PDA

View Full Version : How Lucky do you think you are to be in UK ?

ginapeterb
11th April 2008, 09:09
News from the Philippines

I have been having various skype chats with Miss Gina in the Philippines during the last couple of weeks, and what she has been telling me, has made me realize just how lucky we all are to be living in the UK.

Now don't get me wrong, I am the first to openly criticise my country and its many faults, but after hearing what Miss Gina had to say about the state of the cost of living in the Philippines it made me think twice about my criticisms.

She tells me tales of rising costs, well thats true enough, here we have rising costs, which sometimes we feel are getting out of control, thats also true enough.

But the difference between here and the Philippines, is that at least we have the chance to make money, whereas there, they don't, Gina told me how shocked she was at how little money there is around the barangay's and puroks.

She told me that not only is there so little money flowing, that people have to contend with incredible high temperatures, and then with no aircon, they simply boil all day.

I know we know all this, and I am sure especially you girls who came here from the Philippines are well aware of what life is like, do we really understand just what it is like for those people there who sit around all day, because they have no job or life to look forward to.

I asked Miss Gina this morning, "So honey are you looking forward to coming back to the UK this weekend"

Her answer surprised me as I know she loves her family and the Philippines so much.

She said "Yes please honey, I don't like it here, its so hot, and there is no money at all"

"I do not know how people survive here"

The above is a very interesting statement, since in truth, she as one of those ones who struggled in the same predicament, although having a reasonably paid job by Philippine standards, she still strugled from one month to the next.

We also discussed the looks on peoples faces when she went to see her parents, a sense of hopelesness, a sense of no future, living out an existance from day to day with no end in sight.

Her words will resonate with me forever when she said

"I am so happy I live in UK - I am one of the lucky ones, I don't know how they survive"

Of course we also have to remember, that after one lives in the UK for 2 or 3 years, that person becomes de sensitized to the life back home, and the social and ecnomic environment that those ones live in, then give them rise to make immediate comparisons between what they have and what they left behind.

So, I think when we are quick about complaining here in the UK, we have much to be thankful for, its not perfect, no one said it would be, but its got to be much better than the life relatives and friends who are in the Philippines have to endure.

KeithD
11th April 2008, 09:24
I live in a great country.....just a pity it's attached to England :icon_lol:

Apart from the high taxes (although business taxes here are much lower than in Europe), it's a decent place.

The media only pick up on the bad points, and make it look like everything is falling apart. Take the 'drinking problem'......I can't see any difference between back in the 80's when I was getting psst as a teenager, and then getting into fights at closer time later in my life, than now. We always had girl fights at 2am. The only reason people think it is worse as we now have stats on it, video's of the incidents, and the press just picking up on the bad bits.

The only two major down turns in society are the lack of respect for the law, and a crap justice system......oh and the 'Terrorist & Criminal Help Act'.....sorry 'Human Rights Act' :action-smiley-081:

gracia143
11th April 2008, 09:42
Great thoughts from two great minds:xxgrinning--00xx3:. I love it!!!

joebloggs
11th April 2008, 10:23
one thing my misses dosn't miss is the heat, sunshine yes, but not the burning heat 24/7 and of course her family, but thats it, nothing else.

like you've said there are more opportunities here in the uk, if you want money and work hard, you can make it.

benefit system if you can no longer work, or lose your job, you might struggle, but you shouldn't starve in the uk, unlike Half the world — nearly three billion people — live on less than two dollars a day and According to UNICEF, 26,500-30,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world

but don't forget some people in the uk are struggling to, http://www.poverty.org.uk/summary/key%20facts.shtml

uk has its faults, just as every country has, but compared to many people we are the lucky ones in the uk ..

Alan
11th April 2008, 11:05
I agree completely Peter.

Here, in my Purok, and also in Dumaguete, things have become much worse since I arrived.

Rice up almost 50%
Cooking oil up by a ridiculous amount......

...and of course, the only foods most of these people can - sorry - could - afford - is rice!

I cite a mere 2 examples.........I could go on.

I wish I could help these people - and I could - to a certain extent - but, where does one begin and end? Indeed, how can I 'save' people who LITERALLY have no money?

I live a life of luxury here (comparatively speaking) but I do feel SO sorry for my neighbours and friends.

