PDA

View Full Version : British man facing jail over his 'adultery' with a Filipino woman

walesrob
24th February 2008, 13:20
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=517821&in_page_id=1879

The moral of the story (as harsh as it is): When in the Philippines, obey the local laws. And don't expect the British Embassy to help you. They won't.

andypaul
24th February 2008, 14:11
Looks like they can't just as we wouldn't want the phill embassy mucking about with our justice system in the UK.

Sadly its a case of make sure as a Brit that you carry out a lot of research of the law here in the UK and Phill even countries you pass though on the way to and from phill.

For example Dubai have very tough laws where even a speck on a drug found on you can give you a four year prison term. Even everyday bought from the chemist drugs may get you in to problems.

baboyako
24th February 2008, 15:50
thats a very new tricycle they're photographed in :D

Its a bit odd that a 35yr old engineering contractor cant raise 7k in an emergency? :Erm:

or is he a plasterer?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=505873&in_page_id=1811

chino
24th February 2008, 16:28
a bit crap for the english man though as you have already said you have to obey the local laws.

ginapeterb
24th February 2008, 17:17
Well I have to say I read this story when it surfaced a few weeks ago, and to be honest, I have some sympathy with David Scott's predicament, as usual you cannot rely on the foreign office to do anything, and the only thing the British Embassy will do is help with providing a Filipino lawyer at your expense.

Now the guy has no money, needs to £7000.00 to pay off the shake down, cos lets face it, if the guy was a Filipino, no one would do anything, since he has no money.

Its a typical situation where the foreigner is treated as an ATM machine cos the miserable husband wants to get something out of it, money money money money money...

So David Scott needs £7000.00 ??

70 of us need to put in £100.00 each ?

Someone who is fairly wealthy, may step in and help him out, and pay the £7000.00, lets hope so, so that there is a happy ending to this story.

ginapeterb
24th February 2008, 17:29
shake Down Filipino Style

KeithD
24th February 2008, 18:05
Can't he offer the Filipino guy a free homosexual :Sex: to even the score? :D

ginapeterb
24th February 2008, 18:54
Nope Keith me old mate, he wants the shake down proceeds, Php 500,000 is not bad...for insulting his honour, and is anyone going to tell me, this guy was not wetting his whistle when he works overseas.....hmmmmm

It seems its one law for the Filipino..and one law for the rest.

KeithD
24th February 2008, 19:13
Maybe one of the girls on here can phone up the folk in charge and ask what is he going to do about his illegitimate baby :cwm24:

fred
25th February 2008, 00:56
Maybe one of the girls on here can phone up the folk in charge and ask what is he going to do about his illegitimate baby :cwm24:

The baby is not illegitimate..
She was born within wedlock and has Filipino father!

ginapeterb
25th February 2008, 09:27
Yes Fred is right, under Philippine law the baby is the child of the father, who is the Filipino reklamo husband, however, who would want a child when you know the wife has had an affair with a foreigner, I think he is going to have a hard time with that.

Whats required here, is £7000.00 to pay him off, then I think he will drop teh charges and melt away with more money than he has ever had in his life...

Its a Shakedown.

KeithD
25th February 2008, 09:34
The baby is not illegitimate..
She was born within wedlock and has Filipino father!
:doh The clue was in the "Maybe one of the girls ON HERE......" :rolleyes:

kimmi
25th February 2008, 13:13
:Erm::Erm::Help1::omg::xxgrinning--00xx3::Erm::NoNo:

Philip
28th February 2008, 18:54
Crikey, what a crazy situation!

If they get jailed, that asshole husband will probably make that baby's life hell.

