PDA

View Full Version : reality

RHB
3rd March 2008, 10:59
just had the chance to talk to a second year practical nursing student here. Two year course. I noticed she was studying for an exam. I asked off hand, what is a trachyotomy? no clue.
One would think they might be familiar with a first line triage practice often encountered in real life. There are a lot of students here, but not so much knowledge. I think the learning institutions have to bear the resonsibility.

kimmi
3rd March 2008, 12:59
Not only the nursing student,RHB..and I am sure not only in the Philippines..:Erm::Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Alan
3rd March 2008, 16:19
Isn't it something to do with Formula 1?

Daphne.:)

Mich
4th March 2008, 06:27
that usually depends on the school, how they teach their students. if she is taking up practical nursing course... basic words like tracheotomy should be taught on the first term. well, i did learn my basic medical terminology on my first term freshman year.

ervenescence
10th March 2008, 23:16
I know what tracheotomy is.

Google search :D

RHB
11th March 2008, 05:46
The point is not that you know, but that most of the students here don't. The provincial schools are a joke. Now if you can afford to go to a major university in Manila or similar, then your chances of getting a good education increase.

ervenescence
11th March 2008, 09:21
The point is not that you know, but that most of the students here don't. The provincial schools are a joke. Now if you can afford to go to a major university in Manila or similar, then your chances of getting a good education increase.

And the point is that, I don't give a bloody damn.

And how did you know that provincial schools there are jokes? Philippine expert eh!?

Do you think so that these students who enrolled in University in Manila has a better education compare to those universities in Cebu, Davao and the others. :rolleyes:

aromulus
11th March 2008, 10:01
And the point is that, I don't give a bloody damn.

And how did you know that provincial schools there are jokes? Philippine expert eh!?

Do you think so that these students who enrolled in University in Manila has a better education compare to those universities in Cebu, Davao and the others. :rolleyes:

I can sense someone's hackles up..................:NoNo:

jimeve
11th March 2008, 10:11
Oops Rhb, You Stood On Someones Paw

KewLan
11th March 2008, 10:11
it's not about the schools, it's the students themselves. schools are regularly monitored by the government. if it doesnt perform well, they are closed down.

many may not be aware, people who topped the licensure exams are graduates from the provinces.

KeithD
11th March 2008, 10:15
No education system is worse than the UK's :NoNo:

Gammon is a wild animal, potato tree, cn u cum out 2nt :doh

kimmi
11th March 2008, 13:14

can u provide us enough proof, why u said these statements, Mister RHB??:Erm::Erm::Erm::rolleyes::doh

KeithD
11th March 2008, 13:31
I haven't met a Filipino whose been to a provincial school that is less intelligent than our own school leavers, in fact they are far more educated, and on top of that are respectful & hard working, something you can not say of the majority of Western kids these days.

kimmi
11th March 2008, 13:31
I haven't met a Filipino whose been to a provincial school that is less intelligent than our own school leavers, in fact they are far more educated, and on top of that are respectful & hard working, something you can not say of the majority of Western kids these days.

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

RHB
11th March 2008, 13:52
Well with an MS Ed in education, I feel qualified to comment. I live here three years have volunteered in the local schools. I have a step daughter and son in school here. I fear for their future. The schools are not preparing these kids for the future as OFW's. Silliman University is OK and maintains a standard, some of the rest are diploma mills, with corrupt teachers, and no oversight.
Educated and intelligent are not neccessarily mutually inclusive.

Anyone who stands on their head to laud the education system here, clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

Private elementary and secondary schools can have decent cirriculii, the public schools are indeed a joke. No computer skills are taught. Kids entering college are not prepared in most cases. Projects in college often are copy paste internet exercises.

A very arrogant attitude not give a damn I might add. come here and help out instead of sitting in your comfy UK house.

I hope to help out andteach a few courses next semester at a local university, and maybe make adifference.

KeithD
11th March 2008, 17:14
Anyone who stands on their head to laud the education system here, clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

You need to learn correct English, you can't STAND ON YOUR HEAD. You should have paid attention in school :NoNo:

ervenescence
12th March 2008, 00:12
Well with an MS Ed in education, I feel qualified to comment. I live here three years have volunteered in the local schools. I have a step daughter and son in school here. I fear for their future. The schools are not preparing these kids for the future as OFW's. Silliman University is OK and maintains a standard, some of the rest are diploma mills, with corrupt teachers, and no oversight.
Educated and intelligent are not neccessarily mutually inclusive.

