PDA

View Full Version : Strikes in Certain area's Pound rising against Peso

ginapeterb
10th March 2008, 20:09
As I Suspected the UK Pound is going to rise back again, unsure as to what level it will reach, but I don't know about you guys and girls, but 92 to the pound and above would be welcome for me.

I have sent about £1200.00 to Philippines over last 2 weeks, and we have had mixed rates from around 81 to last payment of 82.70 if it keeps rising it will be great for our amortization in the Philippines, another 10 pesos to the pound would save us about £150.00 a month in our remittances.

Just hope it carries on as it is....everything right now is welcome.

Our caretaker tells us there were transport strikes yesterday in the Philippines and today, over rising oil hikes, remember the Filipino's were already struggling with rising cooking oil prices, heating oil, and its getting worse and worse, how do they survive ?

andypaul
10th March 2008, 20:21
yeah its mixed feelings the missus is going back to phill next week for a few weeks so the better rate for the pound the better.

But if it makes it harder for the general phill population and particularly the family it does not make me feel real happy as you say Pete.

ginapeterb
10th March 2008, 20:25
Andy, thats right, it isn't a great time for the families, we all know 1 per cent of the Philippines owns the wealth, and 8 families own it, its ok for PGMA to say the economy is doing well, but thats only for the rich.

However, I suppose I have to look at things from my perspective, Miss Gina is also going home for a couple of weeks at half term over the Easter, and we could use a better pound, in 3 weeks who knows, it might regain 10 pesos, its not unreasonable since it lost 10 pesos in as long a period last time.

Its hard of course for the poor, who have to live on lower remittances, and rising prices.

andypaul
10th March 2008, 20:34
Andy, thats right, it isn't a great time for the families, we all know 1 per cent of the Philippines owns the wealth, and 8 families own it, its ok for PGMA to say the economy is doing well, but thats only for the rich.

However, I suppose I have to look at things from my perspective, Miss Gina is also going home for a couple of weeks at half term over the Easter, and we could use a better pound, in 3 weeks who knows, it might regain 10 pesos, its not unreasonable since it lost 10 pesos in as long a period last time.

Its hard of course for the poor, who have to live on lower remittances, and rising prices.

Very true

Im sure pete you have to avoid the Chuggers in London and when they say do you want to help a child living in the third world i feel like saying the Wife and i suport a few mate already:icon_lol:
In fact i remeber a white middle class student type standing in Hounslow high street asking passers by to help people in the third world wondering why im sure most were laughing at him. As most of the people came or had strong links with the third world including my Wife just a few weeks before:D

KeithD
10th March 2008, 21:58
Don't worry Pete, if the Pound/Peso improves, I'm sure an extra money you get will be taken away in the budget :doh

LadyJ
10th March 2008, 22:07
That's true! I also have mix feelings ofcourse we love to see the pound exchange rising but in exchange to this means Philippine economy is suffering.

jimeve
11th March 2008, 00:45
just my bloody luck, just spent £ 12,000 on building cost, now the rate is
improving. :ARsurrender:

ginapeterb
11th March 2008, 10:22
Yes the exchange rate can be frustrating especially for any of you who has sent a large amount of money into Philippines, £12,000 is a large sum and you would loose quite a lot on the exchange rate especially if it goes back to 92 and above towards end of the month.

It has gradually cost me more and more over last few weeks to defend the remittances I send to Philippines and to back up Andy's point about supporting people.

Yes I support people in the Philippines with my income, and I am a foreigner, no different to any other OCW who sends money, or wife or Fiancee, I have my own list to support, they are relying on my remittances, so when people do approach me on the high street and ask me to support children in the 3rd world, (which by the way doesn't always immediately click)

I can reply yes I already support a number of people in the 3rd world, good point Andy, never thought of it that way.