Let's help the guy out, with a guaranteed payback later. :rolleyes:

chino
23rd April 2008, 14:18
Bump

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7359723.stm

joebloggs
23rd April 2008, 15:03
and maybe another reason why not many people get a unmarried visa for thier filipina g/f who is still married ,, you need evidence you've been living togther 2 years, but risk getting sent to prison for adultry

jencha8569
23rd April 2008, 16:32
i read the link walesrob posted and found out its the story my boyfriend telling me last night. as i have read it awhile ago feel sad and pitty about the situation david and cynthia going thru. i know its really hard especially they have a baby now. somtimes laws are harsh in whatever country. what i know now is how i wish i can help i myself is broke too..hehe
we need good samaritans here..hehe

hope david and cynthia will fix this things up and to neil (cynthias husband) if u against the couple then be it but at least be considerate to the baby's future.

keithAngel
24th April 2008, 13:07
Hmm this looks like a can of worms How I read this legal separation is irrelevant to the offence and as a guy you commit it if you previously knew she is married

So every "separated" woman on any dating site is a 7 year jail sentence waiting to happen .

"New Ballgame"

aromulus
24th April 2008, 13:19
Hmm this looks like a can of worms How I read this legal separation is irrelevant to the offence and as a guy you commit it if you previously knew she is married

So every "separated" woman on any dating site is a 7 year jail sentence waiting to happen .

"New Ballgame"

Bullseyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lanstuart
24th April 2008, 13:58
:Erm::Erm::Help1::omg::xxgrinning--00xx3::Erm::NoNo:

hi kimmi,

how are you na?long time hindi tayo nag-usap i though you phone me back in 10mins but its ok i understand maybe your buzy,,tsanga pala nagmeet na kami ni allyn dito sa glassgow she's very nice and friendly,, eh tayo kailan?just call me if you want to meet pwede kami nang husband ko punta dyan sa inyo kung ok lang...

love,
lanie & stuart
:Hellooo:

ginapeterb
24th April 2008, 14:19
The David Scott case goes to prove, that Filipino law is not applied evenly and equitably, arguably David Scott may have committed an offence under Philippine law, hence the fact that they authorities there have tried to pursue him whilst he is in the country.

No doubt once he has left the jurisdiction of the Philippines they may not pursue him for an offence which is in fact a social construct of a set of laws which are belong back in the dark ages of all time.

The Philippines is awash with men who commit this so called offence of adultery every day, hundreds of thousands of men up and down the 7000+ islands are guilty of this very offence, whether it be by committing adultery with a young babae, or a.n. other's wife it is simply not treated in the same way as in our unlucky foreigners case.

It is in fact called Sexual intercourse with a woman who is not his wife under scandalous circustances, to prove the charge, if ever such a charge may be brought, 4 witnesses are required to substaniate the dirty deed.

Now in the case of a Filipino woman married under the family code of the Philippines, should she commit an act of adultery whilst being married to another man, she in fact is criminalized for this alledged offence, even if seperated by judicial proceedings or by common law consent.

In this case, Miss Delfino was seperated from the Filipino husband for some time, the husband worked abroad, and was in the process of petitioning the Filipino supreme court for a Legal Anulment to the said marriage between him and Miss Delfino.

The law states that any child born to a subsisting marriage in the Philippines becomes the child of that marriage, in our case here, although David Scott is cleary the biological father, this has little bearing on the case, since the Filipino husband is deemed to be the lawful Father.

If that be true, where does that leave Mr Scott, and now that he has escaped to Thailand, is awaiting the result of a visa appliction that would allow him to return to the UK with his common law wife and baby, where does he stand now ?

And will the British Embassy in Bangkok ignore the laws of the Philippines, and will an extradition request be made in respect of Miss Delfino, and to a lesser extent Mr Scott.

Certainly its hard to understand why Miss Delfino has been criminalized over her relationship with David Scott, and since David Scott is not legally married, it beggars beleif as to how he somehow is also being criminalized over such a dark age set of laws.

The fact of the matter is, David Scott is a victim of being a foreigner, if it were a Filipino, we would not be hearing about this case whatsoever, and where there is a foreigner, there is money to be extorted, the Philippines sadly apply double standards here.

