PDA

View Full Version : Will my mobile phone work in the Phil

symonh2000
25th March 2006, 18:49
Hi everyone, I have a Nokia Tri (900/1800/1900GSM) banded mobile phone, and plan to take it away with me to Manila, I was just wondering if it will work in the Philippines. It is on Tesco mobile, which supports international roaming, but the Philippines was not listed on their contries list.
Does anyone know if this will work or other mobiles that will work, from other UK networks.
Cheers,
Simon.

john s
25th March 2006, 20:29
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(symonh2000 &#064; Mar 25 2006, 05&#58;49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi everyone, I have a Nokia Tri (900/1800/1900GSM) banded mobile phone, and plan to take it away with me to Manila, I was just wondering if it will work in the Philippines. It is on Tesco mobile, which supports international roaming, but the Philippines was not listed on their contries list.
Does anyone know if this will work or other mobiles that will work, from other UK networks.
Cheers,
Simon.
[/b][/quote]

Hi Simon,

I take my mobile with me when I go, I am on Orange and it works fine

John s

Eljohno
25th March 2006, 21:04
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(symonh2000 &#064; Mar 25 2006, 05&#58;49 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Cheers,
Simon.
[/b][/quote]

Simon the first thing you need to check is that your phone has been unlocked that you can use it in other countries. I am not sure about about Tesco but it might be better buying another sim like 02, Orange or Vodafone.

But my best suggestion if it suits is buy a Globe or Smart sim when you are there for around £1-1.50 which means all your texts within the Philippines will be 1 peso and to text back home will be around 15 pesos.
If you use a sim card from here it costs around 50 pesos per text so it is something to think about but first as i have said is check that your phone can be used abroad (Unlocked)

John

andypaul
25th March 2006, 22:14
Most likely your phone will work.

But check who you wanna call and what you might need to use the phone for. When in phill both my wife and relatives would ask to borrow phone to make quick call/text. That quick call might cost 100 - 200 pesos even if it is a few mintues. Like others say its worth buying a globe/smart/sun whoever sim once there if you need to make local calls. If you need for calls or to stay in contact to and from uk then use your uk providers.

I found it useful to take a spare phone which i put a globe sim (network the wife and family used) in to spare so when out and about if i was to get lost or need in an emgency i could ring or text them easily.They could also ring or text me while there cheaply if needed. If they had to ring my uk number it cost them a fortune and me as well as i paid to recieve the call.
Also if a realtive needed to use a phone i could hand them that phone and i didn&#39;t have a huge phone bill once back in the UK.

equaliser
26th March 2006, 00:37
I am on Pay-as-you-go with Orange which didn&#39;t work in Davao , but I was able to get my phone (motorola v500) unlocked there for a fiver and bought a cheap Globe SIM to text and phone while I was there. Very cheap texts and calls

Brian

Eljohno
26th March 2006, 00:50
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(equaliser &#064; Mar 25 2006, 11&#58;37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am on Pay-as-you-go with Orange which didn&#39;t work in Davao , but I was able to get my phone (motorola v500) unlocked there for a fiver and bought a cheap Globe SIM to text and phone while I was there. Very cheap texts and calls

Brian
[/b][/quote]

As long as your phone is unlocked then both contract & pay as you go sim cards will work&#33;&#33;&#33;

equaliser
26th March 2006, 14:01
It depends which phone company you are with John.

I heard Vodafone pay as you go does work , but Orange pay as you go definitely did not work in Davao last July, even with my phone unlocked. It all depends on whether the phone companies agree with each other or not.

On one trip to Perth , Australia, my phone was automatically connected to Vodafone even though I am an Orange customer. style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif

Still cheaper to buy a SIM card out in the Phils

Admin
27th March 2006, 08:58
Just buy a cheap tri-band unlocked phone on Ebay.

symonh2000
9th April 2006, 20:47
I have a tri band phone, but it is locked. It currently runs tesco mobile, which is on the O2 GSM900 network.

Admin
10th April 2006, 09:17
Just search Google on how to unlock it.

BT wanted £40 off me to unlock my XDA, in the end I found a simple code on Google that done it in seconds for free.

walesrob
10th April 2006, 13:12
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Apr 10 2006, 09&#58;17 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just search Google on how to unlock it.

BT wanted £40 off me to unlock my XDA, in the end I found a simple code on Google that done it in seconds for free.
[/b][/quote]

Anyone got an unlock code for a Motorola V3 style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif

deepete
10th April 2006, 15:00
My wife bought me the same phone a couple of months ago and it was difficult to find someone to unlock it. Didnt fancy the on line ones as did not know how reliable they were.

I ended up going into bandit country (Tottenham) and a guy done it, while i waited, for a fiver. It was a small shop, not one of the big chains.

So find the worst area where you live and someone there should be able to help.

walesrob
10th April 2006, 15:35
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deepete &#064; Apr 10 2006, 03&#58;00 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
My wife bought me the same phone a couple of months ago and it was difficult to find someone to unlock it. Didnt fancy the on line ones as did not know how reliable they were.

I ended up going into bandit country (Tottenham) and a guy done it, while i waited, for a fiver. It was a small shop, not one of the big chains.

So find the worst area where you live and someone there should be able to help.
[/b][/quote]

Unlike Nokia&#39;s, Motos are a pain to unlock as they are so many verions, software, bootloaders, etc. I managed to get mine unlocked for £14 online via USB cable. The website I used calculates the codes on-line and directly unlocks the phone for you through a specially designed piece of software you download.

Most of the local shops wanted £25, one shop said they wouldn&#39;t touch it as its still in contract. What rubbish, I&#39;ve done it many times to the Nokias I had in the past. Unlocking a phone whether in or out of contract is NOT illegal, so we&#39;re all entitled to do it as long as you pay the money.

Find the worst area? I&#39;ll have to travel up to Rhyl, its rough up there innit Keith? style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Hellooo.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Wave.gif

scotsfiancee
14th July 2006, 23:47
Samsung,Vodafone, and nokia will works here in the philippines.... everytime my fiance is here he dont have any problem to his network as its working wherever he goes..

symonh2000
15th July 2006, 23:00
Just an update.. It worked for text (SMS) but for some reason I couldn't make or receive calls, except from my girls phone. The same happened while I was at hong kong airport..

scotsfiancee
16th July 2006, 13:48
Well i guess you must have to phone the costumer service before you live Uk and ask if it will gonna work in the PI and some asia's country..O2 works good.