KeithD
11th March 2008, 10:23
With the high increases in food, utility bills & fuel here, the pound itself is devaluing rapidly in it's own country.

fred
11th March 2008, 10:59
Im not sure why the pound has slightly improved over the last few days..
I would have thought it is just a blip and will soon continue its slide downwards with its mate the Dollar..
Of course I hope Im wrong as this strong Peso lark is definitely not good for business.
I have not been affected so far but that can only last for so long.

joebloggs
11th March 2008, 12:44
ive always got my eye on the rate.:Erm:

its fallen .1 of a php since yesterday, but 82.60 is better than 78.7 it was a few days ago.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

but back to the 90's would be good for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
11th March 2008, 14:08
Talk about strikes.. The jeeps were on strike today..
They only pay 40 pence for a liter of unleaded!!
Not at all sure what they think a strike will do to drop the price of imported fuel here?
My sister in laws Union president was shot dead last night in a Petron station whilst filling up..
Just like living in the wild west!!

jonnijon
11th March 2008, 16:43
Im flying out to phills at the end of April,staying for a month,so im watching the exchange rate closely.PNB paying 82.70 Monday and 82.60 to the pound today.
But I know a place where San Mig is only 12 peso lol.

alicat
11th March 2008, 18:57
i think if you want a good exchange rate in phil.,go to the bank and speak to the manager,and ask for a good exchange rate,you have a big chance if you want to change a lot of sterling..they will give you a nice deal

andypaul
11th March 2008, 21:57
Im not sure why the pound has slightly improved over the last few days..
I would have thought it is just a blip and will soon continue its slide downwards with its mate the Dollar..
Of course I hope Im wrong as this strong Peso lark is definitely not good for business.
I have not been affected so far but that can only last for so long.

Word it will carry on sliding and i belive that soon we will switch to the euro as it gains strength wheter though choice or necessaity i dont know.

chippy
11th March 2008, 22:32
we have not long come back after 3 weeks in cebu and we only got 78 to a pound which is really bad as the first visit a few years ago now i was getting 100 peso to a pound. we also tried the black market but there rate was even worse than in the shopping center. I hope it changes before we go back later this year.

andypaul
11th March 2008, 23:35
we have not long come back after 3 weeks in cebu and we only got 78 to a pound which is really bad as the first visit a few years ago now i was getting 100 peso to a pound. we also tried the black market but there rate was even worse than in the shopping center. I hope it changes before we go back later this year.

Unless you can rebuild the Uk ecomony and remove all the bad debts and inspire confidence in the general public and business while also proving a 10 of billions of credit to kick start the uk ecomony while also ensuring phill goes into martial law its unlikely.

fred
12th March 2008, 02:29
People often speak of hardship and joblessness here in R.P.. 4 days ago we asked a roofing supplier to give us a quote for a bit of roofing we need..
I estimate approx 200,000 Pesos..
They don't estimate anything as they still haven't turned up!!
Ayyy mañana!!
(perhaps they have family working in Britain?)

fred
12th March 2008, 02:58
But I know a place where San Mig is only 12 peso lol.

Where?????????????:Erm:
tell me!!!!!!!!!!!:Rasp:

Look...Do you want me to beg?
I will you know!

andypaul
12th March 2008, 08:29
The roofer has found the cheap sm

ervenescence
12th March 2008, 10:28
its 1 to 83 now,,and going :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
12th March 2008, 12:19
People often speak of hardship and joblessness here in R.P.. 4 days ago we asked a roofing supplier to give us a quote for a bit of roofing we need..
I estimate approx 200,000 Pesos..
They don't estimate anything as they still haven't turned up!!
Ayyy mañana!!
(perhaps they have family working in Britain?)

thats nothing new fred, same here, next door had their whole roof replaced nearly 18 months ago, they botched our roof, where the 2 roofs join togther, i had to phone them many times, was fobbed off, threaten to sue my neighbour if it wasn't repaired, neighbour claimed he wasn't responsible, which he is thou.

finally a year later they came back, and i didn't even know, becuase the roof still looked the same, i complained again, more threats to sue.

finally they sent another roofing company to do an estimate, that was start of jan, they phoned me 2 days later saying they got the go ahead to do the repair and would do it 2 days later, i've had to phone the second roofing company about 5 times, becuase they've still not bothered to repair it yet, on monday when i phoned. they told me friday, i asked them about replacing the lead flashing on a chimney stack in jan, they wanted £360 for doing two chimneys stacks :action-smiley-081:, i wouldn't employ anyone who didn't turn up when they say they would. bad tradesmen, bad workmanship, bad reputation and it leads to bad headaches.. :NoNo:

alicat
12th March 2008, 14:44
its 1 to 83 now,,and going :xxgrinning--00xx3:

thanks for the update,i dont need to check the
exchange rate now,coz i need to send some money
later:doh

ervenescence
13th March 2008, 09:22
its 1 to 84 now, and still going :D

alicat
13th March 2008, 09:34
i just send some money yesterday,its 1 to 81.05

aromulus
13th March 2008, 09:44
Dollar into nosedive again.....:NoNo:

This will affect the OFW, in that neck of the woods, quite a lot.:doh

Troubadour
13th March 2008, 09:52
The falling pound has cost me dear too. It is hard work saving for the house and paying for the family needs in Phili. It is hard to know what to do for best a lot of the time. I can see a real yo-yo time ahead for evryone, whether Peso, Pound or pulserates

joebloggs
13th March 2008, 10:44
i just send some money yesterday,its 1 to 81.05

you should have used pnb europe, its been around 82.6 to 84.00 in the last few days..

mhynne
13th March 2008, 11:12
wow 84 pesos to the pound!
how i wish AT LEAST it goes back to 90 pesos...

alicat
13th March 2008, 14:20
you should have used pnb europe, its been around 82.6 to 84.00 in the last few days..

really?i never try that before...
can u give me some information about
pnb europe?tnx

joebloggs
13th March 2008, 14:26
pnb europe?tnx

http://www.pnbeurope.com/

they usually give the best exchange rate,

and i think only charge £5 to transfer upto £1,000

never used anyone else for many years but pnb

alicat
13th March 2008, 14:30

they usually give the best exchange rate,

and i think only charge £5 to transfer upto £1,000

never used anyone else for many years but pnb

thanks...this has helped a lot.

ginapeterb
13th March 2008, 15:21
I second Joe on this, we use PNB Europe also, its £5.00 up to £1,000 as he has said, and the rate is normally well up to date and spot on, and hey guys the pound is rising gradually, I just checked in at the mid market rate is 84.30 to the pound, lets hope it hits 85 ± and get back to 90 asap, that would be great news and a relief on my remittances and yours I am sure.

jonnijon
13th March 2008, 18:41

walesrob
13th March 2008, 18:44

Spammers :icon_lol:

IainBusby
13th March 2008, 18:58
pnb europe?tnx

You can download the application forms from their website and open an account with them which needs a maintaining balance of £50. Then you can transfer money into the account from your regular bank current account on the internet. Then when your ready to send remittances, you just send an instruction by email with a scanned authorisation letter and the money will be transferred overnight either to a Philippines PNB bank account, delivered to the door, or to another Philippines bank account.

You can also set up online remittance with them. With online remittance, you just register your credit or debit cards and your benificiaries on their website, then whenever you want you can just log on and transfer the money. The only drawback with the online remittance method is that the credit card companies and the banks treat it the same as when you withdraw cash on a credit card and they charge you an extra fee.

The best thing about PNB Europe is that the rate always seems to be about the best that can be had and you can check the rate on a daily basis before you decide to remit.

Iain.

IainBusby
13th March 2008, 19:12
It's a pity that PNB stopped doing the mobile phone rapid remit, I thought that was the best method. You just registered your mobile phone number with them and then you sent a coded text message to them. The coded message included an account code, the amount you wanted to remit and a code for your pre-registered benificiary.

It seemed to work great for me I can't think why they stopped it.

Iain.

joebloggs
13th March 2008, 19:19
Spammers :icon_lol:

but it's good spam :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
13th March 2008, 19:34
but it's good spam :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Is it fried:Erm:

andypaul
13th March 2008, 19:45
You can download the application forms from their website and open an account with them which needs a maintaining balance of £50. Then you can transfer money into the account from your regular bank current account on the internet. Then when your ready to send remittances, you just send an instruction by email with a scanned authorisation letter and the money will be transferred overnight either to a Philippines PNB bank account, delivered to the door, or to another Philippines bank account.

You can also set up online remittance with them. With online remittance, you just register your credit or debit cards and your benificiaries on their website, then whenever you want you can just log on and transfer the money. The only drawback with the online remittance method is that the credit card companies and the banks treat it the same as when you withdraw cash on a credit card and they charge you an extra fee.

The best thing about PNB Europe is that the rate always seems to be about the best that can be had and you can check the rate on a daily basis before you decide to remit.

Iain.

Hi iain is the Transfer in realtime or do you have to wait for it to be processed by the bank?

jonnijon
13th March 2008, 20:16
MMMMMMMMMMMM spam and balut fritters:spam1::Blacklistthatsucks:

IainBusby
13th March 2008, 20:26
Hi iain is the Transfer in realtime or do you have to wait for it to be processed by the bank?

It's available to your benificiary the next day as the transfer takes place at the end of trading that day.

Iain.

andypaul
13th March 2008, 20:29
It's available to your benificiary the next day as the transfer takes place at the end of trading that day.

