PDA

View Full Version : how much to live in Phils?

Gavanddal
3rd March 2008, 23:12
If you were to jack in life in the UK and move to the Philippines, assuming you already had a house there, how much would you need per month to live on?

aromulus
3rd March 2008, 23:14
If you were to jack in life in the UK and move to the Philippines, assuming you already had a house there, how much would you need per month to live on?

Not being extravagant, I reckon that the normal state pension would be more than ample for a comfortable living.

chino
3rd March 2008, 23:21
400/500pm for 2 people i think to live well

Mrs.JMajor
4th March 2008, 02:11
for comfortable life w/ cars including gaz i spent 25 thousand per month,specific amount not include if u buy things unexpected huh,one day food nearly one thousand oppsss but if u stay in province well a bit less expensive,i guess sir al opsss daphne will answer u as he live in Dumaguete w/ hannah...another story if u want housemaid to wash the cloth clean the house

fred
4th March 2008, 02:21
how much would you need per month to live on? Bit of a lazy question really.
So many answers based on different needs and wants I suppose.
Some need Php 20,000 PM while others need PHP50,000..
There are those that wouldn`t consider a budget of less than P100,000 PM. Lots of Filipino families living on less than P10,000 a month and some on less than P5,000 PM.
If you find an average somewhere between 5.000 and 100,000 you might find a figure that is doable..Then again maybe not.
Hope that makes sense.

scott&ligaya
4th March 2008, 03:22
Depends on where you want to live, what kind of lifestyle you want, if you want to visit other parts of Asia whilst living there, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, China, Malaysia, Tibet etc are all much more accessible than before so as Fred said you need to give us some specific pointers on how you want to live, for example, to book a dive master for a days diving in Palawan costs me as much as I pay for both of our live in staff.

The fuel bill for the diesel Pajero can be more than our shopping bill for the month if we take a drive down to the south or up to the north of the Island and one tyre at 6000 pesos is again more than one months wages for both staff.

RHB
4th March 2008, 09:55

how much beer do you drinK? How many maids will you have, will you eat out everynight, go to the discos, shoot to Manila once a week? Cable, Internet?

Or live in a Nipa hu on the beach in Negros?

A wide variety of lifstyles are possible.

KeithD
4th March 2008, 10:38
.....the dishes daily are dried fish and soy sauce on the table :Erm::D
No different than living in my house then :rolleyes:

Mrs.JMajor
4th March 2008, 11:05
No different than living in my house then :rolleyes:

:icon_lol::Cuckoo::Cuckoo: u sure u let miss ping to eat dried fish hahaha

joebloggs
4th March 2008, 11:10
Not being extravagant, I reckon that the normal state pension would be more than ample for a comfortable living.

not for long it wouldn't, you would need a private one to, or like i intend to do, send the misses out to work :omg: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

"at present the UK State Pension is only uprated where there is a legal obligation – for instance, where UK pensioners are living in the European Economic Area – and in certain other countries where there is a reciprocal arrangement in place, these include Israel, Turkey and the USA.

Our approach is a long standing one that has been shared between different governments, that is that the social security system is designed primarily for people living in the UK. Current estimates show that it would cost around £420 million a year to fully unfreeze the State Pensions to bring all pensioners living abroad up to the level with those living in the UK. This cost would also be higher in the future under our proposals to up-rate the basic pension in line with average earnings growth in the UK. This issue was debated during the Commons Committee stage of the Bill and there are no plans to change this policy"

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/pensionsreform/weblog/index.php/2007/03/19/an-apology/

Sim11UK
4th March 2008, 16:18
I did read on another website, that you could retire at the present time on £100,000?... This is if you invest it & live off the interest.
Think it was supposed to give you, a reasonable lifestyle. Like others have said though, peoples ideas of reasonable are different.

Please don't quote me on this, as it was just something I read. Thought it might just be worth throwing in though.

Sadly I don't have £100,000...yet...not for a very long yet :bigcry:

fred
4th March 2008, 16:34
100,000 quid should produce PHP44,000 a month tax free at todays sorry exchange rates..

joebloggs
4th March 2008, 16:36
i'm still counting on the misses getting a good job, but thats gonna be many years yet,, :cwm24:

ginapeterb
4th March 2008, 16:42
I have spoken to many expat's who live in country all year round, a good friend of mine John from Bacolod City, says you need about P1500 per day to live on, thats about P45,000 a month.

John told me this pays for his house, 2 maids, he also runs a Kia Sportage around, and has a driver/bodyguard, and he eats out about once per day.

Some of you are right in your assertions that it really depends on what you want to do from one day to the next.

If you think about it, £1000.00 at the current exchange rate today of 80.50 would give you somewhere in the region of P80,000 a month, you should be able to live a comfortable lifestyle on that sort of money.

I also have consulted many long term residents in the Philippines who are also expats, they say, if you can learn to eat the local food, you stand a good chance of cutting down your budget.

For example: if you can develop a taste for fish, rice, and soy sauce, vinegar etc, and simple Filipino food, naturally your budgetary requirements move down quite considerably.

However, would you be able to do that ? I always put my hands up and am very truthful about the style of life I have when in country.

Do any of us really understand what it is like to live on a bottom line budget, chances are..all of us here at this forum do not.

Watch how the Filipino family lives, you will be very surprised how they save money on the most amazing things, for example, in our house in the provinces, we have a lovely American style fridge freezer, very nice you may all say, of course it looks nice, it dispenses lovely cold water and juice, makes ice, the problem is, its so expensive to use on electricity, that the moment my back is turned the fridge gets turned off by the caretaker.

Its not that the caretaker thinks that I cannot afford to run this electricity guzzling kano fridge !

Its just that, she thinks it costs too much to run, quite simply, her Filipino cultural cost saving measures kick in, then of course we have a nice water cooler, quite frankly, every time I turn my back, that also, gets switched off, the cost savings measures of Filipinos tend to kick in.

Also, with air conditioning which i like to run, it costs P6000 everytime I have it on for 3 weeks, again, the minute I walk out of aroom the aircon is switched off.

Costs are very imporant in determining what sort of lifestyle you will need when you arrive, doing some research into what others spend against what you think you will need is also important, especially if you will be on a fixed budget.

fred
4th March 2008, 16:43
Thats alright Joe..Dont worry..I`ll put you up..
You can do all my painting.

fred
4th March 2008, 17:03
If you think about it, £1000.00 at the current exchange rate today of 80.50 would give you somewhere in the region of P80,000 a month, you should be able to live a comfortable lifestyle on that sort of money.Pete..
Please forgive me as I cannot understand how you come to the figure of PHP80,000 a month..?
The guy has an imaginary figure of 100,000 Pounds to invest.
What interest rate are you using to get that kind of monthly return tax free?
Im not saying its impossible BTW.

