PDA

View Full Version : change of name for passport

cham88
11th April 2006, 12:49
Hello everyone!
Im getting married nextmonth after almost a year and a half of engagement to an Englishguy. I was wondering if i have to change/renew my passport to my new name after our wedding (Husband's surname) prior to my application for a settlement visa here in manila. My latest passport will expire on 2009 (my third one). I've been travelling before (including UK),but this time ill be applying for a spouse visa. Im quite confuse about this...maybe someone can give me advice? Thank you!!

walesrob
11th April 2006, 13:06
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jersey29 &#064; Apr 11 2006, 12&#58;49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hello everyone&#33;
Im getting married nextmonth after almost a year and a half of engagement to an Englishguy. I was wondering if i have to change/renew my passport to my new name after our wedding (Husband&#39;s surname) prior to my application for a settlement visa here in manila. My latest passport will expire on 2009 (my third one). I&#39;ve been travelling before (including UK),but this time ill be applying for a spouse visa. Im quite confuse about this...maybe someone can give me advice? Thank you&#33;&#33;
[/b][/quote]

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There is no need to change the name on your passport until its renewal BUT, change it now anyway, for the following reasons:

1) Your application for a Spouse Visa (or Settlement Visa as you call it) will be easier.

2) It&#39;s a quick process from what I&#39;ve been told - go to the DFA in your local area with your existing passport, your birth certificate and your marraige certificate, both on SECPA paper, and they will change it in just a few days (using the Express method - pay an extra fee for faster processing). Maybe someone else can tell us the exact procedure, as I may have skipped something.

Hope this helps - post back if you need any further information.

mupsuit
12th April 2006, 07:43
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; Apr 11 2006, 01&#58;06 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

There is no need to change the name on your passport until its renewal BUT, change it now anyway, for the following reasons:

1) Your application for a Spouse Visa (or Settlement Visa as you call it) will be easier.

2) It&#39;s a quick process from what I&#39;ve been told - go to the DFA in your local area with your existing passport, your birth certificate and your marraige certificate, both on SECPA paper, and they will change it in just a few days (using the Express method - pay an extra fee for faster processing). Maybe someone else can tell us the exact procedure, as I may have skipped something.

Hope this helps - post back if you need any further information.
[/b][/quote]

Just to say that my wife did not change her passport to apply for spouse visa - no significant delay detected at the embassy in Manila

Now in the UK (for two years) she has not changed her passport and probably wont - we have been to PI once on holiday and once to Europe using her original passport

After three years here she will apply for a British Passport and at that point will ask for it to be issued in her married name

so far we have had no problems - anyone done the same?