Iain.

Thanking you Sir Kindly:xxgrinning--00xx3:

ginapeterb
13th March 2008, 20:30
Thanks for that Ian, thats good info, I had problems though logging in to register for their online remit service, and to date I still haven't been able to do it, that was after Miss Gina took a day off her half term holiday to get into Victoria street to open an account.

PNB is ok, but I find it easier to deposit in their Barclays Knightsbridge account and then call LIC to send it for us, it seems to work and is there within 4 days, but many tell me its there within 1 day direct.

andypaul
13th March 2008, 20:34
Thanks for that Ian, thats good info, I had problems though logging in to register for their online remit service, and to date I still haven't been able to do it, that was after Miss Gina took a day off her half term holiday to get into Victoria street to open an account.

PNB is ok, but I find it easier to deposit in their Barclays Knightsbridge account and then call LIC to send it for us, it seems to work and is there within 4 days, but many tell me its there within 1 day direct.

The missus rings up and its there in her bros account by the time she rings him up to let him know

IainBusby
13th March 2008, 21:04
I had problems though logging in to register for their online remit service, and to date I still haven't been able to do it

The first thing I had with them was the Customer Card and to be honest just about every method I have used with them has been troublesome to set up at the start and usually required a few emails and phone calls to sort things out.

It may be PNB Europe, but I think everything is done just the way it would be done in the Philippines........ verrrrrrrrrry slowly, with every piece of paper going through 20 pairs of hands before it's finally processed.

Now that I have all of the transfer methods set up however, I find it very easy to use the both the customer card, online remittance and also to transfer to my PNB account from my current account and from my PNB account to my benificiaries. There's always the £50 that's just dead money lying in the account which grates a little, but I think it's still worth in the end.

Iain.

andypaul
13th March 2008, 23:12
Lets hope they get some competion soon to make them more efficent.

Iain never venture into one of the two uk branches unless you have time to spare.

robeth
13th March 2008, 23:41
ya, they need competition to be more effective bec i just called victoria branch yesterday (after a million attempts ) for a remittance and an old lady (voice saounds very old) was very nasty and rude on the phone and sounds like she was really doing a very big favour to me.

she asked millions of questions (which i understand for security reasons ) so i got fed up for i thought it will never end and said "i sent money every month and its never like this !" finally she did the transaction to my relief!

heavens! i dont know whats the £5 service charge for...:furious3: to be treated like that...

ginapeterb
14th March 2008, 09:16
Message for Ian,

I would be grateful Ian if you could just update me on what is the procedure with PNB

Let me tell you what happened.

During last half term of school, Miss Gina went to PNB in London, took her most of the day, and was in their for about 1 hour, she opened the passbook account and deposited 10,000, now the account is open and we have the passbook.

I then tried to register for their online remittance service, however when I put in my details, no e mail from them to get my password username etc.

So I have basically left it at present.

What I need is for you to tell me exactly what to do to get into a position where we can deposit money to PNB I assume they use their Barclays account as PNB Europe.

And then our beneficiaries including Miss Gina's own account in the Bacolod City branch, will get the money quickly.

Your advice would be appreciated, since you seem to have cracked the case, and also Andy you have seem to have it well set up.

Now its not often I ask for advice, but on this issue, I am listening and waiting.

Cheers lads.

fred
14th March 2008, 09:50
You dont need an account with PNB London or even an acc in R.P.
Call them in London give them sender and recipient name and your debit/credit card info..
More than 2000 Pounds you will need to provide source of funds.

If you decide to register online,phone them to add your payment details (credit/debit card, recipient name or bank where they will pick up the cash etc.) for quick easy future online payments.

pnbeweb@pnbeurope.co.uk or call 020 0 7397 1360 if you are having problems with your online acc.

IainBusby
14th March 2008, 10:38
Message for Ian,

I would be grateful Ian if you could just update me on what is the procedure with PNB

Let me tell you what happened.

During last half term of school, Miss Gina went to PNB in London, took her most of the day, and was in their for about 1 hour, she opened the passbook account and deposited 10,000, now the account is open and we have the passbook.

I then tried to register for their online remittance service, however when I put in my details, no e mail from them to get my password username etc.

So I have basically left it at present.

What I need is for you to tell me exactly what to do to get into a position where we can deposit money to PNB I assume they use their Barclays account as PNB Europe.

And then our beneficiaries including Miss Gina's own account in the Bacolod City branch, will get the money quickly.