Do any of us really understand what it is like to live on a bottom line budget, chances are..all of us here at this forum do not.Im afraid you have an exception here Pete. I did this here for almost 3 years. Im not proud of it..But there you are.

KeithD
4th March 2008, 17:09
As long as it had broadband, I'd live in this....

http://image.guim.co.uk/Guardian/travel/gallery/2007/aug/21/africa/BN17748_4a-1122.jpg

fred
4th March 2008, 17:13
As long as it had broadband, I'd live in this....Is that a deal then?

KeithD
4th March 2008, 17:22
Does it have a fitted kitchen & jacuzzi? :rolleyes:

sam_althea
4th March 2008, 17:23
my honest answer would be 30,000pm in the province...80,000 in manila....200,000 in ayala alabang (2-3rooms)

fred
4th March 2008, 17:24
Yes.
Well,Kind of.

tomm
4th March 2008, 17:24
Some of us would find it hard to live on 80k pm. Bootiful eh :rolleyes:

joebloggs
4th March 2008, 17:46
Do any of us really understand what it is like to live on a bottom line budget, chances are..all of us here at this forum do not.

well i've had good and bad paid jobs, good ones, where i managed to save £1,000 a month, straight to a pep for many years and that was 7years ago. and i ,know whats it like living on a bottom line budget :NoNo:, not a nice place to be, but you learn you don't need designer this or that, in the end you don't need most of the Luxuries you buy and waste money on. as long as you've got your health, your family and i agree with scouser keith:xxgrinning--00xx3:, broadband, i don't need much else. i can budget better than the misses, and probably most women :xxparty-smiley-004:, so i pay all the bills and with 3 kids, and 2 to support in the philippines, i need to look after the pennies, but i need a better paid job thou :cwm24:

as for 80k a month :D, that would do me, no probs .. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
4th March 2008, 17:56
Thats it!! Get it out of your system Joe!! Better out than in mate!

ginapeterb
4th March 2008, 17:57
Joe...you dont really know what it is like to live on less than $2.00 a day mate come on....

joebloggs
4th March 2008, 18:06
what ever happened to womens weekly use to get all me money saving tips from there... :Erm:

let it out, what ya drinking fred :Erm: maybe i should :yikes:

$2 a day, i don't get paid dollars, maybe euros one day, have you any idea what its like for many in the uk :Erm:... $2 a day or err. unemployment benefit is what less than £60 a wk /7 is £8.5 a day, or $16 usd a day..

to many on here that $16 might as well be $2, not much difference :Erm:

i know there are many people better off than me, but also many worse off ..

fred
4th March 2008, 18:49
Joe...you dont really know what it is like to live on less than $2.00 a day mate come on....Pete..You would be surprised how little you could live on If the worst came to the worst..

I just had a bowl of rice and a plate of gabby leaves 10 mins ago with a little patis calamansi on the side..
Brought back some memories!

ginapeterb
4th March 2008, 19:10
yes well fine but thank goodness we all do not have to live on just that.

fred
4th March 2008, 19:20
Pete..Nothing wrong with eating fresh vegetables cooked in freshly squeezed coconut milk served with steaming 1st class rice!
If you learn to eat local food you are half way there...
Nothing to do with money or bacon sarnies.

KeithD
4th March 2008, 19:22
Kentucky bucket for me everyday in the Phil.....I live like the American locals :D

ginapeterb
4th March 2008, 19:58
as I said, I do not wish to eat local foods, thanks for telling me that there is nothing wrong with it, of that I do not doubt, however, as I re state my position, I dont want them.

Thanks for the information.

KeithD
4th March 2008, 21:14
Could you imagine eating fried dried fish in vinegar every day :yikes: They don't even feed the prisoners in Burma that......even they think it's cruel :rolleyes:

scott&ligaya
5th March 2008, 03:16
I have found that you will get to really like some local food (Lechon Manok, Bulalo, Tinola, mangoes, young coconut,non stinky fish etc) but will always buy/import some food stuffs, so the local produce lower costs help cancel out our expensive imports. Also once you are in the ex pat community you find that one guy will group/bulk order meat form Aus, one guy will do the same with wines, one with cheeses etc so you just place your order with him and get what you need. The Puerto Princessa ex pat community is mainly German, Dutch, Swiss, Italian and several Brits so just about any European food stuffs can be got by someone through an importer in Manila. I agree with Pete that you will neary always crave/want certain foods and you will pay to get them.

Saying that I have lived in Hong Kong for several years and am returning to Birmingham next week and already know I will miss certain chinese dishes not easily found in the UK.

fred
5th March 2008, 04:56
as I said, I do not wish to eat local foods, thanks for telling me that there is nothing wrong with it, of that I do not doubt, however, as I re state my position, I dont want them.

Thanks for the information.

Thats why it is so difficult in pinning down an exact or even approximate cost for any one person to live here(or anywhere abroad)..
Truth is..The only way to find out is to do a 6 month dummy run.
I think no matter where people choose to live,it makes sense to try and fit in as much as possible regards culture,language and food etc.
This is one of the biggest complaints I hear from Brits in the UK regarding British immigrants..(and with much justification IMO)
Cheers,

Fred.

RHB
5th March 2008, 07:00
Some folks live here in the style to which they have been acustomed to at home. Living in protected enclaves with maids, drivers, eating food that is like what they are used to eating back home, they gather only with other like kind expats and never experience the Philippine culture.It is their loss.

Others come, live among the local people, learn the enjoy the best of Filipino life, food and culture, these folks are enriched because of it.

The former smacks of the old colonial mentality, expressing a disdain for, or looking down upon what is different or alien to them. We call them Peso millionaires.

fred
5th March 2008, 07:48
Some folks live here in the style to which they have been acustomed to at home. Living in protected enclaves with maids, drivers, eating food that is like what they are used to eating back home, they gather only with other like kind expats and never experience the Philippine culture.It is their loss.

Others come, live among the local people, learn the enjoy the best of Filipino life, food and culture, these folks are enriched because of it.

The former smacks of the old colonial mentality, expressing a disdain for, or looking down upon what is different or alien to them. We call them Peso millionaires.

Well said RHB!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Those thinking of moving here and adopting your attitude will vastly increase their chances of living here successfully.

fred
5th March 2008, 08:01
When I was flee high to a grasshopper (in olden times) we had a strange new foreign looking shop open in our town.
It was something called a Chinese resteraunt.
The rumours started flying about this disgusting place killing cats and dogs around the back and disguising this rubbish with strange looking sauces to fool us.
A large gang of kids would chant "Chinks go home" and smash their windows.
This went on for a couple of months but us kids soon got bored and moved on.
6 months later we would all be sitting outside the Chinkies stuffing ourselves with egg fried rice and sweet and sour pork !!