Private elementary and secondary schools can have decent cirriculii, the public schools are indeed a joke. No computer skills are taught. Kids entering college are not prepared in most cases. Projects in college often are copy paste internet exercises.

3 years of being there in Philippines is not enough for you to criticise the system, and even have the agrression to say that school in provinces are such a joke.

you are humiliating yourself :rolleyes:

A very arrogant attitude not give a damn I might add. come here and help out instead of sitting in your comfy UK house.

I don't mean the kind of education there, I mean the bloody tracheotomy word that I can't be bothered with. The thing is, you only encountered one student you been asking question about the word and it happened that she was puzzled. Then you started pointing that schools in provinces are rubbish. Be specific!

FYI, even if I have a comfy house, and hubby has got a great job here. I never think of just doing nothing, sitting pretty, and spending all his wages to shopping. Im still working my ass off and choose not to be a leech. And if I choose to be a madame, and be sitting all my life in my comfy house? so what? the hell you care? :doh
And oh yes im helping my lil brothers and sisters in there, its me who send them to school. I don't need to be there to help, they know that they got my support.

I hope to help out andteach a few courses next semester at a local university, and maybe make adifference.

Good for you. Goodluck! Hope the Philippines people will recognise your effort in the future. Who knows? and they might even put a statue of you in every school provinces. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
12th March 2008, 00:35
Who knows? and they might even put a statue of you in every school provinces. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I might have some of that myself!!

andypaul
12th March 2008, 00:49
You need to learn correct English, you can't STAND ON YOUR HEAD. You should have paid attention in school :NoNo:

Boss you can.

If you cut your head off:D

But its a once in a lifetime sort of thing:rolleyes:

Starting late last week and for the next three weeks we have 10 work experience pupils joining us at my company in various roles and departments. We were going to take two on but due to being let down at late notice the school was desperate to find places for 8 and our HR credit to them (i can't belive i just wrote that:cwm24:) found them placements and arranged all the paperwork.

These kids are from a very rough inner city school and the extra eight the majority are no angels.

But we have had no problems just praise for them from day one. The Training manger in charge of them said we will treat you right as long as you work hard if you muck about your out no ifs no buts.
We can't pay them i belive but they will recieve freebies and meals out as incentives instead. But they don't know that.

The school was concerned that we insisted they work on monday even with a storm on its way (this is central london not the coast), they then didn't want us to overwork them. The training officer actually rang the parents and said look we will look after your children, but want to work them as they would in a real life situation. If they show promise we will try to develop and possibly employ them in the future. All the parents were like yes yes, as they see what a great chance this is for them.
The school tried to make it as complicated as possible and seem to be totally negative in the way they work with our company.

Today i was with one of them and his mentor from our company it was 6.00 in the evening and we had a major issue. This kid that the school contacts (im not sure if a teacher or liason officer) had warned us might be trouble. Was loving it and even volunteered to make a detour to drop of a vital parcel on his way home and come in very early the next day to help out.

We seem to have a poor education system for various reasons but part of the reason seems to be we don't push our Chilldren enough and movtivate them. We also seem to teach them all the wrong things but i had better not get started on that.

I have tonight written to the training manager to see if we can sponsor the young man though college, if he keeps up this performance for the rest of his time with us.

So it seems its not the kids but the system which is at fault.

Although the skills a lot of the Phill youngsters i have contact with i think is poor (for what we look for in my industry). The majority have the capacity for hardwork and movatied to learn and gain knowledge on subjects which will be useful for them if given the chance.

RHB
12th March 2008, 04:47
3 years of being there in Philippines is not enough for you to criticise the system, and even have the agrression to say that school in provinces are such a joke.

you are humiliating yourself :rolleyes:

I don't mean the kind of education there, I mean the bloody tracheotomy word that I can't be bothered with. The thing is, you only encountered one student you been asking question about the word and it happened that she was puzzled. Then you started pointing that schools in provinces are rubbish. Be specific!