Your advice would be appreciated, since you seem to have cracked the case, and also Andy you have seem to have it well set up.

Now its not often I ask for advice, but on this issue, I am listening and waiting.

Cheers lads.

If you have an account with them already then you don't really need to use the online remittance as that is for transferring from your credit or debit cards.

All I did was persist until I got things organised. You need to phone or email and get the correct (their version of your) Account Number and Sort Code so that you can transfer money into the account from your day to day current account, in my case my Alliance & Leicester current account.

The next thing I done was to download the forms and apply for a Customer Card. Once you have that set up and you can log in to it, you can register benefiaries and send money from the balance in your account.

I think it's easier if the benificiaries have PNB Philippines accounts and although when we first met my gf. now wife had another Phils account, I thought it was worth giving her the P5000 maintaining balance so that she could open a PNB Philippines account. I was lucky I didn't have to fork out another P5000 for her family cos her dad already had a PNB account.

As far as the online remittance is concerned, I just registered online and they sent me the username and password. Then I logged in and changed the password as advised, registered my credit and debit cards (your allowed to set up two cards only) and my beneficiaries.

My wife's PNB Philippines account is still open and that account is still on my list of beneficiaries, so when we go to Phils, we just transfer our holiday spending money into that account and then I don't have to worry about being penalised by my bank for withdrawing money in a foreign currency.

The main thing when it comes to dealing with PNB is that you need to be persistent and patient. I found that if you send an email, then wait a couple of days, if there's no reply, send it again. It will usually get answered the second time around.

The thing about email is that you usually get someone's name and direct number as a signature on the email and you've got more chance of following up with phone calls when you've got a name. As I said before, once you've managed to set it all up, It'll all be worth it.

Iain.

IainBusby
14th March 2008, 11:09

Thanking you Sir Kindly:xxgrinning--00xx3:

AndyPaul, I'm not sure if the transfer would be realtime if you were transferring to another Philippines bank, not PNB. I think in that case the banks would do what they always do, make your money disappear into a black hole for 4 or 5 days.

Iain.

KeithD
14th March 2008, 11:12
I hate it when the Dollars is more value.....I start thinking of a holiday :doh

jonnijon
14th March 2008, 19:10
All I did was get my honey to go to PNB in Phills and ask for a Global Filipino Money Card.This was issued to her the next day(she had to take two ID's with her)she then forwarded the account number to me.I in turn,posted a copy of my passport and a UK utility bill (notarised by accountant or lawyer)to PNB London along with her name and account number,and my e-mail address.Within 48 hours was all up and running.

andypaul
14th March 2008, 19:33
ya, they need competition to be more effective bec i just called victoria branch yesterday (after a million attempts ) for a remittance and an old lady (voice saounds very old) was very nasty and rude on the phone and sounds like she was really doing a very big favour to me.

she asked millions of questions (which i understand for security reasons ) so i got fed up for i thought it will never end and said "i sent money every month and its never like this !" finally she did the transaction to my relief!

heavens! i dont know whats the £5 service charge for...:furious3: to be treated like that...

Make sure you let them know of your bad experience. To often i notice people compailn about Phill companies on here. But never say anything but would of course do if it was Natwest or barclays for example.
I have noticed when dealing with phill owned or phill memebers of staff in a company they don't see to be able to handle complaints very well. one remittance company when i complained that the transfer had been delayed for two days replied well people don't normally mind:omg:
Well good for them let them waste their money.

If the customer service manager of PNB, everyday recieved reports of what a fiasco the procedure was (I fully respect what you say iain) but as they are a company why should i be persistent and patient?

They should serve you straight away if skilled members of staff are standing behind the counter. They should be able to speak both clear English english and Tagalog and not make basic mistakes. Why should i send emails which are ignored?
If any of us in our jobs made mistakes with others money in particular we would expect to be complained to and if a consistent pattern emerged we would expect to work out how to avoid the problem occuring ever again.

Even if you think the service is okish with flaws tell that company the flaws so they can work on iron them out.

Any manager, director or company owner wants to hear what people think is good and bad about the serivce why do you think companies spend so much on market research?

Gavanddal
16th March 2008, 19:24
Well I've got until November before I go again and I hope the rate goes over 95 at least.
I arranged a dive trip at P49,000 which was £550 when I first booked it, then it went up to £70 more. If it returns to 89 to 1 and above then we're OK.
Fingers crossed eh?