PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

Elizabeth
17th March 2006, 17:17
Hi, I'm Beth and married to a British based in Bolton. I'm happy to say that I was granted a visa in 5 day period and without any interview. For quite sometime I've been a reader of your informative forum which helped me a lot in preparing for the big day. I'm scheduled to leave the Phils. on 9th of April taking Emirates which I got cheap ($548.64). Anyhow, it would be a big relief if any of you can help me especially your wives as for things I would rather bring and get as pasalubong for my in laws. I would really prefer to bring as much as I can of course the allowable load than to get from a local chinese or filipino store there. Aside from my favorite Lucky Me pansit canton noodles and Nissin's Yakisoba, I will also bring with me assorted nuts, my father in law liked the pili nuts of Bicol and dried mangoes of Cebu, my mother in law would love a batik dress or some coffeetable book about our country. Anymore suggestions that any English would love to get from here and any Filipinas will surely miss. My husband got me a fish sauce already and a rice cooker though. Thanks and more power.

mupsuit
17th March 2006, 17:38
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beth &#064; Mar 17 2006, 04&#58;17 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Anyhow, it would be a big relief if any of you can help me especially your wives as for things I would rather bring and get as pasalubong for my in laws. [/b][/quote]

Hi Beth - welcome to the forum and soon to the UK

My suggestion is that you concentrate on bringing your own things, the 20kg allowance is not very much and I am sure that your new family will realise your need to bring a lot of your own things

Pasalubong is welcome in all cultures but in your special circumstances, ie you are going to live here - just carry all your treasures for yourself - just bring small things like the nuts

when you get here you can arramge to cook your new in-laws a special meal as a token of your regard for them -

Tell us more after you arrive

deepete
17th March 2006, 17:45
Hi Beth and welcome

your husband sounds very considerate and deserves a present, how about some dried fish style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/yikes.gif

Elizabeth
17th March 2006, 18:18
Thanks for the warm welcome. My husband keeps telling me really not to bother as he knows for my bags alone,a dozen that I can&#39;t live without hehehe, and clothes and shoes, the 20 kilos would not suffice. But then the handcarry which is 7 kilos can do for that I think, otherwise I will ask for a shipment to follow as our wedding album alone is 5 kilos already. I thought about the dried fish but afraid that the custom will not allow it due to its odor. I even wanted to bring a bottle of shrimp paste but hubby warned me that it might spill at some point and damaged my stuff. I will definitely cook a meal as this early my husband is already requesting for crispy pata and lumpiang shanghai.

Eljohno
17th March 2006, 19:17
Hi Beth and welcome to the forum, i will start by saying not to bring anymore fish to the uk as i am trying to get the fish here deported before my wife comes haha.

I agree with Mupsuit that you bring mainly the things that matter to you although i understand you want to bring presents to your new parents but you are making a big step and little things that you own and are special will maybe help you just to have them when you are having a bad day.

I hope all goes well for your trip and you settle in the Uk quickly..

John

Admin
17th March 2006, 21:59
You can get all the dried fish, shrimp paste, and everything else from a Chinese warehouse, or similar, and we have a number of Filipino shop.....even on in Rhyl&#33;

ervenescence
17th March 2006, 22:15
Hello Beth,
WELCOME to the forum and congratulation for the success of your visa.

Yes, I agree with the gentlemen here that you focus on bringing personal things with you. Forget about bringing foods likes your favorite pancit canton because you dont have to worry of getting them in the UK. Surely you can find an oriental food store that selling those stuff.

And I tell you what, everything here are so expensive so before going for a trip in the UK, make a list and go for a shopping. Get a few jeans, tops, shoes, bags underwears for yourself. Thats what I did before when I came here. And everytime I visit in the Philippines, I grabbed the opportunity. Shopping&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Giggler.gif

style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
Erve

Eljohno
17th March 2006, 23:54
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ervenescence &#064; Mar 17 2006, 09&#58;15 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hello Beth,
WELCOME to the forum and congratulation for the success of your visa.

Yes, I agree with the gentlemen here that you focus on bringing personal things with you. Forget about bringing foods likes your favorite pancit canton because you dont have to worry of getting them in the UK. Surely you can find an oriental food store that selling those stuff.

And I tell you what, everything here are so expensive so before going for a trip in the UK, make a list and go for a shopping. Get a few jeans, tops, shoes, bags underwears for yourself. Thats what I did before when I came here. And everytime I visit in the Philippines, I grabbed the opportunity. Shopping&#33; style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Giggler.gif
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif
Erve
[/b][/quote]

That is great advice as when i go to bring my wife home in April we are going to both the Ayala Centre & SM in Cebu to fill our suitcases and save loads of money before we get back to the UK.....

Elizabeth
20th March 2006, 11:18
Thanks again for the sound advices. Actually, I have prepared my luggage and its more than 20kgs. already so I wonder where else to put my other stuff as the handcarry will only allow me 7 kgs. My husband told me too that will visit the chinese store asap. If there&#39;s only one thing he asked of me though are the cartridges for his razor. I understand that it cost a lot there to buy a pack. Do you have any idea what are the limit for a ream of cigarrettes I can also bring there? My husband can bring about 10 reams and he give it away as tokens for his mates at work, but I am thinking that since he&#39;s a British he wasn&#39;t questioned for doing so. I am not considering of bringing the same amount though, you think 4 reams will not be questioned? Thanks again.

