PDA

View Full Version : if we marry here in Philippines

Ecxy
4th May 2006, 06:27
hello everyone..just a jew question run through my mind..in case we will marry here in Phil with my husband to be..this year..we plan..hopefully..how many years..or shall we apply a visa for me to come to UK..is still the same process that i could go to UK..
for the past 5 years he live in France..and now he is in Hongkong we are required to get his Certificate of No Impedement to maryy..as we need for our wedding in Phil..how can he get CNI when his not living UK for five years..what shall we do..as the embassy in HK say he cnt get CNI..oh..so confusing..plesae help..and more power

walesrob
4th May 2006, 08:53
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecxy &#064; May 4 2006, 06&#58;27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
hello everyone..just a jew question run through my mind..in case we will marry here in Phil with my husband to be..this year..we plan..hopefully..how many years..or shall we apply a visa for me to come to UK..is still the same process that i could go to UK..
for the past 5 years he live in France..and now he is in Hongkong we are required to get his Certificate of No Impedement to maryy..as we need for our wedding in Phil..how can he get CNI when his not living UK for five years..what shall we do..as the embassy in HK say he cnt get CNI..oh..so confusing..plesae help..and more power
[/b][/quote]

Hi Excy,

A few of us on the forum have married in the Philippines, and its no problem at all, it will make no difference to the visa process. Remember, you are applying for the visa, not your fiance.

The CNI should be issued by a British Embassy in the country where the marraige is taking place. So your fiance will need to get this CNI from the British Embassy in Manila, NOT Hong Kong.

Post back if you need any further information. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

Ecxy
5th May 2006, 05:26
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 4 2006, 07&#58;53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi Excy,

A few of us on the forum have married in the Philippines, and its no problem at all, it will make no difference to the visa process. Remember, you are applying for the visa, not your fiance.

The CNI should be issued by a British Embassy in the country where the marraige is taking place. So your fiance will need to get this CNI from the British Embassy in Manila, NOT Hong Kong.

Post back if you need any further information. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
[/b][/quote]
thankyou for the fast answer..was really little confused..now ..sorry..he was already there in British Ebbassy in Manila last month..and he was advice to get it for 21 clear days but he cnt stay as he need to go back to HK..and ask again if he can get CNI there in HONKONG...and the embassy Manila, say yes he can get it from Hongkong and send it to me by post..and so i can send it to the Embassy Manila to excahnge it to Legal Capacity to Maryy which we need it for our license to marry here in Davao..was really..been struggling up to now that since Nov..last year we plan and we cnt get the proper inf..please help..

walesrob
5th May 2006, 06:46
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecxy &#064; May 5 2006, 05&#58;26 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
thankyou for the fast answer..was really little confused..now ..sorry..he was already there in British Ebbassy in Manila last month..and he was advice to get it for 21 clear days but he cnt stay as he need to go back to HK..and ask again if he can get CNI there in HONKONG...and the embassy Manila, say yes he can get it from Hongkong and send it to me by post..and so i can send it to the Embassy Manila to excahnge it to Legal Capacity to Maryy which we need it for our license to marry here in Davao..was really..been struggling up to now that since Nov..last year we plan and we cnt get the proper inf..please help..
[/b][/quote]

It is true that there needs to be a 21-day waiting period before he can convert that CNI to Legal Capacity. When Elsa and I married, my CNI was obtained here in the UK and it was converted to a Legal Capacity upon my arrival in Philippines.

If he is living in HK, then yes, I would have thought it would be better if he got the CNI from the British Embassy there and change that to Legal Capacity when he arrives in Manila.

I must point out that the CNI is for him, in his name, so sending it to you would be pointless anyway, as he would need to go to the British Embassy Manila to get the CNI converted to Legal Capacity once the 21 days is up. He will need to go to the Consular Section with his passport and a fee to convert the CNI to Legal Capacity.

Hope this makes sense, let us know how you get on.