I do jest about the price of cigs and beer - but - truth be told - I get rather upset at the plight of these poor people.......and yes, it is bloody HOT here.

Anyone any answers?

Al.:)

joebloggs
11th April 2008, 11:24
as i said the other day, no way is inflation at 2% in the uk, food like you said is going up here to, my veggie marg has just gone up from 97p to 116p , correct me if i'm wrong sensei Al. thats near a 20% increase, same with many food items here, its not one or 2p its big jumps, little joes powdered milk went from £6.27 to £6.97 :yikes:...

inflation at 2% :icon_lol::D:icon_lol:, yes and there are only 21,000 poles in the uk . gov figures :action-smiley-081:

chino
11th April 2008, 11:35
well i am from England which i love though i am planning on moving... honestly thinking of india!

aromulus
11th April 2008, 11:46
as i said the other day, no way is inflation at 2% in the uk, food like you said is going up here to, my veggie marg has just gone up from 97p to 116p , correct me if i'm wrong sensei Al. thats near a 20% increase, same with many food items here, its not one or 2p its big jumps, little joes powdered milk went from £6.27 to £6.97 :yikes:...

inflation at 2% :icon_lol::D:icon_lol:, yes and there are only 21,000 poles in the uk . gov figures :action-smiley-081:

Diesel....

Before I went to London was £1.04.99 per litre.........

Three and a half weeks later it jumped to £1.13.99....

:Brick::furious3:

It ain't worth driving to work anymore, it costs me 12 quid a day just to get to the office.....:bigcry:

I think I am going to "do" my back in and scrounge for a few years...... I will have to PM Keith for any hints and suggestions.....:D

joebloggs
11th April 2008, 11:49
yes i'm thinking of the same ,oh my back, :cwm24: :D, see if the gov will send me Invalidity Benefit benefit to the phils :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
11th April 2008, 11:51
I think I am going to "do" my back in and scrounge for a few years...... I will have to PM Keith for any hints and suggestions.....:D
I can definitely arrange to have your back 'done in' :D

:xxmixed-smiley-017:

joebloggs
11th April 2008, 11:53
mention money, benefits, fraud and violence, scouser kieth pops up :D

:xxparty-smiley-004: i better pop off :cwm24:

aromulus
11th April 2008, 11:55
I can definitely arrange to have your back 'done in' :D

:xxmixed-smiley-017:

Ever so helpful, "r" Keith........:rolleyes:

What would we do without you, huh...???:xxgrinning--00xx3:

walesrob
11th April 2008, 11:59
mention money, benefits, fraud and violence, scouser kieth pops up :D

:xxparty-smiley-004: i better pop off :cwm24:

Mancs and Scousers together - a winning team :cwm3:

aromulus
11th April 2008, 12:00
Mancs and Scousers together - a winning team :cwm3:

Did you have to bring "footie" into this...???:Erm:

kimmi
11th April 2008, 13:24
Very well said Kuya Peter..we should always be thankful for all the blessings that we had and be contented..;)

Troubadour
11th April 2008, 13:51
What was it? $600 million US aid to Philippines last year; $550 million of it was military aid.

It is illustrative of the way the world works, and proves we are not "lucky" in the UK, USA and Australia. For centuries our nations have been the cause of the problems in the rest of the world. For a change, The UK is not directly responsible for the Philippines, but we are as guilty as the rest.

Our Governments buy and install corrupt political leaders the whole World over, and ordinary people suffer. If any people show one iota of independent thinking they are subjected to campaigns of destabilisation, coups d'etat and invasion. The world is not the way it is by chance, the world is the way the western powers have made it.

We should not feel lucky to live in a nation of War Criminals - We should feel ashamed.

Alan
11th April 2008, 14:00
as i said the other day, no way is inflation at 2% in the uk, food like you said is going up here to, my veggie marg has just gone up from 97p to 116p , correct me if i'm wrong sensei Al. thats near a 20% increase,

19.59% Joe.

joebloggs
11th April 2008, 14:06
:Erm:

try telling that to the people in china, with tibet, hong kong and the other countries like Taiwan they want to rule..

joebloggs
11th April 2008, 14:09
19.59% Joe.

do you know newtons theory of "Universal Gravitation" AL

my friend is struggling with a question on it :D

Troubadour
11th April 2008, 14:47
I have written to the Chinese Government on numerous occasions.