If it were a man, its kind of laughed off, and that we should not worry because the man knows he cannot go any further than having ilicit sex with his young babae.

If its a woman, she is ostracized and criminalized, and can be imprisoned for up to 7 years if an offence is proven.

I hope David Scott gets the visa for himself and Miss Delfino and his child, I hope they get back to UK ok, and can start their life together, the embarasment is on the good for nothing Filipino ex husband, who looks kind of stupid really, the fact is, he neglected his relationship with his wife, who then went off and found someone to love her, who was shall we say, 10 times the man he was.

And to back that up with good evidence, just look at what David Scott has had to endure, he could have left the country, when told to do so by his British Embassy appointed Lawyer.

He was released on a technicality, known only to Filipino police as John Doe, when it was too late for them to do anything, he was then free to escape to other parts of Manila.

He could have come back to UK, he chose not to do so, he decided to stay with Miss Delfino, and come what may face the music, he did that, and lived rough in a room somewhere probably looking up the ass of a carabao, he lived on charity from his freinds.

He could have come back to the safety and comfort of a more progressive and normal society, hats off to him, he chose to stay and protect his family.

Yes I hope it all comes good for Mr David Scott, no doubt we will see things in the papers in due course.

jencha8569
24th April 2008, 14:37
yes i agree Mr. scott could have choose to leave the country live in uk to have a normal and good life but he chose to be with his family against all the odds he may endure thats bravery and love for his partner and child.

keithAngel
24th April 2008, 17:00
Good to here about the power of love and defeat of the scammer

jencha8569
24th April 2008, 17:04
dark ages indeed well said pete
i am with ya on that one.

kimmi
25th April 2008, 18:12
hi kimmi,

how are you na?long time hindi tayo nag-usap i though you phone me back in 10mins but its ok i understand maybe your buzy,,tsanga pala nagmeet na kami ni allyn dito sa glassgow she's very nice and friendly,, eh tayo kailan?just call me if you want to meet pwede kami nang husband ko punta dyan sa inyo kung ok lang...

love,
lanie & stuart
:Hellooo:

hi Lanie,

how are u na?? sorry I wasnt able to call u back, I am doing loads of rakets lately eh(Kuya AndyPaul know what it is:D)..How's Allyn??hope we can meet soon..:xxgrinning--00xx3::BouncyHappy: also Allyn..:Hellooo::Hellooo: sure u and ur hubby can come to our house anytime if u want..we will talk soon..regards to Stuart..:Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Gavanddal
25th April 2008, 19:35
I wish my ex-wife had got 7 years in jail for adultery!!!!:icon_lol:

andypaul
26th April 2008, 00:45
hi Lanie,

how are u na?? sorry I wasnt able to call u back, I am doing loads of rakets lately eh(Kuya AndyPaul know what it is:D)..How's Allyn??hope we can meet soon..:xxgrinning--00xx3::BouncyHappy: also Allyn..:Hellooo::Hellooo: sure u and ur hubby can come to our house anytime if u want..we will talk soon..regards to Stuart..:Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3:

um your going to play tennis:Erm:

kimmi
26th April 2008, 13:08
um your going to play tennis:Erm:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::doh:doh:doh