My point being..Try it..You might even like it!

KeithD
5th March 2008, 09:44
:Erm: I only eat mainly Chinese, 90% of the time.

jimeve
5th March 2008, 11:11
Could you imagine eating fried dried fish in vinegar every day :yikes: They don't even feed the prisoners in Burma that......even they think it's cruel :rolleyes:

A bit better than salted fish:vomit-smiley-011:

wobblybob
5th March 2008, 12:20
I asked a similar question/poll on one of the yahoo groups, the q. was how much would a 50 y.o need to invest @6% p.a if he had £25000 capital and had his own house in the phils to have a reasonable lifestyle, the main answer was about £100,000, but I think it is possible to have less, I can live without a/c many can't, I like local dishes, when I lived in Mabolo, Cebu for 6 months I ate my breakfast in a little shackalong the road, one day a local was sitting next to me and asked why I was eating there and not in the malls like all the other foreigners, I replied " well if the food hadn't killed him yet, it's likely it won't kill me and the lady who owns the carendaria needs my money more than the restuarants in the mall" he came back with the reply " you are a very humble man" I was just budgeting! the lady appreciated my 35peso everyday and the locals got really friendly, but I do believe in the old saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" this case Phils n Filipino's

scott&ligaya
5th March 2008, 13:39
I believe that most of us who are in the Phils for a while do engage in the local culture, food, local customs/festivals etc and thoroughly enjoy doing so BUT you will miss somethings from home or Europe in general and if you can access them at a reasonable cost then why not. I for one have several local friends admittedly most are more well to do locals but they still insist that when we eat at their place we will eat Palaweno cuisine and there are few things I have not enjoyed. Going back to the cost of living in the original post I think it is fair to say that it will be what you chose it to be as will the whole living in the Phils experience.

Alan
5th March 2008, 13:44
I asked a similar question/poll on one of the yahoo groups, the q. was how much would a 50 y.o need to invest @6% p.a if he had £25000 capital and had his own house in the phils to have a reasonable lifestyle, the main answer was about £100,000, but I think it is possible to have less, I can live without a/c many can't, I like local dishes, when I lived in Mabolo, Cebu for 6 months I ate my breakfast in a little shackalong the road, one day a local was sitting next to me and asked why I was eating there and not in the malls like all the other foreigners, I replied " well if the food hadn't killed him yet, it's likely it won't kill me and the lady who owns the carendaria needs my money more than the restuarants in the mall" he came back with the reply " you are a very humble man" I was just budgeting! the lady appreciated my 35peso everyday and the locals got really friendly, but I do believe in the old saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" this case Phils n Filipino's

What a great post - in my opinion!

Al.:)

wobblybob
5th March 2008, 14:07
Thanks Alan, considering moving to Dumaguete myself, do you know Dave Golding there originally from Reading?

andypaul
5th March 2008, 20:09
Whats british and phill food?

Eating chicken or pork, rice and gravy is that phill or british?

Eaten it in both countries.

Some phill foods i would rather not eat some, i get along with and others i think are brillant.

In the UK many people from abroad never eat "british" food but many who have been here a while and were fairly young when first here, mainly seem to eat a more british (ie foods and ingredients from all over the world) food whatever you call that.

If i moved to Phill it would only be for the Wife, hoping to move with my Company either to Hong kong or Phill. How much you would need depends on how long you plan to live there.
As the world turns upside down a British state pension may not go very far in Asia in 20 or 30 years time.

aromulus
5th March 2008, 22:55
As the world turns upside down a British state pension may not go very far in Asia in 20 or 30 years time.

By then I would be well past caring... :omg:

KeithD
5th March 2008, 23:01
We just move to another 3rd world country.......like Belgium....

Pepe n Pilar
6th March 2008, 06:32
It depends on what standard of living you can tolerate with. May it be in the province and staying in a big house with farm where veggies and fruits can be harvested in your own backyard or a farm or in Manila and staying in small municipality and can learn to eat the local food or in Manila and staying in exclusive subdivisions. In posh villages you have to pay for guard fees, water bill is quite high because you have a landscape garden, pay an association dues, can maintain at least 2 househelpers and a driver, etc.

Gavanddal
6th March 2008, 07:01
Well, a variety of answers there, mostly saying depending on required quality of life.
Personally I would expect a more varied diet than my in-laws would eat. Rice 3 times a day, every day! No, thanks! I'd have to ship in some more international food, not necessarily fish and chips and steak and kidney pie.

By my reckoning, £100,000 in the bank would give you nearer P29,000 assuming you left it in a UK bank, and if the exchange rate or interest rate dropped then you'd have nothing to fall back on.

Perhaps P40,000 (£500) a month would be confortable. I'd certainly have that from my state pension but that's 20 years away. Ironically by that age I'd have money flooding in but might be too old to enjoy it.
If I had my pension, income from money in the bank from selling my house, eventually I'd inherit my parents house which I might rent out, that would be about P148,000 a month! Wow I could live like a king.

However, If I was to retire early I think I would have to settle on the P29,000 a month and supplement it by turning our Phils house into a pension house/ resort. We could probably make another P40,000 a month minimum especially if we have a pool. Just a thought.

fred
6th March 2008, 08:59
Actually you could do much better than that at todays interest rate and exchange rates..100K @ 6.75% (http://www.angloirishbank.co.im/personal-savings/privilege-fixed-interest-account.asp) would produce P45,000 a month tax free.

If you could make even 20k from your resort thats 65k PHP per month..
Not too shabby!
There are some pretty good ways to increase that amount by investing a small proportion of your 100K (lets say 10K) in a rural bank deposit which would produce 20%.
These are 5 year time deposits interest paid monthly.
(no more than 250,000 in any one acc as this is the max coverage for governments PDIC insurance)
However that aside..P65,000 in the province should = a pretty reasonable standard of living for most.

andypaul
6th March 2008, 09:01
Last night i was watching some of the house buying and building shows revisted which i think were repeated from a while back pre recession. Many were making assumptions like if prices rise, if rates say low, if exchange rate this. Very risky surely you would need income based in phill or asia. As inflation, exchange rates will not favour a brit at present or in the future.what if they bring in a new taxation system first people to cop it surely the joes.

fred
6th March 2008, 09:20
Last night i was watching some of the house buying and building shows revisted which i think were repeated from a while back pre recession. Many were making assumptions like if prices rise, if rates say low, if exchange rate this. Very risky surely you would need income based in phill or asia. As inflation, exchange rates will not favour a brit at present or in the future.what if they bring in a new taxation system first people to cop it surely the joes.