I have also written to companies that invest in China coz they can take advantage of Union suppression to make a profit.

I should have gone on to say - I find it encouraging that the ordinary folks at this site tend to restore my faith in human nature. Most of us have taken steps to invest in the Philippines, provide employment and support families as far as we are able. As individuals what we can do is limited, but the fact that we have personal relationships with the relatives of those that suffer inspires us to do something positive.

We know the people of the Philippines suffer through lack of life chances, not laziness, inferiority of mind or some other rubbish that gets talked of.

I have managed to get two hectares of agricultural land back into rice production, not because of any great ability of my own, but through being able to finance the seed purchase and land lease, locals could not do because of poverty. Given the opportunity to work the People I know in the Philippines have done wonders.

Eljohno
11th April 2008, 15:14
When i asked the wife the question as long as we can have a comfortable life she prefers the Philippines.

There is a better quality of life in the UK but i think its getting much harder to live comfortably here with rising costs of fuel, tax, water rates and even normal day to day food has gone up.

If you could work in the Philippines but be employed by a company back in the UK which means having a much better lifestyle would you do it or still choose to live in the UK?

KeithD
11th April 2008, 16:12
I have written to the Chinese Government on numerous occasions.

I have also written to companies that invest in China coz they can take advantage of Union suppression to make a profit.
You really should be concentrating on sorting out the corruption in the UK first before bothering with others.

eljean
11th April 2008, 16:22
I do believe that philippines can become a progressive country but it can only be achive by the once who governs it. I hate to see that theres load of people who lives in poverty but the politician lives in a very luxurious life...
there is one i know that he had a tiger as a pet and he feed them with 200 chicken everyday how many filipinos do u think will benefit from it instead of a tiger:furious3:if the system wont change i dont think there will be a change happening in the philippines in the future but i think there'll be more violence,crime,inflation rising each in every year... i have just recently find out that there is a twelve years old girl that kills herself becoz of to much poverty...:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:in davao

Philippines needs miracle:ARsurrender:

aposhark
11th April 2008, 16:50
I am very happy and proud to live in my country, England. :):):)
I spent many years working overseas and came to realise how easy we have it compared to most.
For me, it is a matter of realising how beautiful our country is, I get to travel a lot and there are so many lovely places.
Too many people go around moaning all the time, but they don't realise just how lucky they are.
The Philippines has improved so much since I first went in the 80's. :)
I am not saying it is easy for people there but it appears to be better off to me. I have only been there four times though.

England would be unbelievable for me if my Filipina was here :Cuckoo:

Alan
12th April 2008, 01:24
do you know newtons theory of "Universal Gravitation" AL

my friend is struggling with a question on it :D

I know ABOUT it Joe. That everything in the Universe has gravity - like the sun's gravity is what keeps all our planets in place/orbit.

However, calculating with his theory - inverse proportionality etc.. may be beyond me now.

Have we any Physics teachers on the forum?

ginapeterb
12th April 2008, 07:27
It seems to me, that many of you have different opinions about this subject, also it shows me the depth of feelings about your situation and how you view your status here in UK.

What I often value very much is the opinion of my wife, like so many of you out there, a natural born Filipino, who has been born and lived most of her life in the Philippines.

I was having a discussion with a very good friend of mine, willieboy, who many of you may have seen on the forum from time to time, he has been going back and forth to Philippines for way over 20 years, and so it could be said, he knows something about the country.

We were lamenting on the cycle that some women go through, for example, they spend most of their life growing up in the conditions we have described, later, when they meet a nice guy, they get married and move to another country such as the UK.

Although some of the ladies have been well travelled in any event, many have not, and the first few months, may open their eyes up to the differences in many area's such that they can easily make a comparison between the 3rd world and the 1st.

They see many differences such as the economy, the flow of money, employment, infrastructure, health and social care, transport, and government agencies.

After about a year to 18 months, they become more bolder in their condemnation of the things that they are glad they don't have to put up with any more.

There is much evidence to support my claims, as far as qualitative evidence goes, many Filipino's have been noted as being rather short tempered in the Philippines when they make their nostalgic trips home, with tales of lands where the milk and honey fows, they send large cardboard boxes full of gifts, toys, clothes, and other items, again a demonstration of their new found lifestyle in a far away foreign land.