scottie102
1st May 2008, 19:15
a story about the plight of myself, my baby daughter and girlfriend Cynthia in the Philippines.
This has led to a postbag with comments from some people critical of my actions.
I would like to say that when I began my relationship with Cynthia her relationship with her husband had long since broken up,
we did hear that her ex husband does have a girlfriend shes from australia by all accounts but we got no way to prove it,
and while adultery is illegal in the Philippines actions are very rarely taken, and almost never against the men in these marriages. The husband had actually asked for an annulment himself as he was in another relationship.
Sadly the husband in the case decided it was an opportunity to make money because, I believe, he thought I was a rich foreigner, and submitted a claim firstly for £7,000, and now £30,000.
appreciate any help and advice that you can give i know im out of my depth here.
I believe payments were made to officials to have us arrested.
Because we have a baby daughter born and being brought up in a loving relationship it would be difficult to defend ourselves, and we both faced jail, with the horrific thought that our daughter would be handed over to Cynthia’s estranged husband under Philippines law.
I am sure if I was a Filipino this would never had made the courts.
We sought help at the British Embassy in Manila as well as human rights officials who advised us to leave.
In doing so, very large amounts of cash were demanded (illegally) for the proper and legal documentation. We were not fleeing justice. We want justice for our baby. We were fleeing corruption.
My mum is at her wits end and cries when she sees Janina on web cam and wants to hold her as soon as possible.
It has been a nightmare, but I cannot desert the woman I love and the daughter I love. We hope the British government has a heart and looks on our case sympathetically.and i have no money
asking for your help and advice
all i want to do is take care of my family.So once again please please help us on what to do

andypaul
1st May 2008, 19:29
Welcome David and Cynithia to the site.

ginapeterb
1st May 2008, 19:32
David

Welcome to the forum mate, we have all been following your case for a while now, I did a peice on my website about you a couple of weeks ago, at http://www.british-filipino.com.

Don't despair, there will always be good and bad comments about your case, anyway, just to let you know, there are many people on your side, and I hope you have been following the forum threads and reading about what people here have said.

I know you cannot reveal where you are, but you can drop me a line at my personal e mail, let us know how you are..and how it is going by personal messaging me.

As regards to help David, your case is kind of complex, in that I believe the British authorities are kind of tied into the Philippines because of the bridge building contracts they don't want to rock the boat about.

Secondly, Its a political hot potatoe, the Philippine government knows full well they are totally corrupt, (that is officials), the problem for so many of us David, is that we have to go in country, and pass through immigration, at any time we can be pulled by Bureau of immigration officials, and then we end up on a mission warrant, that can incarcerate us for no reason.

Its in our best interests to keep a low profile when in country, I suggest your Mother keeps up the pressure on her local MP, who I understand has promised to help you in every way that she can.

Anyway, I would not worry too much about Delphino's extortion racketeering, you don't have £7000.00 let alone £30,000 so thats a none starter.

I researched Filipino law in respect of your case, and Katrina Legarda the lawyer who commented on your case, who I saw in London about 2 years ago, has said, that under Filipino law, the child is subject of the former marriage, however its my understanding you have left the jurisdiction of the Philippines, after seeing newspapers reports, it appears you got out.

Since you have left Filipino jurisdiction, I assume there laws have no bearing outside of the country.

I doubt whether they will see any mileage in pursuing you, extortion for monetary gain is only worth doing if the target of the sting is wealthy, which you are not.

Obviously we are not privvy to your current location, or what help is being extended to you, and naturally you would not want to disclose your location or what is being done for you.

Naturally the Foreign office are aware of your case, you know what happens, they move slowly, as for help from us, we mainly give visa advice, and to be honest, you are already in contact with British Embassy in your location, that is the best we can say at this time.

I would have thought you could keep up the pressure on the press in the UK by trying to get your name in the papers a little more, I saw numerous stories in the Mail, Sun, Express, and other publications, you need to keep up the pressure, maybe you can persuade one of them to do a human interest story on your case, in exchange for financial help, e mail the newspapers in London and offer them an exclusive, you can then tell your story.

Best wishes

andypaul
1st May 2008, 19:55
David

Welcome to the forum mate, we have all been following your case for a while now, I did a peice on my website about you a couple of weeks ago, at http://www.british-filipino.com.

Don't despair, there will always be good and bad comments about your case, anyway, just to let you know, there are many people on your side, and I hope you have been following the forum threads and reading about what people here have said.

I know you cannot reveal where you are, but you can drop me a line at my personal e mail, let us know how you are..and how it is going by personal messaging me.

As regards to help David, your case is kind of complex, in that I believe the British authorities are kind of tied into the Philippines because of the bridge building contracts they don't want to rock the boat about.

Secondly, Its a political hot potatoe, the Philippine government knows full well they are totally corrupt, (that is officials), the problem for so many of us David, is that we have to go in country, and pass through immigration, at any time we can be pulled by Bureau of immigration officials, and then we end up on a mission warrant, that can incarcerate us for no reason.

Its in our best interests to keep a low profile when in country, I suggest your Mother keeps up the pressure on her local MP, who I understand has promised to help you in every way that she can.

Anyway, I would not worry too much about Delphino's extortion racketeering, you don't have £7000.00 let alone £30,000 so thats a none starter.

I researched Filipino law in respect of your case, and Katrina Legarda the lawyer who commented on your case, who I saw in London about 2 years ago, has said, that under Filipino law, the child is subject of the former marriage, however its my understanding you have left the jurisdiction of the Philippines, after seeing newspapers reports, it appears you got out.

Since you have left Filipino jurisdiction, I assume there laws have no bearing outside of the country.

I doubt whether they will see any mileage in pursuing you, extortion for monetary gain is only worth doing if the target of the sting is wealthy, which you are not.

Obviously we are not privvy to your current location, or what help is being extended to you, and naturally you would not want to disclose your location or what is being done for you.

Naturally the Foreign office are aware of your case, you know what happens, they move slowly, as for help from us, we mainly give visa advice, and to be honest, you are already in contact with British Embassy in your location, that is the best we can say at this time.

I would have thought you could keep up the pressure on the press in the UK by trying to get your name in the papers a little more, I saw numerous stories in the Mail, Sun, Express, and other publications, you need to keep up the pressure, maybe you can persuade one of them to do a human interest story on your case, in exchange for financial help, e mail the newspapers in London and offer them an exclusive, you can then tell your story.

Best wishes

Thats where possibly members here could help by writing to the newspapers and media, as all media want to reach out and deal with subjects their punters are intrested in. Also if we knew where your Mum is based Dave in the uk, those local could write to their local MP to remind he or she of the intrest (ie votes and publicty) this case warrants.

Sim11UK
1st May 2008, 20:09
His mum is based in Swindon.

Piamed
1st May 2008, 20:17
Welcome David and Cynthia.

Keeping up the public interest/pressure is surely the way to go.

Wishing you and your family the best!

Toks

Eljohno
1st May 2008, 20:44
Being white they will not believe that you have no money..

I am going over to the Philippines for a couple of weeks and then for good so if i can help in anyway please let me know.

John

andypaul
1st May 2008, 20:46
His mum is based in Swindon.

Would you know the MPs name by any chance?

People may politely wish to email or write to the MP highlighting how important an issue this is to people.

Sim11UK
1st May 2008, 22:05
Would you know the MPs name by any chance?

People may politely wish to email or write to the MP highlighting how important an issue this is to people.

I don't know the MP? There has been a bit of media interest, with it being on the local news, several times. Somebody posted a link recently, to a clip from the BBC, presumably on this thread?
There's got to be a happy ending to this surely?

keithAngel
1st May 2008, 22:35
Hi Scotty if you decide you would like profile raising let us know who your mp is and I for one will start networking depends on the advice your getting from the Embassy sometimes things need to be done quietly.

You all have my best wishes and any support I can offer please ask perhaps the boss could give you PM facilities

andypaul
2nd May 2008, 00:28
Hi Scotty if you decide you would like profile raising let us know who your mp is and I for one will start networking depends on the advice your getting from the Embassy sometimes things need to be done quietly.

You all have my best wishes and any support I can offer please ask perhaps the boss could give you PM facilities

Wise words

Mrs.JMajor
2nd May 2008, 02:28
Welcome to the forum scotty,we are so glad you join here even though we don't know how we help u in some ways....will pray for you !!

god bless you and Cynthia as well as Janina

Alan
2nd May 2008, 02:37
Welcome David - glad that you found us.

I totally agree with Peter on the 'newspapers' aspect.

The press can be a pain in the a**e - but they can also be helpful (if it helps them to sell their product of course.)
AND...........the papers have money!!!

Good luck to all 3 of you.

Al.:)

LEAHnew
2nd May 2008, 02:59
Welcome Scotty. My Prayes to both of you.
May God Bless You.

jencha8569
2nd May 2008, 07:31
a story about the plight of myself, my baby daughter and girlfriend Cynthia in the Philippines.
This has led to a postbag with comments from some people critical of my actions.
I would like to say that when I began my relationship with Cynthia her relationship with her husband had long since broken up,
we did hear that her ex husband does have a girlfriend shes from australia by all accounts but we got no way to prove it,
and while adultery is illegal in the Philippines actions are very rarely taken, and almost never against the men in these marriages. The husband had actually asked for an annulment himself as he was in another relationship.
Sadly the husband in the case decided it was an opportunity to make money because, I believe, he thought I was a rich foreigner, and submitted a claim firstly for £7,000, and now £30,000.ie a
appreciate any help and advice that you can give i know im out of my depth here.
I believe payments were made to officials to have us arrested.
Because we have a baby daughter born and being brought up in a loving relationship it would be difficult to defend ourselves, and we both faced jail, with the horrific thought that our daughter would be handed over to Cynthia’s estranged husband under Philippines law.
I am sure if I was a Filipino this would never had made the courts.
We sought help at the British Embassy in Manila as well as human rights officials who advised us to leave.
In doing so, very large amounts of cash were demanded (illegally) for the proper and legal documentation. We were not fleeing justice. We want justice for our baby. We were fleeing corruption.
My mum is at her wits end and cries when she sees Janina on web cam and wants to hold her as soon as possible.
It has been a nightmare, but I cannot desert the woman I love and the daughter I love. We hope the British government has a heart and looks on our case sympathetically.and i have no money
asking for your help and advice
all i want to do is take care of my family.So once again please please help us on what to do

welcome scottie

glad you found this site.
many people here willing to help you
just keep in touch. dont lose hope
everything will be good in the end.

we pray for you and ur fam

kimmi
2nd May 2008, 12:35
sorry to hear about ur story, David and Cynthia,and welcome to the forum..
we're praying for u and ur family..just let us know in what ways we can be of help..

God bless..

Korina
2nd May 2008, 14:34
Welcome to the Forum Cynthia and David. As Pete said, that there are many people are on your side. I agree.
Wishing you both more courage and let the smile on your baby`s face be your inspiration to keep you stronger until you get the justice that you`ve been fighting for.
God bless you.

scottie102
5th May 2008, 11:54
it is nice to see that there is still good people left in this
world, I have seen the worst that its worlds got to offer , I have seen
people willing to do anything that they can to make money off a foriegner
the Philippines took everything I had emotionaly and
financially . Its taken everything I have to keep my daughter and cynthia
safe they are the only thing that keeps me going.
my savings have long since run out and we are now surviving on charity from friends and family.
its so unfair on my mum. It's me who should be looking after my mum. She is 62 and disabled and gets very little in the way of pension. She has been scraping round friends and relatives. and my mum got a bad heart
the embassy is not making it any easier for me .British Embassy want my girlfreind
to get an anullment but she can not go back to the phillppines because if
she does then we will both be arrest and she be thrown in prison, also my baby girl will be taken from us.and if me going to prison means that they
will be safe then i would go now. have no money not every for the British Passport for janina i got the dna that the British Embassy want.
Anne Snelgrove MPSouth Swindon
SNELGROVEA@parliament.uk
David,Cynthia,Janina thank you all

keithAngel
7th August 2008, 21:59
Any one have more recent than this update?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/7495609.stm