If he sells now he can bank the cash and start earning interest from day one.
If he holds onto the house and the prices drop he could be stuck with it and perhaps face negative equity..
If the house values keep going up then his cash will lose value and he`ll have trouble getting back on the housing ladder..
What if he loses his job?
Always lots of what ifs..
Thats life.

fred
6th March 2008, 09:22
what if they bring in a new taxation system

???

KeithD
6th March 2008, 09:44
If you had £100,000 you'd put it in a Swiss account, not the UK where it is ripped off & taxed.

What's with the maids & driver? I'd be moving for the better climate, not to turn into some posh git that is the envy of the locals, I wouldn't call that 'blending in'. :NoNo:

fred
6th March 2008, 09:49
If you had £100,000 you'd put it in a Swiss account, not the UK where it is ripped off & taxed.

Admin.. If you are a resident abroad (outside EU) then UK tax doesnt come into it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

aromulus
6th March 2008, 09:51

What's with the maids & driver? I'd be moving for the better climate, not to turn into some posh git that is the envy of the locals, I wouldn't call that 'blending in'. :NoNo:

Yeah........... I can just imagine a 6 foot + scouser trying to "blend in" in the Philippines......:Erm::Erm:

wobblybob
6th March 2008, 10:34
here we have if you can live like a poor filipino, you can live on £75 a month and that is with your asawa and 3 kids

The National Statistical Coordination Board said the latest nationwide family income survey showed that a total of 4.7 million families — or 27.6 million Filipinos — were considered poor in 2006, up 16 percent from four million in 2003.

It said incidence of poor families rose to 26.9 percent in 2006 from 24.4 percent in 2003, but remained below the 27.5 percent figure for 2000, the year before President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo was swept to power.

The agency estimates the poverty threshold — the monthly income that a family of five requires to meet basic needs — rose to 6,274 pesos ($154) in 2006, from 5,129 pesos ($126) in 2003 and 4,774 pesos ($117) in 2000.

KeithD
6th March 2008, 12:26
Admin.. If you are a resident abroad (outside EU) then UK tax doesnt come into it.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You get taxed on the interest until you can prove you are no longer resident in the UK, and can only do that after 6 months at the earliest. And you try and prove that :rolleyes:

KeithD
6th March 2008, 12:26
Yeah........... I can just imagine a 6 foot + scouser trying to "blend in" in the Philippines......:Erm::Erm:

Why would I take a 6'+ scouser with me? :Erm::Erm::Erm:

fred
6th March 2008, 14:24
When are you non-resident for UK tax?

You'll be treated as non-resident from the day after you leave the UK if you can show:

you left the UK to go abroad permanently or your absence and full-time work abroad lasts at least the whole tax year
your visits to the UK are less than 183 days in a tax year and average less than 91 days a tax year over a maximum of four consecutive years.http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Taxes/LeavingOrComingIntoTheUK/DG_10026234

KeithD
6th March 2008, 14:36
...and I go back to the 'How do you prove you left permanently?'. The majority of folk have to wait for the 2nd rule to kick in.....but I go back to a previous point....Why the hell woud you want it in a UK bank anyway?

Gavanddal
6th March 2008, 16:18
If I'm using a lump sum to earn monthly interest from then I'd put it into the best account wherever it is.
I'd still have a UK current account to handle the income from any other house getting rental income and use online banking to move it around.....Or I might use my PNB account.

lizaphil
6th March 2008, 16:32
i live in evengelista makati city,, withen neally 2years i rent an apartment 8,000.00 amonth,2bed room 2bathroom,with elictric water sky cable,
and food,etc...i cost 15,000.00pisos...
is not bad yes?

fred
6th March 2008, 16:47
..and I go back to the 'How do you prove you left permanently?'.

Keith.. there's a form you can sign at your local tax office..
Cant remember which one..If you give them a call they will advise,as they did me at the time.

KeithD
6th March 2008, 17:31
Keith.. there's a form you can sign at your local tax office..
Cant remember which one..If you give them a call they will advise,as they did me at the time.

Changed a bit since your day :icon_lol:, our Customs staff are now Polish, and no speaka da language....

andypaul
6th March 2008, 19:02
When looking at Banks be careful with the Internet best performing league tables. Channel four on their news had a long piece saying many had great headline intrest rates but had as banks poor ratings in the banking comunity.

andypaul
6th March 2008, 19:06
???

From my limited knowledge of life in phill no one seems to pay income tax. I know they have evat on purchases, but so do we.
Surely as the nation changes and hopefully prospers surely that will change?

I mean goverments main role in life world wide seems to be creating taxes.

andypaul
6th March 2008, 19:15
If he sells now he can bank the cash and start earning interest from day one.
If he holds onto the house and the prices drop he could be stuck with it and perhaps face negative equity..
If the house values keep going up then his cash will lose value and he`ll have trouble getting back on the housing ladder..
What if he loses his job?
Always lots of what ifs..
Thats life.

I was not talking about one person, must stop writing posts in a hurry rushing for the train.

Quite a few people i know seem to be thinking the sell up and live here or abroad.
I was more commenting on how some on these tv shows and people i hear about or meet seem to make some real optimistic accumptions on how things will turn out. I agree you could always wait a little longer just in case this or that, but sometimes you have to pull your finger out.
But some seem to think the prices will keep rising and rising and we both know they can't, belive it or not some in the UK still think it will happen:omg:

Some seem to have no rainy day funds or a plan B. Been a few write on here and other websites that have not planned and gained knowlegdge of decades like your good self.

fred
6th March 2008, 19:35
From my limited knowledge of life in phill no one seems to pay income tax. I know they have evat on purchases, but so do we.
Surely as the nation changes and hopefully prospers surely that will change?

My son has a job here and he pays income tax..All large company employees do in fact.
Collecting from small businesses that are not registered though?
From my observation here so far,Probably not in my life time.:NoNo:

andypaul
6th March 2008, 20:07
My son has a job here and he pays income tax..All large company employees do in fact.
Collecting from small businesses that are not registered though?
From my observation here so far,Probably not in my life time.:NoNo:

So if say Joe on here opened his fence painting business for example, when he was painting every fence in his local area.
would the local goverment i.e the mayor want his taxes in your experiences? otherwise anyone with a grudge could report you as un registered i guess?

I remeber a great post on one of the Yank phill websites where a guy wrote all the costs which he had experienced when runnng the old standby the internet cafe.
I remember reading about taxes which were almost impossible to get out of which locals were unaffected by with a similar small business.

As GMA tries to sort out the mess surely she will need more funds to push on with progress. I have no idea how they raise the money but its something i would want to take into account.

