PDA

View Full Version : Philippines Population Climbs, Food Problems Loom

Win2Win
18th April 2008, 05:42
PHILIPPINES: April 18, 2008 MANILA - The Philippines' population has grown over two percent each year since 2000, the government said on Thursday, but experts said Asia's biggest Catholic nation was...

More... (http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?rid=14258964&cat=0267775d6f1c3971)

keithAngel
18th April 2008, 08:45
MADE IT CLEAR

"She has made it very clear she will not purchase contraceptives, she will not promote any other method except what the Church approves and she has very strong links with the most conservative elements of the Church," said Alberto Romualdez, a former health secretary.

Famine and War are of course population control mechanisms too , albeit harsh ,

But perhaps the Vatican will rather make up any shortfalls in food to their adherents from their huge resources and wealth and demonstrate the sustainability of their beliefs

PeterB
22nd April 2008, 15:25
I know that it's rather short term, but on my second visit here, last July, I knew that there would be a shortage of rice ...
Many farmers in this area are turning paddy fields over to growing bananas for export.

andypaul
22nd April 2008, 18:32
I know that it's rather short term, but on my second visit here, last July, I knew that there would be a shortage of rice ...
Many farmers in this area are turning paddy fields over to growing bananas for export.

As well as Export foods i have heard Biofuels and plam oill are either been grown or lined up to be grown in phill as they are in Indoensia and destroying huge areas of once arable land :NoNo:

If any realtives talk about Biofuels or palm oil make sure they look into the possible effect on the land longterm.

Sangoma
22nd April 2008, 18:46
As well as Export foods i have heard Biofuels and plam oill are either been grown or lined up to be grown in phill as they are in Indoensia and destroying huge areas of once arable land :NoNo:

If any realtives talk about Biofuels or palm oil make sure they look into the possible effect on the land longterm.

I got this from a friend there a couple of days ago:-

"People in the mountain was worried about the sudden increase of our rice. Farmers have this kind of corn that could not be eaten by people because it will not good to your stomach like you feel diarehea when eating this kind of Corn. The corn brand called "RR". But farmers like to plant this kind, because it only needs a spray to kill the grass and so it will give good harvest. But only those who have money could plant this kind. People on the 3rd class cannot afford to buy this kind. So those laborer in the mountain has lost their work because the farmers planting this use spray instead of human labor.

And now, it seems that people has no choice. Those very poor would ratehr eat this corn and even they will feel like diarehea later, so taht there is something to feed. But how about the kids? My question, still unresolve, because I was no longer there."

KeithD
23rd April 2008, 10:14
Why would that bother them? More money in growing biofuels, and that's the bottom line for capitalism.

aposhark
23rd April 2008, 11:27
That's over 1.5 million babies born every year.

I think this is the real problem :NoNo:

aromulus
23rd April 2008, 11:41
That's over 1.5 million babies born every year.:NoNo:

Ok, I had my fair share over the years....:omg:

But on a more serious note, Keith is right.

Growing crops for bio-fuels, although very commendable in principle, is causing shortages on other food fronts leading to price increases allround.

Take wheat..... Millions of tons of the stuff are burnt in power stations nowadays because it is cheaper than oil and gas and hardly leave any residue to shift... :Erm:
This has created a shortage causing the price of bread, pasta and cereals to go up unchecked.... :NoNo:
Farmers don't give a hoot who they sell the stuff to, if they get the right price for it.... :NoNo:
Next it could be potatoes.
Potatoes=vodka=ethyl alcohol=fuel.....:omg:
The list is endless...

Which ever way you look at it.... = profit...

andypaul
23rd April 2008, 18:05
Why would that bother them? More money in growing biofuels, and that's the bottom line for capitalism.

I saw a programe recently where they said the land which was virgin rainforest land was being used for biofuel for a few years and then the soil was NG and the biofuel companies moved on.
I can't remeber the full reason and it was not as simple as wallop some fertilizer on the land.

Basically your local farmer would make a few quid then have some very useless farmland.

Im sure the Biofuel wholesalers would not warn your family that and mr whitey would have to pick up the pieces.

andypaul
23rd April 2008, 18:07
Ok, I had my fair share over the years....:omg:

But on a more serious note, Keith is right.

Growing crops for bio-fuels, although very commendable in principle, is causing shortages on other food fronts leading to price increases allround.

Take wheat..... Millions of tons of the stuff are burnt in power stations nowadays because it is cheaper than oil and gas and hardly leave any residue to shift... :Erm:
This has created a shortage causing the price of bread, pasta and cereals to go up unchecked.... :NoNo:
Farmers don't give a hoot who they sell the stuff to, if they get the right price for it.... :NoNo:
Next it could be potatoes.
Potatoes=vodka=ethyl alcohol=fuel.....:omg:
The list is endless...

Which ever way you look at it.... = profit...

Sugarcane is used in southa america apparently the scale of the farms are huge and take up huge areas compared to the amount of food you might grow. But they are encouraged to grow bio fuels.

KeithD
23rd April 2008, 19:04
Brazil uses 80% biofuel from sugarcane, but they have done since the 70's and had it all sorted until the Western companies recently stepped and now has them cutting down the rain forest and releasing millions of tons of CO2 just to keep Western politicians happy.

This is a picture of the most recent Western Leader Biofuel meeting, you may recognise Mr Brown, and Georgie Bush.....

:icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew:
:icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew::icon_tonguew:

andypaul
23rd April 2008, 19:50
Brazil uses 80% biofuel from sugarcane, but they have done since the 70's and had it all sorted until the Western companies recently stepped and now has them cutting down the rain forest and releasing millions of tons of CO2 just to keep Western politicians happy.

This is a picture of the most recent Western Leader Biofuel meeting, you may recognise Mr Brown, and Georgie Bush.....

yup from what i read Mr bush and his oil buddies are looking to corner the market.thats why in a twisted way they don't back from the top a lot of the Worldwide enviromental issues. Otherwise the biofuel market can't be wrapped up quietly by them.