FYI, even if I have a comfy house, and hubby has got a great job here. I never think of just doing nothing, sitting pretty, and spending all his wages to shopping. Im still working my ass off and choose not to be a leech. And if I choose to be a madame, and be sitting all my life in my comfy house? so what? the hell you care? :doh
And oh yes im helping my lil brothers and sisters in there, its me who send them to school. I don't need to be there to help, they know that they got my support.

Good for you. Goodluck! Hope the Philippines people will recognise your effort in the future. Who knows? and they might even put a statue of you in every school provinces. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

how much of that cash are you reinvesting in the Philippines? other than your family. A total of 13 billion US dollars is sent back to the philippines every year by OFW's, 10 % of the PGNP if you know what that is dear. Where is it going?

The educational infrastructure here is capital starved, the Dep Ed allocates it's scarce resources by political means not by need. Students in the public schools have to pay for an electric fan for teacher, all project material costs, are forced to photo copy books as there are none for most of the tudents here, even in the City schools, I have done my research.

The Universities require payment for every special project, or in service, and students are required to pay up to 200 pesos (a lot for many) to attend a recreational concert or activity. If they do not, it goes against their academic record. They lack an adequate number qualified teachers.

Your out of touch, or just have forgotten how it is here.

RHB
12th March 2008, 04:49

And you need to learn the difference between intelligence and education.
but thats what I expect from a filapina dating site web master.:Cuckoo:

fred
12th March 2008, 05:33
:Help1:

RHB
12th March 2008, 06:57
OK truce,

If attacked I can dish it right back with vigor... especially when I am right.
so if the object here is to exchange polite banal chit chat, I can do that too. and just to fit in, I'll add my requisite 10 meaningless emoticons so popular here.:action-smiley-081::D:Rasp::doh:ARsurrender::Cuckoo::cwm12::):Hellooo::Hellooo::bigcry:

The weather is hot, the beer cold, and the local population friendly... in Dumaguete.

visit my blog to see what the Philippines is really like, and it is a positive view.

ervenescence
12th March 2008, 09:43

Your out of touch, or just have forgotten how it is here.

Nope, im never out of touch. Im always keeping in touch :Rasp:, neither forgotten of what is it like there.

RHB, if you think that education system in PH is deteriorating then help out. Don't just blabber and moaned about it.

aromulus
12th March 2008, 09:48
Ok.....

Followed this thread for a while, and I personally think that it may lead to some kind of confrontation...:doh

Now that you all agree to disagree... Can we drop it...???

Sige na....:rolleyes:

RHB
12th March 2008, 10:03
Yeperdoo, as they say in someplace west of the UK.
Anyway, not to add fuel to the fire, let me say to ervenescence, that indeed I do plan to help, have indeed helped already, and recently have had a meeting with the presidents of two universities here in Dumaguete. Despite the intention to help and improve, the realities are as stated in many, read not all, but many places.
You can't blame students, the situation is not static, and there are already several foreign teachers helping out here in both primary and university programs. My goal is to fit in to the undergraduate education program which I feel comfortable teaching.
They need more rigor in certain programs, the education program being the seat of all future issues, needs improving first. English skills are most important, computer literacy is lagging behind in public schools, and critical thinking skills are nearly absent here.

carry on

KeithD
12th March 2008, 10:08
And you need to learn the difference between intelligence and education.
but thats what I expect from a filapina dating site web master.:Cuckoo:

Tell me one Yank that can speak correct English....NONE....:action-smiley-081:.....you can't tell the difference between ZZ & SS.....probably why you couldn't figure out the Nazi's in the war :icon_lol:

"Mr President, the Jews are being slaughtered by the ZZ" :Erm:

Alan
12th March 2008, 10:09
I also intend to do some teaching here in Dumaguete (if I am allowed to.)

As I have said before on this site, teaching is, in my opinion, the best job in the world and so if I can help some children here in my adopted home town, it will make me happy.

Al.:):)

ervenescence
12th March 2008, 10:10
Then good for you RHB, I hope theres some more good people like you. See the problems and willing to help.

btw, my mother is a teacher in one of the local school in the province, I know shes a good teacher, she gave all her time to her work. Her unit hasn't got an electric fan for her to cool down. She never ask her students to pay for something just for her own benifit.

