PDA

View Full Version : Re: spouse looking for work

Tiggers0608
19th March 2008, 16:40
hi, regarding about a spouse and is looking for a work , what basic requirements or any ID's do we need ? coz basically we only have our passport as valid IDs.

and i dont think its easy to get a job here any ways it feels like we have to go to a low job and then climb up lol. :rolleyes::D:xxgrinning--00xx3: before landing on a very nice paying job lol :doh

:Erm::Erm::Erm:

mhynne
19th March 2008, 17:10
you need to apply for national insurance first sis...

LadyJ
19th March 2008, 17:13
You will need National Insurance Number, If you don't have one your employer can give you a temporary number and she/he can make an appointment for you to your local Jobcentre to get your own NI or you can just apply for this by yourself. Visit the Jobcentre website or the link below and you can see there how to apply for your National Insurance Number.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp

LadyJ
19th March 2008, 17:22
If you are not highly skilled or you have not much experience then you will have to start from scratch, find a work like in factory ie. packers, assemblers, etc. supermarket staff, cleaner, waitress and this will build your work experienced here in UK. Advice for getting a job contact or visit the Jobcentre website.

Goodluck!

andypaul
19th March 2008, 19:52
For most jobs you need to write a CV or resume, a quick google will help you find templates to create a basic one.

Then if you can get these printed up, if just looking for a job it is worth having a quick walk round the nearest towncentre and looking for jobs in windows and on notice boards (Most retail jobs are offered this way it appears) Some places will ask for a CV others will offer you a application to fill in. Some occasions they may ask some questions on the spot so be prepared. It goes with out saying you should look well presented when enquiring to give the right impression.

Like Lady J says its a good idea to go to the Job Centre for jobs and advise. Technically i think they can't help you as your not a british resident, maybe someelse knows the latest here? Im not sure if its the same in Scotland, as some rules are not always between the two countries.

Good luck and

Durkhaima
20th March 2008, 19:49
Hiya. Apply online or just upload your CV to all the recruitment agencies in your local area and they will do the searching for you. In my case I did both. I applied online. When i received a couple of replies I applied for a National Insurance No. It is easier to find a job once you have your NI No. Happy job hunting. God bless...

andypaul
20th March 2008, 20:29
Hiya. Apply online or just upload your CV to all the recruitment agencies in your local area and they will do the searching for you. In my case I did both. I applied online. When i received a couple of replies I applied for a National Insurance No. It is easier to find a job once you have your NI No. Happy job hunting. God bless...

A good idea to apply online or by going into agencies but just another side to job hunting. My wife has got her last three jobs from word of mouth and the first from a sign in a window. All three of the jobs had not even being advertised in public when she had applied.

So maybe best to try various methods, apply online, go into agencies in the local area, look around the local area, check the Job centre and ask around do friends or neigbours work where there are vaccancies?

JAMZ
21st March 2008, 00:26
Hi,

When my husband first stepped on here in UK, I already phoned the nearest office / jobcentre where he could apply for a National insurance number. I asked for the requirements, and we prepared them (Passport w/UK Visa attached, Boarding Pass (Travel Ticket copy), Tenancy agreement under our names as the tenants (joint), Email / letter print out of an interview invitation from a UK Employer for a job vacancy, etc.). He was given a shedule for an interview. After a week, his NI number was mailed, and after 6 weeks the NI card followed.

Prior to his interview at the Jobcentre for the NI application, I surfed the net and browsed all websites of Hotels in London. I directly sent my hubby's CV to the HR. I have never thought of my hubby applying in a recruitment agency. I always prefer direct hiring. Luckily, a 5-star Hotel emailed my husband and scheduled him for interview. At the interview, it was really short and it was followed already by an orientation. After 3 days, he received an email confirming that he was offered the job.

In less than 4 weeks, he already had his job. Lucky him. Compensation is very good especially the service charge and tips. Receiving AT LEAST £80++ tips in 5 days a week (8 hrs a day) is helpful already aside from the Basic Pay and Service Charge he receives.

It's a good money though. tRY to look for a job online. Target the credible companies you know if you really have the confidence. It's so important especially when you have a wide experience in your chosen field.