Admin
20th March 2006, 12:12
As far as I know, from outside Europe you are only allowed 400 ciggies, anything else is taxable by about 25%+

You can always send anything extra here by courier.

Elizabeth
20th March 2006, 17:08
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Mar 20 2006, 11&#58;12 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
As far as I know, from outside Europe you are only allowed 400 ciggies, anything else is taxable by about 25%+

You can always send anything extra here by courier.
[/b][/quote]

I&#39;ll take note of that. Thanks for the info.

ginapeterb
20th March 2006, 17:54
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beth &#064; Mar 20 2006, 04&#58;08 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I&#39;ll take note of that. Thanks for the info.
[/b][/quote]

Hello Beth, and welcome to the Forum, your husband is considerate buying you the rice cooker, Gina and I look forward to seeing you in the UK, and your new life in Bolton, isnt that near our resident scouser ? that is very considerate of you bringing the cartridges for his razor, I use the Gilette Turbo Nitro, and they are about eight quid for 4, so they are so mahal these days in UK, so best of luck with your Emirates flight, I envy you as the entertainment screens on Emirates are so good, enjoy the CD Music on demand, take care and have a good flight back.

Gina and Pete

walesrob
20th March 2006, 20:44
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(admin &#064; Mar 17 2006, 08&#58;59 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You can get all the dried fish, shrimp paste, and everything else from a Chinese warehouse, or similar, and we have a number of Filipino shop.....even on in Rhyl&#33;
[/b][/quote]

Where is that shop in Rhyl? Elsa can&#39;t find any Filipino food shops in this part of Wales?&#33;

Admin
20th March 2006, 22:07
Tell her to ask Ping, her friends have a market stall there. I stick to KFC myself.

Elizabeth
21st March 2006, 14:09
Hi Pete & Gina and the rest in the forum, as for the cartridges, my father in law loved me for that lol&#33; I bought him a about 10 packs of 4 that will last him for a year. I do asked my husband as to what are the stuff that I can get here cheap and i also took note of l&#092;my husband being fascinated with our toothpaste here what with diferent flavors such as chocolate, strawberry etc. if there&#39;s one thing my father in law didn&#39;t like though was that a papaya soap stained his tub. My husband bought one with him even if I insist that there&#39;s no need for him to use one as he&#39;s white as snow already. He just love to try on new things.
This early, my mother in law already spoke to a few filipina nurses neighbor she gets to know thru her friend so hopefully I will not be to homesick on not seeing a filipina there. I&#39;m looking forward too on meeting the couples here when time permits.

Thanks again and more power.

maylene
15th June 2006, 10:50
style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Wave.gif <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beth &#064; Mar 18 2006, 12&#58;17 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hi, I&#39;m Beth and married to a British based in Bolton. I&#39;m happy to say that I was granted a visa in 5 day period and without any interview. For quite sometime I&#39;ve been a reader of your informative forum which helped me a lot in preparing for the big day. I&#39;m scheduled to leave the Phils. on 9th of April taking Emirates which I got cheap (&#036;548.64). Anyhow, it would be a big relief if any of you can help me especially your wives as for things I would rather bring and get as pasalubong for my in laws. I would really prefer to bring as much as I can of course the allowable load than to get from a local chinese or filipino store there. Aside from my favorite Lucky Me pansit canton noodles and Nissin&#39;s Yakisoba, I will also bring with me assorted nuts, my father in law liked the pili nuts of Bicol and dried mangoes of Cebu, my mother in law would love a batik dress or some coffeetable book about our country. Anymore suggestions that any English would love to get from here and any Filipinas will surely miss. My husband got me a fish sauce already and a rice cooker though. Thanks and more power.
[/b][/quote]

kamsta buhay may asawa beth,,,by the way im maylene from manila,,i&#39;ve been met my bf
hes from manchester great britain and im preparing my requirements to have passport,,,anyway
ask ko lang kung very important ng baptismal sa requirements,,kasi my problema ako sa baptis ko
wrong spelling yung name ng mama ko sa baptismal pero not to my birtcertificate,,,malaki ba ang
magiging problema dun?help me guys kasi i want to be w/ my bf as soon as possible i love hhim so
much style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.gif salamat... style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Wave.gif

maylene style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/BouncyHappy.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walesrob &#064; Mar 21 2006, 03&#58;44 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Where is that shop in Rhyl? Elsa can&#39;t find any Filipino food shops in this part of Wales?&#33;
[/b][/quote]
nice pics you&#39;ve got style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif wish my bf are here to take pic togethere,,,,by the way let me introduce
myself...im maylene from phil,manila and i ave bf from manchester i am hoping to ave all my
requirements to ave passport,,,,i want to be w/ im really,,,thanks guys and hhope for your reply,,
see yah style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif

maylene style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif