, refrigerator, cd player in your place?
--&#62; Do you know Madonna, Kylie, Beatles?
--&#62;Whats your clothes like in the Philippines? Do you wear swimwear?

I think its very personal, they think we are that uneducated.

and other questions are;
--&#62; Where is Philippines? Which continent is that?
--&#62; Is there any shopping center there, cinema?
--&#62; Do you have any course in your place what did you do there, and what you gonna do here?
--&#62; What does your husband do? How old is he? and you?
--&#62; Are you happy?

baboyako
14th May 2006, 21:15
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kristleh &#064; May 14 2006, 08&#58;19 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>And that grades are important, however, the research proposal has more bearing. Is this true?
[/b][/quote]

Pretty much. Remember that an MSc in many cases is just a &#39;transition degree&#39; + research project. Some unis (Cambridge for sure) will give you a MSc if you work in the field where you took your degree & write a paper.

Getting onto an Masters couse is much easier than the corresponding Degree course - the research project you choose is obviously important - it would pay to find out what fields your tutors are interested in & align your application with their interests. (Why would they want to teach you if you were interested in different things to them afterall?)

I don&#39;t see why you shouldn&#39;t sit a GRE/GMAT? It certainly isn&#39;t going to harm an application. If you think the filipino degree is just as good, then you will pass a GRE - no thats NOT being unfair - its the same for everyone else&#33;&#33;

deepete
14th May 2006, 21:28
Kristleh you havent denied the racism in the P.I. and Ervenescence you just confirmed yours so dont keep throwing stones, and the reason Filipina are marrying foreigners? is it because you think we have racism in common style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

kristleh
14th May 2006, 21:34
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 14 2006, 08&#58;15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Pretty much. Remember that an MSc in many cases is just a &#39;transition degree&#39; + research project. Some unis (Cambridge for sure) will give you a MSc if you work in the field where you took your degree & write a paper.

Getting onto an Masters couse is much easier than the corresponding Degree course - the research project you choose is obviously important - it would pay to find out what fields your tutors are interested in & align your application with their interests. (Why would they want to teach you if you were interested in different things to them afterall?)

I don&#39;t see why you shouldn&#39;t sit a GRE/GMAT? It certainly isn&#39;t going to harm an application. If you think the filipino degree is just as good, then you will pass a GRE - no thats NOT being unfair - its the same for everyone else&#33;&#33;
[/b][/quote]

I still have two years to go before I graduate in college here in the Philippines but thanks for the tips. It&#39;s really good that at least a number of UK universities are visiting the country for education fairs. The representatives were informative, helpful, and really funny. I actually chatted with them a bit longer than others.

I&#39;ll probably take GRE in the future as it is also required in American unis so I could have more options. I will probably start to review next year. And maybe familiarize myself with British English (spelling, grammar, etc). At first, I was really clueless why others use whilst, not while, program, not programme, or revise, not review. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif And God help me with the accent. hehe. Thanks to BBC for their audio lab. I can familiarize myself with different accents within the UK. I like Scottish (Glasweigian?) accent. It sounds sexy. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif

kristleh
14th May 2006, 21:50
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; May 14 2006, 08&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Kristleh you havent denied the racism in the P.I. and Ervenescence you just confirmed yours so dont keep throwing stones, and the reason Filipina are marrying foreigners? is it because you think we have racism in common style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif
[/b][/quote]

Well, sorry, I was distracted by your post about us hating the Japs, Chinese, and Koreans. Of course, there is racism everywhere, whether in the Philippines or in the Uk. Racial stereotyping is something that happens whether you are in a poor country like Pinas or USA. Even fellow Filipinos (Chinese to Filipino, FIlipino to Chinese, or Filipinos to Indian immigrants )do that to each other. It also has something to do with class. The elites tend to separate themselves from the poor, the masses which make up a large portion of our popullation. Ignorance and ethnocentricism causes racism. Just as there are Filipinos who think every white guy comes from America, there are also those who think we are backward and uneducated.

Marrying a foreigner is not on every Filipina&#39;s agenda. I&#39;m still 20 and have no friends or acquaintance who married a foreigner or whose ultimate goal in life is to marry a foreigner to help her escape our country.Although there are some gold-diggers who want the faster way, majority of the Filipinos know how to earn their own money that&#39;s why 10% of our population is spread out all over the world working. Some Filipinas marry for money and to be able to live in first world countries. Some do it for love. There are also foreigners who marry Filipinas for love and some to satisfy their Asian fetishism (submissive and passive Asian wife who is a virgin). There are just good and bad apples everywhere.

ervenescence
14th May 2006, 22:26
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; May 14 2006, 09&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

Bad me to utter the word Racism about my degree in the Philippines which is not being recognise here in the UK. I understand that we have different level of education and as stranger to this land we Filipino must follow their system to meet their criteria and to be qualify with their standards. I should not used the dodgy word which is very disturbing to you Mr. deepete, as to what ive noticed that you are being more so defensive with regards to this matter. Which makes me wonder?

To be honest with you UK is a great country and its not the place who is a racial its the individual who has a ....... attitude.

btw, pardon me to used the word racism. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Peace

deepete
14th May 2006, 23:27
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; May 14 2006, 10&#58;26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Bad me to utter the word Racism about my degree in the Philippines which is not being recognise here in the UK. I understand that we have different level of education and as stranger to this land we Filipino must follow their system to meet their criteria and to be qualify with their standards. I should not used the dodgy word which is very disturbing to you Mr. deepete, as to what ive noticed that you are being more so defensive with regards to this matter. Which makes me wonder?

To be honest with you UK is a great country and its not the place who is a racial its the individual who has a ....... attitude.

btw, pardon me to used the word racism. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif

Peace
[/b][/quote]

I answered your comment on racism and all you have done is confirmed yours and got personal with it. Please expand on the last sentence in the above paragraph.

I will always try to defend my country from what I see as unfair criticism, even though I am critical about issues aswell.

BTW Kristleh, I wasnt asking you about the reason for marriages,illuminating though it was on fetishes,but
Ervenescence bought it up.

I think my wife had a fetish with my nose style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

kristleh
14th May 2006, 23:41
BTW Kristleh, I wasnt asking you about the reason for marriages,illuminating though it was on fetishes,but

Maybe it&#39;s just that I have poor comprehension skills. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif Or maybe you should reread your posts. Or maybe humans were born with blinders. I can always say about something whether somebody asked me or not. Or do I have to wait for another question for me to post something again? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

ervenescence
15th May 2006, 08:07
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; May 14 2006, 11&#58;27 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I answered your comment on racism and all you have done is confirmed yours and got personal with it. Please expand on the last sentence in the above paragraph.

I will always try to defend my country from what I see as unfair criticism, even though I am critical about issues aswell.

I think my wife had a fetish with my nose style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif
[/b][/quote]

Its nothing to do with the country, its the bloody people who makes it worst&#33;
Im done with you dee pests&#33;, what a loser nutcase you are. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kristleh &#064; May 14 2006, 11&#58;41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Maybe it&#39;s just that I have poor comprehension skills. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif Or maybe you should reread your posts. Or maybe humans were born with blinders. I can always say about something whether somebody asked me or not. Or do I have to wait for another question for me to post something again? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]

or maybe he reached the age of what we call &#39;sign of progress&#39; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

deepete
15th May 2006, 10:36
Sorry to see the subject deteriate into personal insults, the country is getting worse through importing racists.

We had all night to settle down and you come back with that. This site is becoming the ervenescence site.

In the words of Eric Cantana.you have been following to many trawlers

walesrob
15th May 2006, 12:20
I think its time for the padlock style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

Admin
15th May 2006, 15:09
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 15 2006, 12&#58;20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I think its time for the padlock style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif
[/b][/quote]
...but can we find one big enough for Pete&#39;s mouth? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/peepwall.gif