Peace out :ARsurrender:

RHB
12th March 2008, 10:30
Tell me one Yank that can speak correct English....NONE....:action-smiley-081:.....you can't tell the difference between ZZ & SS.....probably why you couldn't figure out the Nazi's in the war :icon_lol:

"Mr President, the Jews are being slaughtered by the ZZ" :Erm:

Well now I know you are desperate for a comback, since you have to refer to a war in which the U.S. saved your beloved UK, and you don't have the sense to realize it, or acknowledge it. Your musings are ethnocentricity at its worst, and rather insulting to the thousands of yanks that gave there lives to save your sorry ass.

The point is your misunderstanding of the terms educated, and intelligence, which you used interchangebly. Clearly you divert because you can't defend your misspoken words.

We can do this forever, or you can follow the advice of one of your subscribers and get it back to topic, after all, your the admin, not a spammer.

this is fun actually

aromulus
12th March 2008, 10:37
Mhhhhhhhh.....:Erm:

ervenescence
12th March 2008, 10:39
OMG!!! :yikes::doh

Yank vs Admin

I can see the flame. :Hellooo:

LadyJ
12th March 2008, 10:41
Sige na....:rolleyes:

Nice to see you're learning tagalog:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
12th March 2008, 10:44
ding ding
http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/d2/unsecured/media/301939259/301939259_330537711_4bc3fe1d05c10a347e95238172908f599811ddb7.jpg

KeithD
12th March 2008, 10:58
:Erm:

Intelligence: Something US politicians do not have.

Education: Brainwashed Yanks by the US media in there own little world.

Truth: Weapons of Mass Destruction :rolleyes:

WW2: Yanks only came into it after the Battle of Britain and we'd secured the air to make it safer. The Germans cancelled the invasion after that. What the Yanks done was help kick Germans back to Germany within Europe. So get yer facts right. Plus US planes done 30,000ft night time bombings, while we (as we still do in Iraq & Afghanistan), do low level day time bombings.

Anyway, you can't admit your a loser when the majority have tried to put you straight. :NoNo: Typical American, always right, the rest of the world are wrong!!

fred
12th March 2008, 11:03
"Americans will always do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the alternatives," - Winston Churchill.

LadyJ
12th March 2008, 11:05
:omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

KeithD
12th March 2008, 11:30
"Americans will always do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the alternatives," - Winston Churchill.

:laugher:

fred
12th March 2008, 11:47
Actually Winston was very fond of Americans...His mother was one!

walesrob
12th March 2008, 12:13
Aww, I missed the fight...

joebloggs
12th March 2008, 12:51
don't take offense RHB but you seem so negative to me about some things in the philippines, that if you were in a dark room, you'd develop :NoNo:, sorry for that.

while AL is always positive about everything :xxgrinning--00xx3:, i know who i would rather be taught by... :rolleyes:

as for teaching in the philippines, my mother-in-law is pretty high up at Palawan state uni, i've sat in some of her classes and the students get on with their work and have nothing but respect for her, something thats lacking in many UK schools.

and as for education in the Phils, my wife has a degree in biology and also one in medicine, and from what i've seen here in the uk, shes just as skilled and knowledgeable, if not more so than many british docotors, filipino nurses are regarded by most NHS trusts as being some of the best.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
so :xxgrinning--00xx3: to all filipino nurses out there ..

as for WW2, the Russians made a difference to, as my parents will take you, they were there, my dad joined the russian army to fight the nazis in the baltic states.

LadyJ
12th March 2008, 12:56
don't take offense RHB but you seem so negative to me about some things in the philippines, that if you were in a dark room, you'd develop :NoNo:, sorry for that.

while AL is always positive about everything :xxgrinning--00xx3:, i know who i would rather be taught by... :rolleyes:

as for teaching in the philippines, my mother-in-law is pretty high up at Palawan state uni, i've sat in some of her classes and the students get on with their work and have nothing but respect for her, something thats lacking in many UK schools.

and as for education in the Phils, my wife has a degree in biology and also one in medicine, and from what i've seen here in the uk, shes just as skilled and knowledgeable, if not more so than many british docotors, filipino nurses are regarded by most NHS trusts as being some of the best.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree with you Joe!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

There's also plenty of Filipino highly Skilled like engineer, seaman, doctor, business man, etc lives in many other countries.

KeithD
12th March 2008, 12:56
Don't forget the US found and cracked the Enigma machine, and by that won the Battle of the Atlantic :doh

kimmi
12th March 2008, 13:26
oh i just bought some fish and chips and then when I came back..:Erm::NoNo:

sorry I am not an American nor a British citizen..

but can anyone pls tell me the meaning of TRACHYOTOMY???:Rasp:

KeithD
12th March 2008, 13:34
but can anyone pls tell me the meaning of TRACHYOTOMY???:Rasp:
It's like Strapadictomy but in a differnet place :Erm:

kimmi
12th March 2008, 13:35
oh Boss i thought it's :Erm::Erm:..that's why its a big issue for him...he he he

Ping
12th March 2008, 14:11
RHB'S spelling was wrong .It is a TRACHEOTOMY derives from the word trachea or windpipe. It is a sort of operation in the neck to give the patient an airway, so the the person can breath. Its a medical term and even RHB has a masters degree in education mispelled it.

kimmi
12th March 2008, 14:16
RHB'S spelling was wrong .It is a TRACHEOTOMY derives from the word trachea or windpipe. It is a sort of operation in the neck to give the patient an airway, so the the person can breath. Its a medical term and even RHB has a masters degree in education mispelled it.

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ping
12th March 2008, 14:21
Hello KIMMI can I have your number if its okay or if you wish to talk to me. Just send it to KEITH. I can't send and recieve pm, so send it to him. Thanks.

KeithD
12th March 2008, 15:51
I can't send and recieve pm, so send it to him. Thanks.

Should behave yourself then :D :xxparty-smiley-004:

nethlewy
12th March 2008, 18:10
''............a war in which the U.S. saved your beloved UK, and you don't have the sense to realize it, or acknowledge it.''

Is it realise or realize?

aromulus
12th March 2008, 19:23
''............a war in which the U.S. saved your beloved UK, and you don't have the sense to realize it, or acknowledge it.''

Whose beloved UK............... Paleface...????:Erm::Erm:

Is it realise or realize?

re·al·ize http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/premium.gif http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pnghttp://cache.lexico.com/g/d/speaker.gif (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fbrowse%2Frealise)/ˈrihttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngəˌlaɪz/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ree-uh-lahyz]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciationverb, -ized, -iz·ing. –verb (used with object) 1.to grasp or understand clearly. 2.to make real; give reality to (a hope, fear, plan, etc.). 3.to bring vividly to the mind. 4.to convert into cash or money: to realize securities. 5.to obtain as a profit or income for oneself by trade, labor, or investment. 6.to bring as proceeds, as from a sale: The goods realized $1000. 7.Music. to sight-read on a keyboard instrument or write out in notation the full harmony and ornamentation indicated by (a figured bass). 8.Linguistics. to serve as an instance, representation, or embodiment of (an abstract linguistic element or category): In “Jack tripped,” the subject is realized by “Jack,” the predicate by “tripped,” and the past tense by “-ed.” –verb (used without object) 9.to convert property or goods into cash or money.
Also, especially British, re·al·ise.

And in the original version... In the Queen's English........... With an "S"

andypaul
12th March 2008, 19:38
Don't forget the US found and cracked the Enigma machine, and by that won the Battle of the Atlantic :doh

I thought it was the poles working in the uk who did that. Some things never change:D.

kimmi
13th March 2008, 13:08
is this thread is all about spelling??

am glad Dom is here..:)

aromulus
13th March 2008, 13:16
is this thread is all about spelling??

am glad Dom is here..:)

Not really.

A little bit of history too, diba...?

Someone was under the impression that a particular country won a war singlehandedly.:doh

But I have to admit that as "friendly fire" goes, they are absolutely champions......:NoNo:

Can't beat their scorelines in a month of Sundays.....:D

kimmi
13th March 2008, 13:17
wow ur learning tagalog na ha..:)

KeithD
14th March 2008, 11:13
But I have to admit that as "friendly fire" goes, they are absolutely champions......:NoNo:

:xxsmilie_auslachen: :laugher::laugher::laugher:

IanB
14th March 2008, 14:37
No education system is worse than the UK's

I hereby challenge you to a maths contest against my 15 year old son. Education in the UK is generally excellent, and way ahead of what I did 20 years ago.

Ian

IanB
14th March 2008, 14:45
Actually if I were PM I would make it compulsory for everyone to spend a day at their local secondary school. I think it would get rid of this bullshit about UK schools being crap. I have been to my son's school on numerous occasions with no notice (and my ex wife's daughter's school). both are local comprehensive schoolds. Both have very good teaching standards. While there are some problems with bullying, the behaviour of most of the pupils I have seen is exemplary - including holding open doors and asking if you want help.

Plus, I would estimate that the education is about 1-2 years ahead of what I did in a grammar School in the 70s. Throw into this wall to wall computers, superb facilities for music (band practise rooms, drum kits, theatre), and as a parent I have nothing to complain about.

Get your info from the real world - not the daily wail!

Ian

KeithD
14th March 2008, 15:33
I hereby challenge you to a maths contest against my 15 year old son. Education in the UK is generally excellent, and way ahead of what I did 20 years ago.

Ian
I'd whip his ass, my mind works nearly as fast as Carol Vorderman's when it comes to maths, hence I'm so successful at running over 50 businesses at once :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I take it your kid didn't go to school in inner Manchester or Liverpool, and the Business institutions in this country must all have it wrong saying they can no longer get educated school leavers to the standard they used to in the past. :doh

joebloggs
14th March 2008, 15:58

Ian

i'll pass, but if he wants to challenge my mother-in-law (whos near retirement age :yikes:) , i'll put a few £ on her winning :icon_lol:

(she lectures in accountancy at a uni in the phils, i know its a loaded bet, but i only gamble when i know i can win :D)

everyone thinks kids today are experts in computing and IT becuase they know how to turn a pc on or load winodws :icon_lol:

make me :icon_lol:, i knew more about puters 25yrs ago than 99% of kids today...

the good old days :rolleyes:

andypaul
19th March 2008, 10:34
i'll pass, but if he wants to challenge my mother-in-law (whos near retirement age :yikes:) , i'll put a few £ on her winning :icon_lol:

(she lectures in accountancy at a uni in the phils, i know its a loaded bet, but i only gamble when i know i can win :D)

everyone thinks kids today are experts in computing and IT becuase they know how to turn a pc on or load winodws :icon_lol:

make me :icon_lol:, i knew more about puters 25yrs ago than 99% of kids today...

the good old days :rolleyes:

So Joe you could program in HTML and use Macros in ms office progs 25 years ago blimey:D

Yesterday I helped take a Lesson at a School in London in I.T studies I was very impressed and most when offered extra work and to carry on in their break did!

They all created Basic Web pages and some of the work i was shown by the keener ones (who were not a small minority or the usual suspects i must add) was dam good.
They also had after school lessons/club where we got the pupils to write programs on some phones we brought in to the school, in Java. The rate at which they picked this up was incredible and the ideas and creatvity was great to see. Next week we are going to dip into Java and use it on some emedded I.T equipment (ie real life skills which this country badly needs not media studies experts :cwm23:). The teacher was worried we might leave some of the pupils behind but all have grasped the ideas, like i have written before we simply dont push our kids enough:NoNo:

If it had not been for the mini riot and attempted sexual assault which occured outside the door of the classroom i would have said it really changed my mind.

Welsh_Italian
19th March 2008, 11:34
Well now I know you are desperate for a comback, since you have to refer to a war in which the U.S. saved your beloved UK, and you don't have the sense to realize it, or acknowledge it. Your musings are ethnocentricity at its worst, and rather insulting to the thousands of yanks that gave there lives to save your sorry ass.

The point is your misunderstanding of the terms educated, and intelligence, which you used interchangebly. Clearly you divert because you can't defend your misspoken words.

We can do this forever, or you can follow the advice of one of your subscribers and get it back to topic, after all, your the admin, not a spammer.

this is fun actually

And the British Navy stopped the US from being invaded by a superior foe. btw, if you saved our limey asses, the soviets saved uncle Sam. The largest battles by far were between the Germans and the Soviets, who took the brunt of the axis fighting machine by a very large margin. US forces alone would probably have been smashed.

Ok comradeski?

joebloggs
19th March 2008, 12:45
So Joe you could program in HTML and use Macros in ms office progs 25 years ago blimey:D

Yesterday I helped take a Lesson at a School in London in I.T studies I was very impressed and most when offered extra work and to carry on in their break did!

They all created Basic Web pages and some of the work i was shown by the keener ones (who were not a small minority or the usual suspects i must add) was dam good.
They also had after school lessons/club where we got the pupils to write programs on some phones we brought in to the school, in Java. The rate at which they picked this up was incredible and the ideas and creatvity was great to see. Next week we are going to dip into Java and use it on some emedded I.T equipment (ie real life skills which this country badly needs not media studies experts :cwm23:). The teacher was worried we might leave some of the pupils behind but all have grasped the ideas, like i have written before we simply dont push our kids enough:NoNo:

If it had not been for the mini riot and attempted sexual assault which occured outside the door of the classroom i would have said it really changed my mind.

in the old days ,there wasn't programs to desgin webpages, not like today, yes by hand, sat with me text editor, just as i use to write assembly language by hand in the early 80's. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

more than 27yrs on, and i still can remember 6502 mnemonics :doh how sad is that.. :NoNo:

things have moved on, IDE's make it so easy to program now, not like the old days of having to link, complie and make it an exe by shelling to dos :cwm24:

i still haven't meet a teenager who surprised me with how much they know about IT, usually how little they know.. :doh.

show me a teenager who knows about database management, system concepts, conceptual data models and not how to print 'hello world' in java :D

but kids are quick learners, my daughter knows how to get to websites, and little marius knows how to turn the pc and monitor off, esp when i'm downloading .. :doh

but i agree kids are not pushed enough,,

andypaul
19th March 2008, 15:41
in the old days ,there wasn't programs to desgin webpages, not like today, yes by hand, sat with me text editor, just as i use to write assembly language by hand in the early 80's. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

more than 27yrs on, and i still can remember 6502 mnemonics :doh how sad is that.. :NoNo:

things have moved on, IDE's make it so easy to program now, not like the old days of having to link, complie and make it an exe by shelling to dos :cwm24:

i still haven't meet a teenager who surprised me with how much they know about IT, usually how little they know.. :doh.

show me a teenager who knows about database management, system concepts, conceptual data models and not how to print 'hello world' in java :D

but kids are quick learners, my daughter knows how to get to websites, and little marius knows how to turn the pc and monitor off, esp when i'm downloading .. :doh

but i agree kids are not pushed enough,,

Mate one step at a time and im impressed how many do program like us with our print out from magazines. Most will do something if they see a result. For example one pupil had made a application which made the name inputed look cool and funky in a different font with symbols around it very simple but impressed all the other pupils who wanted a copy and its a start:xxgrinning--00xx3: Geez they are only taster lessons:D

What i was also impressed with is nowdays many schools, colleges and unis at least teach their kids aspects of ecdl and many give them the chance to pass it. I recomend taking the ECDL to any Phills who wanna get a job in a UK office where using Microsoft office is a given almost as much as being able to read and write.

For example if they make an application which they can use so a scanner will scan a paticular area of a page and put a header on the top of the page automatically may not sound much but its the sort of application companies need and want.
It shows them look this I.T marlarky its all sorts of things from creating spreadsheets with very complicated formulas (required in a lot of advanced and not so advanced jobs nowdays to creating an HTML page or using one of the web page creating applications are basic functions in many jobs in non I.T related jobs, but one people need quite often to go on basic courses to do while at work or they outsource:doh.

Not everyone needs to be an I.T gensius but the basic levels of all need to be raised those specialising can learn all about databases yawn:D

joebloggs
20th March 2008, 12:14
one pupil had made a application which made the name inputed look cool and funky in a different font with symbols around it very simple but impressed all the other pupils who wanted a copy and its a start:xxgrinning--00xx3:

yes and next they'll be doing their fonts and symbols on someones back wall with a spray can :doh

i'm pulling your leg :D, i agree with everything you said :xxgrinning--00xx3:

when i was at school just b4 i left, the school had just bought a commodore pet :icon_lol:, well for me it all started with a article in a PET magazine back in 1980 on how to do assembly language for it and for a few years i was hooked on it, til i got burn't out, and no longer cared :cwm24:
and then i got a 'proper' job :bigcry:

walesrob
20th March 2008, 12:21
when i was at school just b4 i left, the school had just bought a commodore pet :icon_lol:,