Tiggers0608
22nd March 2008, 20:37
you need to apply for national insurance first sis...

:xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks sis, whats the requirements to get a national insurance number? bring a passport :rolleyes:

Tiggers0608
22nd March 2008, 20:39
If you are not highly skilled or you have not much experience then you will have to start from scratch, find a work like in factory ie. packers, assemblers, etc. supermarket staff, cleaner, waitress and this will build your work experienced here in UK. Advice for getting a job contact or visit the Jobcentre website.

Goodluck!

:xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks sis for the infos and good advice

Tiggers0608
22nd March 2008, 20:45
For most jobs you need to write a CV or resume, a quick google will help you find templates to create a basic one.

Then if you can get these printed up, if just looking for a job it is worth having a quick walk round the nearest towncentre and looking for jobs in windows and on notice boards (Most retail jobs are offered this way it appears) Some places will ask for a CV others will offer you a application to fill in. Some occasions they may ask some questions on the spot so be prepared. It goes with out saying you should look well presented when enquiring to give the right impression.

Like Lady J says its a good idea to go to the Job Centre for jobs and advise. Technically i think they can't help you as your not a british resident, maybe someelse knows the latest here? Im not sure if its the same in Scotland, as some rules are not always between the two countries.

Good luck and

:xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks yup your right , its good to have a good CV before applying :rolleyes: ..... i dont think job center is really good for not yet a UK resident :doh

Tiggers0608
22nd March 2008, 20:46

:xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks sis for the advice, yes i do need loads of good luck :)

Tiggers0608
22nd March 2008, 20:47
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Hi,

When my husband first stepped on here in UK, I already phoned the nearest office / jobcentre where he could apply for a National insurance number. I asked for the requirements, and we prepared them (Passport w/UK Visa attached, Boarding Pass (Travel Ticket copy), Tenancy agreement under our names as the tenants (joint), Email / letter print out of an interview invitation from a UK Employer for a job vacancy, etc.). He was given a shedule for an interview. After a week, his NI number was mailed, and after 6 weeks the NI card followed.

Prior to his interview at the Jobcentre for the NI application, I surfed the net and browsed all websites of Hotels in London. I directly sent my hubby's CV to the HR. I have never thought of my hubby applying in a recruitment agency. I always prefer direct hiring. Luckily, a 5-star Hotel emailed my husband and scheduled him for interview. At the interview, it was really short and it was followed already by an orientation. After 3 days, he received an email confirming that he was offered the job.

In less than 4 weeks, he already had his job. Lucky him. Compensation is very good especially the service charge and tips. Receiving AT LEAST £80++ tips in 5 days a week (8 hrs a day) is helpful already aside from the Basic Pay and Service Charge he receives.

It's a good money though. tRY to look for a job online. Target the credible companies you know if you really have the confidence. It's so important especially when you have a wide experience in your chosen field.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks sis, congrats to your hubby and thanks for the advice

kimmi
24th March 2008, 19:28

Goodluck!

I agree with what u said LadyJ, it is a great idea to start from scratch in finding a work here because most of our qualifications or job experience in the Philippines are not applicable here..and if we already gained experiences we can make an impressive cv when we plan to apply for the job we really wanted..

andypaul
24th March 2008, 22:14
:xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks yup your right , its good to have a good CV before applying :rolleyes: ..... i dont think job center is really good for not yet a UK resident :doh
You don't need the job centre apart to apply for jobs, in most cases they can help with other information but most of it you could find on the web site and from your Brit family and friends (don't forget to ask on here also)

The way i saw it when the wife was on her spouse visa (please correct me if we had misunderstood this)

We could go into the Job centre and look at the jobs using the funky computers they have to print off the Jobs. But you can't seek the advice of an advisor, although if your hubby or a brit family member or friend with you it maybe possible to ask them to ask on your behalf if its a basic question.

andypaul
24th March 2008, 22:19
Well done Kimmi but I would be very careful as just because the employer decides to pay you doesn't mean its ok due to your current staus:NoNo:

I would be very careful and if it was my wife to be i would say don't accept any money. It could affect your FLR and ILR application