PDA

View Full Version : Filipino Hospitals!!!

Eljohno
16th April 2006, 05:45
I was not sure whether to write this in the "Rants" or "Humour" section..

I am not sure like me when you have visited the Philippines that you have had to end up getting a check up at a local emergency room for treatment which i did today coz as hard as i have tried to remain healthy something got through so that is where i ended up.

I walked into the Emergency room that had about 4 chairs that were seated around a desk. There were 3 nurses there. one was writing notes while one was half sleeping on a desk and the other one even while we were saying what the problem was sat texting on her phone style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif

It does get better&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

Then we were told "sorry there is no doctor here so you will have to wait while we TEXT HIM style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif"

Then when he arrived he asked for blood to be taken and as soon as the needle was taken out of my arm they straight away asked for a payment style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

Then when the results came back i asked "what are the results" which he replyed " i am not sure but here are 5 prescriptions that you need to take"

I thought it was hilarious but God help us if anyone one of us was seriously ill and the nurse had to load in the phone to text the Doctor style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bigcry.gif

Admin
16th April 2006, 10:05
Maybe you should have checked what he was a Dr of? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

deepete
16th April 2006, 17:05
Dont know where you are staying but i have had a lot of experiances with Hospitals in the P.I. The doctors in general are pretty good as in Angeles city the doctor who sent us to hospital also came in and looked after us, but the nurses were woeful. Watch them when they dispense your medicines as they dont always get the dosage right.

The most professional hospital we went to was Makati General in Manilla.

It wasnt myself or my wife that needed the treatment but always our boys when they were young, that just added to the worry.

Moral of the story, try to make it to Manilla.

Pauldo
16th April 2006, 17:26
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; Apr 16 2006, 05&#58;05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dont know where you are staying but i have had a lot of experiances with Hospitals in the P.I. The doctors in general are pretty good as in Angeles city the doctor who sent us to hospital also came in and looked after us, but the nurses were woeful. Watch them when they dispense your medicines as they dont always get the dosage right.

It wasnt myself or my wife that needed the treatment but always our boys when they were young, that just added to the worry.

[/b][/quote]
My daughter was born in Angeles University hospital, by caeserian section. They told us she was weak and kept vomiting, so needed to stay in the intensive care ward for a week. A couple of days later I was watching her being fed (through the single &#39;inspection&#39; window they allow parents to see their offspring through) when I noticed the whole row of babies, including mine, were being prop fed (bottle jammed in their mouth and rested on a pillow, no nurses in sight) I promptly went and beat on the access door to ask what the hell was going on, and why an infant in intensive care for vomiting and weakness was left with bottle stuck in its mouth and no way to clear it if it threw up.

Well, the &#036;hit hit the fan and I demanded my daughter be taken up to my wifes private room, where we would look after her properly, seeing as the hospital staff were too busy chatting in their tea room to do the job.

I also demanded to be allowed to make an official complaint about it, as even the hospital rules state that infants are not left unattended whilst feeding.

The bill for a weeks private room, the C section, a couple of days in intensive care for little &#39;un and a list of drugs as long as my arm came to around 60,000 pesos.

There were no surprises, just the usual &#39;Bahala Na&#39; attitude you expect on every front in the Philippines. They can try as hard as they like, but they can never do anything 100% right.

love8888
30th April 2006, 10:26
UST Hospital ,Makati Genral hospital,St. Pauls hospital and Favilla are quite Good as they are private but fee is quite higher as well

IMONNA
22nd May 2006, 09:11
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; Apr 16 2006, 04&#58;05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

When sick dont just go to the nearest hospital because they are near . When staying in the Philippines it might be useful if you ask around for a hospital . Reputations of hospitals with in Metro Manila are known even by cab drivers. They know which ones leave patient unattended and which ones respond immediately when patient are brought in. Of course it goes with out saying that you have to prepare yourself for the exorbitant fees that they charge afterwards style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bigcry.gif
There are still some good nurses left in some hospitals style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif but soon they will be off to the US or UK which leaves the inexperienced ones . Thats why I try to keep a healthy lifestyle style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Grin.gif

baboyako
22nd May 2006, 21:01
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauldo &#064; Apr 16 2006, 05&#58;26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The bill for a weeks private room, the C section, a couple of days in intensive care for little &#39;un and a list of drugs as long as my arm came to around 60,000 pesos.
[/b][/quote]

That seems a pretty good deal to me. In London (with the experienced filipina nurses) you&#39;d be paying 20 times that. Portland hospital is 1k/night&#33;

deepete
22nd May 2006, 21:09
Ours was all covered by medical insurance, I settled the hospital bills, with the insurance company kept informed, and they settled up on our return. As we missed our flights they also had to book us into a Hotel for a week and rearrange our flight home. For that they used an agent in manilla who took care of all our needs for the week.

Pauldo
22nd May 2006, 21:37
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baboyako &#064; May 22 2006, 09&#58;01 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
In London (with the experienced filipina nurses) you&#39;d be paying 20 times that. Portland hospital is 1k/night&#33;
[/b][/quote]

And there is no guarantee the treatment will be any better either style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

I heard that trained nurses are leaving the Philippines at the rate of about 10,000 a year, to work overseas. No wonder there are none left to look after the tourists.

My wifes niece finished her training in Angeles University Foundation hospital (AUF), a couple of years back, and they offered her a job for 4000 pesos a month, &#39;until she had some experience&#39; then she might get a pay rise&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

And they wonder why they are leaving?? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif

IMONNA
3rd June 2006, 08:53
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauldo &#064; May 22 2006, 08&#58;37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
And there is no guarantee the treatment will be any better either style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

I heard that trained nurses are leaving the Philippines at the rate of about 10,000 a year, to work overseas. No wonder there are none left to look after the tourists.

My wifes niece finished her training in Angeles University Foundation hospital (AUF), a couple of years back, and they offered her a job for 4000 pesos a month, &#39;until she had some experience&#39; then she might get a pay rise&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

And they wonder why they are leaving?? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Erm.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif
[/b][/quote]

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif You heard it right. I work in a hospital and at the rate our nurses are leaving I just can&#39;t keep track of all of them. One day they are there ...next time a new face greets you in the ward. The pay is really terrible and not enough in these times. Unless the government does something were are going to be with out nurses and doctors. Goodness... doctors are also leaving.&#33; They shift to nursing then off they go abroad. This is really bad &#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif Heaven help us&#33;&#33; We are going to end up treating ourselves&#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif

squareeyes
3rd June 2006, 12:23
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(immona &#064; Jun 3 2006, 08&#58;53 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif You heard it right. I work in a hospital and at the rate our nurses are leaving I just can&#39;t keep track of all of them. One day they are there ...next time a new face greets you in the ward. The pay is really terrible and not enough in these times. Unless the government does something were are going to be with out nurses and doctors. Goodness... doctors are also leaving.&#33; They shift to nursing then off they go abroad. This is really bad &#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif Heaven help us&#33;&#33; We are going to end up treating ourselves&#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Doh.gif
[/b][/quote]

I work in a hospital in the UK, and the number of Filipino nurses is incredible. It&#39;s quite a community and the situation is reflected in hospitals across the country. The stories of fully trained and qualifed personnel leaving the Philippines for other shores are many: I&#39;ve heard of consultants high up in their career leaving for the US and becoming nurses because the pay is better and re-qualifying as a doctor would take too much time and effort.

In some ways, it&#39;s incredibly sad that so many people are willing to leave their country to work abroad and sometimes even lowering their status and skills just to get a reasonable income. On the whole, the Filipino nurses are very well regarded: hard working, conscientious and skilled (not all btw, just most). A common situation is that Filipina nurse gets NHS job, comes over and works for a while and later sends for husband and family (if they have one) to join them. Hubby then gets an NHS job, usually ancilliary. The women are leading the men&#33;

I&#39;ve also noticed (from conversations with some nurses) that there is an undercurrent of resentment among some Brits at the sheer number of Filipinos here but that&#39;s silly. We need them because of a shortage of skilled and competent staff. Maybe in a few years the situation will be radically different with influxes of EU nurses and the Filipinos will be shafted and &#39;encouraged&#39; to leave like a lot of foreign doctors have been lately. Could be difficult as a few of them have mortgages, families w/children and settled lives here.

Admin
4th June 2006, 09:13
Part of the arrangement with Filipino nurses, is that if they are here long enough, they get full settlement. If anyone has a problem with them, stuff &#39;em, the hospitals would be a disaster without them.

IMONNA
10th June 2006, 08:00
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill &#064; Jun 3 2006, 11&#58;23 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I work in a hospital in the UK, and the number of Filipino nurses is incredible. It&#39;s quite a community and the situation is reflected in hospitals across the country. The stories of fully trained and qualifed personnel leaving the Philippines for other shores are many: I&#39;ve heard of consultants high up in their career leaving for the US and becoming nurses because the pay is better and re-qualifying as a doctor would take too much time and effort.

In some ways, it&#39;s incredibly sad that so many people are willing to leave their country to work abroad and sometimes even lowering their status and skills just to get a reasonable income. On the whole, the Filipino nurses are very well regarded: hard working, conscientious and skilled (not all btw, just most). A common situation is that Filipina nurse gets NHS job, comes over and works for a while and later sends for husband and family (if they have one) to join them. Hubby then gets an NHS job, usually ancilliary. The women are leading the men&#33;

I&#39;ve also noticed (from conversations with some nurses) that there is an undercurrent of resentment among some Brits at the sheer number of Filipinos here but that&#39;s silly. We need them because of a shortage of skilled and competent staff. Maybe in a few years the situation will be radically different with influxes of EU nurses and the Filipinos will be shafted and &#39;encouraged&#39; to leave like a lot of foreign doctors have been lately. Could be difficult as a few of them have mortgages, families w/children and settled lives here.
[/b][/quote]

If you are working and your income cannot suffice to feed your family and send them to a decent school would you just leave it at that?? People here dont think anything about working below their level or anything just as long as they can provide for their family . Is that not better than resorting to anything bad ? We have many teachers here but the pay is...ugh low style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bigcry.gif . They work hard but not compensated enough. Can anyone blame them if they go off to HongKong as nanny and helper ??? This would mean higher pay and their family would not starve.

If you notice most of the nurses send for their family to join them.Later on it would be their sister and so on. Its because Filipinos takes care of their own. If you meet one Filipino theres probably a sister ,brother or other member who have helped them . Ask around not only in UK but also in other parts of the wolrd.

Don&#39;t worry our nurse would probably be lining up at the US embassy . I think they also need more nurses there. And they offer much more benefits. Imagine having to relocate with your whole family with an immigrant status&#33;&#33;&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

Pauldo
12th June 2006, 16:28
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill &#064; Jun 3 2006, 12&#58;23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> We need them because of a shortage of skilled and competent staff. Maybe in a few years the situation will be radically different with influxes of EU nurses and the Filipinos will be shafted and &#39;encouraged&#39; to leave like a lot of foreign doctors have been lately. Could be difficult as a few of them have mortgages, families w/children and settled lives here.
[/b][/quote]

There is no shortage of nurses in the UK nowadays. There IS a shortage of money to pay them though. In the Midlands they have recently laid off hundreds, maybe thousands, and other medical personnel too, because they can&#39;t afford to retain enough staff to provide full patient cover.

Why they needed them all six months ago but can do without them now is beyond me style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif

squareeyes
12th June 2006, 22:09
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pauldo &#064; Jun 12 2006, 04&#58;28 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
There is no shortage of nurses in the UK nowadays. There IS a shortage of money to pay them though. In the Midlands they have recently laid off hundreds, maybe thousands, and other medical personnel too, because they can&#39;t afford to retain enough staff to provide full patient cover.

Why they needed them all six months ago but can do without them now is beyond me style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif
[/b][/quote]

Poor management.

walesrob
13th June 2006, 16:40
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill &#064; Jun 12 2006, 10&#58;09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Poor management.
[/b][/quote]

And too many Managers as well style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif

ervenescence
13th June 2006, 17:43
...and redundancy