They enhance this, by obtaining employment in the casual jobs market, they then re-inforce and share their good fortune with inward bound remittances to send badly needed pounds to help those who are less fortunate in their family.

On arrival back in the land they left behind, they see so much more clearly, the cracks in the system, the poor infrastructure, lapsidaisical attitude of government agencies, the inadequate banking facilities, ATM's that are always "offline", and as some often remark, the crab mentality of the Philippines.

They see the resentment of those who criticise them for getting ahead in life, whilst others get left behind, in truth, they have become de-sensitized to the plight of their kababayan's who they left behind in many cases only 18 months to 2 years previously.

When things don't happen the way they expect, they become short tempered with those in authority, they remark at how things are so backward, and that "this would never happen in my country" they have in effect gone full circle.

No longer identifying with the snafu that prevails in the town or region where they spent most of their childhood and early adult life, they simply shrug their shoulders and lament on the fact that after all, this is only a holiday for them, and that in due course, they will return to the country that has now become thier home.

Many are often heard to remark "I could not live here, it s so hot, and how do people manage on little money"

They say this with all conviction, and there they go it can be said by the grace of GOD, they accept that life is a trade off, if they were rich of course they would be happy to go back to the land from whence they came, but in the meantime, until they win the lotto, the UK will simply have to do.

And at least its not hot in the summer, yes the sun comes out, but at a temperature they can stand, and anyway, at least they have their job and their money coming in.

The UK has many faults, too numerous to mention here, I had occasion to have a hospital appointment for a minor surgery on my toe some weeks ago, an IGTN can be a very painful experience for the peson who has to endure the constant biting pain, especially if like me you are driving as part of your job.

The appointment at my local outpatient clinic was set for a certain date, on 2 occasions the hospital receptionist called me and cancelled my appointment, I was furious, what was going on I though to myself, this is becoming like the 3rd world !

On a later date, I enventually was admitted to have my minor surgery, when I was on the operating table, I had occasion to get involved in a conversation with the junior surgeon who operated on my toe.

Suprise Suprise he was from Bangladesh, its funny, but they always seem to be from either Burma, Bangladesh, India, Pakistan or any other 3rd world country, such is the high desire of the educated in those countries to come here and study medicine.

I remarked to my surgeon on how long it had taken to get the operation underway, I again made a flippant remark at "This is becoming worse than the 3rd world"

My surgeon just simply smiled at me, and said "REALLY ? beleive me when I tell you, this is nothing like the 3rd world, your having treatment are you not ? come to my country, I will show you the 3rd world, I am lucky, I managed to get myself into a scholarship, and then into medical school, thankfully this country has programs which helped me become a Doctor, yes the UK has given me everything, when my parents came here in the 1970's we came with nothing, my father was a lay worker who had the equivalent of only 50p in his pocket at the time.

Your country took us in, gave us a house, education, welfare, and training, don't overly criticise your country too much, you have the key to the door here in the UK, be happy at what you have, you look well fed, and you seem to have a good job.

I was I felt slightly ashamed in having made a criticising statement about life in the UK, here was in my view a foreigner, telling me just how fortunate I really was, he had used all the opportunities in the UK that were offered to him, whereas many of my countryment do not embrace any opportunities, they complain and whine about the state of the country, while people like our Doctor friend, work quietly like the hedgehog, and secretly reach their destination while others are asleep.

I said it before, there may be many criticisms to level at our country, but we are most definately lucky to live here, so before we start pointing the finger, lets look at what we actually have, and then we will work out that life here aint so bad after all.

Tish
12th April 2008, 08:51
I would just like to say that I too feels very lucky to be here in the UK. To me it is a privileged to be here.

I left Philippines nearly 19 years ago, to be with my husband. I left without any qualification, let alone the ability to understand what people are saying :doh. But that was then.

Now, when I talk to people, they just assume that I was born in this county. (Apparently, I've only got Lancashire accent!! :icon_lol:)

What is more, I have a good job, a nice home here and in the Philippines, plus a loving husband and healthy children. I also get to go back to the Philippines as and when needed.

