PDA

View Full Version : wedding info

chazedi
19th March 2008, 11:59
Hi, I have read some info on getting married to a filipina who lives in the philippines, but my fiance lives in the UK and we met last June. We are going to the philippines for 3 weeks in April to meet the rest of the family and want to have a civil wedding while we are there so her family can attend as they won't be able to afford to come to the UK for a wedding later in the year. She has been over here for 2 years on a work permit and visa which has recently been renewed with a 5 year one. I just wondered if there was any extra paperwork she would have to get to take back to get married because she has been living here ? We plan on getting married in Manila.

telford
20th March 2008, 05:13
u need to bring a cert of no impediment. hi and welcome

ginapeterb
20th March 2008, 10:01
Chazedi, welcome to the forum, but please learn to do your own research, firstly use the search function, I will guarantee your question has been asked before and answered.

The only tip and pointer I will give you today, is that just because your girl is in UK on a 5 year work permit, it does not mean she has any special status when it comes to Border and Immigration rules.

You are welcome to go back to the Philippines and marry if that is where your wedding will be.

However, having done that, the status of your girl's circumstances will have changed, on marriage, she will need to follow the same procedure as any newly married applicant.

Otherwise whilst she may remain in UK on her work permit, which is 5 years, her residency period may be shortened to 24 months before qualifying for indefinate leave to remain.

That is probably a bonus for her and you, because under a work permit the qualification is longer 5 years as per her work permit.

So really then after marriage she needs to adjust status to 24 months marriage.

Do your research mate, and best of luck.

chazedi
20th March 2008, 11:34
Hi,
Thanks for the info. Yes I tried to search first but maybe I did it wrong coz I couldn't find the info I wanted.

Well I am off to see about the cert of no impediment. I hope there's still time as we have left it a bit late coz it requires 21 days and we fly on the 14th April so we may have to wait till we get back and get wed here anyway.

Many thanks guys.

ginapeterb
20th March 2008, 12:00
hmmm bad planning really Chazedi, you left it too late, we always tell people, good planning and preparation is the key to getting it right.

Nevertheless best wishes, have a good time .