At first if the misus ever wants to go back i would wish to stay with my present company to get the best for my pension and loyalty bonsues:xxgrinning--00xx3:

But being a busy kind of guy i would want to run a small business more to help the family, but if the taxes kicked in i might be better doing consultancy work and paying them to work around the house/farm.

Sim11UK
6th March 2008, 21:39
Actually you could do much better than that at todays interest rate and exchange rates..100K @ 6.75% (http://www.angloirishbank.co.im/personal-savings/privilege-fixed-interest-account.asp) would produce P45,000 a month tax free.

If you could make even 20k from your resort thats 65k PHP per month..
Not too shabby!
There are some pretty good ways to increase that amount by investing a small proportion of your 100K (lets say 10K) in a rural bank deposit which would produce 20%.
These are 5 year time deposits interest paid monthly.
(no more than 250,000 in any one acc as this is the max coverage for governments PDIC insurance)
However that aside..P65,000 in the province should = a pretty reasonable standard of living for most.

As it was me, who originally brought up the £100,000 figure on this thread, this is exactly what I read on another website.

100 grand, was at the time equivalent to $200,000 which I think was equivalent to 9 million pesos.
Some of the money, would be invested in rural bank deposits, paying interest between 9% to as much as 20%
Like you said Fred, no more than 250,000 pesos in each one, as your money would be safe if the banks were to go bust. :BouncyHappy:

joebloggs
7th March 2008, 13:01
i was thinking of going to live in the phils for maybe a couple of years, living off some of our saving and the misses working, then coming back to the uk and both of us working for a couple of years, and repeating this.. trying to get the best of both worlds.. :Erm:

Mrs.JMajor
7th March 2008, 13:33

You are right andy, some small business can escape to pay taxes at all, even some of the big company or famous individual they didn't elaborate how much they earn :NoNo:

Pepe n Pilar
7th March 2008, 15:03
:D .:yikes: boss thats the # 1 dish mostly of the Filipino family in average level :Erm: but i didn't learn though how to eat that ...even though i'm on middle class :D but when i tell to tomm how they make the dried fish he says :omg::yikes:

:omg::omg::omg:

fred
7th March 2008, 15:06
You are right andy, some small business can escape to pay taxes at all, even some of the big company or famous individual they didn't elaborate how much they earn :NoNo:

Petty much the same in the UK.
Justified in some cases given the stealth taxes there.

Pepe n Pilar
7th March 2008, 15:25
Hi Jedc143, you mean when you deposit a million in your account you won't be asked by the New Accounts Clerk or the Manager? If they don't do that don't think they are not checking on your resources. If you open a savings account you will be advised to place them in some kind of investments wherein it will earn a higher interest for a certain period of time because if it will only stays in your savings account and it's a big sum of money and the deposit transactions is every month then it is doubtful.

fred
7th March 2008, 15:35
Fred how true in UK that if you have that much money on your bank account,the government will question how the hell u get all this money from ? but here in PI no body will question you even u keep putting hundredth thousand on your account every month

Thats why I accepted only mainly cash in the UK.. (being self employed)
Put a cheque though your account and its all over!!
Of course this attitude does not help much when you need to prove your income when applying for something like a home loan/Mortgage..
Stuff the government..Just pay what you think is fair..
Thats what I did anyway.

charlwill
7th March 2008, 15:35
If you put for example £10,000 in your account, the bank informs the gov't and they will monitor the account to see if it occurs more often they will then check to see where the money comes from. This is to stop money laundering.

Pepe n Pilar
7th March 2008, 15:37
Yes Charl, it may be money laundering which is against the law. And to add to that, when you sign the application form to open an account there are informations about yourself. So if you're an ordinary employee and you're depositing millions every month you will be questioned.

fred
7th March 2008, 15:40
Yes Charl, it may be money laundering which is against the law.

We used to send our cash in lumps of 2000 Pound or less through PNB...No questions asked.
Over 2 grand and it is a different story.:NoNo:

Pepe n Pilar
7th March 2008, 15:49
Jedc143 i do understand what you're talking about. You said here in the P.I. no one will question you even if you put hundred thousand in your account every month. You didn't say you have a business because if you do of course they won't because it is understood.

KeithD
7th March 2008, 15:51
Just do what our friends/relatives have done, buy a plantation, live off the profits, keep the savings.

I'd start a pig farm....always wanted to breed police :D

charlwill
7th March 2008, 15:57
ohh yeah i forgot some Filipinos can budget less than 5 thousand per month but the dishes daily are dried fish and soy sauce on the table :Erm::D

we are not that rich nor that poor but we're not eating dried fish and soy sauce everyday.

Pepe n Pilar
7th March 2008, 16:05
By saying hundredth thousand it stands for more than one hundred thousand but, when you say one hundred thousand definitely it stands for one hundred thousand only. So therefore, by saying millions it means you got hundreds of thousands of pesos. Does it make any sense?

charlwill
7th March 2008, 16:11
i never said that it was me.it just a plain answer from me. and I am just true to myself. there's nothing wrong with dried fish though. it is very delicious specially if ur going to dip in a soy sauce with kalamansi.

Pepe n Pilar
7th March 2008, 16:17
Excellent!. I also want dried fish like danggit especially with fried rice and egg for breakfast.:)

fred
7th March 2008, 16:26
i never said that it was me.it just a plain answer from me. and I am just true to myself. there's nothing wrong with dried fish though. it is very delicious specially if ur going to dip in a soy sauce with kalamansi.

Nothing wrong with dried fish..Just as long as its fresh!
Cant beat a bit of dried fish and fried rice with HP sauce fory brekky!

KeithD
7th March 2008, 19:34
Ahh...but given the chance you'd live on rice & dried fish in vinegar just to annoy us white boys :D

charlwill
7th March 2008, 19:48
He he he he. Well, for sure Boss Keith, I can't annoy you coz ate Ping ate dried fish as well. on the other hand I am very lucky because the Love of my life is a very understanding man. It never bothers him. :) :D

KeithD
7th March 2008, 20:23
It never bothers him. :) :D
That's what he tells you :love18:....but as soon as he goes for a :piss2: he'll :vomit-smiley-011: as well.....

charlwill
7th March 2008, 21:31
:):icon_lol::D:D:D:D

ervenescence
7th March 2008, 22:01
:D .:yikes: boss thats the # 1 dish mostly of the Filipino family in average level :Erm: but i didn't learn though how to eat that ...even though i'm on middle class :D but when i tell to tomm how they make the dried fish he says :omg::yikes:

Bloodyhell...:doh

So anyway whats the middle class usually have in their table?