Tish

Tish
12th April 2008, 09:09
The UK has many faults, too numerous to mention here, I had occasion to have a hospital appointment for a minor surgery on my toe some weeks ago, an IGTN can be a very painful experience for the peson who has to endure the constant biting pain, especially if like me you are driving as part of your job.

The appointment at my local outpatient clinic was set for a certain date, on 2 occasions the hospital receptionist called me and cancelled my appointment, I was furious, what was going on I though to myself, this is becoming like the 3rd world !

I sympathized with your predicament here Pete, but I think It's all down to which NHS Trust you're in.

As soon as I get an IGTN referral, I will do an assessment within a matter of a week, sometimes in a day where I will wait for patients to finished either work or when children finished school! And if all is well in the assessment process, and if there's a 'slot' available for me to do the surgery, I will carry it out straight away. The most patients wait for IGTN op in my trust is just 2 weeks max. unless there are other factors that will hinder that process.

Tish

joebloggs
13th April 2008, 18:51
my misses works for the nhs in sunny salford, she knows the patients will be waiting for her, where ever the 'clinic' has been set up, it doesn't matter how she feels that day, or the weather rain or snow, shes always turned upto do her job. I've never had a problem with the nhs, infact i owe them my life :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
13th April 2008, 18:59
she I've never had a problem with the nhs, infact i owe them my life :xxgrinning--00xx3:

For not letting you have MRSA or C.Diff......????:Erm:

Eljohno
13th April 2008, 22:50
One thing that gets to me and i have seen it a few times is when some filipinos leave the Philippines and start life in countries like the UK & USA and when they go back home to visit they look down on their fellow countrymen/women with no compassion.

I know this is few and far between as i love the fact that most Filipinos that go away are very supportive of family & friends!!

andypaul
13th April 2008, 23:25
One thing that gets to me and i have seen it a few times is when some filipinos leave the Philippines and start life in countries like the UK & USA and when they go back home to visit they look down on their fellow countrymen/women with no compassion.

I know this is few and far between as i love the fact that most Filipinos that go away are very supportive of family & friends!!

But surely many Rich/powerful Phills and Brits look down on the rest of there country people. In some ways it maybe more to do with money/power than what countries they been to.

I noticed when my Wife went back she wanted to fit in as she was before. But due to the money she now has in her pocket she finds the family if she so choose would go where she wants etc. Cousins her age are treated very differently by the elders than she is for example.

Its a power which is easy to abuse wih out even realising it.

KeithD
14th April 2008, 09:01
UK - Ununited Kingdom :xxgrinning--00xx3:

wobblybob
15th April 2008, 21:20
£12 a day to go to work, just on diesel, well did you know it is legal to use upto 1500 lts per annum of biofuel (used cooking oil) without paying any tax. Please google Dr.Diesel, ok no knowledge how to clean the oil, use fresh still cheaper than diesel, some cars run fine on straight cooking oil such as my citreon 2.1 others not. I n the summer most diesel motors will easily run on q 10:1 ratio saving a considerable amount of wonga, in the winter you may need a stronger diesel to veg oil combi say 3 lts diesel to 10 lts veg oil.
I have been using this for the last 21/2 years was really happy they made it legal to use 1500 lts a year, check it out there is loads of info on the net.

bornatbirth
15th April 2008, 23:00
£12 a day to go to work, just on diesel, well did you know it is legal to use upto 1500 lts per annum of biofuel (used cooking oil) without paying any tax. Please google Dr.Diesel, ok no knowledge how to clean the oil, use fresh still cheaper than diesel, some cars run fine on straight cooking oil such as my citreon 2.1 others not. I n the summer most diesel motors will easily run on q 10:1 ratio saving a considerable amount of wonga, in the winter you may need a stronger diesel to veg oil combi say 3 lts diesel to 10 lts veg oil.
I have been using this for the last 21/2 years was really happy they made it legal to use 1500 lts a year, check it out there is loads of info on the net.

or just get a job with a company petrol card:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
16th April 2008, 07:07

If my car's engine was of an older type or a Perkins, I would have done it a couple of years ago.
Unfortunately it is one of those all singing all dancing supa-dupa turbo thinghies... Too posh for cooking oil.... It will clog its arteries like cholesterol....:doh

Wouldn't mind trying the new extra clean fuel tho....:rolleyes: