PDA

View Full Version : NVQ level

gadgets
3rd April 2008, 13:21
My wife has just completed her nursing degree in the Philippines and she plans to get a job as a carer initially while she works on taking her IELTS exam and qualifying as a nurse in the UK. I have seen job posting for carers or nursing assistants which require a NVQ level 2 or 3, does her Philippine nursing degree qualify her as having a NVQ level 3 or does she have to take additional exams in the UK before she can be considered NVQ level 3 qualified?

Many thanks.

KeithD
3rd April 2008, 13:43
Our friend got the job without them, and they are training her up as she goes. Some homes won't be bothered with that though, just a case of 'shopping' around.

joebloggs
3rd April 2008, 13:43
nope i would not have thought so, even thou nvq level 2 and 3 are btw gcse and maybe A level standard, and thou your wife has a degree, i think nvq is a national standard, work based qualification made up of units, thou your wife may have covered many or all the units.

gadgets
3rd April 2008, 13:49
many thanks for the responses. i will check with a temp agency to see what they also say.

LadyJ
3rd April 2008, 16:13
Hi gadgets, you can compare and convert your wife's Philippine qualification to UK by going to this website www.naric.org.uk

joebloggs
3rd April 2008, 16:42
she would still need to take exams ladyJ to work as a nurse...

hows your'e little'un doing ? little joe is a pain in the :action-smiley-081::yikes::D

climbing everywhere, terrorising the dog, turning everythnig on and off :doh

LadyJ
3rd April 2008, 16:57
He's doing great Joe! actually I can now here my daughter dragging my little son around the living room.:doh and the other night my son played the plug-in house perfume in his mouth while I was on a computer:cwm3::Brick:

I :ARsurrender: to them :cwm3:

gadgets
3rd April 2008, 18:10
Hi gadgets, you can compare and convert your wife's Philippine qualification to UK by going to this website www.naric.org.uk

many thanks LadyJ - this will help her out for the temporary job while she works on her IELTS. The next step after IELTS is the ONP then finally get NMC registration so she can get her nursing career started in the NHS, BUPA or any other private hospital. Phewww, too many acronyms.

love8888
4th April 2008, 19:47
she can work in home care if she wants too... some home care doesn't require it it's up to the owner if they will going to send you to take an NVQ's anyway it's the home care owner's benefits.

walesrob
4th April 2008, 20:40
Our friend got the job without them, and they are training her up as she goes. Some homes won't be bothered with that though, just a case of 'shopping' around.

Care home standards seem to vary from one local authority to another, and as a result, some will insist on staff having some level of NVQ, while others wont.

Here in Wales, the CSIW insist that 50% of staff in any care home should have NVQ2 or better, or work towards getting an NVQ qualification within a set period of time.