Our school had 2 BBC computers back in 1984...I remember learning BASIC

10 Type "win2win smells"
20 Goto 10
press ENTER/RUN

win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells
win2win smells

hours of fun :NoNo:

joebloggs
20th March 2008, 12:37
:xxgrinning--00xx3: nice one rob

10 print "scousers are losers!"
20 goto 10

run

:cwm23:

:doh

need quickbasic, whatever happened to it :Erm:

Alan
20th March 2008, 15:25
POKE 175

IF..........THEN.

Ah, memories - all basic, mind.

Al.:)

joebloggs
20th March 2008, 15:32
don't forget, you might need to PEEK b4 you POKE AL :D
or you'rll lose what was there :doh

KeithD
20th March 2008, 18:09
10 print "Mancs are boring and repetitive!"
20 goto 10

KeithD
20th March 2008, 18:10
...and for the Welsh...

10 print "Please read the line below.....
20 goto 10

Alan
21st March 2008, 01:29
don't forget, you might need to PEEK b4 you POKE AL :D
or you'rll lose what was there :doh

Ah yes Joe - I was PEEKING and POKING a lot in those days! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My first 'puter was a VIC20 BTW. 3k of memory don't you know.

andypaul
21st March 2008, 11:51
All these Yank computers what was wrong with sinclairs, dragon and acorns?

friend
22nd March 2008, 15:31
All these Yank computers what was wrong with sinclairs, dragon and acorns?

Ah yes. The ZX81 with its wobbly RAM pack that added a whole 16K to its native 1K - as long as you had a piece of plasticene to hold it in place. And the Acorn Electron, with a fantastic keyboard, for those of us who couldn't afford the BBC model.

Those were the days.... thank goodness they've gone :D

joebloggs
25th March 2008, 11:26
Ah yes Joe - I was PEEKING and POKING a lot in those days! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My first 'puter was a VIC20 BTW. 3k of memory don't you know.

vic 20 :xxgrinning--00xx3:, :icon_lol: i did a few games for that in the early 80's, for a very famous buget label mastertronic ...

:furious3: still owe me some :REGamblMoney01HL1:

probably no one has realised i've not been online for 4 days :Erm: :D

been busy doing me relational database assignment :cwm24::bigcry::Help1:

in near 30yrs of IT, by far the hardest subject i've ever done :doh.

KeithD
25th March 2008, 12:28
in near 30yrs of IT, by far the hardest subject i've ever done :doh.
I use it in PHP, only took me about 3hrs to pick it up. Very powerful stuff though, although I still use text DAT files for some things.

joebloggs
25th March 2008, 12:38
I use it in PHP, only took me about 3hrs to pick it up. Very powerful stuff though, although I still use text DAT files for some things.

theory side is a pain in the :action-smiley-081: scouser keith, not the pratical side, i grew up using dbase2&3 when i was younger :D

theory side is heavy going, boring conceptual data models, distributed database management, E-R diagrams, normalization etc... :doh :Help1:

i knew i should have done wireless networking :doh

Alan
25th March 2008, 14:39
Wrote some programs in BASIC myself in those days. Had to save them on cassette tape!!!!!

First one I wrote was an adventure called 'Gremda.'

2.6k in length and took about 20 mins to load from tape!!!

LAUGH?????

I never did!

joebloggs
25th March 2008, 15:13
Wrote some programs in BASIC myself in those days. Had to save them on cassette tape!!!!!

First one I wrote was an adventure called 'Gremda.'

2.6k in length and took about 20 mins to load from tape!!!

LAUGH?????

I never did!

well worse than the vic20 for loading from tape was the zx81, speccy and the atari xl range, could take 45 mins and fail at the end :doh
:bigcry::furious3::Brick:

hows life treating you in the phils AL ?

IanB
28th March 2008, 10:39
When I were a lad kids left school at 15, and most of them had qualificationsin little more than metal work. The majority of kids were consigned to "secondary modern" schools which had low academic standards.

You may be as fast as Carol Vorderman, but you don't have her body so you don't get my vote.

Ian