Im a milloinaire by the way, and very posh..but how come i love dried fish? LOL :D

tomm
7th March 2008, 22:27

Im a milloinaire by the way, and very posh..but how come i love dried fish? LOL :D

Might be something to do with where you live.. isn't Grimsby the fish capital of the UK? :rolleyes:

KeithD
7th March 2008, 22:53
isn't Grimsby the fish capital of the UK? :rolleyes:

Yep....no need for GPS.....just wind the window down & follow the smell :D

ervenescence
7th March 2008, 23:17
LOL

Its not that fishy here. Grimsby might be popular for fish but not that stinky.

btw... im not a millionaire nor posh, just claiming to be someone that im not. :Rasp:
did i annoyed anybody? :D

andypaul
7th March 2008, 23:23
LOL

Its not that fishy here. Grimsby might be popular for fish but not that stinky.

btw... im not a millionaire nor posh, just claiming to be someone that im not. :Rasp:
did i annoyed anybody? :D

yeah i thought i finally heard someone up north not complaining they are poor:D

Mrs.JMajor
8th March 2008, 05:30
That's what he tells you :love18:....but as soon as he goes for a :piss2: he'll :vomit-smiley-011: as well.....

--------------:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: nice combination of icon eh !~ hahaha

Pepe n Pilar
8th March 2008, 13:12
Hi Jedc143, where are you staying in Manila?:)

Pepe n Pilar
8th March 2008, 13:15

I'm curious to know what the middle class usually have in their table, Jedc143???:)

Ervenescence, you're a millionare and very posh? wow:omg:can i be your friend? But i'm not rich but i love to eat dried fish as well.... :Erm::Erm::Erm:

Mrs.JMajor
8th March 2008, 14:27
Hi Jedc143, where are you staying in Manila?:)

Hi itsme boundary of sta ana/makati near Rockwell :BouncyHappy:

ervenescence
8th March 2008, 15:11
Ervenescence, you're a millionare and very posh? wow:omg:can i be your friend? But i'm not rich but i love to eat dried fish as well.... :Erm::Erm::Erm:

Yeah Posh millionaire Beckham..lol,

I wonder shes thin because of her dried fish diet..:Rasp:

fred
8th March 2008, 15:31
Look..
Im from affluent Hertfordshire and I occasionally partake of a little dried fish.

Yeah Posh millionaire Beckham..lol

No..She just looks like a dried fish.

ervenescence
8th March 2008, 15:35

LOL :icon_lol:

I feel sorry for a dried fish.

andypaul
8th March 2008, 17:55
Look..
Im from affluent Hertfordshire and I occasionally partake of a little dried fish.

oiiii how dare you Fred:omg:

Please remember Fish have feelings too i should report you to the RSPCA:D

jimeve
8th March 2008, 19:41
Is dried fish same as salted fish.:Erm:

kimmi
9th March 2008, 13:16
Beef,fish and vegetables usually i prefer :)

we eat those kinds of food too, as well as the dried fish so are we also classified as a middle class??:Erm::Erm::doh

Is dried fish same as salted fish.:Erm:

yes Jimeve..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

charlwill
9th March 2008, 13:47
Hi, Kimmy. are u still in Garstang, Lancs?

kimmi
9th March 2008, 13:49
we just came back again here in Scotland, Ate Char..maybe after my visa extension we will move there permanently..:)

hope to see u there..

charlwill
9th March 2008, 13:59
Beef,fish and vegetables usually i prefer :)

Hey, I am just curious if u tried to eat lamb shank, roast turkey, peking duck?
Don't get me wrong, as I've said just curious.

charlwill
9th March 2008, 14:01
we just came back again here in Scotland, Ate Char..maybe after my visa extension we will move there permanently..:)

hope to see u there..

Ok, hope to see you. I am just 5 minutes, maximum of 10 minutes away from Garstang.

kimmi
9th March 2008, 14:03
Don't get me wrong, as I've said just curious..

Ate Charl, I think those foods is not for middle class..:Erm::Erm::Rasp::Rasp:

ervenescence
9th March 2008, 14:04
Now its sunday...fancy a traditional sunday dinner?

This topic is making me stomach churn :D

charlwill
9th March 2008, 14:07

Ate Charl, I think those foods is not for middle class..:Erm::Erm::Rasp::Rasp:

Right, Kimmy. Where does it belong then?

kimmi
9th March 2008, 14:07
well Posh Erve..what do u fancy to eat?? Roast david..he he he

charlwill
9th March 2008, 14:09
Now its sunday...fancy a traditional sunday dinner?

This topic is making me stomach churn :D

Well, yes true Erve today is sunday. Maybe will have roast turkey later or a traditional sunday dinner.

charlwill
9th March 2008, 14:14
Ah ok. So, what about this vegetarian? What class of person would they be?

joebloggs
9th March 2008, 14:18
Ah ok. So, what about this vegetarian? What class of person would they be?

vegetarians are the only class, first class of course :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ervenescence
9th March 2008, 14:19

What? how come? they only eat grass. :omg:

Pepe n Pilar
9th March 2008, 14:56
Don't get me wrong, as I've said just curious.

Hi Charl, i like to eat lamb shank, roasted turkey, peking duck, but i can classify myself as middle class.:)
Oh by the way Charl i like paella and callos and lengua estofado as well......:)

andypaul
9th March 2008, 16:09
I eat whatever is put on me plate.

I guess that makes me hungry

jimeve
9th March 2008, 21:30
What? how come? they only eat grass. :omg:

It's when you smoke it, you get high.:cwm12:

andypaul
9th March 2008, 21:52
It's when you smoke it, you get high.:cwm12:

Unless Mr admin offers you one of his Funny cakes:cwm3:

aromulus
9th March 2008, 21:55

Darn right, boy............:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nothing betters a juicy medium rare Rumpsteak, or some slightly pink and garlicky lamb chops, straight from the charcoal grill........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Give me a piece of vegetarian any day...........:rolleyes:

26. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Meat does come higly recommended............... as you can see....:D

andypaul
9th March 2008, 21:57
Darn right, boy............:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nothing betters a juicy medium rare Rumpsteak, or some slightly pink and garlicky lamb chops, straight from the charcoal grill........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Give me a piece of vegetarian any day...........:rolleyes:

26. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Meat does come higly recommended............... as you can see....:D

Exactly Roast chicken sounds far more enticing to me than roast Lion:D

I mean try and get a whole Lion in your Oven:Erm:

LadyJ
10th March 2008, 00:10
Omg, look what I missed here.

Calm down ladies...:D

It seems like some of you are not happy on what other member's post??:Erm:

For me I'll eat whatever my stomach wants, I can eat what poor people foods or rich people foods, as long it's a food and you cook it for me then I don't mind. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

And hmm all these foods sounds sooo yummy and it's making me sooo hungry!!