Ecxy
5th May 2006, 11:21
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 5 2006, 05&#58;46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It is true that there needs to be a 21-day waiting period before he can convert that CNI to Legal Capacity. When Elsa and I married, my CNI was obtained here in the UK and it was converted to a Legal Capacity upon my arrival in Philippines.

If he is living in HK, then yes, I would have thought it would be better if he got the CNI from the British Embassy there and change that to Legal Capacity when he arrives in Manila.

I must point out that the CNI is for him, in his name, so sending it to you would be pointless anyway, as he would need to go to the British Embassy Manila to get the CNI converted to Legal Capacity once the 21 days is up. He will need to go to the Consular Section with his passport and a fee to convert the CNI to Legal Capacity.

Hope this makes sense, let us know how you get on.
[/b][/quote]
Accordingly to the Embassy there in Hongkong..they cant issue a CNI..for him as he was not living in UK for the past five years..but they just advice to him that he will fill up application that we are prepared to marry and will wait it up to 21 days..when no one object..they will forward it to Manila Embassy..and that he can collect License..this part im confused..really..but i guess CNI maybe what they mean,,isnt it..well this just my tought that run and im sharing it so..it can cler my mine some advices..thank..and waiting for some tought..who know better on our siutuation right now..

walesrob
5th May 2006, 12:05
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecxy &#064; May 5 2006, 11&#58;21 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Accordingly to the Embassy there in Hongkong..they cant issue a CNI..for him as he was not living in UK for the past five years..but they just advice to him that he will fill up application that we are prepared to marry and will wait it up to 21 days..when no one object..they will forward it to Manila Embassy..and that he can collect License..this part im confused..really..but i guess CNI maybe what they mean,,isnt it..well this just my tought that run and im sharing it so..it can cler my mine some advices..thank..and waiting for some tought..who know better on our siutuation right now..
[/b][/quote]

Ok Ecxy, I didn&#39;t realise that Gary had been living out of the UK for more than 5 years, but he is still a British passport holder, so this shouldn&#39;t affect the procedure for the CNI? I think its a good idea to follow the advice of the British Embassy in HK.

Anyone else have a view on this?

Ecxy
6th May 2006, 06:00
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 5 2006, 11&#58;05 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Ok Ecxy, I didn&#39;t realise that Gary had been living out of the UK for more than 5 years, but he is still a British passport holder, so this shouldn&#39;t affect the procedure for the CNI? I think its a good idea to follow the advice of the British Embassy in HK.

[/b][/quote]
yes..his not living there for about five years,,he was in France but..some month he go back to work..yeah he maybe still consider a british citizen..quite confusing our situation for now..but thanks for the bit adviced at least it gived me some ideas..hope thjis sort this soon..more power to this forum..and ill post if any problem ill encounter..but i guess the HK Embassy know more on what out siutation is..
by the way how many months does the bristish citzen can stay in HK....as he i know it is 6 months ..is this renewable when expired..?

by the way..is anybody know.what is mean "Notice of Intended Marriage"
anybody can give me some idea of this pls..thank..

walesrob
6th May 2006, 09:53
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecxy &#064; May 6 2006, 06&#58;00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

by the way how many months does the bristish citzen can stay in HK....as he i know it is 6 months ..is this renewable when expired..?

[/b][/quote]

British passport holders are allowed to stay in HK for 180 days without the need for any visa, this is easily renewed by going to Macau for a few hours, then on return, you have another 180 days.

lefthandseat
6th May 2006, 10:48
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecxy &#064; May 6 2006, 06&#58;00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
yes..his not living there for about five years,,he was in France but..some month he go back to work..yeah he maybe still consider a british citizen..quite confusing our situation for now..but thanks for the bit adviced at least it gived me some ideas..hope thjis sort this soon..more power to this forum..and ill post if any problem ill encounter..but i guess the HK Embassy know more on what out siutation is..

by the way..is anybody know.what is mean "Notice of Intended Marriage"
anybody can give me some idea of this pls..thank..
[/b][/quote]

I am not sure if this will help you, but I believe that the various procedures which surround getting married or re-married, have their origins in times past when very few people could read, and there was none of the newspapers and technology which we have today. They also date from a time when church attendance was much greater, and when communities were smaller and less anonymous.

If two people wished to be married, their local priest/minister of religion was required to "Publish the Banns of Marriage" during the main Sunday Church service on 3 consecutive weeks, not less than a certain period before the planned wedding. Eseentially this meant that he was announcing that the named couple planned to be married in that church on a particular day, and that if anyone knew of any &#39;just cause or impediment&#39; (reason) why they should NOT marry, they must declare it.

Clearly, the news of the planned wedding would circulate throughout the area, and anyone who knew of any reason why they should not marry (for example, if one of them was already married), they would inform the Priest/Minister.

If the couple were from different areas, then the Banns would be read in both churches.

A relic of this system is still heard at all weddings when the Priest/Minister asks if anyone present knows of any reason why the couple should not marry, and asks them to declare it. This announcement is usually followed by a short (sometimes tense) pause before the service continues. On occasions this announcement is followed by loud clearing of the throat by members of the choir, with the mischevious intent of scaring the &#39;happy&#39; couple&#33;&#33; The couple are also asked to declare that they know of no reason why they should not be married.

The procedure for the Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage is a similar procedure - notice of the couple&#39;s intent to marry is physically posted on the Notice Board of the official building concerned (together with countless other, generally meaningless, papers. The theory is that people will look at the various notices and inform the authorities if indeed they are aware of a marriage which they feel should not legally take place. On occasions, a notice may be placed in the &#39;Official Notices&#39; of a newspaper, together with the notices of bankruptcy etc&#33;

However, the whole system is generally a farcical waste of time (and source of income for the authorities) because, generally, no-one EVER looks at such notices&#33;

Unfortunately, this is the system which is laid down, and we have no choice but to follow it. Best of luck with your application, and very best wishes for the future.

jimbo1938uk
7th May 2006, 10:23
When I got married in the RP,albeit 25 years ago,to obtain the CNI,I had to take with me a certificate issued by the local (UK) registrar of Births,Deaths & Marriages.
After the appropriate period of 21 days,the British Embasy issued a letter confirming the CNI.
I then duly got married and lived happily ever after .
Hope this helps.may everything go well for you,
Jim G.

Pauldo
7th May 2006, 21:26
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 5 2006, 12&#58;05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]
Rob,
I got my CNI in Manila with no problems, even though I had been living outside the UK for about ten years. I still have Brit citizenship and all, you can&#39;t lose it, no matter how long you are away for. I&#39;d been in the PI for maybe five years by then, but I was only ever there as a tourist, due to my work rotation. No residence permit or anything like that. I can&#39;t remember how long it took to process the CNI.

walesrob
7th May 2006, 23:20
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauldo &#064; May 7 2006, 09&#58;26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Rob,
I got my CNI in Manila with no problems, even though I had been living outside the UK for about ten years. I still have Brit citizenship and all, you can&#39;t lose it, no matter how long you are away for. I&#39;d been in the PI for maybe five years by then, but I was only ever there as a tourist, due to my work rotation. No residence permit or anything like that. I can&#39;t remember how long it took to process the CNI.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks Pauldo for confirming that, I knew that was the truth, but I wanted confirmation from someone else.

It&#39;s still a bit weird why, quote "but they just advice to him that he will fill up application that we are prepared to marry and will wait it up to 21 days..when no one object..they will forward it to Manila Embassy", why would they do that? Gary would still need to attend the Embassy in Manila to convert the CNI to Legal Capacity, and provide his passport. Something is not right here. Surely the British Embassies in Hong Kong and Manila have same rules?