LadyJ
10th March 2008, 00:25
I eat whatever is put on me plate.

I guess that makes me hungry

What about bull balls, camel :icon_tonguew: or monkey brain on your plate? will you still eat it?:D

LadyJ
10th March 2008, 00:36
We also have Lamb, Duck, Turkey in Philippines and ate julliet said she's a good cook and used to owned a restaurant there in Philippines so I'm sure she have tried all of those kind of meats.

KeithD
10th March 2008, 10:10
What about bull balls, camel :icon_tonguew: or monkey brain on your plate? will you still eat it?:D

You get all that in a farmers brothel......I think Rob can verify that! :D

andypaul
10th March 2008, 19:49
Omg, look what I missed here.

Calm down ladies...:D

It seems like some of you are not happy on what other member's post??:Erm:

For me I'll eat whatever my stomach wants, I can eat what poor people foods or rich people foods, as long it's a food and you cook it for me then I don't mind. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

And hmm all these foods sounds sooo yummy and it's making me sooo hungry!!

Word

Many of the trendy foods serve in uber cool places in one country are another countries poor peoples food.

I could take the Wife to the swankiest resturant in town for a slap up meal but if a vendor was outside selling chicken intestines on a stick she might not make it in:D

ervenescence
10th March 2008, 19:57
Word

but if a vendor was outside selling chicken intestines on a stick she might not make it in:D

Haha,, memories... theres also giblets and chicken feets also known as adidas. :D

andypaul
10th March 2008, 20:18
On our last trip back to Phill we were in laguna in a town which sells loads of shoes up in de mountains the name escapes me as usual:doh

The Wife with her Bro, Sis and a million small cousins were buying the what have yous of a chicken from a vendor and cooking them on the grill themselves.

we then went later to a resturant in the same town which served very nice food indeed and aimed at the middle classes i guess.

Both went down a storm as the food was great at both, food is cool lets just eat it wherever and whenever we can, make peace and love your food :xxgrinning--00xx3:

LadyJ
10th March 2008, 21:24
Haha,, memories... theres also giblets and chicken feets also known as adidas. :D

erve, also don't forget chicken's head:Rasp:

gWaPito
17th March 2008, 21:22

Some negative talk here, 'he who dares wins' and sometimes loose! To make any worth while gains in life we all know their is risk, nothing is 100% so, to the guy from Gillingham just go for it! you've already planed it all out
Good Luck:)

andypaul
17th March 2008, 22:18
Some negative talk here, 'he who dares wins' and sometimes loose! To make any worth while gains in life we all know their is risk, nothing is 100% so, to the guy from Gillingham just go for it! you've already planed it all out
Good Luck:)

The gentleman planning or already done it on here seem to have researched it in depth and had or have a what if plan.

Seen quite a few cases where people simply didn't plan it out or think of the repcussions. All well and good taking a risk but make sure you realise if you make a big mistake its not a computer game where you get another life. Also if you have a family are you prepared to take them from realtive easy street to hardship lane if a miscalulation is made?

Look how many people are about to see their dream house repossed this year because they didn't just take a risk they use a little common sense and not presume that propety prices would rise for ever or intrest rates would stay low. They may be ok living on baked beans and in rented house but they will have to watch their kids grow up doing the same.

Fred for example had the money in the Bank plus an income and a plan like the man from gillingham has.
Yeah life is up and down but i still don't walk into a busy road with out knowing what could possibly happen.

Im sure several people know of people stuck in phill or the UK who maybe happy to a degree but will unless they come into money be able to vist there country of birth again. Some can deal with that others won't, could you miss loved ones funerals or not see grandchilldren?

Just playing devils advocate

Gavanddal
18th March 2008, 16:39
Oh, glad to see my post has sort of got back on track again.
I won't do anything until my older kids are of an age when they're more independant and the youngest, well we're make a decision nearer the time.
If I can have a reasonable income from investments and top it up with a mini-resort/ pension house income then that would be good.
Plenty of time to plan still.

scott&ligaya
18th March 2008, 17:05
I think there a few of us who are enamoured with the idea of living in the Phils for retirement and would jump at the chance of going sooner with some kind of buisness opportunity. My ex pat(mainly early/semi retired) mates in Puerto Princessa ALL have some kind of business which whilst not generating profits to drive a lavish lifestyle do cover their living costs without touching their savings. As the bloke who rents/runs the boat club says to all starry eyed Yachties passing through "IF you want to make a small fortune here, bring a big one). The reality is if there is an opportunity to make real money then you will have a local competitor very soon usually related to the local gentry in one way or the other who will undercut you and you will have all kinds of problems renewing liscences, getting permits, keeping staff, etc etc etc. You should be prepared to not make too big a splash. We are continually looking for business opportunities in palawan but always PLAN for less than we think we could get, account for competition, try to predict problems and also make sure we are working with connected local people, you may make less with a partner but it is much easier. We fully intend to retire to Palawan in 5 to 7 years time and already have our property(now rented to a German/Filipina couple) and have invested in part share of dive shop and a coffee shop. As a last piece of advise

RESEARCH, PLAN, AND THEN RESEARCH AGAIN

remember the 7p's

Prior preparation and Planning prevents p@ss poor performance

good luck:):)

joebloggs
18th March 2008, 17:36
me. misses and kids will probably go in about 7yrs time for a couple of years, come back here for a few years and go and live in the phils again for a couple of years, i've got no plans of working in the phils :D, not saying no, but i'm being realistic :rolleyes:, but doesn't stop the wife working thou :xxgrinning--00xx3:

that way we get best of both worlds, make money in the uk, make less in the phils..

but Puerto Princessa is where me and the misses will retire, well i will, she be still working :xxgrinning--00xx3:

alicat
18th March 2008, 18:46
me and my hubby has a plan to live in phil.after i get my british
passfort,we have 2 house in subic and its both rented out at the
moment,27 thou amount...its good investment i think coz we get
10%,so we decided to build more houses..but we want to run a
buseness as well.what you think of franchise?

scott&ligaya
18th March 2008, 19:01
We keep our eye on Franchises as Palawan is underdevloped at the moment so there is some opportunities. There is an organisation that runs Franchise fairs in Manila and Cebu, we went to a couple and in time we may go this route. Again it is about assessing the market,the risks, the investment costs, competition etc etc

fred
18th March 2008, 22:50
Good advice Scott..Good attitude too.
You know what? I think you`ll be absolutely fine here.

Gavanddal
18th March 2008, 23:02
that all sounds good. I think it best not to entirely rely on either a Philippine income or a British investment income. If you can exist on one or the other then fine and if both bring in income then you should be able to have a comfortable life. From what I've heard the biggest danger is boredom. Those who retire too early and may have another 50 years ahead of them can get bored. I think it's important to have activities and people around, that's why I like the idea of a small resort or dive centre. A flow of interesting guests should keep the mind active. Also I think you need enough income to be able to return to the UK or travel elsewhere periodically.