Ecxy
8th May 2006, 11:27
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; May 7 2006, 10&#58;20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks Pauldo for confirming that, I knew that was the truth, but I wanted confirmation from someone else.

It&#39;s still a bit weird why, quote "but they just advice to him that he will fill up application that we are prepared to marry and will wait it up to 21 days..when no one object..they will forward it to Manila Embassy", why would they do that? Gary would still need to attend the Embassy in Manila to convert the CNI to Legal Capacity, and provide his passport. Something is not right here. Surely the British Embassies in Hong Kong and Manila have same rules?
[/b][/quote]
this what the HK embassy advice to Gary..about our problem with the CNI.since he dont live UK.for more than 5 years..so confusing.. quote"put in application for the wedding to go ahead and then they will forward it to manila after 21 days..then we get the license" is any idea on this please help..dont really understand what was happening..or is HK Embassy has there own..policy..?

Pauldo
8th May 2006, 15:30
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ecxy &#064; May 8 2006, 11&#58;27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
this what the HK embassy advice to Gary..about our problem with the CNI.since he dont live UK.for more than 5 years..so confusing.. quote"put in application for the wedding to go ahead and then they will forward it to manila after 21 days..then we get the license" is any idea on this please help..dont really understand what was happening..or is HK Embassy has there own..policy..?
[/b][/quote]

"put in application for the wedding to go ahead and then they will forward it to manila after 21 days..then we get the license"

This sounds like the HK embassy are saying they will accept the application, post the bumf for 21 days in the UK, and then if all goes well forward that info to the Manila embassy who will issue the CNI there. He can then collect it and arrange the wedding license.

Either way, it is not easy to arrange a wedding when one of the couple is not in country for a reasonable period. I used to work six week rotations when I lived there, which meant things could be planned one break, and completed the next, usually.

I believe with the Manila consulate applications have to be made in the AM, and collections in the PM, even British citizens business. Commuting from Angeles City meant any visits there took us best part of a day, so we tried to confirm any information several times, just to be sure, but that was not infallible.

Applying for the wedding license involved buying lunch for the local official involved, because he was just about to go away for a week and if we took him to lunch he could work later and get the papers sorted for us..... Of course, 300 pesos slipped under the table paid for him to take himself to lunch, and we got the license that day. The usual procedure for the Philippines. No surprises there style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

Ecxy
9th May 2006, 06:03
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauldo &#064; May 8 2006, 02&#58;30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
"put in application for the wedding to go ahead and then they will forward it to manila after 21 days..then we get the license"

This sounds like the HK embassy are saying they will accept the application, post the bumf for 21 days in the UK, and then if all goes well forward that info to the Manila embassy who will issue the CNI there. He can then collect it and arrange the wedding license.

Either way, it is not easy to arrange a wedding when one of the couple is not in country for a reasonable period. I used to work six week rotations when I lived there, which meant things could be planned one break, and completed the next, usually.

I believe with the Manila consulate applications have to be made in the AM, and collections in the PM, even British citizens business. Commuting from Angeles City meant any visits there took us best part of a day, so we tried to confirm any information several times, just to be sure, but that was not infallible.

Applying for the wedding license involved buying lunch for the local official involved, because he was just about to go away for a week and if we took him to lunch he could work later and get the papers sorted for us..... Of course, 300 pesos slipped under the table paid for him to take himself to lunch, and we got the license that day. The usual procedure for the Philippines. No surprises there style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif
[/b][/quote]
and another quote i was confused..quote (he said)my fiancee" i apply that we are prepared to marry..they display this application for 21 days...then if nobody objects, then we get the CNI...which they will forward to manila embassy...then i collect licence to marry from manila embassy...
is this mean that Manila BRTISH Embasy OR HK..will issue CNI.then we collect the license..or CNI issued and concert it to Legal capacity which what we need to get a license..hohum..been so much confsing i am now..really.but thnx for the bit of advoses in here..is anyone married in hongkong with the same sittuation on us now..please i need some more advises..