I just can't wait to escape the rat race and sky high prices here. £60 to fill my car now, crazy!

andypaul
19th March 2008, 01:33
that all sounds good. I think it best not to entirely rely on either a Philippine income or a British investment income. If you can exist on one or the other then fine and if both bring in income then you should be able to have a comfortable life. From what I've heard the biggest danger is boredom. Those who retire too early and may have another 50 years ahead of them can get bored. I think it's important to have activities and people around, that's why I like the idea of a small resort or dive centre. A flow of interesting guests should keep the mind active. Also I think you need enough income to be able to return to the UK or travel elsewhere periodically.

I just can't wait to escape the rat race and sky high prices here. £60 to fill my car now, crazy!

The Wifes in Phill they are moaning about the prices over there too:NoNo: so no escape totally:cwm23:

I think the keeping active is important and defintely being able to travel elsewhere is very important.

I think also before making the move all involved need to be clear what both their expectations and others in the family is?

You may want to work in a resort but the Wife may not (not saying your case Gavandanddal) but she may go along to please you.

In various programes and real life accounts people take on the challange of a business with no real skills or knowledge either to run a basic business or the skills or know how to run a business in that particular field. The gordon ramsey revamp a resturant show is one example. Can at least one member of the family balance books and have experiencein running a business?

Also some people have started business to help family in phill but from what i gather they seem to have presumed they will make a sucess of it. But don't want to seem rude so dont ask questions they normally would if anyone else.

andypaul
19th March 2008, 01:35
I think there a few of us who are enamoured with the idea of living in the Phils for retirement and would jump at the chance of going sooner with some kind of buisness opportunity. My ex pat(mainly early/semi retired) mates in Puerto Princessa ALL have some kind of business which whilst not generating profits to drive a lavish lifestyle do cover their living costs without touching their savings. As the bloke who rents/runs the boat club says to all starry eyed Yachties passing through "IF you want to make a small fortune here, bring a big one). The reality is if there is an opportunity to make real money then you will have a local competitor very soon usually related to the local gentry in one way or the other who will undercut you and you will have all kinds of problems renewing liscences, getting permits, keeping staff, etc etc etc. You should be prepared to not make too big a splash. We are continually looking for business opportunities in palawan but always PLAN for less than we think we could get, account for competition, try to predict problems and also make sure we are working with connected local people, you may make less with a partner but it is much easier. We fully intend to retire to Palawan in 5 to 7 years time and already have our property(now rented to a German/Filipina couple) and have invested in part share of dive shop and a coffee shop. As a last piece of advise

RESEARCH, PLAN, AND THEN RESEARCH AGAIN

remember the 7p's

Prior preparation and Planning prevents p@ss poor performance

good luck:):)

Great post particulary the 7p's

jimeve
19th March 2008, 12:18
I plan to retire in the RP in 5 or 6 years time(early retirement), at the moment
ongoing project building our retirement house.

The only income I will have is from renting my house in the UK.

There will be no maids, no water bills, (got a well) no body guards(got a gun
only kidding about the gun, basically me and wife will do the house work
between us, and there is plenty of land to grow vegg's and fruit, have a few chickens, may have a pig or 3.

So why should you get bored, having a business in RP is very risky,very few succeed.

Jim

joebloggs
19th March 2008, 12:54
I plan to retire in the RP in 5 or 6 years time(early retirement), at the moment
ongoing project building our retirement house.

The only income I will have is from renting my house in the UK.

There will be no maids, no water bills, (got a well) no body guards(got a gun
only kidding about the gun, basically me and wife will do the house work
between us, and there is plenty of land to grow vegg's and fruit, have a few chickens, may have a pig or 3.

So why should you get bored, having a business in RP is very risky,very few succeed.

Jim

:xxgrinning--00xx3: jim, my plans are the same, rent the house out in the uk, live off savings and the wife will be working, i will not be bored, i would be happy to sit under a palm tree with me orange juice, wondering how the hell i managed to get there, and think about the people who didn't make it :cwm24:..
same as you no maids etc, just me and a bit of land growing our own food :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jimeve
19th March 2008, 13:24
Great post particulary the 7p's

There is another P, PRAY.. you will need to.

scott&ligaya
19th March 2008, 13:45
You are not wrong there Jimeve, I need to add that to my list. Well we have had the house blessed, the pajero blessed, the dive shop and coffee shop are just share holdings but both have been blessed by the pastor of my wife's church so we must be half way there!!, you are right about trying to be self sufficient though, like you we have a well, we also installed solar roof panels and our housekeeper looks after a couple of pigs and a bunch of chickens up the end of the garden by his Kubo Kubo we built for him and his missus. My wife loves growing all manner of stuff(typical farmers daughter) and we have mangoe and coconut trees within the fence.

At a cost of 6000 pesos a month for both caretaker and cook it is a wise investment when our house was empty and we were in Hong Kong and the couple who are now renting want to kep them on. I think when we are there full time we will still keep a caretaker/maintenance/gardener guy just because a large house and grounds (2500sq metres) needs a fair bit of ooking after and I want to spend my time doing other things. Good luck with your house build project and yes keep praying.

alicat
19th March 2008, 14:40
We keep our eye on Franchises as Palawan is underdevloped at the moment so there is some opportunities. There is an organisation that runs Franchise fairs in Manila and Cebu, we went to a couple and in time we may go this route. Again it is about assessing the market,the risks, the investment costs, competition etc etc

thanks a lot..

andypaul
19th March 2008, 16:13
:xxgrinning--00xx3: jim, my plans are the same, rent the house out in the uk, live off savings and the wife will be working, i will not be bored, i would be happy to sit under a palm tree with me orange juice, wondering how the hell i managed to get there, and think about the people who didn't make it :cwm24:..
same as you no maids etc, just me and a bit of land growing our own food :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sounds like the good life with mossies:D

jimeve
20th March 2008, 00:22
sounds like the good life with mossies:D

Mossies only come out at night, unless Joe sits under the tree drinking
orange juice at night :doh

andypaul
20th March 2008, 01:29
Mossies only come out at night, unless Joe sits under the tree drinking
orange juice at night :doh

Why is he under curfew:D

jimeve
20th March 2008, 09:27
Why is he under curfew:D

No, under a tree.:D

love8888
21st March 2008, 14:50
I still prefer in the province small house but very hitech inside not too posh outside so it will not attract the robery reason why as I can grow some vegetables,raise native chicken,native pigs.And have a condo unit in Manila for renting.